Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: THE ESSENCE OF ELEPHANT HUNTING

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Africa & hunting dangerous game

Pages: 1
Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
THE ESSENCE OF ELEPHANT HUNTING
      #203952 - 28/02/12 03:08 AM

From Safari Press...Safari Press [mai@safaripress.ccsend.com]

Buzz Charlton and Myles McCallum made two videos on elephants in Zimbabwe in the past and we liked them. Still, with so many elephant hunting films on the market today, we tend toward being skeptical as new ones are released. Too many of them are the same old, same old. However, this DVD takes a much different tack from the standard “stalk, shoot, stand and grin by your trophy” approach. The film covers Zimbabwean elephant hunting only, and it clearly shows the difference between elephant hunting in northwestern Zimbabwe in the Wankie Park and Victoria Falls region versus the Zambezi Valley area near Lake Kariba. The difference in terrain, trophies to be expected, tracking, vegetation, and difficulty of the hunting are clearly laid out, and if you intend to hunt elephants in Zimbabwe you would do yourself a great favor by watching this. This is not “an elephant is dead every 10 minutes” movie, and is better for it. Besides a thorough comparison between the two regions, we are shown a number of bull elephant hunts in both. For those who want thrills, one solid section is on cow charges and here we see some of the most in-your-face, nasty elephant cow attacks you will see on any current DVD. Narrator Buzz Charlton points out during these incidents some interesting lessons that we would do well to remember when hunting aggressive elephants: don’t use high magnification scopes; make sure your handloads function in your rifle; and if you shoot an elephant from five yards or less and you only have a bolt action, you will wish for a double! It’s good stuff--highly entertaining and dead serious at the same time, it will keep you on the edge of the couch. Overall we rate it an 8 out of 10. Well recommended.
DVD, running time 2 hours, 15 minutes.
$39.95

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

Edited by Ripp (28/02/12 03:16 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
tophet1
.400 member

Reged: 15/09/07
Loc: NSW, Australia
Re: THE ESSENCE OF ELEPHANT HUNTING [Re: Ripp]
      #203964 - 28/02/12 08:28 AM

Ripp,

I ordered this DVD as soon as it came out. I have no knowledge or experience of Elephant hunting but enjoyed it.

I watched 'The Essence of Elephant Hunting' soon after receiving 'Beasts of Legend' which was technically very good, but seemed to be promoting the DG culture and appeared to be aimed squarely at a 'certain' segment of the Safari Industry. The 'Beasts of Legend' format is well and truely done to death.

Like you, I enjoyed the educational aspects of 'The Essence of Elephant Hunting'. Also the self assesment of lessons learned in the field with a refreshing openess to show errors made. One thing I did learn being recoil shy, I will never buy a .500NE. Man, they go off at both ends.

John

Ripp
.577 member

Re: THE ESSENCE OF ELEPHANT HUNTING [Re: tophet1]
      #203968 - 28/02/12 09:36 AM

Quote:

Ripp,

I One thing I did learn being recoil shy, I will never buy a .500NE. Man, they go off at both ends.

John

John
I am by NO means an expert..however, don't give up on that 500Nitro ..I was fortunate to have the opportunity to shoot quite a few doubles--makes a HUGE difference from gun to gun..shot 500's that were quite comfortable..and one or two that made me not want to ever shoot them again...

Agree with your assessment..great DVD..

Ripp

--------------------

Viking338
.333 member

Reged: 11/08/11
Loc: Queensland Australia
      #203974 - 28/02/12 10:30 AM

My apologies if it is a dumb question, but I can't get the link above to work, did you buy in Australia or from OS? Contact details If possible please

HogPilot
.300 member

Reged: 26/05/09
Loc: Texas
      #203976 - 28/02/12 10:55 AM

Quote:

Ripp,
One thing I did learn being recoil shy, I will never buy a .500NE. Man, they go off at both ends.

