Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Misfire on a Cape Buffalo

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Africa & hunting dangerous game

Pages: 1
Cazadero
.375 member

Reged: 17/10/11
Loc: Texas
Misfire on a Cape Buffalo
      #215444 - 25/08/12 09:11 AM

If you read my hunting report from this year's trip to Zimbabwe you saw that after shooting the first time I had a misfire on my second shot. I received lots of responses on this so I thought I would post some photos and ask the members here for some input.

The rifle is a Krieghoff Classic in .470 Nitro. It is ten years old and been on three buffalo safaris. I keep it very clean, including periodic cleaning during periods of inactivity, (which can be months at a time), and truthfully it has not been fired that much.

Ammunition is Federal (factory) Premium Cape-Shok with 500 Gr. Sledgehammers.

The cartridge definitely has powder in it, as you can hear it when you shake it, and we did not try to fire it or any other cartridges afterward, though we probably should have.

These are the two that were in the gun at the time

I took these pics with a macro adapter on my i-phone. Sorry the quality is not better.

close up one

close up two

I'd also be curious to see (even with the poor quality photos) if members can guess from the above photos which cartridge is the misfire.

Thanks for any help or feedback. I will post whatever the outcome is.
What should I do
You may choose only one
Send the cartridge to Federal
Try and fire it again
Try and fire it in the other barrel
Inspect and test the rifle (both barrels) thoroughly
Disassemble the cartridge and inspect the interior
Buy a lottery ticket (suggested by albertan)
Other

Votes accepted from (25/08/12 09:09 AM) to (No end specified)
You must vote before you can view the results of this poll

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: Misfire on a Cape Buffalo [Re: Cazadero]
      #215458 - 25/08/12 10:50 AM

Personally I would try it again but the primer may be faulty.

Also try another round with the same barrel to make sure it is not a rifle problem. But doubt it as the primer is well indented.

Either way with factory ammo, for a DG round, not good performance.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

500Nitro
.450 member

Reged: 06/01/03
Loc: Victoria, Australia
Re: Misfire on a Cape Buffalo [Re: NitroX]
      #215460 - 25/08/12 10:59 AM

I agree.

Try some more ammo in the gun to make sure it is not
a gun problem. One of the primers is definitely less indented than the other but as you say, which is the misfire !!!

Before trying the same cartridge int he gun again, I'd compare the shaking the powder noise between the misfire
and a new one, just to make sure their is enough powder in it.

And then after firing a couple of NEW rounds in each barrel to determine it is NOT a gun problem, try the misfire again.

chuckT
.275 member

Reged: 11/07/11
Loc: texas usa
Re: Misfire on a Cape Buffalo [Re: 500Nitro]
      #215466 - 25/08/12 12:33 PM

If the cartridge on the left is the one that misfired , it does look like a light strike by the firing pin. I'd shoot the rifle to rule out any problems there ( gunked up firing pin, weak spring ). If the rifle functions o..k. after multiple shots could be bad primer in the misfired round . If it appears not to be a rifle issue I'd let Federal know what happened and see what their response is.

500Nitro
.450 member

Reged: 06/01/03
Loc: Victoria, Australia
Re: Misfire on a Cape Buffalo [Re: chuckT]
      #215467 - 25/08/12 12:41 PM

I agree re the "light" strike. I forgot to put
that in my previous post.

Rule303
.416 member

Reged: 05/07/09
Loc: Woodford Qld
Re: Misfire on a Cape Buffalo [Re: 500Nitro]
      #215472 - 25/08/12 02:43 PM

The primer on the left looks like the dud one to me. I do not know if it is a light strike as the detent is deep so much as the primer failed and there was no pressure to cause the primer to shape more conscisly to the firing pin.

As others have said try new rounds in both barrels and if they fire try the dud in the other barrel.

HuntingSchneider
.333 member

Reged: 02/04/06
Loc: Tamworth, NSW
Re: Misfire on a Cape Buffalo [Re: Rule303]
      #215475 - 25/08/12 03:37 PM

I agree with the others. Left primer looks to be a lighter strike than the right.

I'd try the rifle with some more ammo. If all is fine with other ammo, try the failed cartridge again. If it fails, contact Federal with much displeasure.

--------------------
Liberals, stealing firearms since '96.
Steal one firearm, you're a thief. Steal a million, you're a Prime Minister.

albertan
.333 member

Reged: 13/06/06
Loc: Alberta, Canada
Re: Misfire on a Cape Buffalo [Re: HuntingSchneider]
      #215476 - 25/08/12 03:46 PM

The left cartridge has suffered a light strike. No doubt about it. And you should buy a lottery ticket.

VonGruff
.400 member

Reged: 08/02/09
Loc: South Otago, New Zealand.
Re: Misfire on a Cape Buffalo [Re: albertan]
      #215477 - 25/08/12 04:35 PM

Yes the cartridge on the left was a misfire. I voted "other" because I would try another cartridge in that barrel and check for firing pin function. Ascertain whether it is a rifle or ammo question before deciding on the next step.

Von Gruff.

--------------------
Von Gruff.

Exodus 20:1-17

Acts 4:10-12

SAHUNT
Sponsor

Reged: 27/12/04
Loc: Centurion, RSA
Re: Misfire on a Cape Buffalo [Re: VonGruff]
      #215481 - 25/08/12 05:51 PM

I also think the one on the left is the misfire.
I would have fired another round in the barrel where the misfire occured, to check that the fire pin is not the problem. If the round went off I would fire the misfired round in the barrel the fired, to check the primer on the misfired round. If the round still don't fire I will send it to Federal.

