Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Experience with "creapy-crawlies"

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Africa & hunting dangerous game

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
DPhillips
.375 member

Reged: 09/10/03
Loc: Alaska
Re: Experience with "creapy-crawlies" [Re: mikeh416Rigby]
      #12972 - 03/04/04 11:10 AM

What was the trophy fee?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
mikeh416Rigby
.450 member

Reged: 24/02/03
Loc: The beautiful Oley Valley, PA....
Re: Experience with "creapy-crawlies" [Re: DPhillips]
      #12973 - 03/04/04 11:29 AM

Ha! Ha! If you only knew how much I hate those suckers! I must have watched too many horror movies when I was a kid .

Then to top things off, that night while lying in bed filling out my journal of the days events, I found my bed covered in wasps or hornets (I don't know the difference between them). They were dropping down from the thatch ceiling/roof. These guys were huge-2 to 3 inches long, black and yellow in color. Oh, did I mention I'm alergic to bee stings ? I never knew that this middle aged, fat man could move so fast. Turns out that there was a nest of them between the bricks, and the thatching of the roof, and the unseasonal warm weather we were experiencing must have stirred them up, and my light was attracting them. Fortunately they were rather docile, and non agressive. I grabbed a spare pillow and blanket and went to the lounge to sleep. The next morning when the staff came in, of course they had no idea I was in there, and our female cook let out a scream that could have waked the dead .

Gibbs505
.333 member

Reged: 09/08/03
Loc: BC, Canada
      #12990 - 04/04/04 01:47 AM

mikeh416Rigby, there is NO such thing as a harmless spider in my opinion!!

Getting the shivers just thinking about them that large!!

--------------------
So I can't spell, so what?

Those who beat their swords into ploughshares, will plough for those who don't!

Those who fail to learn from history will be doomed to repeat it

mikeh416Rigby
.450 member

Re: Experience with "creapy-crawlies" [Re: Gibbs505]
      #12993 - 04/04/04 02:50 AM

Here's another spider incident for your reading pleasure: When my wife and I were first married almost 29 years ago we lived in a small apartment in an old stone home. The heat was provided by the huge, old fashioned water filled radiators. The only thermostat for the home was in the apartment of a lovely, little old lady who apparently, could never get warm, so while Joan & I were at home, we usually had to open the windows a bit so as not to get overheated.

Our 1st Christmas in the apartment, my wife and I bought a beautiful live tree a week before the holiday, and went all out decorating it. Between Christmas and New Years we visited her parents for 3 days, and upon our return, we were greeted by our formerly beautiful tree standing there with not one needle left on it. Mrs. Hoffman had really cranked up the heat while we were gone, and it got so warm that the tree dried out and dropped all its needles in only 3 days. We were heart broken, and decided that we'd never get a live tree again.

Well, a little over 3 years ago, we built our dream home out in the country, and decided to get a live tree for the 1st time in 25 years. Friends of ours have a tree farm and picked out a very nice one for us. We dutifully brought it home, decorated it, and it looked great.

A few days later, I was laying on the sofa, and looked up at the ceiling where I saw little black spots. Closer investigation showed the spots were actually 100s of baby spiders. Apparantly, there was a nest in the tree, and the warmth of the house caused them to hatch out. I don't know what kind they were. It doesn't matter. They were spiders . Did I mention that Joan hates spiders more than I do (if that's possible)? For the next week or two, I had to get out the shop vac several times a day and suck the litter creepers up.(Hint-don't just vacuum them up, put a few moth balls in the canister. This kills them). Guess who doesn't get a live Christmas tree any more? Did I mention I hate spiders?

mickey
.416 member

Reged: 05/01/03
Loc: Pend Oreille Valley, Idaho
      #13039 - 05/04/04 11:31 AM

One night while staying in a hut at Kariba one of those huge thatch spiders walked across the room. My friend, who is terrified of spiders, threw his boot at it. The spider caught the boot and threw it back so it was decided to leave it alone.

After the lights were put out I spent an enjoyable hour scratching my fingers on the floor and throwing wadded up paper balls at my friend's bed.

--------------------
Lovu Zdar
Mick

A Man of Pleasure, Enterprise, Wit and Spirit Rare Books, Big Game Hunting, English Rifles, Fishing, Explosives, Chauvinism, Insensitivity, Public Drunkenness and Sloth, Champion of Lost and Unpopular Causes.

mikeh416Rigby
.450 member

Re: Experience with "creapy-crawlies" [Re: mickey]
      #13044 - 05/04/04 11:45 AM

Now that's just plain mean!

475Guy
.400 member

Reged: 22/08/03
Loc: Kali, US
      #13047 - 05/04/04 11:52 AM

Mick, I'd have shot the damn thing right after it threw my boot back at me.

--------------------
Lo do they call to me,
They bid me take my place among
them in the Halls of Valhalla,
Where the brave may live forever.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
      #13048 - 05/04/04 12:06 PM

In reply to:

The next morning when the staff came in, of course they had no idea I was in there, and our female cook let out a scream that could have waked the dead

Mike, you must cover yourself when you sleep naked.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

mikeh416Rigby
.450 member

Re: Experience with "creapy-crawlies" [Re: NitroX]
      #13050 - 05/04/04 12:22 PM

Sorry buddy, but for me it's commando all the way!

shakari
.400 member

Reged: 09/02/03
Loc: South Africa
      #13053 - 05/04/04 02:29 PM

Not quite an insect story, but........

