Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Kudu bull wanted

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Africa & hunting dangerous game

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
gryphon
.450 member

Reged: 01/01/03
Loc: Sambar ground/Victoria/Austral...
Kudu bull wanted
      #225933 - 25/02/13 08:06 AM

A friend has the desire (and money) to take a Kudu bull for his wall. He has successfully hunted deer/pigs in Australia but really wants a Kudu. I mentioned that I knew of a place where the experts are (NE) and surely a few on here will come up with some suggestions of reputable outfits. Thanks.

--------------------
Get off the chair away from the desk and get out in the bush and enjoy life.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
tophet1
.400 member

Reged: 15/09/07
Loc: NSW, Australia
Re: Kudu bull wanted [Re: gryphon]
      #225938 - 25/02/13 10:32 AM

I can recommend my last operator Chris Troskie. Chris is absolutely rock solid reliable and honest to a fault. He is very organised and the food is great

He is 2.5 hours from Jo'Burg in Kudu habitat. If you want to 'walk it up' Chris will accomodate you. If you can't he will also happily drive you around.

Chris has access to 6,000 acres of unfenced country near his home.
There are some low fences but it is hilly, old cattle country now full of leopard and warthog. The country is so hilly and rocky that vehicle access is limited. I believe one average acre of bushveldt will 'carry' 2.1 Kudu but that will of course vary and I doubt it occurs on Chris's concession as there is some competition from cattle. There are free range Kudu around 50"+ but if he wants larger Kudu in South Africa he will have to know someone privately or pay per inch and the ethical aspects then decline at a geometric rate. This does not worry everyone.

Chris also has extremely good Bushbuck and Klippies as well.

Avoid the eastern Cape. Any decent size trophy Kudu are introduced genetics as the naturally occuring Eastern Cape Kudu is smaller.

Please remember I am now a sceptic of 'pay for hunting'.

For a first time trip, South Africa or Namibia are the better choices till you find your feet.

http://www.ct-safaris.com/

The country I'm talking about.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MwLIQPSctRg&list=UUUbv5HhzasB1q9VGM5-Jvfg&index=9

The best thing is to contact as many operators as possible. Some will be the standard 'I will be your friend for life' type of replys, others will be more formal. Out of it, will leap one that interests your friend.

Edit: Spelling

P.S. If your friend just wants inches, then Chris can accomodate him through the many put and take operations around him, but he will have to take some serious money with him.

Edited by tophet1 (25/02/13 10:51 AM)

gryphon
.450 member

Re: Kudu bull wanted [Re: tophet1]
      #225940 - 25/02/13 12:45 PM

Ah tophet1 thanks for that informative reply,I have cut and pasted the post of yours and onsent,he will undoubtedly look the site up as well. Thanks again.

--------------------

Cazadero
.375 member

Reged: 17/10/11
Loc: Texas
      #225941 - 25/02/13 02:20 PM

Your friend should of course know that his best option financially is probably a package type hunt that includes certain animals one of which is a Kudu, but this of course leads to other questions, because it may not be the best all around approach.

I readily agree with Tophet's statement:

"Please remember I am now a sceptic of 'pay for hunting'."

Paying by the inch cheapens the whole affair if you ask me, and marginalizes the rest of the hunting experience as well as another animal's life and place in nature simply because his horns are smaller.

However I must respectfully disagree with this line of thought:

"For a first time trip, South Africa or Namibia are the better choices till you find your feet."

This was the mistake I made, and I'll forever be sorry that I did. The real question for your friend is what type of hunter is he?

If he has no issues with hunting on what is most likely a fenced property, and potentially shooting an animal that may have been bred, bought, and trucked in for the purpose of someone shooting it, then that is his choice, but make sure he asks the specific questions and gets specific answers.

There are several members of these forums that are outfitters as well. Since they are well aware of the level of communication that occurs here you could probably expect them to be good possible choices.

