Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Stuart Taylor, Kambako - best wishes after shooting accident

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Africa & hunting dangerous game

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Stuart Taylor, Kambako - best wishes after shooting accident
      #214924 - 19/08/12 06:01 AM

News on the net is that of the 4th of August, Stuart Taylor of Kambako Safaris in Mozambique was wounded by gunshot from an accidental discharge by his client, Tim Herald, during a buffalo charge.

Stuart is in hospital and is expected to recover with no organs damaged with a broken clavicle.

I met Stuart during one of his visits to Australia for Kambako, during the second to last Wild Deer Expo.

Our member Ozhunter I believe knows Stuart well.

Wishing Stuart a speedy and complete recovery from the wound and best wishes from NE to Stuart, his family and the team at Kambako Safaris.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: Stuart Taylor, Kambako - best wishes after shooting accident [Re: NitroX]
      #214926 - 19/08/12 06:16 AM

Tim Herald's account:

http://www.american-hunter.com/accident-on-safari-by-tim-herald

Accident on Safari…Tim Herald
August 6, 2012 by JT

It is with great regret that I make this hunt report, but I wanted to get this out firsthand and quickly before a rumor mill begins. On August 4th, PH Stu Taylor, his 2 trackers, my cameraman and I were buffalo hunting in Niassa Reserve. We bumped a loan bull twice in the morning, and by 8:00ish AM we decided to leave him for the afternoon hunt.
We began again at 3:30PM, and by 4:30, the buff had us moving very slowly through some very nasty and thick jesse. Fifteen minutes later we were in a spot with 10 yard visibility at the farthest, and the bull crashed out. I assumed he was going away, but then everyone in front of me parted, and I could see the black mass coming straight at us.
I tried to walk backwards as I was bringing up my .458, but after a couple steps, I tripped and fell backwards. As I fell, I hit the trigger and my gun discharged. Simultaneously, Stu had fired at the buff from the hip and hit and turned him. He definitely saved someone’s life.
At that point Stu began yelling. I rushed toward him, and then realized that my errant bullet had hit Stu in the back, and come out his shoulder. We applied pressure as much we could to subside bleeding, and began the 1KM plus walk out toward the road.
Fortunately one of our group of hunters is a military special forces surgeon, and he was there by the time we got to the truck and was able to dress the wound, pack it and get an Israeli bandage on.
We got him to camp, the wound was redressed, and we stabilized Stu as we organized evacuation. The pilot trying to take off in Pemba was arrested for attempting to fly out in the dark, and we were told it would be the next morning before we could get Stu out. We had some pain medication, and Stu was even able to eat a small bit of dinner.
As I write this, we just got Stu on a plane out to Pemba where a MARS jet is waiting to take him to Johannesburg where he can get quality medical attention. Our doctor here feels that besides a broken clavicle, Stu’s injuries are light tissue wound, but it was still a .458 tat went through him. The bullet passed through without breaking anything in the shoulder, he can work his left hand fine, and besides the pain from broken clavicle, he could raise his arm. We are so very thankful that it was a solid.
Stu is one of the toughest individuals I have ever seen, as he was a calm trooper through it all. He is in good spirits, says that this will no way stop him from hunting, and he was giving a thumbs up when we closed the plane door on his departure.
I want to start a Stuart Taylor Relief Fund as soon as possible, but I do not quite know how to go about it at this point, as I will not be home for a week. Please pray for Stu and his family. We are all sure he will make a quick recovery, but obviously this is a very serious situation. Please keep Stu in prayers. I know for a fact that that prayers will and do help as much as anything.
Hunt Hard….Tim

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

gryphon
.450 member

Reged: 01/01/03
Loc: Sambar ground/Victoria/Austral...
      #214927 - 19/08/12 06:59 AM

It reads as if the client has an excuse for shooting his man in the back.
Good luck to the guide and to his toughness.

It makes you wonder how experienced the client was and how capable of attending to such a situation as has happened.

Impact could have been a few inches away in the back of the guides head and there is no escape from death there.

Q "I tried to walk backwards as I was bringing up my .458, but after a couple steps, I tripped and fell backwards. "

Oh so fkn blase it reads!

Or should that read " i shit myself and the gun went off"

Yep wasn't there of course and responding to the tale but just about in all the vid`s I see of DG being shot in charges the rifleman holds his ground and keeps shooting...."tried to walk backwards"

Stand fast and keep em coming!

--------------------
Get off the chair away from the desk and get out in the bush and enjoy life.

