Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Extreme hunter blames Ricky Gervais for death threats

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Africa & hunting dangerous game

Pages: 1
NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Extreme hunter blames Ricky Gervais for death threats
      #263768 - 18/04/15 06:28 PM

Note the title is from the article and I do not agree with its sensationalism at all.

Extreme hunter blames Ricky Gervais for death threats

Rebecca poses with a dead lion
Extreme hunter Rebecca Francis says she blames Ricky Gervais for thousands of death threats she's received.
The comedian's been attacking the trophy hunter on social media all week - with many of his posts being shared thousands of times.

"Ricky Gervais has used his power and influence to specifically target women in the hunting industry and has sparked thousands of people to call for my death, the death of my family and many other women who hunt", Rebecca told Newsbeat.

"This has evolved into an issue about the morality of threatening human lives over disagreeing with someone else's beliefs.

"It shocks me that people who claim to be so loving and caring for animals can turn around and threaten to murder and rape my children. "

Quote:

Ricky Gervais ✔ @rickygervais
Follow
After killing that giraffe out of the kindness of her heart and feeding the poor locals she had these for pudding.
6:32 AM - 17 Apr 2015

The first picture Ricky Gervais tweeted was of Rebecca smiling alongside a dead giraffe she killed in 2010.

Quote:

Follow
What must've happened to you in your life to make you want to kill a beautiful animal & then lie next to it smiling?

In a statement to Hunting Life magazine earlier this week, Rebecca said she killed the giraffe because of "he was past his breeding years and very close to death".

Ricky's continued to vent his anger at not only Rebecca but at other so-called trophy hunters too.

Quote:

Follow
I know we are all different & I don't expect Trophy Hunters to change their ways, but I will always speak up for animals because I can

Trophy hunting is a popular 'sport' and tourists pay thousands of pounds to kill animals like lions, bears, zebra and elephants.

On her blog Rebecca speaks of her desire to hunt Africa's 'Big Five' - lion, leopard, rhino, elephant and buffalo.
In South Africa trophy hunting is legal and animals are bred for tourists to kill them in special parks. The animals are often hand-reared and bottle fed, so don't fear people. It means when they approach people expecting to get fed, they receive a bullet instead.

Last year, 5,000 lions were bred for this purpose.

It brings in big money to the economy, as tourists from the US, China and the UK pay huge amounts of money to shoot them. At the moment there are no laws banning these 'trophies' returned into the European Union.

Rebecca, who won the reality TV show Extreme Huntress in 2010, told Newsbeat, "There is no question that hunters contribute the most to the welfare of wildlife.

"I believe in the right to hunt. I believe that hunters promote wildlife more than any other source."

But animal rights charities disagree. Dominic Dyer from Born Free told Newsbeat "The conservation case for trophy hunting does not stand up to scrutiny.

"Studies have shown that trophy hunting can often hurt the overall population of a species, the money generated does not help local communities or conservation efforts and it can also lead to an increase in illegal wildlife poaching.
"The wild lion population in Africa has fallen from around 80,000 in 1980 to less than 25,000 today as a direct result of hunting, habitat loss and conflict with humans."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/article/32349098/extreme-hunter-blames-ricky-gervais-for-death-threats

Edited by NitroX (18/04/15 06:46 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: Extreme hunter blames Ricky Gervais for death threats [Re: NitroX]
      #263770 - 18/04/15 06:49 PM

The misogynist un-funny man on facebook - Gervais.

https://www.facebook.com/rickygervais/ph...7380637/?type=1

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#263771 - 18/04/15 06:59 PM

More idiocy ...

https://www.change.org/p/facebook-no-lon...ed-via-facebook

Petitioning Facebook
No longer allow photographs of Animals hunted for Trophies to be shared via the global social media, Facebook

Ollie Raison London, United Kingdom

A quick message to hunters. PLEASE READ.
This is not an anti hunting petition. You have a legal right to hunt. What this petition is trying to achieve, is to have facebook acknowledge that certain images are not suitable for social media. This includes glorifying hunting by posing for smiling photos with 'trophies'.

