Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: "45-70 is the way to go from Ele to T Rex "

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Rifles

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | >> (show all)
hoppdoc
.400 member

Reged: 02/03/06
Loc: Southeastern USA
"45-70 is the way to go from Ele to T Rex "
      #91699 - 16/12/07 05:39 AM

Sorry,I couldn't resist a discussion of this SMACKDOWN article I read!!

Read a current article in G&A by Sam Fadala proclaiming his exploits with the 540 gr 45-70 at 1550 fps on charging hippo, charging Buff,etc.Apparently a broad meplat bullet now gives this caliber mystical killing properties at slow velocities!!

http://www.garrettcartridges.com/products.asp

My concern is some deluded hunter is going to try this may get hurt or killed!!Betcha Sam had someone backing him up with a real stopping rifle--

Think I want something more potent on a charging Ele or Buff than a 45-70--

Or maybe I'm overgunned with my Double!! Do all us wimps now just need 45-70 Doubles and Garrets magical bullets?[satire]

Gentlemen, your thoughts on G&A's article??

--------------------
An armed man is a citizen of his country, an unarmed man just a subject.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
Re: "45-70 is the way to go from Ele to T Rex " [Re: hoppdoc]
      #91701 - 16/12/07 05:45 AM

I read that same article--I really didn't take away from it that it was being promoted for others to do it--more that yes, it could be done..

Thought it was really interesting in that he did it and that the "old" 45-70 was up to the task..

Not sure if you remember the article recently published stating the advantage of using "heavy for caliber" bullets---ie. using 350's in a .375 --very interesting and as the article pointed out, the extra weight does make a difference

As to your comments on some idiot going out and trying it on his own..Nature has its own way of cleansing the gene pool..

Ripp

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

9.3x57
.450 member

Reged: 22/04/07
Loc: United States
Re: "45-70 is the way to go from Ele to T Rex " [Re: Ripp]
      #91710 - 16/12/07 10:14 AM

Hoppdoc: I'd guess that such a combination {540/1550/flat meplat} is rare enough that the jury is out as to how it would perform on heavy game under bad circumstances. I've read of some work being done in South Africa and elsewhere studying the effect of various ogive configurations on deep penetration, and the results were very interesting, indicating that relatively minor changes can produce significant differences in terminal performance. If it works on the "real heavies" maybe it'll help the .45-70 to some significant amount? Until a bunch of big stuff is shot with such a combination I'm not willing to say it won't work. Maybe somebody here has experience with a similar load and can comment?

I do not. The load I shoot in my .45-70 is a 402 grain cast hollowpoint running at 1640 fps. Not even near the performance of the .470, etc. But my load is a killer and the bullet acts something like a Nosler Partition, shedding the front hollowpoint, leaving the rear shank to penetrate deeply. I do not consider the .45-70 the equal of a .500 NE or even a .458 Winchester Magnum, but I do have a soft spot for the cartridge and my Marlin that shoots it. I have killed bear, deer, varmints and two range cattle with it. I'll tell you about one of latter:

Some years ago some range cattle broke out of a neighboring ranch and wandered onto the road that divides my place. A girl struck three of them in her car at night, totalling the car and killing one cow, sending one off {never to be seen or heard from again} and breaking the leg of another. The next day the rancher was called in from Lewiston {where the Speer bullets are made} and he and his hand saddled up their horses and came by to round up the wounded one and push it to their stock trailer. It went berserk, chased him and his hand from the cedar mill to my line, then, when they backed off after the Sheriff's Deputy arrived, chased the Deputy under his patrol car where he stayed till it moved off of its own accord.

I knew none of this as I was at my business in town 20 miles away. I received a telephone call from a neighbor who merely stated that the rancher didn't want the critter and I could come and put it in the freezer if I wanted to.

I drove home and met a friend, who had just arrived and was as ignorant as I was. he went to his pickup and offered his .38 to put the thing down with. I declined and told him I wanted to try a new .45-70 handload so I'd take mine. i'm glad I did. The rancher always had a sick and demented sense of humor.

We found the rancher who pointed out the critter and took my friend and drove off some distance away. This seemed odd but I didn't say anything about it. The cow was in the mill yard lying down and chewing its cud when I approached from behind. I figured I'd walk up and get one in at an angle from side-to-side so I could maybe recover the bullet.

When I got to about thirty yards away, the cow spotted me and exploded off the ground, spun around and with no more to-do, came for me like I was a catcher and she was a Roger Clemens fastball. Our mobile butcher is a friend of mine and he has probably faced more bovine charges than any professional hunter I can think of {a lot of people call the mobile butcher because they can't load the mean one...} and he told me to aim for a spot about two inches lower than a line stretched from eye-to-eye on charging beef cattle as they come with their noses pointed more or less straight out. That's what I did and when I broke the trigger that cow piled up like a sack of cement dropped off the delivery truck.

When my kids and me skinned the critter out we were careful to trace the bullet path. It entered the head right at the edge of the cartilage of the nose and angled back, passing through the head, shattering the base of the skull and many vertebrae in the neck and coming to rest after it had penetrated over 24 inches of bone and muscle.

The .45-70 is no "elephant gun", to be sure. But in a light 7 lb rifle with great handling and excellent sights, it kept my ass out of traction, and that I am grateful for. If Sam wants to hot-rod it and kill buffalo with it, all the power to him. If he finds out it doesn't work for him, i'm sure we'll hear about it in good time.

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

JabaliHunter
.400 member

Reged: 16/05/07
Loc: England
Re: "45-70 is the way to go from Ele to T Rex " [Re: 9.3x57]
      #91838 - 17/12/07 09:17 PM

[quote If he finds out it doesn't work for him, i'm sure we'll hear about it in good time.

Unfortunately it seems that this debate will not end until one of these articles on the suitability of the 45-70 ends with an obituary.

Not very charitable at Christmas time, but hey, at least the guy would get a posthumous darwin award!

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: "45-70 is the way to go from Ele to T Rex " [Re: JabaliHunter]
      #91850 - 17/12/07 10:43 PM

IF one had a Ruger, or bolt .45/70, I'm sure they could duplicate my in-camp/BEAR load that I have for my .458 2". So far, the bears haven't shown when I've been in the guide's camp. It drives the flat point 560gr. Lyman hard cast bullet (hardened WW) of 560gr. weight at 1,850fps. For those who feel the .450/.400 has plenty of poop, this load beats it in diameter, bullet weight, KO, FPE or whatever measurement is used. fpe is 4,257. While I don't put much if any faith in fpe, I acknowledge than many hunters do, especially when African game is spoken of. I have run 500gr. jacketed up to 4,750fpe with this rifle, but think that 560 flat nose needs some testing and would hit a considerably harder blow. It's cavitation index is much better than a round nose solid. Lyman # 457560.
: Only game we've shot with that bullet, was a bull moose, shot in the chest, the bullet recovered in the right rump underneath the hide. The alloy was 50/50 WW/Pure. Initial velocity was only approximately 1,430fps, driven by a 122gr. of 2F. Range was only 85 yards. The bullet expanded to .756" and lost only 59 gr.
; This velocity range is well within the Marlin's capbiltiy, however bullet length, of course, is a problem in the lever action.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

9.3x57
.450 member

#91854 - 18/12/07 12:12 AM

Quote:

Unfortunately it seems that this debate will not end until one of these articles on the suitability of the 45-70 ends with an obituary.

Probably true enough, though whether the caliber/performance will be the cause of it will be argued over, too until enough of these heavy .45-70 loads get faced with big buff, which I doubt will happen soon.

Put another way, I'd like to see a Marrakai-style cull on big Australian or Cape buff using the types of loads cited by Hoppdoc and Fadala, with appropriate bullet-digging and thus leading to conclusions based on documented performance. I don't see that happening since I think such heavy .45-70 loads are relative rarities in Australia and Africa.

While I cannot see why anybody would choose to go with the .45-70 over some other more-commonly used cartridge for heavy African game {unless they just feel like it, which is good enough reason to me}, Daryl's load {and others} are more powerful than other commonly used buff calibers {9.3x74R, 9.3x62, .375 H&H Mag, etc} and if such hotrodded .45-70 "stunt loads" are to be condemned so should such cartridges as the mediums cited above.