Ben
.400 member

Reged: 22/08/08
Loc: Northern Territory, Australia
Re: Stuart Taylor, Kambako - best wishes after shooting accident [Re: gryphon]
      #214930 - 19/08/12 07:49 AM

I disagree with you on a few points, Gryph. The chap isn't blase, instead he made a pretty brave confession in an industry where no matter what the client does he is afforded discretion. People do walk or run backwards sometimes in those situations; every situation is different. And even very experienced people can bugger things up. I wish them both the best and hope that this reminds us all to take care.

gryphon
.450 member

Reged: 01/01/03
Loc: Sambar ground/Victoria/Austral...
Re: Stuart Taylor, Kambako - best wishes after shooting accident [Re: Ben]
      #215011 - 20/08/12 05:57 AM

Ben take my post in the context of how it was composed...I responded to the words as they were written...and to me they read as blase.We can all form an independent view on how we perceive a post

I did write the below.

"It reads as if the client"

"Oh so fkn blase it reads!"

--------------------
Get off the chair away from the desk and get out in the bush and enjoy life.

500grains
.416 member

Reged: 16/02/04
Loc: Salt Lake City, Utah USA
Re: Stuart Taylor, Kambako - best wishes after shooting accident [Re: gryphon]
      #215014 - 20/08/12 06:16 AM

1. My condolences to Stu for his injury and I wish him a full recovery.

2. Tim, you should be serving a 5 year prison sentence for reckless endangerment. You were careless enough to make several simultaneous mistakes: (a) safety off, (b) finger on trigger, (c) muzzle not pointed in a safe direction, and (d) backing up (idiots and cowards always fall down backing away from danger).

3. Barring prison time Tim, you should sell your house, your cars, and your guns and cash out your retirement plan and give the money to Stu because that is the honorable thing to do. But I see you have no honor and instead are asking unlrelated third parties to contribute money to pay for your negligence. That is dishonorable behavior even though it is the same tact that General Boddington followed when his daughter shot someone.

When you send a bullet, you are morally responsible for all of its consequences.

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: Stuart Taylor, Kambako - best wishes after shooting accident [Re: 500grains]
      #215018 - 20/08/12 07:04 AM

I read it the same and will not allow a client to have a round in the chamber & their bolt must be open. I've looked back at a client many times, only too often to see a finger wrapped around the trigger and the muzzle pointed right at me - I'm so glad of my bolt open rule.

The PH is so very lucky!!!

Best wishes for a speedy recovery, Stuart.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

chuckT
.275 member

Reged: 11/07/11
Loc: texas usa
Re: Stuart Taylor, Kambako - best wishes after shooting accident [Re: DarylS]
      #215279 - 23/08/12 09:50 AM

RULE #1- Gun is always loaded , RULE #2 - FINGER OFF TRIGGER UNTIL SIGHTS ON TARGET !!!!! Read about this event on another forum, the responses made my hair stand on end. I don't think I'll be spending my time on that site anymore. Bottom line the "hunter" screwed up. Damn glad the PH survived. Don't like lawyers very much but in this case PH should sue the crap out of the dude.

500grains
.416 member

Re: Stuart Taylor, Kambako - best wishes after shooting accident [Re: chuckT]
      #215429 - 25/08/12 05:48 AM

It seems another client in Zim has managed to shoot his PH, but apparently with even more devastating injuries this time:

.500 NE double, elbow shot

Quote:

My name is Mark Howland and I am the Father of Anthony who was injured in the accident on
Wednesday last week and had to have his right arm amputated as a result.

He was looking for a warthog for his client when the accident happened. I understand the client dropped his weapon while crossing a small stream and the safety failed and resulted in an AD which hit my son in the elbow from behind. The round was a large calibre soft nose and virtually separated the bottom of his arm from the top.

At the time he was about an hour and a half away from his vehicle which was a further hour and a half from the closest airstrip. Under instruction from Anthony, his staff fashioned a stretcher, as well stemming the bleeding and carried him out to his hunting vehicle. He was then driven to the airstrip by his driver. They arrived at the airstrip to be met by a medical air rescue service with a doctor in attendance. He was then flown to Harare and admitted to hospital. His arm was immediately amputated and he was transferred to the hospitals high care unit.

The wound was inspected on Friday and was found to be healing nicely. He has been recovering
Quickly and was moved from high care to a general ward on Saturday. Today, Monday he will be having
The wound sown up and we hope to have Anthony home later this week.

Many thanks for your time. I hope this slightly fuller account of the accident clears a few things.
Kind regards,

Mike

500grains
.416 member

#215431 - 25/08/12 05:50 AM

Quote:

Read about this event on another forum, the responses made my hair stand on end.

Yes indeed, the spirit of the responses seemed to be, "Well that's hunting!"

Anytime someone is shot, it is either intentional (e.g., self-defense), or a world-class screwup.

In the PH elbow shooting above, if the client had just cracked his action open in order to traverse the creek and the rough terrain surrounding it, there would have been no accidental injury.