Facebook is a wonderful tool that lets us connect with friends and family by allowing us to share our photos and lives online. However, it is a global network, and quite often, a post liked or shared by a friend will find its way onto your timeline without you having a say whether it should be there.
Based upon this, facebook is rather good at censoring certain images, deleting hate speech and ensuring that what is shared by people will not cause offense to viewers, both willing and unwilling.
However, there is no current removal of photos that have been posted by people that show animals which have been hunted and shot, often just to provide a trophy for the hunter. To scroll through your facebook timeline and be confronted by photos of people smiling whilst holding an animal they have just killed, does not show any respect for the vast amount of people online who do not want to see such images. Often these photos will cause offence and yet messaging the poster or reporting the photo to facebook does nothing to remove the offending image. Without wanting to bring specific individuals into question, there are certain hunting 'celebrities', who will often post images of endangered animals they have shot, or else amazing animals that they have travelled to another country to hunt, purely for the trophy aspect. It is these images we would request that facebook cracked down upon. The trophy hunting of animals for photographic gain.
It should be pointed out, this is not an anti hunting petition. It was not set up by a vegan or vegetarian. It was set up by someone who would like hunters to acknowledge that not everyone finds the pictures they have put up of hunted animals acceptable. Hunting for food is a long standing tradition and this is not a call to stop it.
And as it currently stands, although Facebook allows users to report certain photos, there is currently nothing to allow facebook users to report these particular images, which are incredibly offensive to an awfully large amount of people.
And now we call upon facebook to acknowledge that these images cause great offence and respectfully request that animals hunted for trophies, their images can no longer be loaded onto facebook, unless the privacy settings are very strict.
People should be able to look through their timelines without being confronted by someone smiling whilst they hold up the animal they have hunted.

LETTER TO
Facebook
No longer allow photographs of Animals hunted for Trophies to be uploaded or shared via facebook.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#263773 - 18/04/15 07:18 PM

BTW Rebcca, an online 'friend' of mine shows far more "balls" than Glenn McGrath.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/article/32319210/extreme-hunter-has-no-regrets-after-killing-a-giraffe

Extreme hunter has 'no regrets' after killing a giraffe

A picture of extreme hunter Rebecca Francis smiling as she lay next to a dead giraffe has been shared thousands of times after Ricky Gervais tweeted it.

Quote:

Follow
What must've happened to you in your life to make you want to kill a beautiful animal & then lie next to it smiling?

The comedian tweeted: "What must've happened to you in your life to make you want to kill a beautiful animal & then lie next to it smiling?"

Rebecca, who won the reality TV show Extreme Huntress in 2010, has now hit back, saying she has no regrets about killing the giraffe.

The trophy hunter has told Newsbeat that since the tweet she has received "hundreds of thousands of death threats" against her and her family.

Rebecca explained her reasons for killing the animal to Hunting Life magazine.

"When I was in Africa five years ago I was of the mindset that I would never shoot a giraffe.

"I was approached toward the end of my hunt with a unique circumstance. They showed me this beautiful old bull giraffe that was wandering all alone.

"He had been kicked out of the herd by a younger and stronger bull. He was past his breeding years and very close to death.

"They asked me if I would preserve this giraffe by providing all the locals with food and other means of survival.

"He was inevitably going to die soon and he could either be wasted or utilized by the local people.

"I chose to honour his life by providing others with his uses and I do not regret it for one second.

"Once he was down there were people waiting to take his meat. They also took his tail to make jewellery, his bones to make other things, and did not waste a single part of him.

"I am grateful to be a part of something so good."
Gervais is a big supporter of animals rights issues and often tweets messages to his followers.

In a tweet on Wednesday he said: "Don't be surprised when people don't care about a cause as much as you do. Don't be deterred either."

Rebecca is a "trophy hunter" and says her aim is to hunt and collect the 'Big Five' - lion, leopard, buffalo, elephant and rhino.

On her blog, she writes: "The thought of taking the African big five has always been on my mind, but only as a 'something I would love to do' thought."

On its Facebook page, Hunting Life magazine posted: "To a hunter every animal they take cleanly and ethically is a trophy and a memory that will last forever."

In South Africa, some tour companies offer hunting safaris, selling them as a sport.

Tourists can pay up to £10,000 to kill a crocodile, giraffe or buffalo.

While this is done for 'fun', animal rights groups strongly oppose it.

Trophy hunting isn't the only threat to the big five because poaching is big business too. A single rhino horn can fetch more than £200,000.

In 2013, 1,000 rhinos were killed in South Africa alone, according to Vetpaw.

Last year, 36,000 elephants died, around one every 15 minutes.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

BWK375
.224 member

Reged: 13/07/14
Loc: U.S.A.
      #263784 - 18/04/15 08:56 PM

Who the hell is Ricky Gervais? I never heard of her.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#263785 - 18/04/15 08:57 PM

Forumites might be interested in the comments on the NE facebook page. Actually have a good discussion going on there ...

