Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: No lions for US

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Africa & hunting dangerous game

Pages: 1
gryphon
.450 member

Reged: 01/01/03
Loc: Sambar ground/Victoria/Austral...
No lions for US
      #275457 - 22/12/15 12:28 PM

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-12-22/af...-us-law/7047072

--------------------
Get off the chair away from the desk and get out in the bush and enjoy life.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
CHAPUISARMES
.416 member

Reged: 16/01/08
Loc: DUBBO, NSW, AUSTRALIA
Re: No lions for US [Re: gryphon]
      #275458 - 22/12/15 12:46 PM

Quote.:

'He added that the science shows an enormous loss of life among lions and a failure of current conservation efforts to preserve their numbers.

The rule goes into effect in 30 days.

I guess it will be known as "Cecil's Law"

But trust it was reported on the ABC first in Australia... They hate all hunters.

Al333
.333 member

Reged: 24/02/13
Loc: B.C. Canada
Re: No lions for US [Re: CHAPUISARMES]
      #275459 - 22/12/15 01:12 PM

Just my opinion, but it appears that poaching will go on the increase. And poachers don't put money into the economy. Al

gryphon
.450 member

#275465 - 22/12/15 04:13 PM

Quote:

Quote.:

But trust it was reported on the ABC first in Australia... They hate all hunters.

but! tHEY (abc) DO LOVE THEIR GAY MARDI GRAS!

--------------------

CHAPUISARMES
.416 member

Reged: 16/01/08
Loc: DUBBO, NSW, AUSTRALIA
      #275469 - 22/12/15 05:28 PM

Maybe we need to hunt 'Gay' Lions then...

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
      #275474 - 22/12/15 11:23 PM

So what does this say about price?

Supply and demand says the price of a lion hunt should decrease quite a bit. With far less USA hunters willing to pay exhorbitant prices for a lion safari. If no trophy can be brought home.

"Lion populations have declined 43 per cent in the last two decades due to habitat loss, difficulty finding prey, and increasing conflicts with the growing human population."

None of which includes sporting trophy hunting of lions. In fact as we know, sporting trophy hunting of lion is a lion habitat aid not a detractor.

"The decision, which follows the killing of Cecil in Zimbabwe by an American dentist earlier this year, will pave the way for stricter regulations on the import and export of lion carcasses."

Of course the real reason.

"If we want to ensure that healthy lion populations continue to roam the African savannas and forests of India, it's up to all of us — not just the people of Africa and India — to take action."

So what are ffffing actually doing? All the moaners and groaners about cecil the infamous lion ... how many have actually put their hands into their pockets and wallets to pay for the maintenance of lion habitat? Zero.

"Speaking to reporters on a conference call, Mr Ashe explained that those who have violated wildlife laws in the past will not be granted future licences to hunt lions.

The US government is also seeking to make it more expensive to obtain a lion hunting permit.

"As we have seen in the drastic decline of lion populations, it is the responsibility of the hunting industry and the American hunter in particular to do better," he said."

So lots of guff and BS and no real on the ground conservation strategies.

NOTHING about stopping poaching.

NOTHING about encroachment on wildlife habitat.

NOTHING about compensation schemes for loss of life and stock from lion kills.

Pathetic bunch of wankers like usual ...

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Edited by NitroX (23/12/15 04:23 PM)

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: No lions for US [Re: NitroX]
      #275475 - 22/12/15 11:27 PM

"Experts estimate there were about a half-million lions at the start of the 20th century.

That number declined to about 200,000 by mid-century, and has fallen to about 10 per cent of that number today, largely due to increasing conflicts between the animals and the encroaching human population in sub-Saharan Africa, Mr Ashe said."

What a useless set of numbers to use.

To use from 1900 to today as some sort of 'scientific' justification. When Kenya and Tanzania hardly existed, most of the interior was pretty "dark".

No mention that the reason the decline from mid-century to today is due not to "trophy hunting" but the uncontrolled and incredible expansion of black African populations over this period, and the destruction of wildlife habitat.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

gryphon
.450 member

#275496 - 23/12/15 07:09 AM

Lets equate it to white sharks eh

since the ban on fishing for them here the attack nums espec on the NSW coast have gone right up.

So in Africa lets assume that many more villagers will be eaten by lions or many more stock robbing lions will suffer the poison route..as happens now!

Then the calls will be out to poison them,legally!...but not hunt them.

Lion cubs are euthanised in zoos all around the world as they are such prolific breeders btw.

