Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Is bigger really better?

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Africa & hunting dangerous game

Pages: 1
EricD
.416 member

Reged: 27/02/04
Is bigger really better?
      #21829 - 07/12/04 06:50 AM

I've watched a few hunting videos lately, such as "Death by doublerifle", some "capstick" films, a few Mark Sullivan films and various others. Beside the episodes where the animal is pumped up with adrenelin (especially in the MS films...) many of the shots have been on grazing buff etc that were calm and unawear of being hunted. What I have found interesting is that many of the hunters have used large caliburs such as the 600NE, 577NE, 500 Jeffrey etc. I was kind of expecting to see a visable differance in shot reaction compaired to those shot with a 450/400NE, 416 or 375. But it kind of hasn't been quite so as far as I could see. OK, some of the smaller bore shots have put the animal right down because of a hit to the spine, but when looking at hit in what appears to be in the heart/lung region, most of the animals I've seen in these movies have usually gone just as far, and stood just as long, with both "big bigbores" and "smaller bigbores".

I'm kind of thinking that logically this shouldn't be so, because a bigger bullet makes a bigger hole etc. And I know that the many moose I have shot with a 375H&H have gone down much quicker with it, then with a 30-06, 308 or 6.5x55.

So then I'm thinking that these guys running around with some very big (and cool, I might add!) guns might be shooting poorly because they're flinching. So the benefit of using a big double is kind of, well, not there!

I sort of presume that the posters on this board might not have this problem, being more interested in hunting/shooting/guns then many others, and thus probably practicing more. But do you guys agree that there are a lot of double users out there that should maybe stick to something more managable that they actually practice with? I looks to me like there are quite a lot of double users who have such a gun more for the status, than the actual interest in them. A good shot with a 416 or 375 has to be better than a mediocre shot with a "super bigbore"!

Erik

(The above is of course a ploy to get you guys to question your own abilities, and thus sell your double cheap, crashing the double market, so I can get one for a reasonable price! )

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
iqbal
resigned as a member

Reged: 05/02/03
Loc: Karachi,Pakistan
Re: Is bigger really better? [Re: EricD]
      #21905 - 08/12/04 04:43 AM

Its not the size that counts,its the performance!

AspenHill
Sponsor

Reged: 08/01/03
Loc: Vermont, USA
      #21908 - 08/12/04 06:32 AM

I have many friends who would agree that size matters.

--------------------
~Ann

Everyday spent outdoors is the best day of my life.

Aspen Hill Adventures

bonanza
.400 member

Reged: 17/05/04
Loc: South Carolina
      #21909 - 08/12/04 06:46 AM

I've never hunted DG, but I'd venture to say to have two senarios: killing and stopping. Nothing stops a charge better than good ole, kinetic energy. And you need the super big bores .500+ to generate 6000+ foot pounds of ME., ouch!!

--------------------

"Speak Precisely" G. Gordon Liddy.

"Life is absurd, chaotic and we must define its purpose with our actions" Abert Camus

"I''m the dude playing a dude disguised as another dude."

"Yo! Mr. White"

EricD
.416 member

Re: Is bigger really better? [Re: bonanza]
      #21912 - 08/12/04 08:26 AM

In reply to:

And you need the super big bores .500+ to generate 6000+ foot pounds of ME., ouch!!

Bonanza,

But for the above to work, you have to actually hit the target! Which it appears a lot of Mark Sullivan clients aren't very good at...

Erik

EricD
.416 member

Re: Is bigger really better? [Re: AspenHill]
      #21913 - 08/12/04 08:30 AM

In reply to:

~Ann

Ann! You naughty girl!

Erik

bonanza
.400 member

#21916 - 08/12/04 08:53 AM

I'm totally convinced most hunters don't practice offhand shooting nearly enough with there DG rifles. I have worked up "light" loads in my 375 H&H and 470 nitro to practice, practice and practice.

--------------------

"Life is absurd, chaotic and we must define its purpose with our actions" Abert Camus

"Yo! Mr. White"

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
      #21921 - 08/12/04 09:40 AM

In reply to:

Oy, young impressionable kiddies might be reading this! They might be scared for life (as we all now the internet is otherwise devoid of anything not nice or shocking ).

The key here is whether the calibre size is important or driving a thinner projectile faster and harder in a longer case.

As always I argue that after a point, increasing calibre (and weight) at a respectable speed is more effective.

As to Erik's question , my personal untested view is once you go beyond .577 calibre, or .500 for that matter, the diminishing returns of recoil and slowness in possibly needed follow-up shots reduces their effectiveness. For the average shooter probably .450 or .a 400 is ideal.