The opening comment:
"Extreme hunter" is a term by tabloid press to try to sensationalise stories with little value. And trivialise the person. To make small minded people take note. Perhaps extreme sustainable conservationalist would be a better title.

Again an attack by a misogynist against a female.
Gervais claims he stands up for animals, yet can he show a single dollar he has contributed to true conservation? Pathetic man.

The replies so far:

Stu Cooper I don't want her to die, I just want her to stop being so smug and happy about killing and fucking stop. 100% support gervais. If you're smiling laying next to a dead giraffe, you have mental problems. A guy named Norman Bates is a real big fan of shit like that. I'm sure there are a bunch of rednecks that will get boners looking at that kind of stuff, but that doesn't make it normal or ok. Darwinism seemed to do the job just fine before mega rich egomaniacs entered the "game". This woman helps the environment about as much as Zimmermann helped the neighborhood watch.
Like · Reply · 10 hrs · Edited
Hide 12 Replies

Roy Langley You really have no clue about wildlife conservation in Africa, Stu Cooper and Darwinism hasn't a snowballs hope in hell of contributing to the conservation of wildlife on the planet.
Like · 10 hrs

Stu Cooper But killing a giraffe does? Gimme a fuckin break. Go chase an elephant or something.
Like · 10 hrs · Edited

Stu Cooper Also in the posted article they even state how what she is doing is not helping. Try to make yourself out to be a hero all you want, you're still a sociopath if you enjoy this.
Like · 9 hrs · Edited

Roy Langley Its OK to kill an elephant but not a giraffe. Why would that be? I have not seen a shortage of old bull giraffes in Southern Africa, which is mostly what the trophy hunters shoot. In fact, the numbers of giraffes have increased quite substantially sin...See More
Like · 9 hrs

Stu Cooper It's not ok to kill an elephant, or a giraffe. Especially if you act like this woman. You people act so proud, i'd like to see you step into a cage and fight someone who can fight back, then see how tough and heroic you feel. Real easy to feel like a tough guy looking through a scope at something grazing.
Like · 9 hrs · Edited

NitroExpress.com Mr Cooper, the vast majority of the people/Hunters I know like the adventure of going to an exotic location and experiencing the excitement of the a fair chase hunt! If you knew anything about what you were talking about, you would might understand why we legally do this! In my experience, many of these negative replies have more to do with Hunters being able to do this and the haters not being able to afford similar travel, adventure, excitement etc! JB
Like · 1 · Commented on by John Bladen · 8 hrs

Stu Cooper lmao so i'm jealous? you might be even more delusional than I thought. I make plenty of money and I wouldn't spend it killing animals, that's for sure. Did you even read the article you posted? At the bottom they challenge the validity of the crap you're spewing.
Like · 7 hrs · Edited

Ian Hinksmon I agree with a tiny bit with stu but mostly with Roy Langley I lived near Ermelo south Africa and I saw elephants about as often there as I do now in Georgia but when I do kill an animal I do it only for the meat I don't even take a photo of it so I don't really like it when people show off their trophy photos on the internet but if I see a nice trophy like this one I will say that it was a good shot.
Like · 1 · 7 hrs

John Hahn Stu Cooper, most people that educate themselves on the subject fully understand that in a place such as Africa, a place often of extreme poverty that wildlife has no value without value. Land is valuable and can be used for subsistence crops. For cutti...See More
Like · 1 · 4 hrs

John Hahn Stu Cooper, a question for you. If you support Gervais 100%. Why does the likes of him concentrate on and only attack usually pretty young female hunters?

Lots of us old fat male hunters do the same and post even more photos online, yet not a word?

Perhaps he is a misogynist as I suggest.

Or perhaps it is because he is a tired old comedian (really his humour has always been 'nasty' humour and not that funny IMO) who is looking for some sort of fame or resurgence of his "career".

Tabloids know pretty young girls sell copy so also feature them for just that purpose.

I think the followers of Gervais are being sucked in blindly by the same tactics.
Like · 1 · 4 hrs

Matthew Morgan Well written.i totally agree . Unfortunately I think it's beyond the haters intellect to grasp this.
Like · 1 · 4 hrs

NitroExpress.com Well put JH! JB
Like · 1 · Commented on by John Bladen · 2 hrs
John Hahn
Write a reply...