John

I've hunted Elephant with Buzz the last 2 years straight and have 2 more Elephant hunts booked with him over the next 18 months. His outfit is top notch.

I've taken 3 Elephant now with the 500NE and find it to be the absolute "Cats Ass". The recoil is stiff but very manageable. The key to being proficient with it is practice. Recoil tolerance is something you develop over time, loose with lack of practice, but regain easily once acquired. Just my opinion, but the 500NE is the best of both worlds being: significantly more energy than the 450 to 470 class weapons, similar weight and recoil.

Here is a link to my tuskless hunt with Charlton McCallum Safaris in June 2011 using the 500NE. This was a father son trip that included tuskless and Leopard. Successful on both! Enjoy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHdaeozClfw

The pictures at the end are of my son and I. I especially like the one with him handing out school supplies to the local kids with elephant meat drying in the background. True hunting conservation at work!

tophet1
.400 member

Reged: 15/09/07
Loc: NSW, Australia
Re: THE ESSENCE OF ELEPHANT HUNTING [Re: HogPilot]
      #203980 - 28/02/12 11:37 AM

Safari Press or the Charlton McCallum website.

https://www.safaripress.com/home.php?cat=302

http://www.cmsafaris.com/

Hogpilot, yes I saw that. So many just turn up and think only of themselves. Well done. My last trip to Zim with my young family (to visit friends) we took Sugar and Cooking Oil for the house staff. They thought we were gods.

I'll have to have a go at a .500NE but they are bit thin on the ground out here on the edge of the outback. I'm flat out fireing 6 rounds from my CZ .416 Rigby whilst standing. I need a good stock maker with a rasp.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
      #203988 - 28/02/12 12:22 PM

Quote:

I'm flat out fireing 6 rounds from my CZ .416 Rigby whilst standing. I need a good stock maker with a rasp.

Off topic for this thread, but no big deal. I can shoot a .577 or .600 without problems. But also limit myself to shooting a .375 at targets in load development to a couple of loads, say 6 to 8 at a time, then a break, before shooting some more.

In competition or hunting it is always a different story.

Make sure you shoot that .500 off hand.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Ripp
.577 member

#203990 - 28/02/12 12:37 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Ripp,
One thing I did learn being recoil shy, I will never buy a .500NE. Man, they go off at both ends.

John

I've taken 3 Elephant now with the 500NE and find it to be the absolute "Cats Ass". The recoil is stiff but very manageable. The key to being proficient with it is practice. Recoil tolerance is something you develop over time, loose with lack of practice, but regain easily once acquired. Just my opinion, but the 500NE is the best of both worlds being: significantly more energy than the 450 to 470 class weapons, similar weight and recoil.

HogPilot

Curious what you have for a 500??--

Agree with you, think that is the ultimate double..have a 470..but would rather have a 500..

Ripp

--------------------

HogPilot
.300 member

#203992 - 28/02/12 12:53 PM

Ripp,

The video was made with my Merkel. I also have a new VC Round Body PH on order in 500NE. I don't plan to get rid of the Merkel at this time. While not a fine English double or Heym, it is accurate, reliable, and hell for strong.

Ripp
.577 member

#203993 - 28/02/12 01:13 PM

Quote:

Ripp,

The video was made with my Merkel. I also have a new VC Round Body PH on order in 500NE. I don't plan to get rid of the Merkel at this time. While not a fine English double or Heym, it is accurate, reliable, and hell for strong.

I have been looking at the Krieghoff's..I know many dont like them for their safety, etc..but I have no problem with them and shot a few and they work for "me"...

personally think Merkel makes a very fine weapon..have a 20 side by side that I love..but the 2 dbles I have tried in .470 beat the hell out of me..currently have a WR in .470..great gun and shoots really well..but again as I stated, have always really wanted a 500..