A .375 (or larger bore) will kill small and medium game very quickly, but my belief is larger game simply takes longer to die unless the brain or spine (in the neck) is hit. Increasing the calibre increases the damage by a percentage and also possibly breaks more bones but the animal is just going to take a while to die and blasting away is just going to use up bullets at best and at worst get the animals adrenalin going. This certainly has been the case with ALL the large animals I have shot to date.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

4seventy
Sponsor

Reged: 07/05/03
Loc: Queensland Australia
      #21927 - 08/12/04 10:20 AM

In reply to:

Is bigger really better?

Hell yes, but as well as better it's more fun!

JefferyDenmark
.300 member

Reged: 10/06/04
Loc: The Kingdom of Denmark
Re: Is bigger really better? [Re: 4seventy]
      #21931 - 08/12/04 10:43 AM

In reply to:

Is bigger really better?

Yes it is Erik if you hit the right spot.
Mark Sullivan is a great shot but where is he aiming

Cheers,

André

--------------------
Always always use enough ... GUN

AspenHill
Sponsor

#21938 - 08/12/04 12:56 PM

Hey, I kept it clean. Besides, girls just want to have fun.

Just so you know, when I said "several friends", quite a few of them are guys (blokes to you Ozlanders) who are quite liberal with their comments.

Erik, I think you knew you'd get a few off color remarks with such a post title anyway. I am actually surprised there weren't more of them.

--------------------
~Ann

Aspen Hill Adventures

ThomasEdwards
.300 member

Reged: 04/01/04
Loc: Newport Beach, CA
      #21939 - 08/12/04 01:00 PM

...i think wdm bell resolved this point nearly a century ago...

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#21945 - 08/12/04 01:57 PM

Ann as you well know, I couldn't give a damn. Be as smutty as you wish. That is why I cynically mentioned the general content on the 'net. If you do a legitimate search it is amazing what you can find. I once did a search on something which I forget and found a lovely site that was full of the techniques of impaling. With lovely graphic photos and diagrams. A 'how-to' site for the enthusiast . Quite interesting though. Enough off-topic.

And you are right, Eric's question does invite it.

Talking about is bigger better, if you analyse the calibres used by South African PH-wannabees, how many use a .308 or .30-06 instead of a bigger calibre, considering it is a timed and accuracy trial. Few use eg a .375 or .416 let alone a.458. Defeats the purpose of the test in my opinion.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

4seventy
Sponsor

Re: Is bigger really better? [Re: NitroX]
      #21947 - 08/12/04 02:10 PM

Looks like this must be "Bag a PH Week"!

Edited by 4seventy (08/12/04 02:11 PM)

AspenHill
Sponsor

#21966 - 08/12/04 11:53 PM

A 30.06 is plenty good for most game in Africa. I've killed up to eland with one and felt quite confident in the killing power of the gun using measly 180 grain loads.

I enjoy my .375H&H as well, it is a nice shooting gun. But on a two gun trip, those are the two I would take with me. I dropped a wonderful imapla ram at approximately 250 yards away with the .375 as it drank in a river bed well below me. Nice accurate firearm. I suppose I can take some credit as well for being a decent shot with it.

On that note I will agree with "user talent" being essential. It really compliments "size" as well.

Take that as you like, smutty or not!

--------------------
~Ann

Aspen Hill Adventures

bonanza
.400 member

#21968 - 09/12/04 01:08 AM

Depends,

This can get a little technical. In a kill situation, one wants to create the largest wound channel with the greatest penetration. A garret .458 520 grain hammerhead bullet with a huge metplat will create a lager wound channel than a .500 520 grain round nose. It has to do with the leading edge shock wave that flat "point" generates passing through flesh. However, in a stopping situation a .500 probably will be more effective shearly due to greater ME. I've read that the best lion stopper is a 458 lott. Why? Because the shock that a 500 grain bullet imparts on the nervous system above 2500 fps is devistating.

--------------------

"Yo! Mr. White"

4seventy
Sponsor

#21987 - 09/12/04 09:22 AM

In reply to:

I've read that the best lion stopper is a 458 lott. Why? Because the shock that a 500 grain bullet imparts on the nervous system above 2500 fps is devistating.

A 500 grain bullet doing above 2500 fps from a 458 lott would most likely be "devistating" for the shooter and also the rifle!

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#21992 - 09/12/04 11:41 AM

In reply to:

Looks like this must be "Bag a PH Week"!

Two comments only so far?

Re: the South African tyro PH tests. I would think the main time a PH is expected to shoot with a client is 1) physical danger, and maybe 2) when a animal is to escape.

On a pure plains game hunt maybe a PH will get away with carrying a medium calibre such as a .30-06 or .270. Probably this is only the case where there will be no dangerous game present during the hunt. Perhaps for a plains game hunt they shouldn't carry a rifle at all as the client should be responsible for dropping the odd antelope or them escaping if not.

