Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Need more advice - taxidermy

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Africa & hunting dangerous game

Pages: 1
MKresinske
.275 member

Reged: 23/02/08
Loc: NY, USA
Need more advice - taxidermy
      #122753 - 01/01/09 03:38 AM

Since this is my first trip to Africa and I have no idea what I am doing , I am 100% dependant on the expertise of the people of this forum that have experience with Africa.

Anyway - should I have my taxidermy done in Africa or have the hide and horns shipped back to the US and have a qualified taxidermist handle the mounts here. I am sure there are merits to both. Here is what I am thinking. If I have the hide and heads shipped back, I can have each animal mounted as I can afford it. I am sure that the PH will be able to give me advice, but I want to see what a larger sample of people have to say.

As usual, any advice is greatly apprciated.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
Re: Need more advice - taxidermy [Re: MKresinske]
      #122754 - 01/01/09 03:54 AM

Do what you wish..but this is my take ---I would ship to the US...and have it done here..I have done on 4 safaris...and like the results...and have had over 50 african mounts done so far..

In my opinion, you don't have to worry about damage to them in shipping back--and I like the work over here better..but again, that is just me..

Ripp

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

xausa
.400 member

Reged: 07/03/07
Loc: Tennessee, USA
Re: Need more advice - taxidermy [Re: Ripp]
      #122760 - 01/01/09 05:22 AM

Amen to that! Completed mounts are far more delicate and take up much more room than hides and skulls. The shipping costs for mounted heads, not to mention full body mounts, would be all out of proportion to any saving you might realize in the cost of preparation.

The only exception to this rule is hides you plan to use as rugs, throw rugs, etc. They can be processed on the spot, probably for a good deal less than an American outfit would charge, and cost no more to ship than the unprocessed hides.

If you plan to use European type mounts, with just the top of the skull and the horns mounted on a plaque, then that might be worth considering having done on the spot. They are far less bulky and generally less subject to breakage than conventional American head and shoulder mounts.

ExpressYourself
.224 member

Reged: 10/06/08
Loc: CA/USA
      #122764 - 01/01/09 05:44 AM

I would also recommend having your mounts completed here at home. In my case, I feel the quality work completed by my local taxidermist is well worth the increased mounting cost and (as already pointed out) when shipping is considered and posssible damage repair actual savings are really questionable.

Your other point of completing your mounts at your own pace as funds allow is also a valid consideration. I have kept salted skins well wrapped in heavy plastic, duct taped and frozen for six years that I later had mounted with no ill effects. I am told that 10 years of storage in this manner is not unusual.

Edited by ExpressYourself (01/01/09 05:50 AM)

shakari
.400 member

Reged: 09/02/03
Loc: South Africa
Re: Need more advice - taxidermy [Re: ExpressYourself]
      #122771 - 01/01/09 07:18 AM

Total costs are usually about 20% less if you have it done in Africa, but frankly, the 20% difference is irrelevant when compared to the time you have to look at your trophies. Quality and realism are considerably more important than the potential savings.

deleted

--------------------
Steve "Shakari" Robinson
Kuduland Safaris (Africa) Ltd
info@kuduland.com
www.kuduland.com

Edited by NitroX (15/01/09 05:33 PM)

500grains
.416 member

Reged: 16/02/04
Loc: Salt Lake City, Utah USA
Re: Need more advice - taxidermy [Re: shakari]
      #122877 - 03/01/09 05:55 AM

I have seen some piss poor taxidermy from Africa. Have your stuff shipped home and use someone here whose work is good.

AfricaHunter
.224 member

Reged: 27/12/08
Loc: California
Re: Need more advice - taxidermy [Re: 500grains]
      #122941 - 04/01/09 09:04 AM

There are pros and cons whichever way you go. One of the keys in either case is to use reputable known taxidermists who have experience with African animals. Some small U.S. taxidermists just don't get to see enough live animals to properly mount the species, using forms that are not appropriate. Cats can be a particular problem, IMO, especially where muscle tone under the hide should be apparent.

Personally, I have had all my mounts done in Africa since 1997, primarily by Taxidermy Africa, who I recommend. That includes world record Red Duiker and Sunni full body mounts. Generally speaking, even with shipping, using African taxidermy is less expensive. I have had some less than ideal experience with some small African taxidermy folks and even had a well known African taxidermist try to steal my Elephant hide.

Whatever you decide, I would advise that you be pro-active in fully describing what it is you want done and then staying in touch.

shakari
.400 member

Re: Need more advice - taxidermy [Re: AfricaHunter]
      #122965 - 04/01/09 07:03 PM

LionHunter has given you some good advice. There's good and bad taxidermists eveywhere in the world and the internet means they all have access to similar supplies. (FWIW) The best taxidermist I know of in Africa is Lifeform Taxidermy and the best I've seen in the USA is Buckshot Taxidermy in Texas.

As LionHunter also says, you need to do a lot of careful research, but I'll add that you shouldn't restrict your research to taxidermy work alone. The truth is that most people don't really know what the live animals should look like or how they stand and move in the first place, and without knowing that, you can't know what your taxidermy work should or shouln't look like.

Therefore, you need to start by watching wildlife documentaries etc very carefully and pay especial attention to how the animals stand and move etc. - How they stand is especially important. For example, another forum recenty had a thread where a guy was dead chuffed with a fullmount trophy and posted pics of it and got all the usual wows, oohs and ahs etc.......... no-one (except me) noticed that the way the animal was standing was completely wrong........... So first start by watching the live animals (hell, even watch your cat or dog to see how they stand and move) and then go look at websites and studios etc to check out their work at every opportunity.

