Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: End of trophy hunting in Uganda

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Africa & hunting dangerous game

Pages: 1
Kalunga
.333 member

Reged: 16/06/06
Loc: Germany
End of trophy hunting in Uganda
      #172179 - 28/11/10 03:07 AM

Obviously trophy hunting comes to an end in Uganda:

http://blogs.nationalgeographic.com/blogs/news/chiefeditor/2010/11/uganda-ends-sport-hunting.html

Investors in sport hunting in Uganda's game parks have up to January next year to stop shooting wild animals for fun, The Uganda news site The New Vision reported recently.

According to The New Vision: "This follows a resolution from the Uganda Wildlife Authority (UWA) to cancel hunting concessions offered years ago to the wildlife reserves.'We are concerned about the dwindling numbers of wild animals in the wildlife reserves. Hunting is prohibited,' said Mark Kamanzi, the acting director of UWA."

Kamanzi was reported as saying that the share of benefits of sport hunting were lopsided and unlikely to deter poaching or improve UWA¹s capacity to manage the wildlife reserves.

Wildlife managers had argued that the only way to save wildlife in Uganda was to use it to attract the private sector to invest in the management of wildlife reserves, The New Vision explained.

Read the full story on The New Vision website.

Nat Geo News Watch spoke to Dereck Joubert, a veteran wildlife filmmaker based in Africa who has been warning for years that hunting could be devastating the continent's remaining herds of wild animals and especially their predators.

Dereck Joubert and his wife Beverly Joubert are National Geographic Explorers-in-Residence and founders of the National Geographic Big Cats Initiative, a program designed to restore and conserve Africa's last wild lions, cheetahs, and leopards.

Dereck Joubert interviewed by David Braun

Uganda has re-imposed a ban on hunting, reportedly citing the failure of hunting concessions to halt dwindling of populations of wild animals in preserves. You have long been opposed to hunting as a means of conservation. What is the argument against controlled hunting as a means to give economic value to wildlife conservation?

I have been against unethical hunting, not so much hunting itself, for many years. Sadly that has become one and the same recently.

I have been against hunting of declining species. We have endured 50 years or more of conservation by the gun in many parts of Africa and the one lesson we can take away is that it does not work.

With lions now teetering on the edge at around 20,000 animals, clearly the old ways have to change. Trophy hunting of the iconic animals really knocks back the genetic best of those populations as they decline and the selection process gets more refined and there is more targeting at the few decent specimens we have left.

Imagine for a moment that not long ago we could hunt tigers! Today we have only about 2,500 left! Lions, leopards, jaguars are all heading towards the tiger numbers fast.

Very little actual revenue from hunting makes it back to Africa in reality, and while the paper "rules of engagement" seem clear, there are many, many examples of blatant disregard not only for these gentlemanly rules, but laws of the country being broken.

So the drain on many regions, the risk to predator populations, to the corruption that some hunting generates, and the depletion of key populations far outweigh the conservation, moral or economic benefits today.

The one rule that hunting fraternities live by, that of "fair chase," is a vestige of an era when the plains were black with animals and the luxury of making a sport out of killing things was okay, (well semi okay...I don't think anyone today thinks it's the test of a real man, or a polite thing to do.)

I believe that hunting will one day be relegated to the category of awful things we did as humans, alongside apartheid and the Holocaust, just in an animal context.

Has the failure of the economic theory of hunting in support of conservation in Uganda been paralleled in other parts of Africa?

Hunting has been banned in many places largely not for being uneconomical but mostly because of the negative impact it has on animals. And here we should be clear. Statistically it seems okay to siphon off some wildebeest in a migration of over a million. It may even seem to be reasonable to pick off or harvest other prey animals that are resident, but it gets very difficult to justify taking out, and specifically targeting the top predators that should roughly equal 10 percent of the mammals in a balanced system, but very quickly collapse under this kind of pressure.

Even selective hunting by a rather unnatural set of qualifying filters (such as size and fitness) is exactly the opposite of the natural selection that one sees going on in the wild. We don't see lions circling a herd to find the fittest, largest bull buffalo while there are injured and weak nearby.