Doug Fielder Irony can be pretty ironic sometimes...
These people that are against hunting are threatening to kill someone? Those are terroristic threats everywhere I've ever lived, as well as cyber bullying and the funniest is that they are threatening someone who knows how to use a firearm... Most likely they know how to defend themselves too.
Unlike · Reply · 4 · 12 hrs

NitroExpress.com Unfortunately Doug, many of these urbanised people these days, put the value of an Animals life above that of a Humans! That is, until they feel hungry, then they forget about all that and eat till there full again! Hypocrisy and Bigotry are just two, of the many poor human traits!!! FYI, the Hunters and other people that I enjoy the company of, put the value of both an Animal and Human's life, on the same or similar level! The reason we still have our Firearms License is, we have NEVER THREATENED TO KILL another Human Being, which as we can see here, is more than some people can say!!! JB
Unlike · 5 · Commented on by John Bladen · 11 hrs

Doug Fielder Agreed 100%, I was just highlighting the irony.
Like · 1 · 8 hrs

John Hahn Animal liberation has a lot to do with mental illness and depression. Self hatred leads to hatred of mankind in general. It is less to do with the elevation of animals and more to do with the devaluation of human kind.
Like · 1 · 4 hrs

NitroExpress.com JH, thank you for clearing that up for me! JB
Unlike · 1 · Commented on by John Bladen · 2 hrs
John Hahn
Write a reply...

David Dobson Anyone that lives or works in the country should know the need for conservation and the control of foxes, deer population ect. but paying large sums of money to kill big game even if there are instances where it needs to be controlled is not something that any hunter should be so proud of that they feel the need to have pictures taken with them smiling and laughing. It is NOT an achievement worth a memory! and anyone that feels it is must be dead inside!
Like · Reply · 4 · 18 hrs

Roy Langley Let me put something into perspective for you David Dobson. South Africa is the size of the Province of British Columbia in Canada, yet there are almost more game animals in South Africa than there are White Tail deer in the whole of North America (including Canada). That, is as a result of people hunting big game animals in South Africa and contributing the funds necessary to grow the game population from 500,000 head to over 20 million head in 40 years (that figure excludes game in National & Provincial Parks). So, don't come with your holier than thou attitude that it is OK for you to hunt certain species of animal because they may be termed pests, but not OK for people to hunt other species of animal. A dead animal is a dead animal, irrespective of what type of animal it is.
Like · 18 hrs

David Dobson Roy I did not say that controlling animal populations or hunting was wrong now did I, read what I said before going off on one!. You don't see pictures of a guy who works in an abattoir taking a picture every time he slaughters a cow or sheep do you!
Like · 1 · 18 hrs

Cris Hill Well spoken David Dobson im proud of you
Like · 18 hrs

Lorraine Lawrence David, you miss the point. The animals are not just shot on sight. The ones that are culled are carefully selected. It is difficult, it is expensive. It is a challenge not everyone is up to. It is an accomplishment to be proud of. You are going to begrudge someone a photo and a smile? If simply reducing numbers where what was needed then mowing them down with machine guns or using snares like poachers would be acceptable. It isn't. You are trying to have cake and eat it too. Or in this case meat. I've seen plenty of photos of folks with a fox or coyote. I don't begrudge them that. Would you rather the poisoning of waterholes that goes on? The people against hunting do not distinguish between what you are doing and what another hunter does. If you don't see this, well maybe you should give up hunting.
Unlike · 3 · 12 hrs · Edited

David Dobson It is not me who is missing the point and like I said I am not against hunting. If an animal has to be culled for what ever the reason then that's fair enough but for example, lying down next to the giraffe you have just shot grinning like a Cheshire cat is not necessary and in my opinion shows not respect for the animal at all.
Like · 2 · 14 hrs

Roy Langley David Dobson, we have reached the point in hunting where it is now like politics and religion, it is something best not debated because someone's sensitivities, rights, feather, etc are going to be ruffled. Not everyone views things the same, and that is because we all have different life experiences which influence the way we think and act. One of the biggest mistakes people make is using, for example, the American or English hunting culture to measure the hunting culture in Africa, or Asia or some other country by. It does not work because the history etc of each is vastly different and the social and economic set up in each country is vastly different. Laws pertaining to hunting have also developed differently in each country and those laws govern how hunters think and behave. No one countries is right or wrong, they have to be viewed in the context of each individual countries history and development. Game conservation in some countries is dependent on trophy hunting, be it the Big 5 or the Tiny 10, all one and the same thing. There is no difference between trophy hunting for Suni or trophy hunting for Elephant (besides the fact that one will feed more people than the other one will). Whether people want to sit in a photo along with their trophy, or take the photo with just the animal in it, or not take a photo at all is each persons inalienable right. If one person wants to smile in the photo and another wants to sit with hat off and head bowed, that is their choice and their right. Just don't judge others based on what you think is politically, or cultural, or socially correct.
Unlike · 4 · 14 hrs