One of the camps I use is run by a HUGE Zulu Lady (and I mean Lady) with a HUGE sense of humour, and we are great friends and for years have been playing jokes on each other......on the hunt before last, she managed to shut me in the cool room when I went in to get some cold beers. Now this really appealed to the Zulu sense of humour....esp as the trick was played on a white man.

Knowing she's a bit paranoid about snakes I waited until the next hunt and called her into the lounge telling her to bring me an asagaii as we had a big mfezi (spitting cobra) hiding somewhere........ I got her to start looking behind the furniture whilst I checked out the kitchen......then I shot round to the other door, sneaked up behind her and dropped a bloody great rubber snake round her neck ........man, she nearly went through the roof!!

--------------------
Steve "Shakari" Robinson
Kuduland Safaris (Africa) Ltd
info@kuduland.com
www.kuduland.com

bwanamrm
.224 member

Reged: 24/07/03
Loc: Texas, USA
Re: Experience with "creapy-crawlies" [Re: shakari]
      #13567 - 16/04/04 01:04 PM

And speaking of snakes..........
This past November I was in Masailand, Tanzania for a 10 day buff hunt with Ridge and Cash Taylor. We had been hunting buff on the Lobo concession and it was hot by the middle of the day so we saw a few snakes. One day late in the hunt we were skirting some buff, trying to get ahead of them to look the herd over for bulls. The bush was thick close to the river and we would move up and look at a few buff then sweep 'em again.
We eased up to a spot with a nice opening about 40 to 50 yards away. We had an acacia on one side and a fig tree on the other for cover. We were intent on looking the buff over and they just began to feed into the opening when our tracker looked up in the fig tree and hissed at us, his eyes as big as saucers. Up in this tree about ten yards from us is a BIG black mamba. We are watching buff with one eye and snake with the other. Probably looked like those damn chameleons in Madagascar!
Well, Lelia can't leave well enough alone and draws his simi (Masai short sword). He whispers to Cash he is gonna piga the mamba with his panga! Translated...throw his panga at the snake!!!!!! so we can watch the buff without having to worry about the snake. We wanted to get the heck away from there but....we also knew Lelia was a hell of a bushman and if he threw his simi at the mamba and cut it in half we would have missed something special. So Lelia rears back and lets fly..only to have his simi deflected and shoot off in the air! That mamba came down the tree faster than you can read this. And it headed right for us. We looked like the damn three stooges trying to get out of there. We screamed and ran into each other, falling down, getting up again...a literal Chinese fire drill. The mamba glides right by us and into a warthog hole! We all stand there grinning and laughing like the criminally insane while the buffalo herd thundered off. We later named that little episode "the mamba mambo".

--------------------
"I do not believe there are many more impressive sights than a city man's first glimpse at a live maned lion loose on a plain in strange country."
-Robert Ruark

475Guy
.400 member

Re: Experience with "creapy-crawlies" [Re: bwanamrm]
      #13570 - 16/04/04 01:13 PM

ROTFLMAO! Which one of you was MOE?

--------------------
Lo do they call to me,

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
      #13573 - 16/04/04 01:45 PM

Snakes do that to rational people.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

bwanamrm
.224 member

Reged: 24/07/03
Loc: Texas, USA
Re: Experience with "creapy-crawlies" [Re: 475Guy]
      #13637 - 17/04/04 11:18 PM

475Guy,
I don't know which of us was Moe, but only one of us could have been "Stymie" from the Little Rascals.

--------------------
"I do not believe there are many more impressive sights than a city man's first glimpse at a live maned lion loose on a plain in strange country."
-Robert Ruark

475Guy
.400 member

#13639 - 18/04/04 12:51 AM

Damn, I guess I'm old enough to remember Da Widdle Wascals in B&W on a round 15" screen RCA. That's a loooong time ago.

--------------------
Lo do they call to me,

Rustbucket
.224 member

Reged: 25/04/04
Re: Experience with "creapy-crawlies" [Re: 475Guy]
      #14152 - 30/04/04 12:34 PM

I'm new to this forum, and never been to Africa yet. I do like to hunt and fish, out in CA, hunting is more like gleaning. However I have read a fair amount and some of it was about the creepy crawlies.

Africa has very large tarantulas (ground spiders), called Baboon or Imperial Baboon Spiders (they are approximately 8" across) who are very aggressive. They probably live in Savanah, jungle, and/or desert areas.

Another critter in the desert is the camel spider (not really a spider) that moves very fast and has been known to chew up people when they sleep. I read one article about someone who had 1/2 their nose eaten off when they were sleeping. http://www.snopes.com/photos/bugs/camelspider.asp#photo

You all know about scorpions, but the centipedes are also really nasty and have a noxious poision that can swell your leg or arm like a sausage with it's bite. They get to be around a foot long, and are very aggressive. I saw several similar centipedes in the Carribean, the West Indians got very animated and usually scattered when they saw these critters (not as dangerous as a Cape Buffalo, but they were bright red, and the sight of that nasty critter unnerved them).

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 52 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 7778

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com