--------------------
Life is how you pass the time between hunting trips.
Sometimes I do not express myself properly in the English language, please forgive me, I am just a boertjie.
Jaco Human
jacohu@mweb.co.za
SA Hunting Experience

CHAPUISARMES
.416 member

Reged: 16/01/08
Loc: DUBBO, NSW, AUSTRALIA
Re: Misfire on a Cape Buffalo [Re: SAHUNT]
      #215486 - 25/08/12 07:32 PM

I voted "Other" as well, personally I would have already tried other rounds to prove that it was or was not the rifle, especially if I was on Safari as the title reads. I would now send an Email to Federal and provide the 'Link' to this subject matter and a description of what happened then wait to hear back from them.

I would not try and destroy the evidence by trying to fire it again in either barrel.

Report, Wait and then decide on your further actions, you never know they may decide to send a few boxes in return for the 'Dud' one to keep the Customer happy (maybe) I have had misfires before with reloads but have never had a problem like that with Federal Ammunition or other commercial ammunition.

Cheers,

Jeff Gray

eagle27
.400 member

Reged: 24/01/09
Loc: Nelson, New Zealand
Re: Misfire on a Cape Buffalo [Re: CHAPUISARMES]
      #215504 - 26/08/12 08:05 AM

I too say the right hand case is the fired round but I would not say that the left hand mis-fire is a soft firing pin strike because as Rule303 has pointed out the misfire has not had the pressure to flatten the primer against the breech face and form the pin indent as it has on the fired case. The left hand case has received a good pin indent. Misfires I have seen caused by weakened springs or worn pins usually show very shallow indents, or in rare cases of a hard primer still show the same shallow indent.

Whichever is the misfired round it has definitely received a good indent and should have fired. I would be very concerned that this has happen to dangerous game factory ammo.

Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
Re: Misfire on a Cape Buffalo [Re: eagle27]
      #215506 - 26/08/12 08:39 AM

Heck, this is the US right, sue them for putting your life endanger..should be worth several trips to Africa..

Kidding, but agree ,,whenever I have had a misfire I have tried it at least one more time..as this is in a double, also agree to check that the firing pin in the left to make sure it is functioning properly..

Ammo can be bad although a bit rare..heck I got a box of 22-25- Rem ammo once that had the bullet seated upside down in the brass..crazy...

called Rem, they sent me a free box of ammo..

Ripp

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

500grains
.416 member

Reged: 16/02/04
Loc: Salt Lake City, Utah USA
Re: Misfire on a Cape Buffalo [Re: Ripp]
      #215510 - 26/08/12 10:26 AM

I think the rifle has one of three problems:

- light firing pin spring,
- short firing pin, or
- rim area of chamber cut too deep.

Send that gun back to Krieghoff and tell those Germans to get their act together.

VonGruff
.400 member

Reged: 08/02/09
Loc: South Otago, New Zealand.
Re: Misfire on a Cape Buffalo [Re: 500grains]
      #215517 - 26/08/12 12:19 PM

Quote:

I think the rifle has one of three problems:

- light firing pin spring,
- short firing pin, or
- rim area of chamber cut too deep.

Send that gun back to Krieghoff and tell those Germans to get their act together.

If you read the OP you will see that the gun is ten years old and has (from lack of written evidence to say otherwise) performed up untill the incident with that one round which leads me to believe it is a ammo rather than rifle problem.
I have had a packet of Winchester ammo with a primer in backward so with the millions of rounds manufactured it is not surprising that an OCASIONAL failure of QC might let a brummy slip through. Maybe it should never happen but nothing and no-one can get it right 100% of the time.

Von Gruff.

--------------------
Von Gruff.

Exodus 20:1-17

Acts 4:10-12

Edited by VonGruff (26/08/12 12:21 PM)

Kano
.300 member

Reged: 09/07/03
Loc: East Africa
Re: Misfire on a Cape Buffalo [Re: VonGruff]
      #215526 - 26/08/12 04:58 PM

Left is the misfire. It does not look "light", the indentation is less pronounced because the primer was not pressed back on the face and around the firing pin when the round went off, like in a fired case.

IMO the most likely culprit is the primer, I'd like to know why... Missing anvil? rare, but can happen.

--------------------
Philip

albertan
.333 member

Reged: 13/06/06
Loc: Alberta, Canada
Re: Misfire on a Cape Buffalo [Re: Kano]
      #215536 - 26/08/12 06:26 PM

I never would have thought about the rim area of the chamber being cut too deep. Thanks for the advice.

xausa
.400 member

Reged: 07/03/07
Loc: Tennessee, USA
Re: Misfire on a Cape Buffalo [Re: Cazadero]
      #215546 - 26/08/12 09:04 PM

Quote:

we did not try to fire it or any other cartridges afterward, though we probably should have.

I am a little bemused trying to imagine a situation where you would attempt to fire, experience a misfire, and simply make no further attempt to fire. One of the supposed benefits of the Krieghoff cocking system is the ability to recock without opening the breech, always a dangerous thing to do in case a misfire turns out to be a hang fire.

Could you not have simply recocked the action and attempted to fire the left barrel again, or was the shot a fleeting opportunity which vanished before you could recock?

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 20 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 5526

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com