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

JabaliHunter
.400 member

#91858 - 18/12/07 12:34 AM

Quote:

I cannot see why anybody would choose to go with the .45-70 over some other more-commonly used cartridge for heavy African game

Neither can I - alot appear to do it just to prove that they can

Quote:

if such hotrodded .45-70 "stunt loads" are to be condemned so should such cartridges as the mediums cited above.

I don't have anything against pushing performance to the limits and I am fully in favour of heavy for calibre bullets in any of the medium bores that you mention, particularlty the 375. However, when you factor in that you mostly have to rely on handloads, if they got lost on route to Africa you would be reliant on locally sourced rounds which are unlikely to be as powerful. As such, a "just because I can" round, while fun, does not class as a true DG round IMHO

JabaliHunter
.400 member

Re: "45-70 is the way to go from Ele to T Rex " [Re: DarylS]
      #91859 - 18/12/07 12:40 AM

Quote:

It drives the flat point 560gr. Lyman hard cast bullet (hardened WW) of 560gr. weight at 1,850fps. For those who feel the .450/.400 has plenty of poop, this load beats it in diameter, bullet weight, KO, FPE or whatever measurement is used. fpe is 4,257.

That sounds like a great bear round and certainly packs some punch. I'd love to see it in a head to head penetration test against a 450/400 firing woodleighs though and I'd definitely want to perform such a test before I pointed it in anger in the direction of a cape buffalo.

peter
removed

Reged: 11/04/07
Loc: denmark
      #91863 - 18/12/07 01:52 AM

this discussion is about emotions, if we substituted the 45-70 with say 43 mauser(pretty much same round) then all the guys from the US wouldent have the need to rattel their swords and scream bloody murder all the time.

so the 43 mauser.

it is a black powder round with the possibility to hotrod a lot and even try to blow eachother up,
it has nothing that you cant find in other, better and never calibers that allready is cip proved and there is a standard for.
therefore the 43 mauser is a fun black powder number, that is good enough in itself and there is no reason to try to make it into a nitro express cartrigde.
it will never achive the same class as english NE cartrigdes even if it had the same energy and everything, so dont try to make a silk purse out of a sows ear.
leave the 43 mauser for what it can do and do well which is boar, bears and visent(aka bison, black bear and pigs etc.).

So 43 MAUSER great round leave it alone, or do another round, with it as a bacis, and call it something new like 43 marlin etc

my two cents (euro that is)

peter

DarylS
.700 member

Re: "45-70 is the way to go from Ele to T Rex " [Re: peter]
      #91869 - 18/12/07 03:14 AM

Peter, does the same reasonaing go for the .375H&H and the 9.3x62 - or the English Nitro rounds?
; That being the case, the 9.3x62 should be reduced to a 286gr., at 2,175fps (same as current 9.3x57) and the H&H reduced to 2,400fps for 300gr. and 2,600fps for 270gr,(.375 ballistics are slightly reduced from what a 9.3x62 will do with handloads today) This means the 9.3 wouldn't be able to shoot heavier bullets, which seemed fine with Taylor as he very much appreciated the 9.3 and .375 using their early ballistics. He did state that when the 9.3 was increased to 2,360fps, it wasn't needed.
: Seems strange there is such negetivism expressed against a properly loaded, modernized round that seems to work well on heavy game.
: To Peter, there would be no big bore Nitro Express rounds had there not been black powder express rounds to "Hotrod". That is all they are.
; A modernized .43 Mauser in a modern Mauser bolt gun would duplicate the .450/400 I'd expect and maybe exceed it by a margin of 150fps. It would be a great bear/moose/elk load and satisfy for most all hunting in Africa to boot. Seems it would duplicate the .425 Nitro. Even looks like it, albeit smaller in diameter.
; I think what upsets many English Ctg. fanatics, is that the lowly .45/70, which was first chambered in 1872 & incorporated as THE US Military ctg. in 1873, can be up-scaled just as the English black powder rounds were, and in solid actioned guns, can come very close to duplicating the larger cased English ctgs. Afterall, the .45/70 can be loaded in a bolt gun or Ruger SS to 2,200fps with 400gr. bullets, without even breaking 55,000psi. With today's bullets, real-penetration and expansion can be achieved which borders on and even defeats what solids and soft points did and do well from their larger, lower pressure rounds (in the same calibre, of course).
; Yes, I agree - it is an emotional debate and it will take 10's of hunters killed using it on dangerous game which will still not prove anything. How many 10's of hunters were killed when using the big English guns?

--------------------
Daryl

JabaliHunter
.400 member

#91874 - 18/12/07 03:38 AM

The point is that the 375H&H and 9.3x62 aren't massively "hot-rodded" - they can shoot their heavy bullets without excessive pressure and yet still maintain useful velocity and get massive penetration. You may well get 2200fps at 55,000psi with 400 grain bullets in the 45-70 - but look at the SD of a 400grain .45 calibre as compared to a 400 grain .40 cal or 350gr .375 cal. It may not mean all that much for boar and bear, but I'm dead sure it does for buff and ele!

9.3x57
.450 member

#91878 - 18/12/07 05:17 AM

If anybody here is saying "It won't work!" my question is "How do you know?"

I mean, I don't hear Daryl stating that the heavily loaded .45-70 is the "greatest buff cartridge on earth", and I know I am not.

But to criticise a guy's experimentation {that seemed to work OK by the way} without any field reports otherwise seems to be a weak argument. I say if a fellow can get a PH to let him, test the .45-70 extensively and then let's find out how it does. I simply do not know as I have not read much about heavy-loaded .45-70's on heavy African game.

My point is that I would love to see Daryl's or Sam's loads tested on a number of big critters and then maybe an argument could be made for or against it.

I was thinking that one of the Aussies here had some {not so good?} experiences with heavy-loaded .45-70's but maybe my memory is unclear on that point. I'd love to hear from others with pro and con reports. I myself am undecided. I have shot a lot of cast 400-420 grain bullets in a variety of media and they penetrate surprisingly well. I must dig out my records, as IIRC, my 402 grain HP load penetrated as far as the recent premium .375 loads tested. I'll check and report later.

Oh, yeah, Peter...Daryl is doing a great job of stumping for the .45-70 but he ain't from the US...

--------------------

peter
removed

#91881 - 18/12/07 07:12 AM

i see my point dident come across, so i will try again.

i know that it is a sensetive area for all you NORTH AMERICANS , what i dont get is you got the 45-90 and 45-110. longer case gives lower pressure. play with those for gods sake

yes daryl a lot of the NEs are from bpe but not every bpe became a full nitro, of all the 450 bpe's, they chose the longest one to make the 450 ne. why because of the pressure, i presume.

i cant see the reason why people keep pushing the 45-70 other than the shells are cheap, and that is a poor reason to get blown up in my book.

regards

peter

Sarg
.400 member

Reged: 20/01/07
Loc: Nil
Re: "45-70 is the way to go from Ele to T Rex " [Re: peter]
      #91884 - 18/12/07 08:18 AM

I,ve always been apprehensive to say good things about the 45/70 because so many people have preset ideas on it
In the NT of Australia hundreds maybe thousands of Buffalo have been killed with the 45/70 ,as there was a law on the books into the 1980,s that you could not have a cartrigde over a certain speed ie:45/70 not 222 Rem ,in those days if you drove from Darwin to any where out of town at night you could run into Buff on the main road !
I have shot a lot of Buff & a few Bantang with the 45/70 and it worked very well !
I would much rather face a Buff with a hot-rodded 45/70 than a 375 H&H which I think is marginal on Buff any way
Some times there is a reason to use a certain cartrigde or rifle ,Laws ,the rifle you HAVE or like above others , I believe most on this forum under stand this !

Sarg
.400 member

Re: "45-70 is the way to go from Ele to T Rex " [Re: Sarg]
      #91886 - 18/12/07 08:36 AM

Oh ,I was a professional Buff shooter in the 80,s and have guided on Buff & Bantang for some years
I also helped out on a few hunts in Africa to.
That said my back up rifle is a 458 Win , which is much better for the job !

hoppdoc
.400 member

#91896 - 18/12/07 11:08 AM

My gut feeling is I would like to see some penetration testing of a 540 gr hammerhead at 1550 fps compared to African standard cartridges.