My limited personal experience with PHs has seen a PH or guide carrying:
1. Nothing - a deer hunt;
2. Nothing - a plains game hunt;
3. a .338 Win Mag for a plains game hunt;
4. a .243 for a plains game hunt - where it was a mate hunting with me;
5. a .458 Win Mag for a plains/buffalo hunt where dangerous game was likely to be present inaddition to buffalo;
6. a .458 Win Mag for a buffalo hunt.

My point is for the South African tests is if in a real situation the PH will be using a bigger calibre for EXACTLY the situations they are testing for, why are they allowed to use medium calibres, just because it is EASIER to pass that way. In reality many of these guys may not own a larger bore yet. Another point which I will not go into (otherwise more claims of bagging PHs ).

As for the relevance to this thread. Using the medium sized calibres and not even smaller big bores, allows these students to shoot more accurately with more confidence and with faster follow-up shots.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Edited by NitroX (09/12/04 12:39 PM)

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#21993 - 09/12/04 11:44 AM

In reply to:

A garret .458 520 grain hammerhead bullet with a huge metplat will create a lager wound channel than a .500 520 grain round nose.

Wouldn't a Garrett hard lead hammerhead bullet driven at Lott speeds actually break-up?

--------------------
John aka NitroX

4seventy
Sponsor

#21996 - 09/12/04 12:21 PM

In reply to:

In reality many of these guys may not own a larger bore yet. Another point which I will not go into (otherwise more claims of bagging PHs ).

Hey come on now, no need to be shy!

Edited by NitroX (09/12/04 12:34 PM)

NONE
.300 member

Reged: 15/12/03
      #22150 - 12/12/04 02:25 PM

A 500 grain bullet doing above 2500 fps from a 458 lott would most likely be "devistating" for the shooter and also the rifle!

Every shooter is diffrent and every shooter has a diffrent level of what is unmanagable recoil, 2500fps is quite a snap for any rifle.
When I shoot my .458lott 500 grain @ 2350fps I can easily put round after round on target off the sticks or freehand. I think its more in the rifle you have built.
Mine is a bit hefty and custom built from the ground up for a heavy caliber, with that combo for all the jokes about the lott kicking your brains out the recoil is not very bad at all in the right rifle for someone farily recoil tolerant.

We will see when the .600OK comes in if this still holds true IMO bigger is always better event when its not.

James F. Nixon III

4seventy
Sponsor

Re: Is bigger really better? [Re: NONE]
      #22157 - 12/12/04 07:17 PM

In reply to:

None,
When I made that comment I wasn't just thinking about the recoil but also the fact that 2500+ with 500 grainers from a 458 lott would surely be pushing pressures to frightening levels?

atkinson6
.375 member

Reged: 26/01/04
Loc: Idaho
      #22803 - 29/12/04 11:06 AM

Try a big dose of reality and shoot the largest caliber for DG that you can get along with...

For me, after many years of shooting big bore rifles, that is a 404, 416 or a down loaded .470 with a 500 gr. bullet at about 2000 to 2100...and lately I have been shooting the full house .470 with a 500 gr. at 2245 FPS, but I can handle any of them if I "have to", but damn that bitch kicks.....

And never underestimate the fine old 375 H&H, it WILL get the job done....

DUGABOY1
.400 member

Reged: 02/02/03
Loc: TEXAS USA
      #22923 - 31/12/04 08:31 AM

In reply to:

I'll try to remember not to buy a used rifle from the guy who loads his 458LOTT to 2500 fps, with a 500 gr bullet!

--------------------
..........Mac >>>===(x)===>
DUGABOY1, and MacD37 founding member of DRSS www.doublerifleshooterssociety.com
"If I die today, I have had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"

atkinson6
.375 member

Reged: 26/01/04
Loc: Idaho
Re: Is bigger really better? [Re: DUGABOY1]
      #22986 - 31/12/04 03:57 PM

Bonanza is correct, you can load a 458 Lott to 2500 FPS with a max load of IMR-4320 and a 26 inch barrel, the next grain up got me a slightly sticky bolt in that gun so I cut back about 3 grs. to 84 grs. of IMR-4320 for 2350 FPS. I wanted to see how far I could stretch that string, and how far my expected velocity of 2300 FPS was from absolute max...

I learned the 458 Lott can really utilize a long tube as I couldn't even come close with a latter Lott with 22' barrel....and understand that barrels can differ as much as a 100 FPS from one to another, so perhaps not every Lott with a 26" tube will do this...I also learned the Lott at that velocity would make your teeth ache...

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 65 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3339

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com