Lorraine Lawrence So your objection is indeed to the woman herself then, if I understand you? You interpret her smile as being a bit too large? Too toothy? She didn't prop the animal up? But chose to lay beside it rather than astride it or standing over it? In short you would like to be a photo or beauty expert or critic? That is what it sounds like. Half a moment while I look at your photos... Or should we just post them elsewhere without your permission like that idiot comedian and invite public comments?
Unlike · 2 · 12 hrs

David Dobson Lorraine I'm afraid we will have to agree to disagree on this, as for your comment on posting photos it was this page that i saw them on!, oh and believe me I am no fan of Ricky Gervais. Roy is right in saying that not everyone views things in the same light, what I have said is my opinion and I hope you agree that everyone has that right.
Like · 1 · 12 hrs

NitroExpress.com Ancient man painted pictures of his kills and hunted wildlife on his cave walls tens of thousands of years ago so I guess it is 100% natural for modern man to do the same with film and photos.
Like · Commented on by John Hahn · 18 mins

NitroExpress.com As for "paying large sums of money to kill big game" firstly I think this is a "class warfare" comment. But I would happily hunt big game for free and not have to pay to do it. However I also recognise the fees often go to supporting wildlife and poor local communities. Whining about the evils of hunting on facebook does NOTHING for wildlife nor poor comunities.
Like · Commented on by John Hahn · 16 mins
John Hahn

Write a reply...

Terry Maw So.... you really think this is acceptable? I'm a shooter, I keep the pigeons down, I help reduce the rabbit population and when required will cull fox and dear......but come on, get a grip, you really want to be a human being that believes killing a big old lion or a rhino or a feckin elephant is a good thing.........really?........
Like · Reply · 5 · 19 hrs
Hide 11 Replies

Victor Arancibia An old lion can be a lot of money for the tribes that live there. They received the benefits of hunting
Unlike · 1 · 18 hrs

Roy Langley Terry Maw, what is the difference between someone culling lion, elephant etc and paying big money to do it in a sustained ecologically viable manner, and you culling fox and deer.
Unlike · 3 · 18 hrs

Kyle Wattis One place I didn't think hunting needed to be explained was Nitro Express. Yes there are many instances where killing a rhino, lion, or elephant is a good thing. Elephant are one of the most destructive animals on the planet, without some kind of population control they destroy the habitat for themselves and other species.
Unlike · 4 · 18 hrs

Matti Colledge There is no instance where hunting a Rhino is a good thing you fucking idiot. They're next to extinction.
Like · 3 · 13 hrs

NitroExpress.com Matti, if it wasn't for Hunters and their money, some species of Rhino may already be extinct! JB
Unlike · 4 · Commented on by John Bladen · 11 hrs

Randy J. Arnson You Matti are an ignorant fool when it comes to the subject! Take for instance the recent rhino permit auctioned by the DSC in 2014. Namibia I believe had an old rhino bull past its breeding age but was still a dangerous threat to the younger breeding bulls. They have been known to severely harm or even kill them. So with this bull having basically lived it's full life would you rather it died an extremely painful death of say starvation or most likely being eaten alive by a pride of lions for no money raised. Or sell a rare tag that brought in a ton of much needed money to help with habitat improvement for the other younger rhinos & to help fight the illegal poaching of the animals. Which one?

Death can be a hard subject but in this situation the clear & reasonable choice is the latter!
Like · 2 · 10 hrs

Jeff Knight Christ, the enemy within is alive and well I see. Please, do some research so as a shooter you understand how controlled hunting/culling HELPS conservation (Regardless of the prey or country), and then think before criticising one type of hunter or shooter over another! To disagree is fine, but if they stop big game hunting, don't for a minute think they will be happy and stop there. Pretty soon, rabbits, pigeon and everything you shoot will be on this list too.
Unlike · 3 · 6 hrs · Edited

Ian Hinksmon yeah im mainly against poach rhinos for their horns and that's why they are going extinct hell ive seen more rhinos here in America than I did when I lived in Africa I was there for about 6 and a half years and I can count the amount of times I saw a rhino on one hand. about 5 breeding female rhinos in a year can replace the amount of rhinos that were killed sustainably by hunters in about 2 years the regulations are so tight because of poachers they are the real problem.
Unlike · 1 · 7 hrs

John Hahn Terry Maw, I will repeat what I wrote above ...

most people that educate themselves on the subject fully understand that in a place such as Africa, a place often of extreme poverty that wildlife has no value without value. Land is valuable and can be used for subsistence crops. For cutting down of all forests for firewood. For the poaching of wildlife for game meat. For the poaching of ivory and horn for illegal sale. For the cutting of cane and grass for thatch and hundreds of other uses.