My feeling is Buff is on the light end of desired penetration?maybe,but a 45-70 definitely not an option on Ele for me.With numerous documented headshot failures of 500 gr 458 WM around 2000 fps *ain't no way* I'm going to try a head on shot at a charging Ele with any 45-70 if I have a choice.

I prefer to always be prepared for the worse scenario, not the perfect shot--Bet somewhere someone has even killed an Ele with a handgun.I know they have--SO WHAT!!Better to respect the animal to dispatch it quickly with the most potent rifle I can control and avoid nasty painful terminal complications like becoming instant toejam!!!

--------------------

9.3x57
.450 member

#91910 - 18/12/07 01:10 PM

Quote:

My gut feeling is I would like to see some penetration testing of a 540 gr hammerhead at 1550 fps compared to African standard cartridges.

My feeling is Buff is on the light end of desired penetration?maybe,but a 45-70 definitely not an option on Ele for me.With numerous documented headshot failures of 500 gr 458 WM around 2000 fps *ain't no way* I'm going to try a head on shot at a charging Ele with any 45-70 if I have a choice.

I prefer to always be prepared for the worse scenario, not the perfect shot--Bet somewhere someone has even killed an Ele with a handgun.I know they have--SO WHAT!!Better to respect the animal to dispatch it quickly with the most potent rifle I can control and avoid nasty painful terminal complications like becoming instant toejam!!!

SARG: Do you remember what loads you used? What gun?

HOPPDOC: Me, too. I would like to see the same testing you refer to. I have a feeling I know what might occur, but am not 100% sure.

PETER: I checked my records:

My .45-70 load using the Lee 402 grain Hollow Point {cast of wheelweights} and running 1640 fps exceeds the penetration of the 300 grain Hornady Round Nose and the 300 grain Norma Oryx and equalled the penetration of the 300 grain Swift A-Frame shot in the recent testing of the .375 H&H magnum {shot at +- 2450 fps}. Unlike some heavy sixgun bullets that frequently penetrate deeply but show little hydraulic effect, the Lee evaporates the first two jugs quite similarly to the the .375 and succeeded in knocking the 6th jug off the test table unlike the .375's.

I should add that I have never experienced any pressure signs or troubles with my load even when shot in hot weather, and it is NOT the highest velocity that can be obtained with a 402 grain bullet in the .45-70. This load obviously gives up lead in exchange for speed when compared to Sam's load. The Lee HP seems to perform like a Nosler Partition {when run at the velocity I shoot and cast of wheelweights} in test media and in game, blowing off the HP portion and leaving the shank to penetrate.

Having said that, would I consider it a backup load for elephant or buffalo? No, I would not. But I guess I would have to lump it in with the 9.3x62 and .375 H&H when used at close range. I would say my load would be the equal of the .375 at very close ranges, which is to say it lacks the performance of a real stopper like the .470, .458 WM, etc. I have never had the opportunity to test the .458 or .470, etc on my test media, so take that for what it is worth. I'm guessing there would be some recordable differences in performance.

To paraphrase Fox News: "I've reported, you decide".

--------------------

DarylS
.700 member

#91982 - 19/12/07 02:06 AM

What fun! - The reason for long cases, underloaded to reduce pressure is for double rifles of the day that didn't like 55,000PSI. Cordite greatly increases pressure in hot climates, another reason for out-sized cases. I notice there are several doubles now chambered for high pressure rounds ie: .458's and .375's, .30/06, etc. All of these produce higher pressure than the hot-rodded .45/70's. I don't see pressure as being a valid point - maybe back in 1920, but not now.
; Would I take a Marlin to Africa - bloody not. I've a great .375/06IMP that exceeds original H&H ballistics and can easliy re-chamber any .45 to another nice '.458 Alaskan' (rebated rim .450 Alaskan on a bolt-gun) that easily does 2,200fps with 500's as it has slightly greater capacity than a .458 WM. It will probably do 2,250fps, but it's already faster and penetrates more deeply than most of the Nitros. Yeah, I know it's blasphemy to say things like that - sometimes the truth hurts.
; The truth of the matter, is that the hot-rodded .45/70 puts out ballistics that 'could' be effective and so far seems to have been effective, on some species African dangerous game. Remember one of John Taylor's favourites? - a single shot .577/450. That's shot a 480gr. lead, paper patched bullet at about 1,380fps.

--------------------
Daryl

Sarg
.400 member

#91994 - 19/12/07 08:28 AM

9ThreexFifty7

You will not like this ,this is in the days when I had less money than even now and less brains ?
(Yes I know hard to believe )
New England & H&R single shot 500gr Hornadys softs & solids BIG loads of 4227 & 3031 for around 1800fps .These would go right though Buff on side shots most times & always on Bantang !

And in a T.C Contender 400gr Barnes X heavy load of RE7 for around 2200fps !
Most times found under skin on far side .
I think most of the guys up there had Marlin lever guns ,don,t know there loads ,
I have seen some more affordable doubles in 45/70 ,half the price of full Nitro guns and wished I could will a 45/70 to be a D/G cartrigde ,but I think to much for these guns !

Sarg
.400 member

#91999 - 19/12/07 09:00 AM

hoppdoc

Yes I would not take a 45/70 after Ele by choice ,if it was all I had ? no problem to kill one with it, a BIG Bull in charge front on ,not so happy at all ,but what size would make a person happy in that situation ?
I have used & seen the 458 Win used on a lot of game it works very well !
I can not image a 480gr to 500 gr 45 Cal solid @ 2000 fps not going though a Ele brain !I think those stories are mistakes or tales from poeple who have not use it, or used it badly then blamed the cartrigde !
I helped cull some Ele (cows & small bulls )the 458 Win swatted them down ,I did not do so well with 375 H&H ,would do better now days with more experience I think !

9.3x57
.450 member

#92012 - 19/12/07 12:31 PM

Sarg...

I'm lovin' it!!

What year did H&R send .45-70 SS's over there?

A buddy of mine has one of those things and honestly, it handles very well, tho the fence post stock & plastic trigger guard don't make it anybody's favorite...

By the way, I have a hunch a 500 grain bullet cast of wheelweights and of similar configuration to the Hornady solid run at your 1800 fps would penetrate quite similarly. I do not think it would be difficult to rig up a test to compare the two.

--------------------

Sarg
.400 member

#92032 - 19/12/07 02:41 PM

9ThreeXFity7

I have no idea when they started but I,m sure they were here in the 70s in the older action ?
I have tried to post a photo of the one I have now in 500 3-1/4 Nitro ,I have shot this with full loads , but it is a bit too much really so now use hot 50-140 loads or Nitro for black loads
I think it is cool & you can get the metal trigger guard and fore end parts on line now !

hoppdoc
.400 member

#92033 - 19/12/07 02:55 PM

Just a few articles regarding problems with the 500 gr 458 at 1900+ with Ele and the marked improvement with the 458 Lott et al--Some of this is due to case capacity/bullet quality but note 1900+ fps only penetrated one half as deep as others 200fps faster.

http://www.cybertorpedo.com/africanhunter/classcart/458_watts_lott_01.htm

http://www.african-hunter.com/WhatsWrong.htm

http://www.cybertorpedo.com/africanhunter/firearms/solids_monometals_04.htm

If this is so then how would a 540 gr at 1550 fps(much,much slower) possibly hold its own??

--------------------

Edited by hoppdoc (19/12/07 02:56 PM)

9.3x57
.450 member

#92039 - 19/12/07 03:44 PM

Quote:

Some of this is due to case capacity/bullet quality but note 1900+ fps only penetrated one half as deep as others 200fps faster.

If this is so then how would a 540 gr at 1550 fps(much,much slower) possibly hold its own??

SARG: Thanks for the picture!! Looks like a great rifle. I can imagine that it lets you know when it goes off! What does it weigh?

Hoppdoc:

The reference to "1/2 as deep" penetration in the cybertorpedo site is, as I read it, due to bullet fragmentation/failure. Adding additional velocity would cause more fragmentation and less penetration, not less fragmentation and more penetration. In the case of a weak bullet, increased velocity causes fragmentation and poor penetration.

Incidently, I've used a similar test by placing an elk femur in front of my jugs. A heavy elk bone really taxes a bullet and I can imagine their tests work well indeed.