500Nitro
.450 member

Reged: 06/01/03
Loc: Victoria, Australia
Re: Stuart Taylor, Kambako - best wishes after shooting accident [Re: 500grains]
      #215433 - 25/08/12 05:58 AM

Both sad cases and both very, very lucky indeed.

A few inches either way in each case and the results
would have been even worse.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: Stuart Taylor, Kambako - best wishes after shooting accident [Re: 500Nitro]
      #215455 - 25/08/12 10:39 AM

An update on Stu Taylor:

Quote:

From his site: Have just spoken to Stu, surgery went ok yesterday, they put in more screws and took a sample to check if he has an infection or not. His arm is very swollen, so they suspect so. Will know more once the cultures have come back. He is still in alot of pain.
He is due for more surgery again next week, so turning out to be a bigger excersize that originally expected. He so eloquently put it that by next week he will have been into 4 out of 8 theaters in Milpark, so making his way through them all.

A .458 through the shoulder/collar bone is not minor. Good luck to him and hope the pain decreases, the surgeries are soon over and any infection clears up quickly.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

chuckT
.275 member

Reged: 11/07/11
Loc: texas usa
      #215462 - 25/08/12 12:16 PM

I sincerely hope Mr. Taylor makes a full and speedy recovery and is able to return to the field.

ozhunter
.400 member

Reged: 18/08/04
Loc: Sydney, Australia
      #215950 - 02/09/12 07:54 PM

Just visited Stu and he seems in good spirit(out for the weekend with his girlfriend) but still has pain. It still looks like he will be stuck in rehab for another two or three weeks for observation then hopefully home to Bulawayo.
With some luck he might get an Elephant hunt in before the end of the season.
So far infection has not reared its ugly head.
Get well soon bud.

Stu in more pleasant times;

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: Stuart Taylor, Kambako - best wishes after shooting accident [Re: ozhunter]
      #215957 - 03/09/12 12:55 AM

Ozhunter,

Good to hear he is out of hospital at least for the weekend. Good luck to him and his rehab.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Rule303
.416 member

Reged: 05/07/09
Loc: Woodford Qld
      #215990 - 03/09/12 01:15 PM

That is good news.

eagle27
.400 member

Reged: 24/01/09
Loc: Nelson, New Zealand
      #216005 - 03/09/12 05:32 PM

Quote:

RULE #1- Gun is always loaded , RULE #2 - FINGER OFF TRIGGER UNTIL SIGHTS ON TARGET !!!!! Read about this event on another forum, the responses made my hair stand on end. I don't think I'll be spending my time on that site anymore. Bottom line the "hunter" screwed up. Damn glad the PH survived. Don't like lawyers very much but in this case PH should sue the crap out of the dude.

Yes and there is a elephant hunt video recently posted on the 'other' forum with an exponent of the double reloading on the trot (to keep up with the PH) looking down often as he struggles to reload and then snaps the double shut all the while the PH right in front and barrels pointing at him or very close to him.
The beauty of the bolt action holding four or more rounds is it can be held pointing at right angles to the body away from anyone in front and reloaded on the run without taking your eyes off the animal or anyone leading in front. Maybe the double can be operated this way too although it is difficult to swing one out to the side while reaching for shells off the belt as most do, and I just don't see it happening that way.
I do not like any firearm being snapped shut or the bolt slammed home while I'm in front unless I have complete faith in the hunter that it is always going to be pointing well to the side.
Bolt up with your crook of the hand holding it from opening any further and a fraction of a second to close and shoot, safest operation ever.

Accidents do seem to happen but it is just absolutely poor and amateurish handling of the firearm and no bloody excuse.

ozhunter
.400 member

Reged: 18/08/04
Loc: Sydney, Australia
      #216011 - 03/09/12 08:05 PM

Quote:

You were careless enough to make several simultaneous mistakes: (a) safety off, (b) finger on trigger, (c) muzzle not pointed in a safe direction, and (d) backing up (idiots and cowards always fall down backing away from danger).

(a) Preparing to shoot a charging Buffalo only paces away.
(b) Preparing to shoot a charging Buffalo only paces away.
(c) Preparing to shoot a charging Buffalo only paces away.
(d) Stupid comment, even the likes of Ivan Carter and Ian Gibson "back peddle" to get things lined up.
Note; Even Stu said that he was unaware of the Buffalo and had to shoot it off the end off his rifles barrel, off the hip.

"Accidents do seem to happen but it is just absolutely poor and amateurish handling of the firearm and no bloody excuse".