How can wildlife survive in a ever increasing local population without value?

How can value be created?

It can be created by tourism. Photo tourism is one way. Photo tourism however is often insufficient in supply and also in value. And also does not manage the wildlife population. Elephants in particular will increase in number and expand to raid local shambas (farms) destroying the food crops and killing people. And if mankind can farm say cattle for meat, isn't it better to farm wilidlife for meat instead. Thereby ensuring its survival and longevity.

So we turn to sustainable managed conservation through controlled hunting. Foreign tourists who pay quite large amounts to enjoy a natural activity of mankind practised by mankind for thousands of years, hunting. The competitive pursuit of pitting ones wits and skills against animals in a sporting manner.

Nothing in Africa is wasted. The meat is all consumed, if not by the hunting camp, by the PHs and clients, then by the staff, if not by them it is either sold, or most likely given to protein starved local communities. An elephant kill is a great example of the joy the local communities experience when an elephant is killed and the meat shared. It is like a festival.

How do the local communities benefit?
By being given meat. By gaining employment as trackers, cooks, cleaners, drivers, camp guards, game and anti poaching guards, by the community often receiving part of the fees the outfitter pays to hunt a concession. Many outfitters also have programmes to assist the local community, health and education. Many clients also like to assist.

When the game gains a value, and the local communities see a return from wildlife, they are less likely to poach or as much. More likely to help protect wildlife. If a kudu earns them $100 in fees the village is less likely to allow Mr Mpofu the poacher free access to his poaching activities. Plus the presence of anti poaching patrols paid for by the outfitter.

From sustainable managed hunting, mankind benefits, wildlife benefits.

I hope you take the time to read this.
Like · 2 · 4 hrs

Terry Maw John Hahn I have taken the time to read this and whilst it all sounds very idealistic, practical and logical it is actually wrong on so many levels.
I do understand the theory of an animal gaining value and so becoming respected by the locals but try explaining that ethos to all the other valuable animals hunted nearly to extinction....the woman pictured with that lion is as debase as the poachers we see in the news in fact I consider her worse as she is quite clearly pleased with her actions and wishes others to see just how proud she is....this kind of image just gives credence to hunting endangered animals.
Like · 2 hrs

John Hahn I would be pleased as well if I was her. Why shouldn't she smile. She has done nothing nothing nor illegal. She has not contributed to the destruction of endangered species, she has contributed to their conservation. Rhinos are a good example and the white rhino was brought back from near extinction by the efforts of hunting game ranches in South Africa. Lion habitat in the wild is also maintained by sustainable conservation. I agree Rebecca is a great example and PR for sustainable conservation through legal hunting.
Like · 6 mins
John Hahn

Write a reply...

Declan Mouland I bet Mr Gervais buys and eats non-free range chicken meat and eggs though...but I suppose to him thats fine . Its also fine for him to eat cereals, most crops of which are shot over for its protection.
Yet shooting a wild free animal that has led a good life is wrong..Hypocrite springs to mind.
Like · Reply · 5 · 19 hrs

NitroExpress.com Well said Declan! But don't forget Lamb! You know that fluffy little white animal, I bet Mr Gervais has eaten a few in his days! Yes, Hypocrisy and Bigotry, are not good human traits!!! JB
Unlike · 2 · Commented on by John Bladen · 11 hrs

Jeff Knight Like most of these non-vegan antis, they seem fine with eating meat as long as someone else has killed it for them and they don't have to think about it. Most people these days are so far removed from the reality of the food chain and ecosystem, I don't think the human race would survive if we were suddely forced back to primitive living via a natural or man made disaster.
Unlike · 1 · 9 hrs

NitroExpress.com Jeff, I think a better way to put it is; These people are happy to Pay another Person, to do their Dirty Work for them! That way, these Hypocrites and Bigots, in their eye's anyway, have No Blood On Their Hands! WRONG!!! As for Vegetarians and Vegans, they don't get off the hook that easily either. These types have never thought about how our Farmers keep all those native and introduced animals off the crops soon to become their food! I can assure you they don't stay up all night shooing them away with a silk cloth tied to the end of a stick! JB
Unlike · 2 · Commented on by John Bladen · 8 hrs
John Hahn
Write a reply...