I have read of legitimate .458 WM failures but the cases I've read about in all likelihood did not involve 500 grain FMJ's at 1900 or so fps, but rather much lower and/or unknown velocities caused by squib loads which in turn were caused by clumping ball powder used in early loads. I am not saying that the penetration of a good solid at 1900 fps is the same as one at 2300 fps since if the bullet will stand it, the added velocity should increase penetration.

Again, I am not saying that a 540 grain cast bullet shot at 1550 fps is the world's standard in elephant stoppers, but I would not be surprised to hear that when presented with a broadside bull buffalo it would shoot clean through it.

You've got me really curious, though!

--------------------

DarylS
.700 member

#92098 - 20/12/07 03:41 AM

We sometimes fail to recognize what has transpired in the past, when we think of modern equipment for large and dangerous game. I acknowledge here and now that an Indian Elephant is not the same as an African variety, however these results are interesting.
; Back prior to 1860, Samual Baker once wrote in "The Field" magazine, referring to a 14 bore double rifle, that: " A ball of that size, if hardened somewhat and is driven by 4 to 4 1/2 drams of fine powder, will go through and through an elephant's head. I do not think this 'calibre' can be improved upon."
; We know he used much larger bores later, in Africa, 4 bore at least, and maybe 2, but was he happy with the 'little' 14 bore in India for epephant and buffalo? I think so. Most 14's of that era used a 15 bore ball, roughly .675" in diameter - about 470gr. in slightly hardened lead, bit heavier if murcury was used for hardening, when driven at a mere 1,400fps max, would exit an elephant's head or at least go side to side. Baker did prefer the side brain shot with this 'calibre'.
: Now, who thinks a .458" bullet of 100gr. MORE weight, will not penetrate to the brain? While I wouldn't use it for such, I think perhaps it is quite capable - especially if driven to 1,850fps.

--------------------
Daryl

9.3x57
.450 member

#92161 - 20/12/07 02:03 PM

"There was a Big Bullet from BC,

Through a pachaderm's head it shot easy,

though cast only of lead,

it didn't stop in the head,

but flew clear on across the Zambeze."

--------------------

Sarg
.400 member

#92176 - 20/12/07 03:53 PM

The 500 Ne New England weights 8 3/4 LBS now ! a little better with the heavy laminated stock
One shot recoil headache was the norm with full Nitro loads ! Silly really !
Like I said 45 cal 500gr @ 2000 will go into & out Ele brain ,it will work with the right bullet !
The 458 Win is under rated bit like 308 Win ,not flashy but gets the job done on the right size game
45/70 will do it to ,but why would you take one all the way to Africa when there are much better rounds to be had,unless you have already shot plenty or handy capping you self !( like pistol & bow hunting )

Thanks for the yarn !

9.3x57
.450 member

#92303 - 21/12/07 01:00 PM

Hoppdoc:

The mule finally arrived with my copy of G&A and the article referenced. {Yup, I'm a bit remote.}

It IS a weird article, and I cannot exactly say what he is thinking. The long dissertation on mathematical ballistic "killing power" formulas always leaves me dry and I thought that sort of discussion had long ago been deep-sixed.

I've always seen the Marlin 1895 as very snappyhandling, well-balanced, powerful repeater for medium game and bear. I really like mine, and I've had some very memorable adventures with it. But as a backup gun for African DG? Well, no. I've never thought of it for such an application.

I guess if he wants to use his as a "PH" rifle as he says, I am eager to hear what he has to say in a couple years.

--------------------

allenday
.333 member

Reged: 18/04/04
      #92346 - 21/12/07 09:55 PM

Let's see.........the U.S Army bailed out on the 45-70 in favor of the 30/40 Krag and then went to the 30-06 well over a century ago. And even though it's now obsolete for military use, the 30-06 is far more versatile than the 45-70 is as a hunting cartridge in just about every way.

Then along comes the 458 Win. Mag. in 1956, and almost immediately that cartridge became suspect due to the fact that it's short on case-capacity.

And now the 45-70, which doesn't shoot as flat and isn't as accurate as the 30-06, and doesn't have the case capacity of the suspect 458 Win. Mag. is the modern do-everything wunder cartridge, huh?

I don't think so.........not for any hunting purpose that I'll ever need to fill. In fact, I've been so turned-off by some of this 45-70 froth in recent years that I'll never own one, pure and simple.

AD

DarylS
.700 member

Re: "45-70 is the way to go from Ele to T Rex " [Re: allenday]
      #92354 - 22/12/07 12:51 AM

Like I hinted in my last post - I'm sure they're not saying it is the best at the job, but that it will do the job if handled and loaded properly. Today's bullets and powders make some ctg. absolutely amazing.
; The reason the military replaced round balls driven by black powder with elongated lead bullets driven by black powder was due to the elongated bullet's greater range. The reason big lead bullets driven by black powder were replaced with small diameter jacketed bullets driven by smokeless powders was due to the higher velocities generated, which gave greater range.
: I think it's absolutely amazing that a round that was developed 135 years ago, is more popular today than it was 75 years ago. Loaded to it's potential in a modern rifle, it is not only an effective round but even more so due to powders and bullets available. Why not be happy for those who champion it? You can speculate all you want, but that big chunk of lead or jacketed bullet is effective on heavy game. Elmer Keith once said he'd rather face a charging brown bear with a .50 Sharps, than any other American round. This was post .458 WM's introduction. Elmer also noted the load - 170gr. 1F and a 700gr. paper patched bullet. I had one and it indeed did hold 170gr. of 1F ICI black powder. It kicked a bit. He's speaking of sub-1,400fps velocity. One of John Taylor's favourite AFrican loads was a 480g.r paper patched bullet driven by 85gr. of black powder for 1,380fps. In a world of 3,000fps + velocities, it is sometimes difficult to understand just how much is actually needed, given sufficient bullet weight.
: I haven't read the article referred to in G&A so I will have to guess that the author didn't say it was better or more effective than the normal African stopping rounds, or that it would make a good back up rifle for a PH. If so, then I'm glad I don't read G&A any more as the BS is just getting deeper.
: Most people who are down on the .45/70, have never fired one or shot game with one. Most people who bad-mouth the .458 WM, have never owned one or shot an animal with one. Some people just need something to be negative about.

--------------------
Daryl

9.3x57
.450 member

#92356 - 22/12/07 01:25 AM

Quote:

And even though it's now obsolete for military use, the 30-06 is far more versatile than the 45-70 is as a hunting cartridge in just about every way.

Absolutely true. Did somebody say the .45-70 was more versatile than the .30-06? I didn't, and I can't find a post here on this thread of anyone who did.

Then along comes the 458 Win. Mag. in 1956, and almost immediately that cartridge became suspect due to the fact that it's short on case-capacity.

Interesting statement, as that cartridge really and truly did have some problems early on. But were those actually due to a muzzle velocity of 1950 fps to 2000 fps or due to the provable failures caused by early powder clumping, bad bullets, etc. I have read so much argument over this subject that I am really curious as to what the facts are. Many with vast experience with the .458 even in its early years had nothing but praise for it. The actual failures I have read about were due to poor load practices or bad early powders. Your point is well-taken as far as early ammo is concerned, but is the .458 considered a "dog" now...?

And now the 45-70...is the modern do-everything wunder cartridge, huh?

Again, not sure where you are getting this stuff. Has somebody here said this? Or is this statement based on other threads? I've never suggested such a thing at all. I've asked if anyone has extensive experience shooting heavy game with something along the lines of a .45/540/1550 load. Have you seen failures with such a load? Please, if you have, I for one am all ears. I'd love to read of documented results with such a load on Aussie or African buff or US bison or even stock cattle or other heavy game. You are making some wild accusations. Maybe they are based on proclamations from .45-70 devotees from other threads? If so, please specify, since I don't read anybody doing what you accuse here on this thread.

I don't think so.........not for any hunting purpose that I'll ever need to fill. In fact, I've been so turned-off by some of this 45-70 froth in recent years that I'll never own one, pure and simple.AD

I won't comment on your needs or interests for your purposes as that is your business and you know it better than I. However, you have ranted on in condemnation of a cartridge about which you admittedly have no experience and you have not brought to the discussion any reference to failures of the cartridge on heavy game. I have no reason to proclaim the .45-70 to be anything it is not. And I am not, nor have I ever said that it is the equal of many of the various NE cartridges. However, I also will not say that it is a three-legged mule in a horse race in the absence of extensive experience or trustworthy reports of others.