The investment by nature in those fit, large males is disproportionately great in that they are the ones that have worked their way through life to breed, and they should be the ones to breed more strong breeders that will lead and carry the herds, prides and populations into the next generation and next era.

But we take an enormous amount of time, spend a lot of money, and effort, finding and killing those perfect animals! It's like burning the best antiques of our collection to keep the house warm.

Kenya banned hunting in 1977 for that reason. Many critics of this decision point to the fact that there are now fewer lions than in 1977. Well, there are also ten times as many humans, and that has a lot to do with the decline of lion numbers.

Are African governments becoming more aware that hunting might not be what it is cracked up to be in terms of generating revenue AND protecting their wildlife heritage?

Very definitely, and the Botswana model of low-impact, high-cost tourism has turned the economic reality of its wild places around completely.

As these wild resources on the planet shrink, we will all be looking at them as a shared and precious commodity and with a universal responsibility to protect the last of them.

In the next 50 years or so, we can expect wars to be fought over game reserves and natural resources other than gold or silver, or even water, because each lion will be a gem, each acre of untouched land will be worth more than the gold underneath it. Imagine the value of the last pride of lions!

I think also that as the world's communication leaps to more efficient levels, a sentiment felt in New York is transmitted instantly to the capital of Botswana, that influences leaders and drives policy changes. There is less room for misunderstanding. If the world sentiment is that hunting is no longer socially acceptable then governments in the remotest places hear that argument and can weigh it up with all the information.

What economic models have worked to support the protection of wildlife and sanctuaries? Are there any outstanding examples of success?

Well I am biased, but the Botswana eco-tourism model is the best I know of in Africa. It is rapidly being recognized as such and we are seeing efforts to replicate it in Tanzania, and Kenya, Rwanda and Uganda. There are low-density lodges starting in Mozambique, Zambia and Zimbabwe, and South Africa has long had this.

What do you say to the statement by hunting concerns that they manage wildlife areas and keep poaching under control?

Huh? I don't understand the question! You are suggesting that hunting has anything at all to do with curtailing poaching? That is what the propaganda magazines will have you believe. Here is the way it really is: Hunting concessions allow hunting for five months a year in most countries. That means for seven months there is no one in residence. So seven months of poaching--un-manned, un-policed, the Wild West!

And, in areas where there are five months of hunting, anyone patrolling (99 percent of the time not hunters) who hears gunshots assumes it is hunting, while in fact it is poaching.

So the barrage of wild gunfire in hunting areas, and trust me there is a lot of gunfire going on, from target practice to multiple guns shooting at animals, sometimes from cars (80 percent of animals shot on safari--according to one source, Dr. Ian Parker in 2005--are shot illegally, from cars, at night on baits, and so on) is all a perfect smoke screen for poachers.

Poachers shy away from eco-tourism areas in general because it is constantly silent. When they fire a gun there are vehicles and planes on to them. Hunting and poaching go hand-in-hand, not in opposition.

Poaching gets reduced by creating wealth and health among rural communities so they can join a real world economy and not have to rely on bush meat to live.

Hunting, as we have seen, leaves most of its revenue outside of Africa, so that doesn't help much. Eco-tourism creates 12 times as many jobs in most cases, has a real skills-transfer process, and eases people into that real economy.

Many business sectors do this, of course, but eco-tourism does it on the canvas of conservation, so not only does it feed the system with educated and trained people, but those people go out into the business world converted to conservation by default.