Mike Moody
Mike Moody's photo.
Unlike · Reply · 12 · 19 hrs

NitroExpress.com Sums them up perfectly Mike! JB
Like · 1 · Commented on by John Bladen · 12 hrs

Mátyás Marics Great old lion ! Congrats , beautiful Diana !
Unlike · Reply · 7 · 19 hrs

Eric Jarvis Coe One hell of a hunt wish I could of been there!
Like · Reply · 1 · 6 hrs

Ian Hinksmon I never when on a big game hunt before even when I was living in Africa I shot a few antelope but that's it so could someone save me the internet search and just comment on if im in the right ball park. from what ive heard going hunting for any of the big 5 will cost a person about 50k us dollars right? an most of that money goes to the conservation of those animals and please feel free to tell me if im wrong on the price
Unlike · Reply · 1 · 7 hrs

John Hahn Ian Hinksmon, well I can't afford a lion hunt! It is expensive and yes in many places some of the fees go to the local community. They also gain employment and actual cash incomes from the work. Game meat as well is often given to locals. Fees also go to the governments, which helps pay for parks and other important initiatives. These are often poor countries and the hard currency is very important. $50,000 in total daily fees and trophy fees would be a minimum in a wilderness concession hunt.
Like · 1 · 4 hrs
John Hahn
Write a reply...

Jesse Kaufman I love a woman who likes to hunt! My wife is a great hunter and shooter and we teach are two daughters to do the same.
Unlike · Reply · 3 · 13 hrs

Eric Jarvis Coe One hell of a hunt wish I could of been there!
Unlike · Reply · 1 · 5 hrs

Alex Hope Diana Well done!!! U did kill a lion yes but you are more importantly insuring the survival of many species including the lion, by the funds you paid to hunt this big old champ. It is a FACT that because of hunting you and i and the rest of us ethical hunters, PHYSICALLY DO MORE TO CONSERVE ANY ANIMAL!!! Hiphip horay
Unlike · Reply · 2 · 13 hrs

Kris Mancini Death threats mostly idle talk from computer bullies I had a person say that to me for a photo and I told them to inbox me a secure address to send a round trip ticket to come and do what he said he was going to do you know the sound of crickets that was his response I messaged him that comment first before I put it out on FB here threaten me I'm really scared
Kris Mancini's photo.
Like · Reply · 3 · 15 hrs

Ian Hinksmon is it just me or does that lion look a little malnourished which would make it dangerous to local people and livestock so she did a public service by killing it and if is not malnourished than nice trophy
Like · Reply · 7 hrs

John Hahn Hi Ian Hinksmon, to me it looks like quite a healthy lion. But alpha lions when pushed out of the pride by a younger and stronger male will deteriorate quickly and usually die within a year or two.
Like · 4 hrs
John Hahn
Write a reply...

Duane Carney terry get a grip hunters r the only major source of revenue to keep several species from certain extinction
Unlike · Reply · 2 · 11 hrs

Paula Lloyd think this is disgusting my husband and i shoot but draw a line at this this is not sport
Like · Reply · 33 mins

John Hahn Paula Lloyd, that is your opinion but millions of people disagree with you, and so does mankind since prehistoric times. Only in the last few decades has some people become divorced from nature and think hunting is not a sport to be enjoyed.
Like · 14 mins
John Hahn

Write a reply...

Jeff Knight Gervais, like most of his narcissistic and egotistical ilk, is nothing more than a mouthpiece for ignorance. Isn't it strange how when they stop being funny (If they ever were) and lose the fame they crave, the likes of him and that muppet Carey jump on their soapbox about guns or hunting to try and make themselves relevent again...only to have thier career tank further when people see their "heros" for the ignorant bigots they really are.
Unlike · Reply · 1 · 6 hrs · Edited

Billijo M. Beck You know, Until he goes after his followers for sending death threats he's just as guilty.
He encourages those weak minded dolts. Death threats are not acceptable from EITHER side of this debate. When you encourage and allow your followers then your smeared as well.
Unlike · Reply · 6 · 18 hrs

Mark Hibble Was this a wild lion or a canned hunt
Like · Reply ·

--------------------
John aka NitroX

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#263790 - 18/04/15 10:17 PM

Please vote.

http://focusingonwildlife.com/news/poll-should-the-trophy-hunting-of-giraffes-be-banned/

POLL: Should the trophy hunting of giraffes be banned?

Tourist trophy hunters are paying thousands of pounds to go and shoot giraffes with high-powered guns and bows.

The gentle giants are loved around the world for their comical appearance and gentle nature. Just like character ‘Melman’ played by Friend’s-star David Schwimmer in Disney’s Madagascar, they are a hit with kids who love their long necks and eyelashes.