I am, as stated, very curious about the performance of a load that could be functioned thru a Marlin and that might consistently endanger animals on the far side of a big bull buffalo. IF that is true, that is significant in my opinion. If such a load is a loser, then let's hear it. Now I am beginning to see why SARG was hesitant about posting anything positive about the .45-70.

A question: Does the "modern .45-70" start a fire between "traditionalists" who reject it because of its looks and "experimenters" who keep trying to find a spot for it? I do not care much for Fadala's math, but if he can absolutely demonstrate that a gun like a Marlin 1895 can safely and consistently lay buff and elephant low then that is an interesting find. To me, the fascinating thing about guns is in what they do. Or don't do as the case may be.

--------------------

allenday
.333 member

Reged: 18/04/04
      #92364 - 22/12/07 03:49 AM

I'll rant about what I want to rant about, with or without your approval, pure and simple.

Point being: The 458 Win. Mag. has had a checkered career in its own right, yet it's considerably faster and more versatile than the 45-70 is, and I have personally used it on dangerous African big game such as buffalo and hippo, as well as plainsgame. It's a better dangerous game cartridge than the 45-70 is (it couldn't be any other way), and the faster 458s and 416s are better yet. So the 45-70 loses that battle by default.

Same with the 30-06; for 98% (at least) of the world's non-dangerous big game, it not only shoots flatter, but it'll prove to be more versatile than the 45-70 day-in and day-out, and it'll kill just as well.

I don't have to be a 45-70 user in order to be able to connect that set of dots, nor do I have to have experience with the 338 Federal in order to know that I'd rather have the 338 Win. Mag., which I have used considerably.

Nor do I have to know Billery Klinton, for that matter, in order to know that she's not someone that I want anything to do with.......

AD

Tatume
.400 member

Reged: 09/06/07
Loc: Gloucester, Va USA
      #92368 - 22/12/07 04:33 AM

Quote:

The 458 Win. Mag. has had a checkered career in its own right, yet it's considerably faster and more versatile than the 45-70 is, and I have personally used it on dangerous African big game such as buffalo and hippo, as well as plainsgame. It's a better dangerous game cartridge than the 45-70 is (it couldn't be any other way), and the faster 458s and 416s are better yet. So the 45-70 loses that battle by default.

Although many people believe faster is better, I'm not one of them. In my opinion, 2100 fps or less is ideal for penetration on heavy beasts, and 2700 fps is best for medium game. I will admit though, that I've shot an awful lot of deer and hogs with 45 cal, 300 gr bullets (including the 45-70) started between 2100 and 2500 fps. Not one has taken another step.

Merry Christmas

9.3x57
.450 member

#92369 - 22/12/07 04:34 AM

AD:

You are wrong on all counts:

First, according to the rules, you must get my permission to rant. If I'm busy, you can ask Daryl.

Second, everyone knows the .45-70 is a better elephant cartridge than the .577 NE. It's also a better anti-aircraft cartridge than the 88mm Flak, too. The .45-70 also shoots flatter than the .300 Weatherby, kicks less than the .243, and is quieter than a .22. EVERYONE agrees with all of this.

Yes, and the .45-70 is going to replace the 5.56 as the NATO standard cartridge, too. Hoppdoc said that. And let's not forget that Daryl sank a German U-Boat in 1943 with a 500 grain cast bullet launched at 1100 fps from the .45-70. And I've killed 574 ground squirrels with the .45-70 in a Trapdoor Springfield with a 16x Unertl scope mounted on it, the same gun I loaned to Sam Fadala who used it to shoot 1000 elephants after slaying 17 blue whales off the coast of Patagonia. All of this is fact and all attested to in the thread. Marrakai mentioned he has a belt-fed .45-70 that he used to shoot enough kangaroos to feed the entire dog populations of Sydney, Perth and East Timor but he deleted that post after you entered yours.

Or hey, maybe you should read the thread again. I think you might find that nobody is saying any of what you are blowing a brain vein about...

--------------------

hoppdoc
.400 member

#92393 - 22/12/07 10:29 AM

Met with a PH-PF hunting Chewore who recently went after Buff witha client with a lever action 50 cal. Needless to say the shot wasn't perfect and the result was poor. He had to go into the thick stuff, get charged, shoot the Buff again toput it down.

Asked about the lever action he just hung his head and groaned then said he hoped that wouldn't ever happen again and his future hunters would both shoot better AND handle a larger caliber satisfactory!!!

Interesting!!!

--------------------

451whitworth
.224 member

Reged: 30/11/07
Loc: MO, USA
      #92398 - 22/12/07 11:15 AM

i'm sure any DG PH has had to straighten out his share of situations where the clients ammo selection, caliber, or shot placement wasn't ideal. if someone made a bad shot with a levergun it's certainly not the rifles fault.

hoppdoc
.400 member

Re: "45-70 is the way to go from Ele to T Rex " [Re: 451whitworth]
      #92411 - 22/12/07 01:47 PM

I think by "larger" he meant bigger as in more capacity like
standard African cartridges, 375H&H,404, 416,458,470,etc--I presume he felt these more effective with more leeway for a less than perfect shot than the levergun.His own gun was a 470 Double.

Yes and when he spoke he did mention "shooting better" before mention of any gun type!!

--------------------

Edited by hoppdoc (22/12/07 01:48 PM)

smicha6551
.275 member

Reged: 09/08/05
Loc: NYC & Kuwait
      #92425 - 22/12/07 05:23 PM

If that .50 lever rifle was is .50 Alaskan, I'd put all the blame on the shooter, not the rifle or cartridge. Going bigger wouldn't help if it made him shoot worse (other than a total miss not requiring going into the bush) if anything I'd rather him shoot less gun that he can actually shoot well with. .50 Alaskan isn't .45-70.

9.3x57
.450 member

Re: "45-70 is the way to go from Ele to T Rex " [Re: smicha6551]
      #92436 - 23/12/07 01:01 AM

Quote:

If that .50 lever rifle was is .50 Alaskan, I'd put all the blame on the shooter, not the rifle or cartridge. Going bigger wouldn't help if it made him shoot worse (other than a total miss not requiring going into the bush) if anything I'd rather him shoot less gun that he can actually shoot well with. .50 Alaskan isn't .45-70.

Smicha:

Wake up!!! You entirely miss the point!!

It is obvious that an unknown .50 caliber levergun shooting unknown bullets at an unknown velocity under unknown conditions with unknown shot placement is all we need to know that the 540/1550 load in the .45-70 is no good for anything.

I once shot a stray barn cat in the head with a .44 Special. It ran away after taking the shot. That too proves the .45-70 is no good for deer hunting. I once missed a deer with the .303 British. That proves that the .300 Weatherby won't kill a pronghorn...

--------------------

smicha6551
.275 member

Reged: 09/08/05
Loc: NYC & Kuwait
      #92440 - 23/12/07 04:11 AM

That's it - forget .450/400 Nitro, I'm going for this:
http://www.anzioironworks.com/MAG-FED-20MM-RIFLE.htm

Sarg
.400 member

Re: "45-70 is the way to go from Ele to T Rex " [Re: smicha6551]
      #92460 - 23/12/07 09:06 AM

9.3X57 !

I just love your cheeky wit, but you are correct on all charges !

Some folks should just do more hunting !

allenday , did the 458 Win not work for you ?
you do need a little faith in that your bullet will kill what you shoot it at !

DarylS
.700 member

#92483 - 23/12/07 01:19 PM

Quote:

Needless to say the shot wasn't perfect and the result was poor.
Interesting!!!

; This statement should have read: "Needless to say the result was poor because the hunter was a lousey shot. It wouldn't have mattered what he shot the buff in the guts with."