Ripp

--------------------

HogPilot
.300 member

#203994 - 28/02/12 01:34 PM

Ripp,

I like the K-gun combi/cocking device. I'm not a traditionalist when it comes to doubles. I actually like the 500/416 as well. Rigby performance in a double gun? What's not to like.

The Merkel has a bit of extra drop at the heel which some think makes the perceived recoil more intense. Could be. I've just gotten used to mine. That drop fits my body structure however as I can throw the gun up to the shoulder with eyes closed, open them and be lined up perfectly with the sights, similar to the way a nice SxS shotgun should be.

ozhunter
.400 member

Reged: 18/08/04
Loc: Sydney, Australia
      #204011 - 28/02/12 06:48 PM

Hey Ripp,
Any photos of the WR? Would love to see them. Been looking at a new one due to the strong Aus $ but with all the Add on items is just a tad to much.
Got an Email from Gibbo the other day about Tuskless Ele. No doubt you got it also. Hey he's even got an IPhone! I cant believe it!!
Regards,
Adam

Ripp
.577 member

Re: THE ESSENCE OF ELEPHANT HUNTING [Re: ozhunter]
      #204024 - 29/02/12 01:23 AM

Quote:

Hey Ripp,
Any photos of the WR? Would love to see them. Been looking at a new one due to the strong Aus $ but with all the Add on items is just a tad to much.
Got an Email from Gibbo the other day about Tuskless Ele. No doubt you got it also. Hey he's even got an IPhone! I cant believe it!!
Regards,
Adam

HELLO ADAM

I have a couple that i took when I first got it several years ago..not very good quality..if you want I can take some more when I go home ..

Yes, Ian is actually getting into the "new world" of electonics..

Again apologize for the quality in advance..

Take care

Ripp

These are of the Merkel I had prior to the WR..I didnt take these--actually the place I bought it from sent them to me..

--------------------

Edited by Ripp (29/02/12 01:26 AM)

HogPilot
.300 member

#204029 - 29/02/12 03:03 AM

Ripp,

It appears the Merkel had no recoil pad? Possibly the reason it was tough to shoot? I replaced the pad on mine with a thicker, softer pad than the original which works well. I've seen them without the pad as well, like yours appears to be.

No doubt that WR is a keeper!

Ripp
.577 member

#204033 - 29/02/12 03:19 AM

Quote:

Ripp,

It appears the Merkel had no recoil pad? Possibly the reason it was tough to shoot? I replaced the pad on mine with a thicker, softer pad than the original which works well. I've seen them without the pad as well, like yours appears to be.

No doubt that WR is a keeper!

I sent in for the history on it..it was built in 1910 and picked up at the factory in 1911..
had it sent to a gunsmith in Tennessee for some work and check it out after I got it..the smith called me and said it was one of the best regulated doubles he had ever shot..incredibly accurate..hopefully plan to take it to Zim one day for a tuskless or two or ..if things treat me well..a nice big fat heavily tusked bull..

Yes..agree---the Merkel would have been better with the pad no doublt..what pad did you put on yours???

Thx

Ripp

--------------------

ozhunter
.400 member

Reged: 18/08/04
Loc: Sydney, Australia
      #204098 - 29/02/12 05:38 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Ripp,
hopefully plan to take it to Zim one day for a tuskless or two or ..if things treat me well..a nice big fat heavily tusked bull..

Thx

Ripp

Let me know when. We might catch up.
What length are the Westly's barrels and how much does it weigh?
Cheers.

Mike_Bailey
.400 member

Reged: 26/02/07
Loc: GB
Re: THE ESSENCE OF ELEPHANT HUNTING [Re: ozhunter]
      #204099 - 29/02/12 06:21 PM

Tophet, my .500 seems to recoil less than the O/U double .470 I had but the weight difference is only about 4 oz. I think stock fit is the most important aspect assuming correct weight. I will add that I don´t shoot more than 6 rounds in a go though or I get a headache, best, Mike

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 33 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 4918

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com