Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Opinions on the Ruger RSM, 375H+H

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Rifles

Pages: 1
gwh
.333 member

Reged: 28/01/08
Loc: Cairns Australia
Opinions on the Ruger RSM, 375H+H
      #99668 - 19/03/08 07:50 PM

I'd like to hear some opinions and comparisons of the RSMs to other popular brands out there - they have a number of good features, but some ground truth from those who own them woyuldn't go astray.

Thanks

--------------------
Hunt hard, shoot straight

"I speak of Africa and golden joys; the joy of wandering through lonely lands; the joy of hunting the mighty and terrible lords of the wilderness, the cunning, the wary and the grim"

Theodore Roosevelt, Khartoum, 1910

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
mngane
.224 member

Reged: 09/03/04
Re: Opinions on the Ruger RSM, 375H+H [Re: gwh]
      #99710 - 20/03/08 03:05 AM

I have two. One in 375 H&H and one in 458 Lott. For what they are, which is a African style production rifle, they are top of the class. First and most important to me is they are accurate. The 375 is a 3/4" rifle, and the Lott is right behind it, which is probably due to recoil on my part. At first look they could pass as a custom job. If you compare it to what is out there in the same class I feel they are pretty tough to beat. compared to the CZ, Win Express, Kimber Caprivi, Rem DGR, it is the only one with a 1/4 Rib and nice rear shght. The CZ and Kimber have a nice Island sight but I prefer the 1/4 rib, to me it has more of a custom look.

I will give you my oppinion on + and - maybe this will help you.

Positives:
Integral 1/4 rib with nice rear sight, 2 folding leaves
Barrel band sling stud (this is not soldered on but held on via set screw that is not obvious)
Barrel band front sight, with varing blade heights readily available from NECG, if you need to adj.
Controlled round feeding, feeds very good. I have not been able to make it feed improperly.
Timney makes aftermarket trigger that is very good and adjustable
Very accurate out of box
Holds 4 rnds in Mag one in chamber
Warne makes very attractive QD scope rings for Rugers that give the rifle a nice look
Nice feeling stock, a little beefy which I think is good for larger calibers, it points nice.
Has Ebony forend cap, adds a custom look.

Negatives:
Fairly heavy for 375, I like a havy rifle but some may not, mine weighs @ 11.5 lbs w 1-6 scope
Wood is not that great, tends to be lighter in color like the CZ, Kimber and Win wood is nicer.
Hard, thin recoil pad, I replaced mine.
Factory trigger is heavy but was clean with no creep. I replaced with Timney.

For the price I am very pleased with mine, for a nicer rifle I believe you would have to shell out $2-3K more for a semi custom such as Dakota. The Kimber is not too terribly much more and I am sure it is a nice rifle, but I do not have any actual shooting experiece with them.

taw1126
.333 member

Reged: 24/07/07
Loc: Texas
Re: Opinions on the Ruger RSM, 375H+H [Re: gwh]
      #99747 - 20/03/08 03:00 PM

I agree with what has been written, but after a couple of months of searching I was able to find a 375 H&H that had "catalog-quality" wood on it. The vast majority you see these days have very plain, light colored wood (as noted before). Also, I didn't feel like my trigger needed any work.

Again, you'll have to spend a bunch of money to get the standard Ruger features on another rifle. Also, you probably won't end up with a true magnum-length action (the exception being CZ or a custom action).

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 25 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 1570

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com