Poverty is linked to lack of education and lack of conservation ethic. If we want to fix wildlife, and stop poaching, it won't be done with hunting. We tried that for 50 years, at least.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
grandveneur
.400 member

Reged: 21/09/08
Loc: France / Germany
Re: End of trophy hunting in Uganda *DELETED* [Re: Kalunga]
      #172181 - 28/11/10 03:17 AM

Post deleted by grandveneur

Edited by grandveneur (28/11/10 03:18 AM)

rscott
.333 member

Reged: 21/03/08
Loc: wyo., USA
Re: End of trophy hunting in Uganda [Re: grandveneur]
      #172186 - 28/11/10 04:18 AM

while i think some valid points are made concerning corruption,etc., this is the comment the really stuck in my mind:
"I think also that as the world's communication leaps to more efficient levels, a sentiment felt in New York is transmitted instantly to the capital of Botswana, that influences leaders and drives policy changes."
this mentality has had very negative impacts on management of federal lands in the western US, at least as far as those of us that live here are concerned.

9.3x57
.450 member

Reged: 22/04/07
Loc: United States
Re: End of trophy hunting in Uganda [Re: rscott]
      #172188 - 28/11/10 04:23 AM

Quote:

this mentality has had very negative impacts on management of federal lands in the western US, at least as far as those of us that live here are concerned.

WOW. YOU NAILED THIS RIGHT ON THE HEAD.

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

gryphon
.450 member

Reged: 01/01/03
Loc: Sambar ground/Victoria/Austral...
Re: End of trophy hunting in Uganda [Re: 9.3x57]
      #172191 - 28/11/10 05:48 AM

What about this line,the author is a joke!

"I believe that hunting will one day be relegated to the category of awful things we did as humans, alongside apartheid and the Holocaust, just in an animal context."

rscott
.333 member

Reged: 21/03/08
Loc: wyo., USA
Re: End of trophy hunting in Uganda [Re: gryphon]
      #172193 - 28/11/10 06:05 AM

Quote:

What about this line,the author is a joke!

"I believe that hunting will one day be relegated to the category of awful things we did as humans, alongside apartheid and the Holocaust, just in an animal context."

so ridiculous i didn't think it merited comment!

Ben
.400 member

Reged: 22/08/08
Loc: Northern Territory, Australia
Re: End of trophy hunting in Uganda [Re: rscott]
      #172200 - 28/11/10 08:48 AM

A most unpleasant ramble.

Kalunga
.333 member

Reged: 16/06/06
Loc: Germany
Re: End of trophy hunting in Uganda [Re: Ben]
      #172202 - 28/11/10 08:52 AM

For me the sad thing is that a lot of what went wrong is blamed on us hunters. The corrupt politicians and business men are never guilty it seems. Too bad we cannot shoot them !

Kalunga

Ben
.400 member

Re: End of trophy hunting in Uganda [Re: Kalunga]
      #172209 - 28/11/10 09:45 AM

He conveniently made no mention of the vital need for herd management, or of the success in bringing wild animals back to the farmland of South Africa because of the appeal of the hunters' dollars. He also glossed-over the Kenya debacle, electing not to talk about ivory and politicians and their families there.

Paul
.400 member

Reged: 28/08/07
Loc: Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
      #172234 - 28/11/10 10:13 PM

Without going right into this particular report, I was sent a similar one by a safari company recently.

I forwarded it to Shakari, who is involved in the Uganda hunting scene, and he said it was crap. The real story, I think he said, was to do with personalities. I'm surprised he has not weighed in on this already - maybe he's out in the bush.

- Paul

Paul
.400 member

Reged: 28/08/07
Loc: Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Re: End of trophy hunting in Uganda [Re: Paul]
      #172238 - 28/11/10 11:37 PM

I've caught up with Steve and he sent me the following in an email:

"As I said to you in a previous message, what's happened is that some of the staff tried to oust the GD ctte whilst the Minister was away electioneering and he returned, bought a high court case against them and had them kicked out.

I'm not 100% sure but I believe the old GD ctte have now been re-appointed.... Certainly there must be a new ctte of some kind because they are holding a meeting with other interested parties early next week to announce the 2011 quotas.

Cheers for now

S"

- Paul

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: End of trophy hunting in Uganda [Re: Paul]
      #172244 - 29/11/10 01:31 AM

Lots of waffle in the news article especially from antis.

I believe hunting is continuing in Uganda and the news reports being put out are erroneous.

