Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Your next Big Hunt/Safari?? Where, When??

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Africa & hunting dangerous game

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)
93mouse
.375 member

Reged: 17/08/07
Loc: Slovenia
Re: Your next Big Hunt/Safari?? Where, When?? [Re: hoppdoc]
      #111854 - 15/08/08 07:20 AM

Leaving on Oct. 26th - Zim - Doma - with PH gordon Duncan for "mountain" buffalo and season left-overs.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
mikeh416Rigby
.450 member

Reged: 24/02/03
Loc: The beautiful Oley Valley, PA....
Re: Your next Big Hunt/Safari?? Where, When?? [Re: 93mouse]
      #111869 - 15/08/08 10:28 AM

This will be my last post for a while. I leave for the Caprivi Strip for my Cape Buffalo hunt tomorrow morning at 6:00. Stay well everyone.

EricD
.416 member

Reged: 27/02/04
Re: Your next Big Hunt/Safari?? Where, When?? [Re: mikeh416Rigby]
      #111896 - 15/08/08 05:44 PM

Have a great trip Mike!

hoppdoc
.400 member

Reged: 02/03/06
Loc: Southeastern USA
      #111898 - 15/08/08 05:55 PM

Mike, we expect lots of pictures!

Have a great trip!!

--------------------
An armed man is a citizen of his country, an unarmed man just a subject.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
      #111910 - 16/08/08 12:37 AM

Quote:

This will be my last post for a while. I leave for the Caprivi Strip for my Cape Buffalo hunt tomorrow morning at 6:00. Stay well everyone.

Mike

Have a great time. Fantastic, the Caprivi Strip and Cape Buffalo!

Looking forward to the stories and photos.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

larcher
.416 member

Reged: 11/01/05
Loc: Saverne, Alsace, France
Re: Your next Big Hunt/Safari?? Where, When?? [Re: NitroX]
      #111913 - 16/08/08 01:53 AM

I consider to hunt in 2009 partly with Jaco for Nyala and Kudu, the other leg of the safari with Buzz Charlton for elephant again, with bow and arrow of course, but with a better preparation. Luc will tag along for hippo and croc.

--------------------
"I don't want to create an encyclopedic atmosphere here when we might be having a beer instead" P H Capstick in "Safari the last adventure."

Bwana
.224 member

Reged: 07/03/05
Loc: Monroe, Michigan
Re: Your next Big Hunt/Safari?? Where, When?? [Re: larcher]
      #112114 - 19/08/08 10:17 PM

I just returned from South Africa yesterday from a Safari/Tour with my wife, son and daughter. I just wanted to offer a few words of warning to anyone flying South African Airlines.

While checking in the firearms and luggage at the SAA counter for the trip home, the woman told me that ammunition was not allowed in checked baggage. I told her that it WAS allowed as long as it was boxed and I showed her the SAA policy which I carry with me. I also told her that this was the same way I carried it in May when I was there, and also the same way I brought the ammo to Africa, and had no problems. She discussed it with her fellow workers in their native tongue and told me that I was wrong. I then pointed out the sign attached to the check-in counter which said that ammunition WAS allowed in checked baggage as long as it was boxed. She then told me to take it to the SAPS firearm office and ask them about it while they cleared my rifles.

When I went to the firearms office, they told me the same thing as the lady at the counter. They then said that it would be O.K. to put the ammo in the cases with my rifles, which I knew was clearly wrong. I then pulled out my ammunition which was in a hard, plastic box inside my luggage and they said I should just check the box. Thankfully, I had the key to the locks with me and just checked the box.

This was a frustrating end to a fantastic trip. It's a shame that the incompetency in Africa is so prevalent. Trust me, none of those employees are in danger of losing their jobs.

I really am not crazy about flying SAA anymore, but unfortunately, leaving from Detroit, it is the quickest way to get to South Africa.

Bwana

Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
Re: Your next Big Hunt/Safari?? Where, When?? [Re: Bwana]
      #112118 - 19/08/08 11:20 PM

Bwana,

Unfortunatley, what you just described seems to be very indicative of the employee status of the Joburg airport employees in general. When I went this year, my guns sat in Joburg for 5 flights,..no one giving it a thought that "hey, maybe we should send those along with the flight to Harare"..finally, I emailed my travel agent in Texas who emailed their contact in Joburg who drove to the airport...there sat my guns...when he questioned the staff..they said.."yeah, we were going to get to it today" ....wow...

When returning, I got to the Delta Check-in...I was 5th in line...had 3 hours and 45 minutes till my next flight...2 hours and 35 minutes later--they had me checked in...amazing...most disorganinzed airport I have ever been too, period...and they are hosting the World Soccer games in 2010...they are going to need to make HUGE improvements to pull that one off...