My advice (based of course on my personal preferences) would be to contact a reputable fair chase hunting outfitter in Zimbabwe, where I have had nothing but first class experiences in truly fair chase hunting concessions.

I do also agree with this approach;

"The best thing is to contact as many operators as possible."

And, when asking friends or web forums for referrals, he should combine the report of a good or bad experience with the same question to the people that he is asking, specifically, what type of hunter are you? If that person loves riding around in a truck and shooting everything he sees, it wouldn't be too hard to please him, to which he will return home and report to anyone who asks what a great time he had "hunting."

messmate
.224 member

Reged: 27/07/10
Loc: Great Divide. Victoria. Austra...
      #225947 - 25/02/13 05:39 PM

Gryphon
I can recommend enquiring at Kwalata Wilderness & PH Jaco Strauss in the Limpopo. I had very good hunting there last year. It is hilly to mountain country and I was hunting buffalo but I saw some damned good kudu. Several that were 54 to 58 and at least 2 that were 60+. They were not on my list having got a good one in 2010 with Jaco on a different concession.
Jaco is a great PH, straight as a dye and works hard to get what you are after.
Your mate will require a moderate level of fitness for Kwalata.

Cheers

Jon

gryphon
.450 member

Re: Kudu bull wanted [Re: messmate]
      #225967 - 26/02/13 04:12 AM

Cazadero and messmate thank you both for your replies,they have been passed on along with a few pm`s.
Fitness wouldnt pose any problem as he has been for a gallop with me in the steep hills after deer and can handle it

Cazadero I fully grasp the references to trucks and hunting.

--------------------

Ben
.400 member

Reged: 22/08/08
Loc: Northern Territory, Australia
      #225987 - 26/02/13 08:45 AM

Blaauwkrantz in the Eastern Cape is excellent. It is hilly, and the kudu are totally indigenous to those mountains and have been there since time began. The Cape kudu is indeed slightly smaller, but they still look impressive to me. If you would like to hike hills for kudu, it is fantastic. I understand the shooting ranges are longer than in Limpopo, which was a worry for me as I'm not a very good shot - but I managed.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: Kudu bull wanted [Re: Ben]
      #226147 - 28/02/13 11:42 PM

Gryph

Tell him to try Karl Stumpfe who is also on NE and see what Karl can come up with.

Namibia is good value for plains game and good choices for other game as well.

As you may remember I hunted with Karl a few years ago but not for Kudu. Make sure kudu is specified as the no.1 species so a region or property with Kudu can be organised. Namibia had problems with Kudu catching rabies or something back then so some regions/areas would not be good for them back then, may have improved since. But if kudu is the number one species, and specified as such I think Karl would make sure the property hunted had them in reasonable numbers.

What size is your mate after?

To me around 50" is a trophy and of course bigger. I have seen a 57" once when hunting buffalo in Zimbabwe in the Gwayi Valley. Just like big sambar the big ones will take lots of hard hunting and days, unless one lucks onto them.

I have only ever taken one, a 51 1/4" (never measured it but maybe the PH did?) in the Bubiana Conservancy in Zimbabwe. Missed one in South Africa, it jumped about the same time as the shot or some similar excuse. And passed up the big beautiful one with two good sized askaris walking ailently behind us and not many yards behind us as we watched buffalo in front as mentioned above.

Will have a chat on the phone soon, mate. Busy with vintage at the moment.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

gryphon
.450 member

Re: Kudu bull wanted [Re: NitroX]
      #226168 - 01/03/13 04:27 AM

I pass any and all of the info to him mate,thanks for your input too.
Size after? Well I imagine that anyone flying to Africa from here would want the starter bar set at at least 50" imo

--------------------

Sasquatch
.224 member

Reged: 02/04/06
Loc: Canada
      #226204 - 01/03/13 02:55 PM

Well if he does not mind hunting behind hi fence I would recommend Spiral Horn Safaris in the Limpopo area of South Africa.