I put up the original news story on the 21st of November here:

Uganda Wildlife Authority in shambles

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Edited by NitroX (29/11/10 01:34 AM)

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: End of trophy hunting in Uganda [Re: NitroX]
      #172245 - 29/11/10 01:35 AM

Wildlife Authority Needs Leadership

17 November 2010
The Observer (Kampala)

editorial

The Uganda Wildlife Authority is now technically without a board of directors and probably top management after court ruled that they were appointed irregularly.

Justice Yorokamu Bamwine declared recently that some of the current members of the board were unqualified, including its Chairman, Dr Boysier Oumar Muballe. He ordered for the dissolution of the board and the minister responsible to appoint a new one in accordance with the law.

One of the last bold acts of the now disbanded board was to fire the Executive Director, Moses Mapesa and two other senior staff, Andrew Koluo and Apophia Atukunda early this year.

The board then appointed a new executive director, whose authority now hangs in balance in light of the court decision. Meanwhile, the suspended officials challenged their dismissal in court, which has now ruled in their favour.

The petitioners successfully argued that the new board was needlessly interfering in the running of the public enterprise. It appears that the minister responsible and his handpicked board were so eager to remove the managers that private auditors were assigned to investigate the body and a report was promptly issued, raising allegations of impropriety.

But Parliament rejected this report, saying it was malicious and not cleared by the Auditor General. The report was also accused of not according its subjects the right of reply. To the minister and his UWA board, the end could justify the means. But no, in the interest of justice even the means must be justified.

In an editorial in August, we cautioned that while it was in order for those in charge to make changes where they deem fit, there was no justification to ignore the law or skip procedure, as was obviously the case in respect of suspected Mr Mapesa. If indeed he and his colleagues are guilty of the allegations made against them, the law should take its course.

Wildlife is a very sensitive sector, which is at the centre of Uganda's tourism boom and so it shouldn't be left in a vacuum for long. A lot can go wrong, including poaching, misappropriation of revenue and encroachment. Those responsible should, therefore, fill this vacuum as soon as possible.

An earlier news report of an example of the shambles. Reported this news article is not official or correct. Comments?

Uganda: Wildlife Body Suspends Sport Hunting

Gerald Tenywa

7 November 2010

Kampala — INVESTORS in sport hunting in Uganda's game parks have up to January next year to stop shooting wild animals for fun.

This follows a resolution from the Uganda Wildlife Authority (UWA) to cancel hunting concessions offered years ago to the wildlife reserves.

"We are concerned about the dwindling numbers of wild animals in the wildlife reserves. Hunting is prohibited," said Mark Kamanzi, the acting director of UWA.

"Instead of allowing animals to breed through game farming, the hunters were being offered hunting quotas (allocated areas)," said Kamanzi.

Other sources said the board agreed to cancel the hunting concessions in a recent meeting following concerns that animal populations in wildlife reserves were low and that concessionaires were shooting them down.

Animals offered for sport hunting include buffalos, bushbuck, bush pigs, warthogs, duikers, elands, impalas and oribis. Others are reedbucks, kobs, topis, waterbuck, leopards, hippopotamus and zebras.

Kamanzi said the decision would not affect private wildlife ranchers outside Lake Mburo National Park in western Uganda and parts of Luweero, Nakasongola and Nakaseke districts in central Uganda.

He, however, stressed that concessions offered in wildlife reserves such as Kabwoya in Hoima district, wildlife reserves in West Nile and parts of Karamoja region would be affected.

Asked how they would deal with the legal implications of their actions, Kamanzi said they were holding discussions with the investors, but most of the concessionaires had not invested heavily and that they would be compensated.

Assessing sport hunting, Kamanzi said UWA offered concessions of 20 years without regulations on hunting and monitoring mechanisms.

He added that the share of benefits were lopsided and unlikely to deter poaching or improve UWA's capacity to manage the wildlife reserves.

Uganda imposed a ban on hunting two decades ago, but re-introduced sport hunting amid protests from conservationists.