--------------------

mckinney
.400 member

Reged: 29/01/09
Loc: usa
      #275509 - 23/12/15 12:58 PM

Surely they are wrong on the numbers - only 20,000 lions remaining?

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#275524 - 23/12/15 04:26 PM

Quote:

So in Africa lets assume that many more villagers will be eaten by lions or many more stock robbing lions will suffer the poison route..as happens now!

Then the calls will be out to poison them,legally!...but not hunt them.

Absolutely and if lions have no value to the villagers in terms of hard cash, they will have no place in the bush near villages, so poisoning will increase.

Quote:

Lion cubs are euthanised in zoos all around the world as they are such prolific breeders btw.

Absolutely. Habitat loss and human encroachment is the main cause of decrease in lion populations. Look at the hatred of wolves in Europe and North America by persons connected to the land. Imagine the hatred of lions in comparison.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: No lions for US [Re: mckinney]
      #275525 - 23/12/15 04:28 PM

Quote:

Surely they are wrong on the numbers - only 20,000 lions remaining?

Do you think this is low or high?

From previous estimates, I think it is high??? But really don't know.

I do remember the 3000 to 3500 lions in breeding farms in South Africa, I remember thinking them a valiable resource for the lions future. Not commenting on canned hunting though.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

gryphon
.450 member

#275531 - 23/12/15 05:05 PM

i Have no idea of the 'truth' but here is some dross on it.

LATEST LION POPULATION ESTIMATES
Throughout Africa many people and organizations are working to assess the numbers of lions in a variety of areas. The most complete continent wide assessment showing the lion population in 2012 can be found here.

On this page we will bring you the latest news as we get it about the remaining lions in Africa.

In 2015 the IUCN stated that “The Lion population is inferred to have undergone a reduction of approximately 42% over the past 21 years (approximately three Lion generations, 1993-2014)” and estimated that fewer than 20,000 lions remain.

Bauer, H., Packer, C., Funston, PF, Henschel, P. & Nowell, K. 2015. Panthera leo. The IUCN Red List of Threatened Species. Version 2015.2

February 2014: Surveys of lions in protected areas in Zimbabwe yield disturbing results: what is driving the population collapse?

Direct estimates of lion populations from surveys in Gonarezhou suggests a total population of 33 lions (95% CI 28–39). In Tuli, no lions responded physically or vocally to calling stations, and no lion tracks were observed on the roads during 4 days of searching.

Biomass density of preferred lion prey in Gonarezhou was calculated to be 494 kg km−2, which could support 357 lions (7.2 per 100 km2). Alternative calculation methods suggest the area could support 115 lions and 248 lions.

Groom RJ, Funston PJ, Mandisodza R (2014) Surveys of lions Panthera leo in protected areas in Zimbabwe yield disturbing results: what is driving the population collapse? Oryx, available on CJO2014. doi:10.1017/S0030605312001457 (pdf)

January 2014: The Lion in West Africa Is Critically Endangered (read online article here)

"Lions were confirmed in only 4 PAs ... results suggest that only 406 (273–605) lions remain in West Africa, representing <250 mature individuals. Confirmed lion range is estimated at 49,000 km2, or 1.1% of historical range in West Africa. PAs retaining lions were larger than PAs without lions and had significantly higher management budgets."

Estimates for four areas containing lions in West Africa were given as:

16 (0 - 54) in Niokolo-Koba NP, Senegal
356 (246 - 466) in W-Arly-Pendjari Lion Conservation Unit, Benin / Burkina Faso / Niger
32 (23 - 63) in Kainji Lake National Park, Nigeria
2 in Yankari Game Reserve, Nigeria

Henschel P, Coad L, Burton C, Chataigner B, Dunn A, et al. (2014) The Lion in West Africa Is Critically Endangered. PLoS ONE 9(1): e83500. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0083500

October 2013: King of Beasts Losing Ground in Uganda's Paradise (read online article here)

"According to the results of a recent survey, African lions in Uganda have decreased by more than 30 percent over the past 10 years in some areas of the country, mostly the result of poisoning by local cattle herders, retaliations for livestock predation, and other human-related conflicts. The downward trend in lion numbers has conservationists concerned about the species' long-term chances in the country, often described as the "Pearl of Africa" for its natural wonders."