I hope this happens to none of us as we are all far from perfect.

messmate
.224 member

Reged: 27/07/10
Loc: Great Divide. Victoria. Austra...
      #216031 - 03/09/12 11:38 PM

The Bull was already charging...within metres..I'd hope by then I too would have the bolt locked & the gun coming up. You're talking about only 1 or 2 seconds to react here. In falling though, reflex or instinct should have released the figure from the trigger. I believe that comes with experience & familiarity with firearms.
Such events give us all the horrors... as they should.. but as ozhunter says we are all far from perfect.
Speedy recovery to Stuart Taylor.

Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
Re: Stuart Taylor, Kambako - best wishes after shooting accident [Re: messmate]
      #216035 - 04/09/12 12:25 AM

Bad deal all the way around..certainly hope everyone gets well soon and keeps the infections at bay...

Think as none of us were really there, none of us have an idea of what really happened except those there..not going to get into the armchair quarterback debate..just very very unfortunate...

As you stated...

"I hope this happens to none of us as we are all far from perfect. "

Couldn't agree more...

Ripp

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

500grains
.416 member

#216051 - 04/09/12 08:52 AM

I would not wish to ever hunt with a person so cavalier about firearm safety as yourself.

Oh wait, maybe I would. Are you saying you would not mind if someone shot you?

Quote:

Quote:

You were careless enough to make several simultaneous mistakes: (a) safety off, (b) finger on trigger, (c) muzzle not pointed in a safe direction, and (d) backing up (idiots and cowards always fall down backing away from danger).

(a) Preparing to shoot a charging Buffalo only paces away.
(b) Preparing to shoot a charging Buffalo only paces away.
(c) Preparing to shoot a charging Buffalo only paces away.
(d) Stupid comment, even the likes of Ivan Carter and Ian Gibson "back peddle" to get things lined up.
Note; Even Stu said that he was unaware of the Buffalo and had to shoot it off the end off his rifles barrel, off the hip.

"Accidents do seem to happen but it is just absolutely poor and amateurish handling of the firearm and no bloody excuse".

I hope this happens to none of us as we are all far from perfect.

HuntingSchneider
.333 member

Reged: 02/04/06
Loc: Tamworth, NSW
      #216061 - 04/09/12 12:13 PM

Why has it degenerated into this.

It was a nasty and unfortunate accident.

I feel deeply for both parties concerned and their families. I think something like this would affect all concerned in a way deeper than most of us could realise.
BUT, does it have to turn into a slinging match? For goodness sake, next thing we'll be poking tongues out at each other.

Were we there?..........NO.
Do we have a right to judge?..........NO.
Have we been in the same situation?...........99.99% of us.....NO.(myself included)
Do we know how we would react?..........NO. (Those more arrogant of us seem to believe they do. ??????)

As has already been mentioned, even the Professionals have been seen backstepping. Not cowardice, but positioning.

And before you say it's easy to make statements like this from the saftey of my lounge chair, let me state that I was almost the victim of a stray shot 22 years ago. Actually two stray shots. Same guy, same gun, 10 minutes apart. Felt the blast in my lower back the first time and had burn marks on my shirt the second. A 158gr JHP from a Rossi .357 lever action in the small of my back would have cut short my hunting life.... or life full stop.
I was a lot more forgiving then, than I would be now. Back then was harsh words followed by silent treatment and never another word spoken to. Now would result in jaw broken by butt of rifle stock.

--------------------
Liberals, stealing firearms since '96.
Steal one firearm, you're a thief. Steal a million, you're a Prime Minister.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: Stuart Taylor, Kambako - best wishes after shooting accident [Re: HuntingSchneider]
      #216165 - 05/09/12 08:20 PM

I was interested to eventually read what 'ozhunter' would say when he returned, as he was actually at the camp and would no doubt hear any 'version' of the story, assuming of course there was more than one version, as sometimes happens on the internet. Comments from an independent person in the camp where no doubt the unfortunate accident was discussed much seem to me to carry a lot of weight. Especially from someone who is a personal friend of the PH who was shot.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#216170 - 05/09/12 08:31 PM

Quote:

Oh wait, maybe I would. Are you saying you would not mind if someone shot you?

Un-necessary comment. Adam and Stuart are mates by the way. Bad form IMO.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Edited by NitroX (05/09/12 08:33 PM)

HuntingSchneider
.333 member

Reged: 02/04/06
Loc: Tamworth, NSW
      #216257 - 07/09/12 03:12 AM

I have just read an article on the .505 Gibbs that a member posted a link to.

In this article he was hunting elephant.

This member has been quite outspoken about the accident that has happened here. A bit nasty actually, with some unnecessary comments.

One particular remark was about finger on trigger. This is a photo from the article.

Not trying to stir shit but if a man is going to point fingers, perhaps he should be guilt free.

--------------------
Liberals, stealing firearms since '96.
Steal one firearm, you're a thief. Steal a million, you're a Prime Minister.

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 42 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 17978

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com