Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Is 375 Ruger ammo available in Africa???

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Africa & hunting dangerous game

Pages: 1
Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
Is 375 Ruger ammo available in Africa???
      #282913 - 26/05/16 01:46 AM

http://www.sportsafield.com/content/375-ruger-ammo-available-africa

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
larcher
.416 member

Reged: 11/01/05
Loc: Saverne, Alsace, France
Re: Is 375 Ruger ammo available in Africa??? [Re: Ripp]
      #283011 - 28/05/16 06:00 AM

Ripp
Not an easy job to promote (relatively) new ammos.
In my perception, quite a lot of hunters are living a dream about keeping alive the tradition of safaris of lore. Consequently they want to stick to ammos used in the great past time of African safaris of the 1940, 1950 an 1960. That let little oxygen for new ammos even though they can be more efficient ant practical.
More over, safaris are big money and a hunter isn't too inclined to experiment new options. But I have to bow to the indomitable need of American hunters to test at any cost new rifles and new ammos, even jeopardising a safari. Long life to passion!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

--------------------
"I don't want to create an encyclopedic atmosphere here when we might be having a beer instead" P H Capstick in "Safari the last adventure."

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: Is 375 Ruger ammo available in Africa??? [Re: larcher]
      #283024 - 28/05/16 07:57 PM

Quote:

Most dangerous-game PHs will have a couple of suitably large-caliber rifles in camp, (in fact, most carry a spare "client" rifle, in their hunting cars just in case) and a .375 H&H is the most commonly available caliber.

Really, they carry a "spare" rifle just in case the client needs the "spare" rifle. Pretty opportunistic comment and expectation, and NOT true for any of my safaris. The "spare" rifle needs to be arranged IN ADVANCE of the client's arrival. With PHs being often contract PHs they have only what has been arranged. Never needed an outfitter rifle, but did use Karl Stumpfe's 8x68S custom M98 as I wanted to try out the cartridge and also it was a bolt action, both of my rifle's being double rifles. Was pre-arranged.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

larcher
.416 member

Reged: 11/01/05
Loc: Saverne, Alsace, France
Re: Is 375 Ruger ammo available in Africa??? [Re: NitroX]
      #283048 - 29/05/16 04:57 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Most dangerous-game PHs will have a couple of suitably large-caliber rifles in camp, (in fact, most carry a spare "client" rifle, in their hunting cars just in case) and a .375 H&H is the most commonly available caliber.

Really, they carry a "spare" rifle just in case the client needs the "spare" rifle. Pretty opportunistic comment and expectation, and NOT true for any of my safaris. The "spare" rifle needs to be arranged IN ADVANCE of the client's arrival. With PHs being often contract PHs they have only what has been arranged. Never needed an outfitter rifle, but did use Karl Stumpfe's 8x68S custom M98 as I wanted to try out the cartridge and also it was a bolt action, both of my rifle's being double rifles. Was pre-arranged.

John
Not so with Buz. He has a Blaser 375HH handy if need be but without prior arrangement. As I was hunting with a bow, this 375 (Dan McCarthy courtesy) was in the camp if some hunter had troubles or if I wanted to swap . Very efficient in Mozambique as crocs and hippos weren't cooperative with bowhunting. But no prior arranagement.
In Burkina, we could use Touffic's 375, elephants being moderately truculent. In CAR, a deprived of anything country, no spare rifle at all.

--------------------
"I don't want to create an encyclopedic atmosphere here when we might be having a beer instead" P H Capstick in "Safari the last adventure."

Kano
.300 member

Reged: 09/07/03
Loc: East Africa
Re: Is 375 Ruger ammo available in Africa??? [Re: larcher]
      #283052 - 29/05/16 07:00 AM

In Africa where????

Africa is about 4 times the size of the US, and has some 54 countries...

In the vast majority of the sub-Saharan African countries, there is no proper professional gun trade. People get ammo through the usual African network, and calibers that you can expect to find are limited.

albertan
.333 member

Reged: 13/06/06
Loc: Alberta, Canada
Re: Is 375 Ruger ammo available in Africa??? [Re: Kano]
      #283503 - 06/06/16 03:51 PM

Don't expect anything being there in Africa. Reading some classic hunting stories when I was a young boy I expected to find .375 H&H and .470 Nitro ammunition would be as common as Coca-Cola is here. That never was the case, and never will be. If you were to find some Federal Premium ammunition is South Africa, it would be at the very least triple the highest price you would pay in the USA. The importer has to make his cut. The local currency has tanked due to resource prices tanking, corruption, stupidity, etc, and the price reflects this. And last but not least, how bad do you need it.

That is South Africa, and it is a head and shoulders above the rest of the African nations. When I went to Zimbabwe in 2006, I checked with various sources, the Economist and the CIA World Book of Facts in particular, according to them Canada, where I am from, with just 36 million inhabitants, had a larger economy than that of the entire African continent with over a billion inhabitants. After touring the entire Western portion of Zimbabwe for 3 weeks, plus a couple of days spent in South Africa, all I can say is you have to see it for yourself to really appreciate what is wrong.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 33 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2393

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com