Estimates for five areas containing lions in Uganda given as:

144 +/-22 in Queen Elizabeth Protected Area
132 +/-24 in Murchison Falls Conservation Area
132 +/-77 in Kidepo Valley National Park
2-8 lions in Toro-Semliki Wildlife Reserve
up to 5 lions in Lake Mburo National Park

Edward Okot Omoya, Tutilo Mudumba, Stephen T. Buckland, Paul Mulondo, Andrew J. Plumptre. Estimating population sizes of lions Panthera leo and spotted hyaenas Crocuta crocuta in Uganda's savannah parks, using lure count methods. Oryx, 2013; : 1 DOI: 10.1017/S0030605313000112 (pdf)

For more on lions in Uganda click here.

March 2013: A study of lions in northwest Tete Province of Mozambique suggests 185 lions (range 136 - 227) exist in the region, down from a previous estimate of 295 lions made in 2009.

"In the west, lion range is continuous with Zambia along much of the Luangwa River. Range extends along most of Lake Cahora Bassa and expands northwards into pockets of Marávia and Chifunde districts. We suspect the lion range extends eastward into the neighboring Macanga and Chiuta districts as it is contiguous with habitat in Chifunde. Distribution should be viewed with caution, as presence was not confirmed in all locations. Interviews, particularly in northern Zumbo, northeast and southeast Chifunde, and northern Marávia, would increase confidence of the lion distribution in these areas. It is possible that lion range in these areas is overpredicted and the true amount of habitat is smaller.

Lion populations in Tete Province are likely isolated except in the west where they connect with lions in Zambia. Several villages on the western border with Zambia noted weekly lion presence, suggesting that a transfrontier lion population may exist. Lions may also disperse from our study area to/from Zimbabwe when they cross the Zambezi River (Gianetta Purchase 2011, pers. comm., Nov 22). However, it is unlikely that lion range connects to the rest of Mozambique (e.g., to Gorongosa National Park) because of extensive human populations and disturbance to the southeast of the study area.

Lions in Tete Province are likely remnants of a low-density population once continuous with and ecologically part of neighboring protected areas. Although it is possible that the population is composed entirely of nomads, or dispersers, from abutting protected areas (e.g., Lower Zambezi and Luangwa Valley National Parks) or the Zambezi valley floodplains, interviewees from two separate villages indicated seeing more than one lion and cubs. This suggests that the area has a resident lion population.

We estimate 185 lions in the study area with a range from 136 – 227. Our estimate of 185 lions is greater than previous estimates from more geographically comprehensive reports. However, it is less than the most recent estimate by Chardonnet et al., which suggested 507 lions for all of Tete Province with the majority, 295, concentrated in the study area. Any estimate of lion numbers relying on density extrapolations to suspected habitat must be viewed with an appropriate amount of caution. While we feel this number is the best estimate possible given the available data, we also recognize that our results may overestimate lion range, and in turn population size"

Jacobson AP, Cattau ME, Riggio JS, Petracca LS, Fedak DA (2013) Distribution and abundance of lions in northwest Tete Province, Mozambique. Tropical Conservation Science Vol. 6(1):87-107. To read the full report click here.

For more on lions in Mozambique click here.

--------------------

Story
.333 member

Reged: 15/10/08
Loc: SE PA, USA
      #278394 - 24/02/16 02:36 PM

BUBYE VALLEY CONSERVANCY, Zimbabwe — It is the country where Cecil the lion was killed, sparking international anger against the American dentist who shot him.

The outcry over Walter Palmer’s killing of Cecil drove other big-game hunters away from Zimbabwe, fearful they too would attract the ire of the public.

But in what is being described as a side effect of the affair, Zimbabwe’s largest wildlife area says it now finds itself suffering from an overpopulation of lions.

Bubye Valley Conservancy has more than 500 lions, the largest number in Zimbabwe’s diminishing wildlife areas.

It has warned that its lion population has become unsustainable and that it may even have to cull around 200 as a result of what is being called “the Cecil effect.”

Now Bubye is appealing for other institutions or wildlife sanctuaries to take some of its lions.

http://news.nationalpost.com/news/world/...re-staying-home

lancaster
.470 member

Reged: 06/05/08
Loc: There's a lighthouse in the mi...
Re: No lions for US [Re: Story]
      #278403 - 24/02/16 08:24 PM

who had expected something like this

--------------------
Norwegian hunter misses moose, shoots man on toilet
bringing civilisation to the barbarians

lancaster
.470 member

Reged: 06/05/08
Loc: There's a lighthouse in the mi...
Re: No lions for US [Re: lancaster]
      #278653 - 29/02/16 09:48 PM

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnew...sk-of-cull.html

"
'Cecil effect’ leaves park’s lion at risk of cull
Bubye Valley Conservancy says it may have to cull 200 lions due to overpopulation and "the Cecil effect"

By Peta Thornycroft in Bubye Valley Conservancy, Zimbabwe

7:15PM GMT 20 Feb 2016

It is the country where Cecil the lion was killed, sparking international anger against the American dentist who shot him.