Ripp

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

peter
removed

Reged: 11/04/07
Loc: denmark
Re: Your next Big Hunt/Safari?? Where, When?? [Re: Ripp]
      #112157 - 20/08/08 08:26 PM

im going in a few hours to the airport, tomorrow morning i will be in it, have fun y'all see you in a week.

best regards

peter

93mouse
.375 member

Re: Your next Big Hunt/Safari?? Where, When?? [Re: peter]
      #112158 - 20/08/08 08:48 PM

Break a leg - have a good one!

Paul
.400 member

Reged: 28/08/07
Loc: Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
      #112212 - 21/08/08 05:03 PM

Quote:

Do you know something we don't know, 93mouse? We usually reserve that salute for thespians. Strangely, since 'Born Free' and Animal Liberation, actors don't seem to have the same interest in hunting safaris they had in the '30s and '50s. I can't see Brad Pitt getting into it, for one thing.

Weidmansheil to you both

- Paul

mikeh416Rigby
.450 member

#112888 - 29/08/08 07:18 AM

Well, I made it back from the Caprivi late last night. I hunted with Classic Safaris. It was a 7 day hunt for Cape Buffalo, and I was fortunate enought to take a very old bull - 35" spread and knarley 15 1/2" bosses. A very nice bull indeed. I also managed to take a Burchell Zebra stallion with no shadow stripes.

bigmaxx
.375 member

Reged: 13/06/07
Loc: Bowling Green KY U.S.A.
      #112893 - 29/08/08 08:48 AM

I leave in the morning for Zimbabwe, catch my flight out of Nashville. Headed to Sapi and Humani for cape buffalo, hippo, and plains game. Thanks you all the help and encourement. This is my first trip, and first time flying. I will be back the 12th and will post pics then. Blessings.....Max

--------------------
One day at a time...

hoppdoc
.400 member

Reged: 02/03/06
Loc: Southeastern USA
      #112896 - 29/08/08 09:38 AM

mike16Rigby--

Super hunt!! Congratulations!!

When you are ready we would all love to hear it and enjoy all your pictures!!

Yup,the next best thing to being there--

--------------------
An armed man is a citizen of his country, an unarmed man just a subject.

Spring
.300 member

Reged: 01/04/04
Loc: Georgia
Re: Your next Big Hunt/Safari?? Where, When?? [Re: hoppdoc]
      #112898 - 29/08/08 10:01 AM

We're leaving for Tanzania on Sept 7th and I can't wait! My son has only one more semester before college graduation and he's taking this semester off so we can make this trip. We'll be in the Selous hunting for lion, elephant, buffaloes, leopard, kudu, eland, hippo, crocs, zebras, ect. We'll be with Luke Samaras Safaris and our PH will be Leon Kechenhoffer(sp?). I started packing a couple of days ago and things are just about ready. See ya in back here in October!

McCray
.224 member

Reged: 10/02/03
Loc: Oklahoma
      #112903 - 29/08/08 12:21 PM

Mike,

Congratulations!!!

I'm sure you had a great hunt and sounds like a great trophy.

Who did you end up hunting with?

mikeh416Rigby
.450 member

Re: Your next Big Hunt/Safari?? Where, When?? [Re: McCray]
      #112904 - 29/08/08 12:35 PM

Quote:

Mike,

Congratulations!!!

I'm sure you had a great hunt and sounds like a great trophy.

Who did you end up hunting with?

My P.H. was Dries Alberts, and, yes it was a great hunt. The approach, and stalk, to get into position for the shot, took 5 hous of crawling on our hands and knees through the waist high grass along the Chobe River. It was truely a hunt to remember.

93mouse
.375 member

Re: Your next Big Hunt/Safari?? Where, When?? [Re: Paul]
      #112934 - 29/08/08 05:46 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Do you know something we don't know, 93mouse? We usually reserve that salute for thespians. Strangely, since 'Born Free' and Animal Liberation, actors don't seem to have the same interest in hunting safaris they had in the '30s and '50s. I can't see Brad Pitt getting into it, for one thing.