The wildlife managers, on the other hand, argued that the only way to save wildlife was to use it to attract the private sector to invest in the management of wildlife reserves.

They set up Lake Mburo National Park and Kabwoya as models.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Ben
.400 member

#172277 - 29/11/10 08:04 AM

I am glad to hear the story is likely incorrect, then.

ozhunter
.400 member

Reged: 18/08/04
Loc: Sydney, Australia
      #172320 - 29/11/10 06:25 PM

Quote:

Might find out next season as I missed out this year.

shakari
.400 member

Reged: 09/02/03
Loc: South Africa
Re: End of trophy hunting in Uganda [Re: ozhunter]
      #172327 - 29/11/10 10:06 PM

Sorry I got to the party late.

I’m sometimes a bit reluctant to post info here because I’m concerned my comments might be interpreted as commercial, which they’re not intended to be but I’ll try to clear up some of the confusion and hope I don’t say the wrong thing.........I’ll also hope my server talks to the Aussie servers for long enough to post this. Often they don’t.

The problem with the press is that many/most journalists often don’t know much about the subject they’re writing about and the speed of the internet means other media suffer the same problem and before you know it, that lack of knowledge can race around the world and possibly do immense damage. In this case, it could easily destroy an entire fragile and emerging hunting industry.

I’m not a leaseholder up there and nor would I ever want to be one but I have been involved in a variety of other ways (mostly advisory) for several years. I’ve met all of the leaseholders and most of the top end of the game dept staff and because of that, I was offered and took the opportunity to operate up there.

I was in the country when the so called suspension letter was issued (and fairly quickly withdrawn) and was hunting with the approval and permission of the game dept a day or two after the letter was issued etc. Consequently I was probably one of the few well informed westerners on the ground at the time.

This issue embarrassed a number of high ranking people who don’t appreciate that kind of thing and as you can imagine wanted to correct the situation asap.

Uganda hunting does have it’s minor(ish) problems (As does most other African countries) and will never be as big as Tanzania simply because of the quotas and species distributions/populations etc but it could be a very good hard currency earner for the country, could be of immense benefit to both the game animals and peoples of Uganda and it does offer the wildest of wild African hunting for adventurous hunters.

The sport hunting template they have up there is also the most responsible and conservation minded one I’ve ever seen (by far) in over 30 years of being involved in the hunting industry and certainly all of the game dept staff I’ve ever met up there are very knowledgeable and keen for sport hunting to succeed.

I do however feel that we need to treat such a new and emerging industry with a great deal of care and hope that the media will check their facts before they publish.
Let’s face it guys, African countries do stuff up occasionally and it’s all part of life. Tanzania suspended lion hunting without warning a few years ago and then reintroduced it after a few days. This was a similar thing and (IMO) not much more.

TAB as they say. – That’s Africa Bwana.

Hope that’s cleared up the confusion and if anyone feels the need to know what’s truly going on, they can always contact me to ask. I’d suggest email rather than PM because my server often forgets to tell me about or deliver PMs.

Here’s a much more responsible and accurate piece of reporting:

http://www.monitor.co.ug/News/...clq0n7z/-/index.html

Mapesa beats Otafiire in legal battle over UWA

By Ismail Musa Ladu & Alfred Nyongesa Wandera (email the author)

Posted Monday, November 8 2010 at 00:00

Kampala

The High Court has ruled that the current board of the Uganda Wildlife Authority was irregularly appointed and must be disbanded. In a ruling on Friday, Justice Yorokamu Bamwine said Trade Minister Kahinda Otafiire had appointed unqualified members to the board, including its chairman, Dr Boysier Oumar Muballe.

The ruling follows a petition by Mr Moses Mapesa, the sacked UWA chief together with his senior colleagues– Andrew Koluo and Apophia Atukunda, who accused the minister and the board of maliciously kicking them out.

The petitioners argued that the board meddled in the running of UWA and witch-hunted staff who opposed the board chairman’s poor management style.
They told the court that Dr Muballe and four other members of the board, including Masokoyi Wasswa and Jacob Oulanyah were unqualified to sit on UWA board and were mismanaging the wildlife body. Justice Bamwine ordered Gen. Otafiire to appoint the UWA board of trustees in accordance with the qualifications set out in the relevant legislation.