But shocking images show how scores of big-spending men and women – and even families – travel from across the globe,

Hunters pay up to a whopping £10,000 for the the chance to slay them – preferring bulls because they are the biggest.

Safari clubs and game reserves ask for a £1,500 trophy fee, and then add on rates for guides and trackers costing around £1,000 per day.

The hunts typically last three-to-five days and see tourists using .458 Winchester Magnum rifles to kill the animals.

With most hunters flying to Africa from their homes in Europe or America, the costs stretch into five figures.

The hunting continues even though numbers of the animals are plummeting.

But the world’s leading giraffe expert said populations in the countries where it is legal – South Africa, Namibia and Zimbabwe – can cope with the killings.

The latest statistic show the number of giraffes in the world have nearly halved since 1988 from over 140,000 to less than 80,000.

Dr. Julian Fennessy produced the report for the International Union for the Conservation of Nature (IUCN) Red List.

Another recent IUCN report suggests the giraffe may already need to be listed as a threatened species – because some populations are being decimated in places like West Africa and DR Congo.

They are already thought to be extinct in Angola, Mali and Nigeria.

Dr. Fennessy also founded Giraffe Conservation Foundation – the only dedicated giraffe conservation group in the world.

He said: ‘I’m not interested in hunting giraffe, but hunters obviously get a kick out of it like others enjoy a game of squash or cooking. It’s a complicated argument. There are lots of factors.

‘The loss of habitat and breaking up of populations by man-made constructions are the main factors threatening their numbers.

‘In the countries where you can hunt legally, the populations are increasing but across Africa the overall numbers are dropping alarmingly.

‘It shows that if properly managed with proper policy and controls, the hunting can be sustainable.’

In some African countries legal hunting can actually help local communities by bringing in money and making meat available to them.

‘Many hunting staff like guides, trackers and skinners who assist the tourists are paid in meat from the kills,’ added Dr. Fennessy.

‘If the tourist has paid the fee for the trophy, the carcass is theirs. Some just like to have photo taken next to the dead giraffe, but others pay taxidermists to mount the head a neck so they can take them home as a souvenir.

‘Or they might want to take the skin home.’

He added: ‘Some hunters come from Britain but the big majority are from North America, Germany, Russia and Scandinavia. ‘The worst part of trophy hunting is the fact that the hunters can miss their target and fail to kill the giraffe quickly.

‘If they don’t hit the right spot then it can lead to suffering for the animal. ‘They might have a ‘second gun’ in the party whose job it is to take the animal down quickly if the tourist misses.

‘But hunting guides need to assess the ability of the hunter and stop the hunt if they do not have the skills to do it humanely.’

Another factors decimating the giraffe population is poaching. ‘Poaching is illegal and is not licensed,’ said Dr. Fennessy.

‘They set wire snares at giraffe-height in the trees to snare their necks, or to trap their feet and kill them when they return. ‘It leads to huge suffering for the animals, sometimes for days.’

We invite you to vote FOR or AGAINST a ban on the trophy hunting of giraffes. Please vote and also leave your comments at the bottom of this page.

Should the trophy hunting of giraffes be banned?

Yes (91%, 5,051 Votes)
No (9%, 489 Votes)
Don't Know (0%, 7 Votes)
Total Voters: 5,547

As at the current time, my time.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

poprivit
.333 member

Reged: 09/04/07
Loc: Las Vegas, NV
      #263794 - 18/04/15 11:40 PM

Y'know, John, if Focusing on Wildlife got any of their figures right, I'd be highly surprised. Having done a giraffe hunt (and an elephant, 3 cape buffalos, etc.) I DO have a general idea as to what entails a hunt, and what kind of costs are involved.

Now, I have to tell you, I'm very, very rich …

Actually, I'm a writer, and can describe my income and profession as "professional starvation". I have to save for years to go to Africa.

Everything they wrote about is wrong. I can run numbers, but hell, they have their minds (small ones at that!) made up and won't change. Even if they came with me and saw where the meat, bones, and of course, money goes, they'd still dance their rant.

Oh well, at least I'm going back this May. I plan on spending my 70th birthday on Safari.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: Extreme hunter blames Ricky Gervais for death threats [Re: poprivit]
      #263799 - 19/04/15 02:00 AM

The English media always like to play up the DOLLARS and POUNDS and MONEY involved, because to a lot of poms who hate hunting it is a class warfare issue, hatred of the "Upper Class" and anyone "with money". The English media always makes a big thing of the costs and fees.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 39 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 4715

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com