Weidmansheil to you both

- Paul

Thanks Paul - Peter is going scot-free allready I guess
not that I know anything - BUT - as anyone that has spent a fair amount in the bush I couldn't resist to become (reasonably ) superstitious - also old folks here say - "if you meet a priest or a nun or an old woman prior the hunt, you can as well turn back, because nothing is going to show up this time " ...it is also a matter of bad luck wishing someone a good luck prior the hunt here - so we usually wish ourselves a "good view" & "barrels straight" (not sure if it helps either tho )

Mike_Bailey
.400 member

Reged: 26/02/07
Loc: GB
      #112937 - 29/08/08 05:57 PM

25th Sept, 2 weeks in SA, hippo, croc and plains game,fishing and some bird shooting, will try and post some pics on return, best, Mike

peter
removed

Reged: 11/04/07
Loc: denmark
      #112982 - 30/08/08 04:07 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Weidmansheil to you both

- Paul

Thanks Paul - Peter is going scot-free allready I guess
not that I know anything - BUT - as anyone that has spent a fair amount in the bush I couldn't resist to become (reasonably ) superstitious - also old folks here say - "if you meet a priest or a nun or an old woman prior the hunt, you can as well turn back, because nothing is going to show up this time " ...it is also a matter of bad luck wishing someone a good luck prior the hunt here - so we usually wish ourselves a "good view" & "barrels straight" (not sure if it helps either tho )

thanks for the well wishes mouse, they must have worked since i came back in one piece.
and got a new passion to persur for the reminder of my days

best regards

peter

Paul
.400 member

Reged: 28/08/07
Loc: Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
      #113091 - 31/08/08 03:50 PM

Sorry Peter,
I should have edited the quote. 'Break a leg' is what actors say to each other before going on stage. Somehow that means Good Luck!, as you know.

But supersticion is big whith them, too. What they are not supposed to mention is 'Macbeth', which they refer to as 'the Scottish play'.

JPK
.375 member

Reged: 31/08/04
Loc: Chevy Chase, MD
Re: Your next Big Hunt/Safari?? Where, When?? [Re: Paul]
      #113431 - 03/09/08 01:04 PM

I leave September 28th for a five tuskles and one trophy bull elephant hunt. Thee tuskless in Chewore South and two more plus the bull in Makuti. Also a bushbuck in Chwore and a leopard in Makuti. Only 17 days to get it all done because of a must make business engagement on the 21st Oct.

Hard work, long hours and lots of walking coming.

Can't wait,

JPK

Ripp
.577 member

Re: Your next Big Hunt/Safari?? Where, When?? [Re: JPK]
      #113479 - 03/09/08 09:27 PM

I hear there are a lot of tuskless in south Chewore---and they are quite "cheeky"...it is a wild area---you will have lots of fun..that is the area I plan to go to in 2010..

Ripp

--------------------

JPK
.375 member

Reged: 31/08/04
Loc: Chevy Chase, MD
Re: Your next Big Hunt/Safari?? Where, When?? [Re: Ripp]
      #113494 - 04/09/08 12:32 AM

Quote:

I hear there are a lot of tuskless in south Chewore---and they are quite "cheeky"...it is a wild area---you will have lots of fun..that is the area I plan to go to in 2010..

Ripp

I have been fortunate enough to hunt Chewore South for a combined 34 days. And fortunate enough to have taken four tuskless there, as well as four buff, a hyhena, a nice bushbuck, a zebra, a klipspringer (with my big bore double rifle!), and a whole bunch of impala for leopard bait. Hunted for a trophy bull elephant, a lion and the leopard, but struck out on those.

OzHunter has also hunted Chewore South several times and the week following my departure one year, he killed a very nice lion (my lion? ) after tracking it! He has also taken a klipsringer with a big bore double, I think in Chewore, but I'm not sure.

JPK

Ripp
.577 member

Re: Your next Big Hunt/Safari?? Where, When?? [Re: JPK]
      #113497 - 04/09/08 02:14 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Ripp

I have been fortunate enough to hunt Chewore South for a combined 34 days. And fortunate enough to have taken four tuskless there, as well as four buff, a hyhena, a nice bushbuck, a zebra, a klipspringer (with my big bore double rifle!), and a whole bunch of impala for leopard bait. Hunted for a trophy bull elephant, a lion and the leopard, but struck out on those.

OzHunter has also hunted Chewore South several times and the week following my departure one year, he killed a very nice lion (my lion? ) after tracking it! He has also taken a klipsringer with a big bore double, I think in Chewore, but I'm not sure.

JPK

JPK
My trip earlier this year was in Chewore North--lots of elephant there as well ...]

I would guess with over a month of hunting in the area you have a pretty good feel of it...which is why you probably keep going back..really enjoyed it as well...don't think a day passes where I don't think of it at least a few times per day..

What you using for a double as in caliber? Plan to take my .470 along when I head back ..or still looking for a 500 of one sort or another...but keep coming up with real estate deals so....

Hope you have a great hunt...and hope to see your photos when you return..

Good luck and be safe..

Ripp

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 35 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 10496

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com