Board dissolved
The court also dissolved the Dr Muballe-led board and restrained them with immediate effect from acting in their current capacities. Justice Bamwine further ruled that Mr Mapesa and Ms Atukunda’s contracts were unlawfully terminated and awarded Ms Atukunda Shs30 million in damages for the dismissal.

However, the judge ruled that he could not grant Mr Mapesa all his unpaid emoluments for the five-year contract on the grounds that he had no valid contract that was terminated. But the judge added that he left the matter to the new properly constituted board to review Mr Mapesa’s credentials and decide whether or not to re-appoint him. Court ordered that the applicants’ costs be met by UWA.

Earlier, Parliament had also rejected Gen. Otafiire’s request to have them discuss a report on a forensic audit into UWA. The MPs described the report by Ernest and Young as “rubbish” and only aimed at justifying the minister’s irregular appointment of the UWA board which has plunged the hitherto progressive wildlife body into unprecedented management crisis.

The report inaugurated by Gen. Otafiire implicates Mapesa and some of his senior management team of corruption and mismanagement at UWA. But the MPs said the report was malicious and largely aimed at ensnaring Mr Mapesa.

The lawmakers also said the report is not binding because it was not sanctioned by the Auditor General and that it did not give hearing to the accused.

While sacking Mr Mapesa, Gen. Otafiire said he had failed to alert the authorities about the existence of rebels in Bwindi and Semliki parks in western Uganda. But MP John Emily Otekat defended Mr Mapesa saying: “Some people in the board working together with senior people in the ministry fired Mr Mapesa because they want to dip their hands into the money that is available at UWA.”

--------------------
Steve "Shakari" Robinson
Kuduland Safaris (Africa) Ltd
info@kuduland.com
www.kuduland.com

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: End of trophy hunting in Uganda [Re: shakari]
      #172338 - 30/11/10 02:41 AM

Quote:

I’m sometimes a bit reluctant to post info here because I’m concerned my comments might be interpreted as commercial,

Steve,

It depends on whether you just post the usual

"click on this link to my website and read it all over there."

NE is pretty understanding and let commercial business do a lot, but "poaching" traffic is not one of them.

Thanks for posting some info on these forums.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#172339 - 30/11/10 02:45 AM

Quote:

Ben

We actually have one of the five licensed outfitters in Uganda as a member on NE, and he has said to me, off the public forums, that hunting is definitely not banned in Uganda.

He hasn't commented on this thread however.

Hopefully he will be able to pass on any news, press releases etc when they are available.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

shakari
.400 member

Reged: 09/02/03
Loc: South Africa
      #172341 - 30/11/10 03:11 AM

John,

The reason I can't do it any other way than post a link is that building the original site took a year and we've just spent another year revamping the site and we very quickly learned that we had to disable the right click function on everything to stop data and image thieves stealing our work and claiming it as their own.

Prior to that, we had multiple data/image thefts, one or two of which we're still fighting..... You'll also notice I've stopped posting images on forums for the same reason. On the odd occasion I do, I plaster our site address across it for the same reason.

With the images, the ones to blame are Google images, because their spiders crawl all the sites and add the images to their gallery where any bugger is free to steal them anytime they like.

It isn't that I'm trying to divert traffic it's that (to the best of my knowledge, there's no other way to do it......

As I've said to you before, I fully understand why you don't want links posted and you'll notice I try to just give a brief explanation but the only way I can post the full info is by a link. No other way works.

Even if I take a screen shot, change it to a jpeg and post as an image, it'll only do a fraction of the page because a screenshot only takes a pic of what can be seen on the screen at any one time.

I am open to suggestions though either by PM, email or here.

--------------------
Steve "Shakari" Robinson
Kuduland Safaris (Africa) Ltd
info@kuduland.com
www.kuduland.com

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 41 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 5774

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com