; As to the premise that .375" or the others have "more capacity" - which capacity? The .50 Alaskan,(4 or 5 rounds) properly loaded is in the same playing field as the .458 WMag.- (same case capacity, too, just a bigger bore, bigger smack at the same pressures) and is certainly better than a .375 in a fight. No, I haven't used one on buffalo. I don't need to - it's obvious to anyone who's shot large game with both - I have. That .50 Alaskan is one great round for hunting big game. What I've found is that most people who buy guided hunts are not hunters, not shooters and many don't even know how to remove the bolt from their bolt rifle. Makes me wonder if they've ever cleaned it. Mnay can not hit a standard 100 yard target at 50 yards unless they are shooting off a bench complete with sand bags. Some hunters are very fine shots, but poor game shots. The shakes really screws them up. Some are medicre target shots, yet on game have shown themselves to be cool, calm and collected and hit perfectly, every time. The bullets always striking within 2-1/2" of their desired impact zone. That will kill deer, moose and elk every time.
; Is that why some people buy doubles? [;)]

--------------------
Daryl

buckbrush
.300 member

Reged: 23/08/07
Loc: Alberta
      #92556 - 24/12/07 04:53 PM

The fellow with the lever action .50 may have been the editor of Rifle and Handloader magazine. He took an 86 replica in 50-110 by Turnbull to Africa. If I remember correctly he used blackpowder or blackpowder equivalent loads topped with an RCBS .50 cal cast bullet.

DarylS
.700 member

Re: "45-70 is the way to go from Ele to T Rex " [Re: buckbrush]
      #92584 - 25/12/07 04:15 AM

It it was Scovil - he should have known better. The Winchester 50-110 and the .45/90 as well, have too slow rifling twists for the length of the bullets used in them. They were meant for very short-for-calibre bullets, which didn't help matters. This resulted in poor penetration, such that the Winchester .45 and .50 cal rifles were the laughing stock of the buffalo plains. RCBS made or makes a mould for a .510" 450gr. which, if driven 2,000fps or over, cast of WW metal which was then hardened, would have done the job given proper shooting. Trouble is, the 450gr. bullet is too long for the 32"(.45/90) to 56"(.50-110) rifling (jury is out on the twist actually used) twist of those leverguns. I have seen 'duplication' .50 Wnchester barrels for sale for the .50/95 and .50/110 that have 56" twists. This is a round ball twist in .50 to .60 calibre, not a slug twist.
; The .50 Alaskan with a proper 15" to 24" twist is very much different than the .50-110 Winchester in both power and penetration. The high velocty load for the .50-110 was a short light 350gr. at sometihg like 2,200fps, while a strong lever gun will do about 2,000fps with a 450gr. .50 bullet. Chambered in a strong, single shot action, the Alaskan will do about 2,100fps wihth a 520gr.
; Buckbrush, I doubt this was the incident mentioned. Could have been though, you just never know.

--------------------
Daryl

451whitworth
.224 member

#92611 - 25/12/07 12:09 PM

Quote:

It it was Scovil - he should have known better. The Winchester 50-110 and the .45/90 as well, have too slow rifling twists for the length of the bullets used in them. They were meant for very short-for-calibre bullets, which didn't help matters. This resulted in poor penetration, such that the Winchester .45 and .50 cal rifles were the laughing stock of the buffalo plains. RCBS made or makes a mould for a .510" 450gr. which, if driven 2,000fps or over, cast of WW metal which was then hardened, would have done the job given proper shooting. Trouble is, the 450gr. bullet is too long for the 32"(.45/90) to 56"(.50-110) rifling (jury is out on the twist actually used) twist of those leverguns. I have seen 'duplication' .50 Wnchester barrels for sale for the .50/95 and .50/110 that have 56" twists. This is a round ball twist in .50 to .60 calibre, not a slug twist.
; The .50 Alaskan with a proper 15" to 24" twist is very much different than the .50-110 Winchester in both power and penetration. The high velocty load for the .50-110 was a short light 350gr. at sometihg like 2,200fps, while a strong lever gun will do about 2,000fps with a 450gr. .50 bullet. Chambered in a strong, single shot action, the Alaskan will do about 2,100fps wihth a 520gr.
; Buckbrush, I doubt this was the incident mentioned. Could have been though, you just never know.

Scovill's rifle was built by Doug Turnbull Restorations from a original .45 caliber 1886. it was rebarreled with a 1-20" twist half octagon/round barrel from Montana Rifleman. he hunted with Martin Pieters of Rann Safaris in Botswana and yes he burned blackpowder in that rifle with that RCBS 450gr. bullet you mention Daryl. i have the DVD "10 days in africa" from wolfe publishing with Scovill's buffalo hunt and some plains game. he shoots that buffalo 6 or 7 times and you can see the dust flying off the buff with each hit. he wrote the buff hunt up in Successful Hunter mag and said the most bullets exited and were all in the vitals FWIW. Daryl, i see in quite a few posts you really like the 50 alaskan. it is an excellent close range thumper. i have a Browning 1886 converted to 50-110 with a 1-20" twist and using 50 Alaskan load data i can easily drive a 525gr. LBT LFN 2000+ fps from the 26" barrel. that cresent butt plate maakes it no fun though.

DarylS
.700 member

Re: "45-70 is the way to go from Ele to T Rex " [Re: 451whitworth]
      #92634 - 26/12/07 02:50 AM

451- Thanks for the correction on Scovil's rifle. I knew Turnbull did the restoration, but didn't know it was re-barrreled. Even the Sharps rifles had too slow a twist for long range shooting with the 450gr. and 500gr. PP bullets. Although stabil on paper out to 300yards or so, they fialed to maintain accuracy much beyond that range. At 36", their twist was too slow. This is why the .50/90 Sharps had a poor reputation for long range shooting (past about 350 yards). Had Sharps put a 24" twist on it, it would have taken buff at 500 or further, just like the .40's and .45's & would have maintained it's popularity longer. Many buff hunters still preferred it. My .50 Alaskan, with a 24" twist and 550gr. bullets gave me a 10 shot group of under 10" at a taped off 450 yards, using lead bullets, BPowder, tang rear and blade front sight, elbow rest off the truck's hood.
; Crescent butts can be a pain. Of course, the English shotgun-butt is the best for kickers that don't have big soft Chinese pillows on them for pads.

--------------------
Daryl

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
      #92683 - 26/12/07 07:02 PM

I never see all the controversy in using different sorts of calibres and or rifles on a safari.

Use what you want, if it is legal and if the outfitter and PH is willing. But live with the consequences.

Often guys with a lot of experience want to try something different. They want to prove something to themselves or to others and do it differently. Hopefully they understand the limitations of what they might be planning to do.

I don't understand though why some people insist that others agree with their often marginal choices. People should make their own decisions but not necessarily expect others to agree with them. These ".45/70" debates are often phrased in that way, as an "ideal" or "the way to go". I know a .45/70 will kill a cape buffalo OK if shot with an appropriate bullet and the right bullet placement. A hunter I shared a camp in the Matersi with tried penetration tests on an elephant skull when I was there and he at least thought the penetration was acceptable to try it on a live ele one day. I hope he got his chance.

But a lot of it is still "stunt" hunting. How many would do the same, hunt ele or buffalo etc with a bow, a BP rifle, a .45/70 if not backed up by a PH with a "real" rifle and calibre.

Food for thought.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

9.3x57
.450 member

Re: "45-70 is the way to go from Ele to T Rex " [Re: NitroX]
      #92695 - 27/12/07 01:13 AM

Perfectly stated, Nitro.

I was not aware of ".45-70 Wars" till informed of their existence in this thread {and a PM sent by a member}.

I do not understand why some want to suppress the investigation of improved loadings of any cartridge, so the blowup over .45-70 experimental or other heavy loads really left me confused.

Having said that, I have never said, and still won't say, that the .45-70 is a .458 Lott, or is comparable to it merely because they share the same groove depth. For example, a .30-30 is a fine cartridge for some purposes but it is no .300 Winchester Mag. Having said that, it would seem ridiculous to condemn the desire to improve the .30-30.

As for the .45-70 itself, where does it fall performance-wise?

Based on my use on game and in test media of the .45-70 and .375 H&H Magnum, with expanding bullets {I do not need or use FMJ's and can't comment on them} and using top loads in both, they appear equals at close range. So maybe there is a tiny bit of "disagreement" with you? If the PH says go ahead and use softs, I don't see why the use of a 9.3x74R, 9.3x62 or .375 H&H Mag on buffalo would be normal and the use of the .45-70 would be a "stunt", though backup with all of them is generally assumed. Use of the .45-70 would thus not be a stunt, but not a cartridge to use without backup, either. Onviously the .45-70 is not a versatile cartridge like the .375 H&H is, but for close range shooting, it is no .32-20, either...