The outcry over Walter Palmer’s killing of Cecil drove other big-game hunters away from Zimbabwe, fearful they too would attract the opprobrium of the public. But in what is being described as a side-effect of the affair, Zimbabwe’s largest wildlife area says it now finds itself suffering from an overpopulation of lions.

Bubye Valley Conservancy has more than 500 lions, the largest number in Zimbabwe’s diminishing wildlife areas.

It has warned that its lion population has become unsustainable and that it may even have to cull around 200 as a result of what is being called “the Cecil effect”.

Now Bubye is appealing for other institutions or wildlife sanctuaries to take some of its lions.

Conservationists estimate about half of Zimbabwe’s wildlife has disappeared since Robert Mugabe’s seizure of white-owned land began in 2000, but Bubye has held on by attracting wealthy hunters whose fees support its wildlife work.

But last year’s shooting of Cecil, in a conservancy bordering Hwange National Park, sparked a huge backlash against big-game hunting.

Plummeting oil prices have further led to a drop in the number of visitors from US states such as Texas, from where traditionally large numbers of hunters go to Zimbabwe.

Bubye’s lions are decimating populations of antelope, along with other animals such as giraffe, cheetah, leopards and wild dogs, after the driest summer on record kept grasses low and made the small game easy targets.

Blondie Leathem, general manager of Bubye Valley Conservancy, said: “I wish we could give about 200 of our lions away to ease the overpopulation. If anyone knows of a suitable habitat for them where they will not land up in human conflict, or in wildlife areas where they will not be beaten up because of existing prides, please let us know and help us raise the money to move them.”

In the Forties, there were thought to be as many as 450,000 lions on Earth, but today they are classed as “vulnerable”, with numbers feared as low as 20,000.

Conservationists fear that without a concerted push, particularly in high-risk areas of central and west Africa, their numbers could halve again in the next two decades because of human-animal conflict and reduced habit and food supplies.

Bubye, along with some game parks in neighbouring countries, has been bucking the trend, according to a recent study, with healthy lion populations in “small, fenced, intensively managed, funded reserves”. The conservation area was founded 22 years ago by Charles Davy, the rancher father of Chelsy Davy, Prince Harry’s former girlfriend. It is now majority-owned by Dubai World, the investment fund of the wealthy emirate’s government.

Millions of pounds were spent fencing 2,000 square miles of land previously cleared of wildlife by decades of cattle farming. The fence was then electrified and hundreds of people were hired to protect wildlife imported to the park.

Bubye also supports schools and clinics in several districts and provides meat every month for people nearby.

As well as its lion population, Bubye also has the third-largest community of black rhinos in Africa.

When the Telegraph visited Bubye in early February a matriarch lioness called Matilda, her sisters and her latest litter of cubs were lazing in the shade under mopane trees.

Matilda – which was fitted with a radio collar by the Oxford University researchers that also collared Cecil – eats at least 10lb of meat every day.

Pieter Kat, director of Lion Aid, a UK-based charity, said contraception should have been introduced at the conservancy years ago. “It’s too late now,” he said. “There is nowhere in Africa which could take so many lions.”

Paul Bartels, a wildlife scientist from South Africa’s Tshwane University of Technology, said female contraceptive implants used in smaller reserves would be impractical for Matilda’s clan.

“There are a lot of lions on that [Bubye] conservancy. It would cost hundreds of thousands of dollars for contraception to make any real difference,” he said.

Oxford’s lion research project in Zimbabwe, which monitored Cecil, said that the Bubye conservancy was “a huge success story” in a region blighted by a lack of governmental help for its struggling wildlife sector.

Mr Leathem insisted he was not a hunter but a conservationist, and had no option but to maintain “sustainable” hunting to safeguard Bubye’s future."

--------------------
Norwegian hunter misses moose, shoots man on toilet
bringing civilisation to the barbarians

Pages: 1

Extra information
4 registered and 78 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 4083

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com