If he wants free range kudu, then Namibia would be my pick hands down. As mentioned by Nitro X, Karl Stumpfe is well known and I would also ad Dirk Rohrmann. I hunted Namibia and it was exceptional. Would go back there in a heart beat.

--------------------
Skyline Adventures
www.canadianblackbearhunt.com

CHAPUISARMES
.416 member

Reged: 16/01/08
Loc: DUBBO, NSW, AUSTRALIA
Re: Kudu bull wanted [Re: Sasquatch]
      #226209 - 01/03/13 07:17 PM

Hi Gryphon,

I agree with Tophet1 a 100% as Chris is a great guy and can provide your friend with whatever he wants to hunt besides the Kudu and will hunt in the manner his client wishes.

If your friend tells Chris what he would like to hunt by priority of animal, Chris will work out a 'Special Package' which is the way I went and saved $$$ on the overall safari as normal 'Packages' are made up of some expensive animals and some cheap ones so that the price looks attractive. By saying what he wants to hunt he does not get something that he didn't really want besides Chris will travel between the various areas to provide access to the selected species.

If he requires any info on a Taxidermist and Freight back to Australia just Email me and I will provide the details of who I used successfully,

Cheers for now,

Jeff Gray

Rino
.300 member

Reged: 13/01/07
Loc: Norway/South-Africa
Re: Kudu bull wanted [Re: CHAPUISARMES]
      #226612 - 08/03/13 12:22 PM

May a bull like this be of interest?

--------------------
Alf Rino Hals

Edited by Rino (08/03/13 12:24 PM)

DaggaBoyBlog
.275 member

Reged: 28/02/12
Loc: Sydney, Australia
Re: Kudu bull wanted [Re: Rino]
      #226626 - 08/03/13 09:14 PM

Gryphon I was in South Africa after elephant last August and having hunted kudu successfully in the past, I told my outfitter/PH Siegfried Osmers at Dalerwa Ventures for Wildlife that I would happily hunt a big kudu given the opportunity.

He has access to a property on Mica just outside of Hoedspruit where there are lads of excellent bushbuck, kudu and waterbuck. The property does not have an exemption permit so it sees very little hunting pressure as every hunt needs a permit from Nature Conservation. Rough terrain, thick riverine country and wonderfully challenging country. Trophy fees were VERY affordable, best I've seen in quite a few safaris.

And the kudu, brilliant and we saw more than enough to make it worth the walk!

--------------------
DaggaBoy Blog - Hunting adventures of an ordinary bloke... http://www.daggaboyblog.com.au/

Rino
.300 member

Reged: 13/01/07
Loc: Norway/South-Africa
Re: Kudu bull wanted [Re: DaggaBoyBlog]
      #226628 - 08/03/13 10:08 PM

DaggaBoyBlog... Awesome Bull. !!! Congrats !!

--------------------
Alf Rino Hals

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: Kudu bull wanted [Re: Rino]
      #226629 - 08/03/13 10:38 PM

Interested, not trying to hyjack the thread, but what are the going trophy fee prices for a kudu bull currently?

--------------------
John aka NitroX

DaggaBoyBlog
.275 member

#226641 - 09/03/13 01:27 AM

Quote:

Interested, not trying to hyjack the thread, but what are the going trophy fee prices for a kudu bull currently?

There's all sorts of deals going 'round with sliding scales based on size and I've seen up to $2,750 for a bull. I paid $1,550 which was a flat rate regardless of size, same price I paid nearly 10 years ago. Obviously you've got day rates which will vary that need to be considered...