And with proper solids, maybe they too make the .45-70 the equal of the 9.3's and .375 up close, that I do not know as I haven't tested solids in the .45-70. The famed Wally Johnson used a .375 throughout his career, so maybe the argument should be "Is a heavy .45-70 as good up close as the .375 H&H?", not "Is it as good as the .458?"

Honestly, I thought this post was being handled well, without hyperbolic worship of the silly cartridge, till it was condemned wholesale. Your post here is very helpful.

Maybe I am wrong, but I see a forum such as you have here as a place where experimentation and investigation and subsequent discussion can flourish, and where unknowns can be discussed based on the knowns. If a fellow says "I don't think that will work, based on my experience with this" I listen up. But when a fellow says "It's no good but I haven't used it" I get bored with such a forum fast. They are a dime a dozen...

On that last note, and NOT particularly applying to this thread, for some time I thought this place was different than some others. But there appears to be a member or two who though very knowledgeable in some areas, constantly enters threads by belittling and denigrating others and by acting totally belligerently. Interestingly enough, such belligerence appears to frequently involve areas of weakness. I myself enjoy a debate but it is becoming more and more obvious to me over time as I read many posts {lots of which I do not even enter} that this like other forums, seemingly has its protected Sacred Cows and Heroes and since constant belligerence from any member makes for boring reading to me, it is easy to drift away, which is I suspect the normal way of things.

Thanks for your excellent summation here. You always have a valuable word to add.

--------------------

Edited by 9ThreeXFifty7 (27/12/07 02:18 AM)

rigbymauser
.400 member

Reged: 15/05/05
Loc: Denmark
      #92696 - 27/12/07 02:11 AM

Quote:

AD:

Second, everyone knows the .45-70 is a better elephant cartridge than the .577 NE. It's also a better anti-aircraft cartridge than the 88mm Flak, too. The .45-70 also shoots flatter than the .300 Weatherby, kicks less than the .243, and is quieter than a .22. EVERYONE agrees with all of this.

Yes, and the .45-70 is going to replace the 5.56 as the NATO standard cartridge, too. Hoppdoc said that. And let's not forget that Daryl sank a German U-Boat in 1943 with a 500 grain cast bullet launched at 1100 fps from the .45-70. And I've killed 574 ground squirrels with the .45-70 in a Trapdoor Springfield with a 16x Unertl scope mounted on it, the same gun I loaned to Sam Fadala who used it to shoot 1000 elephants after slaying 17 blue whales off the coast of Patagonia. All of this is fact and all attested to in the thread. Marrakai mentioned he has a belt-fed .45-70 that he used to shoot enough kangaroos to feed the entire dog populations of Sydney, Perth and East Timor.

Yep ...the 45-70 does it all.

Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
      #92697 - 27/12/07 02:17 AM

Quote:

Perfectly stated, Nitro.

I was not aware of ".45-70 Wars" till informed of their existence in this thread {and a PM sent by a member}.

I do not understand why some want to suppress the investigation of improved loadings of any cartridge, so the blowup over .45-70 experimental or other heavy loads really left me confused.

Honestly, I thought this post was being handled well, without hyperbolic worship of the silly cartridge, till it was condemned wholesale. Your post here is very helpful.

Maybe I am wrong, but I see a forum such as you have here as a place where experimentation and investigation and subsequent discussion can flourish, and where unknowns can be discussed based on the knowns. If a fellow says "I don't think that will work, based on my experience with this" I listen up. But when a fellow says "It's no good but I haven't used it" I get bored with such a forum fast. They are a dime a dozen...

On that last note, and NOT particularly applying to this thread, for some time I thought this place was different than some others. But there appears to be a member or two who though very knowledgeable in some areas, constantly enters threads by belittling and denigrating others and by acting totally belligerently. Interestingly enough, such belligerence appears to frequently involve areas of weakness. I myself enjoy a debate but it is becoming more and more obvious to me over time as I read many posts {lots of which I do not even enter} that this like other forums, seemingly has its protected Sacred Cows and Heroes and since constant belligerence from any member makes for boring reading to me, it is easy to drift away, which is I suspect the normal way of things.

Thanks for your excellent summation here. You always have a valuable word to add.

**Just read an article recently by Robertson who stated that in Zimbabwe and some other countries in Africa--there are restrictions placed on weapons used based on muzzle energy. I did not know this--I always thought it was just a minumum of .375 H&H --however according to Robertson, 3500 ft/lbs of energy are the minimum --used to be 4000 however was lower a bit to include some of the 9.2 chamberings..

AS to the posts you refer to--I agree with your summation.. it is very interesting to read someone who has been there and done that..but the meaningless dribble of just wanting to be heard it teadious at best and boring to boot...IMHO..

Ripp

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
      #92700 - 27/12/07 02:38 AM

Quote:

... on buffalo would be normal and the use of the .45-70 would be a "stunt", though backup with all of them is generally assumed. Use of the .45-70 would thus not be a stunt, but not a cartridge to use without backup, either.

My comment on some hunts being "stunts" is not to belittle the hunts or what people want to do. If it is legal and the PH is happy people should go for it if they want.

My definition of "stunt" in this case is to use someone less than what is generally considered adequate. I think the people that say hunt a buffalo with a bow have a lot of guts just like someone who might want to use a BP muzzle loader or a lever action or whatever. Hey mankind used to hunt these beasts once with spears. A "stunt man" is someone usually who is a professional and does something dangerous but perhaps with careful weighing of the risks and capabilities. If a 6.5x54 can kill a buff in certain circumstances so can many other calibres. But what if for example the circumstances are not ideal for the choice of hunting tool eg if one encounters a buffalo or elephant at close range and a less than ideal shot has to bemade, say in a charge? Then one would need to make do with one has or the PH would have to do the shooting.

Regarding a .375 or similar and up in size and power I would feel quite happy to hunt on my own if that was possible in a legal framework today. It is certainly possible with Aussie water buffalo. My guide during a water buffalo cull only had a .303 by the way and I didn't feel any worry about being uner-gunned with a 9.3mm. Most of the well used calibres are pretty well proven in the majority of circumstances given a certain chance factor. However today as you say there is usually a PH armed differently to 'help out' if needed with whatever a client uses.

These ".45/70" debates have raged over the internet forums a lot of many people react to them as a result perhaps a little more harshly or quickly. Some of the previous proponents too have simply done it to create a stir. Not saying that is the case here however. That might need to be taken into account too when the topic comes up every now and again.

Garrett Bullets, and hunts using their projectiles make some claims too which might sometimes IMO be a bit of a stretch. However as I said I KNOW a .45/70 with a 540 gr Flat nosed hardened bullet at a suitable velocity will kill a buffalo with a single shot. I wasn't there at the hunt, but did hear all about it the evening of the hunt. For the guys and girls that want to do it, why not? One question is have the proponents or antagonists actually done what is being proposed ie first hand experience, or is conjecture?

I know there was a plan to use a spear to hunt water buffalo and hopefully the story of that will one day be factually reported. Now IMO that takes real guts to even consider! On Christmas Day I was speaking to a relative about one of his encounters with an enraged buffalo. He was unarmed and dodged and ran from an angry water buffalo for forty minutes before getting away. Also I respect many others opinions I know a member or two here who are very experienced and have once used "sub-standard" calibres and now recommend quite considerably more oomph in calibres after difficult encounters. Always good to take on good advice.

I haven't read much of the posts on this thread but I think sometimes we all over-analyse things too much instead of just having fun and doing more hunting. But discussions and debates are also fun and educational and allow all of us whom aren't out hunting as much as we would like to still participate in "hunting" activities be they hopefully friendly arguments.

I think people should just have fun doing their hunting, it is meant to be fun, not serious, use what they are happy to use, but also live with the results. "Spice" and variety in life is often good.

BTW I don't pretend to have any sort of expert knowledge, just my personal opinion.

Have fun, both hunting and in polite hunting discussions.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

DarylS
.700 member

#92705 - 27/12/07 03:00 AM

Quote:

Perfectly stated, Nitro.

Having said that, I have never said, and still won't say, that the .45-70 is a .458 Lott, or is comparable to it merely because they share the same groove depth.

As for the .45-70 itself, where does it fall performance-wise?

Based on my use on game and in test media of the .45-70 and .375 H&H Magnum, with expanding bullets {I do not need or use FMJ's and can't comment on them} and using top loads in both, they appear equals at close range.