As Lionhunter also says, the biggest challenge to a taxidermist and the easiest to get wrong are the cats. Esp Leopards, so if the taxidermist can get those right, they're usually gonna do the rest right as well.

--------------------
Steve "Shakari" Robinson
info@kuduland.com
www.kuduland.com

Edited by shakari (04/01/09 08:47 PM)

MKresinske
.275 member

Reged: 23/02/08
Loc: NY, USA
      #123109 - 06/01/09 04:42 AM

Great advice. Thanks again.

butchloc
.300 member

Reged: 18/12/04
Loc: faribault mn
      #123234 - 07/01/09 09:00 AM

depends on where you're going, if zim be happy to get your skins out. if RSA there are some good taxis there that i'd use in a second. if zambia michael borman in lusaka does a superb job. I've had most stuff done here, but the 3 or 4 safaris i had done over there have bee right up there. my plans this year are to have michael do thel

AfricaHunter
.224 member

Reged: 27/12/08
Loc: California
      #123235 - 07/01/09 09:03 AM

Shakiri is right about Lifeform Taxidermy being one of the good ones. I've used them as well as Taxidermy Africa and always been pleased with the work done by both.

You might want to ask about the taxidermists experience, such as working for a national museum, and how many years they have been a practicing taxidermist. If you can arrange to visit their studio prior to consigning your trophies, that will go a long way in helping you make a wise decision. And remember, it is the taxidermist who will be responsible for the packing of the trophies for shipment, so don't neglect a look at their packing area.

BTW, you don't have to have the taxidermy done in the country you hunt. For years now I've had my trophies shipped from Mozambique, Zambia, Tanzania and other countries to Taxidermy Africa or Lifeform in RSA, where I know the work will be done correctly.

Edited by LionHunter (07/01/09 09:07 AM)

shakari
.400 member

Re: Need more advice - taxidermy [Re: AfricaHunter]
      #123273 - 07/01/09 04:15 PM

Funny you should mention museums. Over the past couple of years or so, Lifeform have been doing a lot of family unit dioramas etc for a Chinese museum and shipping in batches. Frankly, I've never seen such incredible work and I'm very glad the workshops are just a few minutes drive from my home so I can go visit regularly........ The best I've seen so far is one of 2 lionesses that had just killed an impala next to a waterhole and as they were about to 'tuck in' a magnificent lion was running in to steal the kill....... it was a massive thing, but truly magnificent.

The other thing I like about Lifeform is their policy of allocating a specific staff member to individual clients, so it's always easy to get all the correct answers every time.

As Lionhunter says, you don't have to use a taxidermist in the country you hunt in. Most of our work is in Tanzania and Botswana and although we're always happy to ship to the taxidermist of the clients choice, most of our clients opt to use Lifeform.

The only country we advise against shipping raw trophies to is the UK.

--------------------
Steve "Shakari" Robinson
info@kuduland.com
www.kuduland.com

Scott
.275 member

Reged: 11/01/05
Loc: Florida, USA
      #127585 - 20/02/09 02:02 PM

My quick opinion is what ever you choose have it decided before you leave. You do not want to try to make that decision while in the bush. Especially if you have to ship the skins to another country to be processed.

There are some poor taxidermists in Africa. There are also some very good ones. The cost to have it done in Africa in my opinion is much cheaper but you are going to make that up in shipping. Although transportation by boat is much cheaper than by air. Also, you will be on Africa time. Be prepared for it to take a year before you receive your mounts.

The problem with having the work done here, is the person may have no clue to what the animal will or should look like. The hair is different than whitetails. Take the time to find a good taxidermist in the states who specializes in African game. Be prepared to pay for that expertise.

No matter, you are going to pay for the memories.

I have had all my mounts (3 trips) done by Transafrican Taxidermy with good results.

BeltedMagnum
.224 member

Reged: 09/10/08
Loc: New England
Re: Need more advice - taxidermy [Re: Scott]
      #127896 - 24/02/09 11:09 AM

My experience is that most outfits have a taxidermist that they send the majority of their business through. I was lucky enough to devote a day out of my trip to visiting the shop as it was fairly local and I wrapped things up a little early. Even having visited the shop and telling them exactly what I wanted in person, there was still a slight mistake that they had to correct before they shipped. My father had european mounts for his trophies and was a little disappointed with the quality of the wood plaques. This same outfit mounted a friend's extended shoulder mounts and they are the best I have ever seen. It should also be noted that they shipped my father's gemsbok with the horns glued on reversed "right on left, left on right" in an awkward V. I wouldn't be apposed to having them done again their, but I'd be as specific as possible and if possible request they send you e-mails with pics to ensure everything is as promised. Shipping by air is pricey as heck, but that is the route I went.

The customs on our side was a nightmare the first time we went through it, so do your homework. I had to provide the names of the items in latin genus species and such and if by chance a warthog is on your list, both my Father and myself ran into additional requirements. Seems you need to "know a guy" for it to go smoothly, due to it being a pig. It took us almost a week of calling here and there the first time through it. Heck even the reproduced fiberglass Rhino horn turned into a bit of a run around. Anyone else run into issues with warthog imports?

Belted

--------------------
Hunting Africa with Dad. Does it get any better?

BNagel
.224 member

Reged: 21/03/09
Loc: Clute, Texas
Re: Need more advice - taxidermy [Re: BeltedMagnum]
      #130153 - 21/03/09 12:06 PM

After three trips -- your original thinking is correct.
You control the expenses far better over here, can work
with your taxidermist, stand far less a chance at getting
screwed over freight charges, quality is far better IF!!

!! you use someone with Africa experience you trust.
BTW if you want art work vs. a good pose, correct eyes, etc.
you'll pay way more than just a natural look to your trophy.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 29 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3683

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com