Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Here's the story.

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Africa & hunting dangerous game

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
4seventy
Sponsor

Reged: 07/05/03
Loc: Queensland Australia
Re: Here's the story. [Re: mikeh416Rigby]
      #113973 - 08/09/08 10:05 PM

Great story photos and bull Mike!

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Ben
.400 member

Reged: 22/08/08
Loc: Northern Territory, Australia
Re: Here's the story. [Re: JPK]
      #114204 - 11/09/08 10:20 PM

A couple of lovely animals there. Well done, Mike.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: Here's the story. [Re: Ben]
      #114227 - 12/09/08 02:58 AM

An excellent safari.

Mike, what is the Caprivi Strip terrain generally like? Is it mostly open country like where you took the buffalo or more scrub and forest? A mixture of both? Is most hunting done on the plains? Thanks.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

McLarenSafaris
.224 member

Reged: 24/03/05
Loc: Soutpan, Free State, South Afr...
      #114641 - 17/09/08 03:15 PM

Mike,

Congratulations on a fantastic hunt and a very nice bull!

I'm sure that the moment when you knew for sure about your success in taking him cleanly must have been very sweet! A memory to be treasured in old age!

Be sure that IMHO not many here know even remotely what it is like to crawl on hands and knees for a few hundred yards! It is after just a few dozens of yards when you find out that a human hand is not designed for being flat on the ground and then flexing the arm forward. Have you also switched to crawling on knees and knuckles? Just to get your knuckles so worn to be bleeding? Yeah. Few know what it is really like to crawl a long distance. I do, and I most heartily congratulate you for listening to the PH's encouragement and persevering. Your bad knees must have given you absolute hell?

In good hunting.

Andrew McLaren

--------------------
Andrew McLaren

"A good hunt is worth whatever you pay for it. A bad hunt is not worth the time spent on it"

http://www.mclarensafaris.com

Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
Re: Here's the story. [Re: McLarenSafaris]
      #114667 - 17/09/08 10:49 PM

Quote:

Mike,

Congratulations on a fantastic hunt and a very nice bull!

I'm sure that the moment when you knew for sure about your success in taking him cleanly must have been very sweet! A memory to be treasured in old age!

Be sure that IMHO not many here know even remotely what it is like to crawl on hands and knees for a few hundred yards!
Andrew McLaren

+++++

Great hunt Mike and one too be proud off...I commend you...

BUT, couldn't let this comment of Andrew slip by...I guess I have more faith in the readers on this forum in that they are "hard core" hunters and most DO know what it is like to crawl, sneak or do whatever it is needed to get on game...IMHO..

The problem with patting oneself on the back too hard is throwing out ones shoulder,,,again IMHO...

Ripp

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

mikeh416Rigby
.450 member

Reged: 24/02/03
Loc: The beautiful Oley Valley, PA....
Re: Here's the story. [Re: Ripp]
      #114685 - 18/09/08 02:24 AM

Here are two photos of the recovered bullet-a 400 grain Barnes TSX. I don't think one could ask anything more from a big game bullet.

Edited by mikeh416Rigby (20/09/08 05:25 AM)

shinz
.300 member

Reged: 11/05/08
Loc: New Zealand
      #114723 - 18/09/08 09:34 AM

Quote:

yeah, well, 'nuff said I reckon, they kind of tell the story.
Thanks for those Mike, nice & clear.
Steve

bigmaxx
.375 member

Reged: 13/06/07
Loc: Bowling Green KY U.S.A.
      #114726 - 18/09/08 10:04 AM

Yes, great photos and a great story. Very nice bull too. Well done.

--------------------
One day at a time...

mikeh416Rigby
.450 member

#114908 - 20/09/08 05:49 AM

I was very fortunate, in that I was wearing a pair of unlined leather gloves which aided tremendously! After a while I couldn't walk using the flats of my hands, but, as you mentioned, I was walking ape style on my knuckles. That helped use my skeleton to support my weight, rather than depending on the muscles.

mikeh416Rigby
.450 member

Re: Here's the story. [Re: NitroX]
      #114942 - 20/09/08 02:54 PM

Quote:

An excellent safari.

Mike, what is the Caprivi Strip terrain generally like? Is it mostly open country like where you took the buffalo or more scrub and forest? A mixture of both? Is most hunting done on the plains? Thanks.

The terrain in this area of the Caprivi is mostly open flood plain. A month before my hunt, this area was totally inaccessable by vehicles. Boats and mokoros are the only way to get around then. Vaughan has a couple of boats available, including a customized pontoon boat with two tents on the roof. He also does a fair amount of fly camping if the herds are too far from main camp. There are some low, gentle hills, which are of course islands in the wet season. According to Vaughan, in most years, the biggest bulls come over from Botswana in late September, into October. There are also a lot of elephant in this area. The day after I shot my Buffalo, a hunter from California shot a 60# = - Bull. This was his 2nd hunting day. A friend of mine went along on this trip, having booked a 16 day Elephant and Cape Buffalo Hunt. On the next to last day he killed a 60 plus pound Bull. He told me that he also wounded, and lost a Buff after it crossed the Chobe into Botswana. He also took a nice Blue Wildebeest, and his son shot a nice Impala Ram. Of course, there are lots, and lots of Zebra, it's just a matter of picking out the pattern on the hide that strikes your fancy. Interestingly enough, a lot of the Zebra in this area have no shadow stripes.