--------------------
DaggaBoy Blog - Hunting adventures of an ordinary bloke... http://www.daggaboyblog.com.au/

Matt_Graham
Sponsor

Reged: 26/02/04
Loc: Australia
      #226786 - 11/03/13 09:35 AM

Quote:

Well I imagine that anyone flying to Africa from here would want the starter bar set at at least 50" imo

Perhaps... but the free-range bull I killed in RSA in 2011 didnt go 50 inches but was quite the old pig. This was with Crusader Safaris - their prices are much the same as the better ranch areas but totally free-ranging. $2000 for a greater kudu. http://crusadersafaris.co.za

--------------------
www.huntaust.com.au

Matt_Graham
Sponsor

Re: Kudu bull wanted [Re: Matt_Graham]
      #226787 - 11/03/13 09:38 AM

Daggaboyblog - that is a beautiful bull - really cool!!

--------------------
www.huntaust.com.au

gryphon
.450 member

#226794 - 11/03/13 11:19 AM

Thanks for those pics and info,they shall be passed on.

Dagga I answered your PM elsewhere.

--------------------

DaggaBoyBlog
.275 member

#226826 - 11/03/13 10:26 PM

Quote:

Perhaps... but the free-range bull I killed in RSA in 2011 didnt go 50 inches but was quite the old pig. This was with Crusader Safaris - their prices are much the same as the better ranch areas but totally free-ranging. $2000 for a greater kudu. http://crusadersafaris.co.za

Matt that is a wonderful bull!

You're right, the inches don't matter and a free range bull is often much more earned than a ranch bull, something. Was very conscious of wen I hunted kudu nearly 10 years after dropping my first bull. Did you bring home a shoulder mount? My wife was on the property and the lads brought her out to the rocky gully where this old boy fell; she's insisted on a full mount, sitting, head held high with a touch of arrogance. Plan is for him to greet visitors in the foyer...

Congratulations on a beautiful trophy.

--------------------

Matt_Graham
Sponsor

#226828 - 11/03/13 10:35 PM

Thanks mate - I was very lucky to get him. I like the sound of that place you went though... hmmm, very interesting!! I cant remember what we have got coming - it is either a shoulder mount or a wall pedestal... hopefully it was a wall pedestal!!

--------------------
www.huntaust.com.au

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#226899 - 12/03/13 02:25 PM

Quote:

He has access to a property on Mica just outside of Hoedspruit where there are lads of excellent bushbuck, kudu and waterbuck. The property does not have an exemption permit so it sees very little hunting pressure as every hunt needs a permit from Nature Conservation. Rough terrain, thick riverine country and wonderfully challenging country. Trophy fees were VERY affordable, best I've seen in quite a few safaris.

And the kudu, brilliant and we saw more than enough to make it worth the walk!

Very nice kudu there. Congratulations.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

gryphon
.450 member

#226904 - 12/03/13 03:46 PM

He is certainly swollen,is there a chance you had to follow him up at all.
Great great bull.

--------------------

DaggaBoyBlog
.275 member

#226915 - 12/03/13 09:26 PM

Quote:

He is certainly swollen,is there a chance you had to follow him up at all.
Great great bull.

My Woodleigh clipped a Raisin Bush on the way through and entered the bull a bit farther back then planned before spinning forward like a frisbee. Quite a bit of damage to both lungs but he had enough puff to make it about 400 yards up a steep gully. He collapsed over a pile of rocks which is "pushing" him up a bit... it was 37°C that day... but I think the perforated rumen had a fairly adequate breather to allow a lot of the gases out...

We saw perhaps 8 bulls in the mid fifties, 5 of them together. This fellow was a neat 55" on the long side, 1/4" less on the short. Much bigger bodied than my other kudu.

A few more pics of the bull on the ground, the spot we found him and a posed shot by the skinning shed. Those turned out tips are just lovely!!!

--------------------

gryphon
.450 member

#226950 - 13/03/13 08:13 AM

Yep,he`s a ripper alright,a real beaut! In a post above I wrote

"Dagga I answered your PM elsewhere."

Matty have you got a pic of your mount to show us,you to Dagga,both ways are another option for my mate.

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 49 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 12076

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com