Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Bummed out by "Tracks Across Africa with Ivan Carter

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Africa & hunting dangerous game

Pages: 1
Westley375
.300 member

Reged: 18/04/06
Loc: Montana USA
Bummed out by "Tracks Across Africa with Ivan Carter
      #206300 - 01/04/12 09:18 AM

Did any of you guys see the last episode "Tracks Across Africa with Ivan Carter" ? Well this show really bummed me out. Perhaps Iam getting old but the episode shows a Hunter shooting a cow and then hunters and Ph Ivan had to wait several minutes while the others in the herd screamed and tried to lift their dying comrade to its feet. Being sentient beings,perhaps we shouldn't shoot the older cows whos memory on when and where to find food is very important to the herd. Anyone not moved by this clearly must be heartless....it truely was sad. The show should not have shown this....this is just more fodder for the "ANTIS" who run on emotional fuel in the first place. I have hunted Elephant and it is very unlikely I will ever shoot another cow again ...Tusks or no tusks. I've been a hunter all my life and still enjoy it very much so I was surprized how I was affected.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
kamilaroi
.400 member

Reged: 18/12/04
Loc: sydney, new south wales, Austr...
Re: Bummed out by "Tracks Across Africa with Ivan Carter [Re: Westley375]
      #206314 - 01/04/12 06:47 PM

Frankly I agree.

Ben
.400 member

Reged: 22/08/08
Loc: Northern Territory, Australia
Re: Bummed out by "Tracks Across Africa with Ivan Carter [Re: kamilaroi]
      #206316 - 01/04/12 07:11 PM

As much as I do enjoy many hunting videos, I think hunting would be better served if it wasn't displayed on Youtube (different issue but related to the one you raised). It would be much better if were as it used-to be - relegated to (good) magazines and books (there are many poor-quality magazines these days). I am a little hypocritical in my view, because I do enjoy some DVDs that I have in my collection.

gryphon
.450 member

Reged: 01/01/03
Loc: Sambar ground/Victoria/Austral...
Re: Bummed out by "Tracks Across Africa with Ivan Carter [Re: Ben]
      #206317 - 01/04/12 07:42 PM

Bummed out? Did you ever see a doco of whole herd of them shot out of a chopper by some sort of Park`s service mob? It was disgusting to see it unfold as cows were trumpeting their futile protests loudly at the hovering chopper,calves screaming in fear....very very ordinary it was!

--------------------
Get off the chair away from the desk and get out in the bush and enjoy life.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: Bummed out by "Tracks Across Africa with Ivan Carter [Re: gryphon]
      #206368 - 02/04/12 02:44 PM

Quote:

Bummed out? Did you ever see a doco of whole herd of them shot out of a chopper by some sort of Park`s service mob? It was disgusting to see it unfold as cows were trumpeting their futile protests loudly at the hovering chopper,calves screaming in fear....very very ordinary it was!

Which is why in Zimbabwe it is very hard for a foreignor to get access to an elephant herd cull hunt. And even rarer for film or photographs to be taken. Because people just can't cope with it.

But hunting and conservation is not just about grinning heads posing with a 'trophy' beast.

Far more than that tokenism, if elephants are in excess numbers science has shown the best culling method is to take out whole herds. From the youngest to the oldest.

Regarding cow ele hunting, I have done it and will do it again. Last time I pushed only for tuskless cows and was lucky to be able to take tuskless for both I took.

Cow ele hunting is far more exciting than bull hunting (per reports - I have never been able to afford a trophy ele hunt) and part of hunting.

As for filming it, people say it provides ammunition for the antis, probably does. I think educating people is a good thing though especially hunting. Of course animals have "feelings" only people completely divorced from nature wouldn't think that. Animals are animals however and are not human.

Seeing an ele butchered would turn the average metrosexual urbanite off. I as a hunter found it very interesting. The average metrosexual "plastic monkey" urbanite would find a deer being gutted sickening btw.

Showing it on TV? Probably not the best idea, better for hunting DVDs where 99% are hunters only seeing it and hopefully can use their minds to understand what is going on and why.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

gryphon
.450 member

Reged: 01/01/03
Loc: Sambar ground/Victoria/Austral...
Re: Bummed out by "Tracks Across Africa with Ivan Carter [Re: NitroX]
      #206385 - 02/04/12 07:27 PM

As you know john a bit of culling /killing and gutting doesnt worry an old slaughterman like me at all.
The film showed the helplessness of the cows that are genetically programmed to protect their young and mates,it was a slaughter and of course culls are.Agreed,not a good thing for public tv viewing especially with the soft cock metrosexuals out there cobber..the Bob "loves it in the Brown" types.

--------------------
Get off the chair away from the desk and get out in the bush and enjoy life.

JPK
.375 member

Reged: 31/08/04
Loc: Chevy Chase, MD
Re: Bummed out by "Tracks Across Africa with Ivan Carter [Re: gryphon]
      #207539 - 23/04/12 12:24 AM

Regarding hunting elephant cows, and not regarding culls - with which I have no experience, the flip side to elephant cows screaming in protest, maybe anguish, and trying to lift their fallen sister is when they scream in rage and turn to find the hunter. One reason cow hunting is generally more exciting than bull hunting.

BTW, as an aside, cows make a hell of a lot better eating than bulls.

JPK

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 29 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3210

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com