Now, just for clarification, I took my bull on the Kasika Conservancy, which is about as far east as you can be in the Caprivi. Our camp was on the Salambala Conservancy which adjoins it. The Salambala is a much larger conservancy, and actually straddles both sides of the road from Katima Mulolo, to the Botswana Border. The Salambala also has a large flood plain, but has a lot of sand forest that borders the Chobe. This area is also mostly flat. Vaughan does a lot of his Elephant hunting here. This is where the California hunter in camp took his bull, and so did my friend.

THE FOLLOWING IS FROM VAUGHAN'S WEBSITE:
The Salambala Communal Conservancy area borders on the Zambezi in the north and runs right down to the Chobe in the south, offering elephant hunting and buffalo hunting. In 2005, the average on elephant was 51 lbs. The 200 000 acre Salambala Conservancy was the first conservancy to be registered in Namibia. It is roughly 40 km east of Katima Mulilo.

The Kasika Communal Conservancy is in the Zambezi Flood Basin in the far east of the Caprivi strip. The terrain in these areas is very flat, with huge grass flood plains and some forest and scrub areas.

The Caprivi Strip of Namibia feels very different than our hunting areas in the North West of Namibia. This is the Africa of one's imagination with Buffalo, Hippo, Elephant, Lion, Jackal, Impala, and Kudu being just a few of the species found here.

www.fultonclassicsafaris.com

Edited by mikeh416Rigby (20/09/08 03:36 PM)

larcher
.416 member

Reged: 11/01/05
Loc: Saverne, Alsace, France
      #114954 - 20/09/08 06:01 PM

Once again congratulations Mike.

Easy can I imagine the predicament of having to crawl with bad knees. I am also suffering of worn off cartilage and I am not likely to crawl if no need be.
Your photos are splendid and the pic of Your anthology bull is duly stored in my computer.

What impresses me is the Chobe river. This river is famous thanks to the maneaters of lore and I imagined it very large and mighty. In fact at this place it’s not yet very large and acts as a border. Can You provide us the size of the Caprivi and the constrainsts when hunting on a strip between 2,3,4,5, countries?

--------------------
"I don't want to create an encyclopedic atmosphere here when we might be having a beer instead" P H Capstick in "Safari the last adventure."

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
      #114966 - 20/09/08 09:35 PM

Quote:

The Caprivi Strip of Namibia feels very different than our hunting areas in the North West of Namibia. This is the Africa of one's imagination with Buffalo, Hippo, Elephant, Lion, Jackal, Impala, and Kudu being just a few of the species found here.

Thanks for the reply.

Any sitatunga on the flood plains, river edges?

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

mikeh416Rigby
.450 member

Re: Here's the story. [Re: NitroX]
      #114997 - 21/09/08 01:24 AM

I never heard Vaughan mention Sitatunga. There are Red Lechwe, and Puku in the area, but they are not available on quota.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#115013 - 21/09/08 05:07 AM

Hey, those are some really great photos! Awesome story too; looks like you had a really cool trip. And this website is just as neat as you implied that it would be too. Thanks for letting me know about it!

mikeh416Rigby
.450 member

Re: Here's the story. [Re: ]
      #115014 - 21/09/08 06:11 AM

Quote:

Hey, those are some really great photos! Awesome story too; looks like you had a really cool trip. And this website is just as neat as you implied that it would be too. Thanks for letting me know about it! [/quote

Hey, welcome to NE.Com. I'm glad you found us. And a special thanks for taking care of me while I was in the hospital last week.

hoppdoc
.400 member

Reged: 02/03/06
Loc: Southeastern USA
      #115027 - 21/09/08 10:01 AM

Hmmm!

Thanks for the hunt story!!

Methinks I will pack some knee pads for those Buff stalks on the next Safari!! My 57 yr old knees are certainly nothing to brag about--

--------------------
An armed man is a citizen of his country, an unarmed man just a subject.

mikeh416Rigby
.450 member

Re: Here's the story. [Re: hoppdoc]
      #115482 - 25/09/08 12:37 PM

hoppdoc, I think the knee pad idea is a sound one. I've been thinking about a pair like carpet and rug installers wear.

CowboyCS
.333 member

Reged: 05/10/07
Loc: Kansas u.S.A.
      #115483 - 25/09/08 01:27 PM

Great write up, and great photos. Congratulations on a successful hunt.

C

--------------------
The Bill of Rights- Void were prohibited by law
Stolzer & Son's Gunsmithing

mikeh416Rigby
.450 member

#115921 - 30/09/08 01:04 PM

I couldn't post this until I had the details, but a friend of mine who went with me on the Safari had a 16 day Elephant hunt booked with Classic Safaris, and Vaughan Fulton was his PH. On the next to last day, he shot a 60 plus pounder. I don't have any other information yet, but my friend said that Vaughan left a message on his answering machine that said the tusks were 18 1/2 inches in diameter at the base. More information to follow: my friends father passed away on the first night we were in camp, so right now he's tied up taking care of follow-up.

mikeh416Rigby
.450 member

#197561 - 22/12/11 05:25 PM

My friend promised that he's get me photos of his Elephant shortly after the new year. Right now he's busy working on sponsors for his new television show on the Outdoor Channel.

Cazadero
.375 member

Reged: 17/10/11
Loc: Texas
      #197619 - 23/12/11 02:55 PM

Great story Mike.

2008 was a good year for buffalo.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 53 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 12469

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com