I don't see why the use of a 9.3x74R, 9.3x62 or .375 H&H Mag on buffalo would be normal and the use of the .45-70 would be a "stunt", though backup with all of them is generally assumed. And with proper solids, maybe they too make the .45-70 the equal of the 9.3's and .375 up close, that I do not know as I haven't tested solids in the .45-70.
: The famed Wally Johnson used a .375 throughout his career, so maybe the argument should be "Is a heavy .45-70 as good up close as the .375 H&H?", not "Is it as good as the .458?"

: Honestly, I thought this post was being handled well, without hyperbolic worship of the silly cartridge, till it was condemned wholesale. Your post here is very helpful.

: Thanks for your excellent summation here. You always have a valuable word to add.

; Excellent points, 9.3x57 and Nitro.
; Taking a magazine article writer exactly to his written word can leade to long discussions and inflamed tempers. They, some at least, are prone to hyperventilating in script due to getting paid by the word and the writer of the article in question is just one of those 'amplifiers'. I pretty much disregard this drivel and look to the meat of the article forgetting that some people's personalities are very much more 'detail oriented' than mine and they get offended or combative over what I feel are somewhat minor or inconsequential 'exagerations', 'claims', 'ommisions' or downright 'errors', however small or immaterial in my eyes.
; As 9.3 also noted in his last post, I tried to look at the round's value compared to other seemingly "OK" cartridges and just couldn't understand what the 'fuss' was all about. My own meager experience with it and similar rounds and loadings told me the aricle was basically sound. We know John Barnsness shot a bull Cape Buffalo with a Marlin .45/70 using a seemingly 'light' 400gr. solid, at a velocity that is a full 200 fps lower than the ctg. is capable of, yet killed it and the cow behind it. The bull apparently needed more than the first shot, however, the second recipient of that shot was dead - with one even more expended bullet. Now, given that instance with a proper bullet, what part of the .45/70 makes it 'not enough gun' if used with proper bullets? I kinda disagree with 9.3 about the 'stunt' bit. I'd say exiting one buffalo and smashing the shoulder of another behind it is a pretty good 'stunt', especially when you consider the 'origins' of that ctg. runs back 135 years.

--------------------
Daryl

peter
removed

Re: "45-70 is the way to go from Ele to T Rex " [Re: NitroX]
      #92712 - 27/12/07 04:52 AM

Quote:

These ".45/70" debates have raged over the internet forums a lot of many people react to them as a result perhaps a little more harshly or quickly.

well after the yule stress is gone, i went back and reread the tread.

gentelmen im sorry, i will try to read the stuff i write before i post it.

best regards

peter

have a safe new year

BFaucett
.333 member

Reged: 13/01/04
Loc: Houston, Texas
      #92721 - 27/12/07 09:17 AM

Quote:

... We know John Barnsness shot a bull Cape Buffalo with a Marlin .45/70 using a seemingly 'light' 400gr. solid, at a velocity that is a full 200 fps lower than the ctg. is capable of, yet killed it and the cow behind it. ...

Not that it matters that much but I think it was Brian Pearce and not John Barsness.

Cheers!
-Bob F.

451whitworth
.224 member

Re: "45-70 is the way to go from Ele to T Rex " [Re: BFaucett]
      #92742 - 27/12/07 12:45 PM

this is the best and most civil discussion of this i topic i've seen. i like the idea of the Garret cartridges loaded to 35,000psi and not trying to max out at 40,000. my experience with lever action 45-70's (one Marlin, one Browning 1886) is that the brass case expands at the base way more than i am comfortable with when loaded to the limit. the rifles don't wimper with such loads but i don't like it. i have found brass life way to short when run at the redline in my leverguns. i don't know if both rifles have generous chambers and i have never played with a Browning or Ruger single shot to compare before/after case dimensions. if anyone has that info on the single shots please share. i tend to use the 45-70 in the way writer Ken Waters does. as he states "let it be said that the 45-70 cartridge, even with full power loads, is not the equal of a .458 magnum nor should any attempt be made to make it so." i like this discussion because it involves the people here who have actually hunted game bigger than deer. happy holidays

SubDoc
.224 member

Reged: 30/11/05
Loc: Silverdale Washington USA
      #92782 - 28/12/07 06:47 AM

Using that logic it follows that no hunter ever got killed when using a 470 NE or other "accepted" cartridge/gun combo.

--------------------
What they could not do at gunpoint they now accomplish in courts of law with men in black robes.

xring
.224 member

Reged: 03/03/07
Loc: Michigan, USA
Re: "45-70 is the way to go from Ele to T Rex " [Re: SubDoc]
      #94906 - 22/01/08 03:54 AM

Okay, Folks let's alter this topic just a tad. I have read most of the posts and find the discussion very stimulating. Using the same general parameters i.e., Buffalo, heavy bullets and moderate velocities, can you translate all the comments to the 450 Marlin in a 10" barreled Eagle Arms BFR handgun? I will be heading for Mozambique in the not too distant future with buffalo as the main objective. In trying to sort out what I wanted to carry I considered the 375 H&H, 458 WM, 460 Weatherby or the 450 3 1/4 N.E. in a double and had more or less settled on the latter. That was before I had a sit down conversation with the outfitter/PH with whom I intend to hunt. During the course of the conversation he discovered that I owned a BFR and stated, "I would like you to use that!" I am interested in your thoughts. Also, regardless of whether or not I decide to honor the PH's request/suggestion I would also be interested in any 500-510 grain loads any of you have worked up in this chambering.
Thanks for your thoughts.

JabaliHunter
.400 member

Re: "45-70 is the way to go from Ele to T Rex " [Re: xring]
      #94908 - 22/01/08 05:15 AM

Did you ask this question in Sports Afield?

xausa
.400 member

Reged: 07/03/07
Loc: Tennessee, USA
      #94909 - 22/01/08 05:19 AM

In my humble opinion you should seriously consider engaging another PH. Shooting a handgun (Biggest Finest Revolver) at a Cape buffalo is the heighth of folly. Only slightly less misguided is shooting with an unfamiliar rifle. Whatever rifle you use, the most important factor is being able to hit with it where you want to hit, under the most unexpected and trying of circumstances.

Find the rifle you want and practice, practice, practice. Find an unoccupied area of land, a gravel pit, a clay pit, an abandoned quarry and shoot, shoot, shoot, until you can bring the rifle up from the carry position, release the safety, line up the sights with each other and the target and release the trigger all one sooth motion.

You don't need to expend ammunition at first to do this. You can fix your gaze on a doorknob, on a light switch on any other discrete target at home and practice the same skills with an (verified) empty rifle before you fire the first shot out of doors. The goal is for the sights to align themselves on the target without any conscious effort on your part, just the way you line up on a quail from a flushed covey.

Remember, the PH is not always there and if he is, he may have other things on his mind than protecting you, such as protecting himself.

DarylS
.700 member

Re: "45-70 is the way to go from Ele to T Rex " [Re: BFaucett]
      #94913 - 22/01/08 06:33 AM

Quote:

Quote:

... We know John Barnsness shot a bull Cape Buffalo with a Marlin .45/70 using a seemingly 'light' 400gr. solid, at a velocity that is a full 200 fps lower than the ctg. is capable of, yet killed it and the cow behind it. ...

Not that it matters that much but I think it was Brian Pearce and not John Barsness.

Cheers!
-Bob F.

: You're right, Bob - it was Brian. Thanks for the correction.
: As to loading the .45/70 to equal the .458 - of course that can't be done.
; In my rifles, the .45/70 has handled 40,000 to 43,000cup pressure levels just fine. I think it is definitely possible for a rifle to have what appears to be an oversize chamber - generally when chambered with a brand new reamer. The brass can only expand to the size of the chamber and there is no problem if this expansion is up to .008" from unfired dimensions. .008", while quite a bit, is still within specs for most factory rifles from Rem, Winchester, etc. I feel it's too much but they don't. This is why I like to have my own reamers made to my specs. Too, some sizer dies squeeze the brass down more than necessary, RCBS comes to mind, making the expansion look excessive as well.
; It is normal for any modern round to expand to the chamber size, then contract .001" to allow for extraction.
: I've a friend with a Marlin Stainless Guide Gun, that gets 400gr. Barnes FN's doing 2,007 fps with a load straight from Speer's book - 49gr. Re#7. I know these are supposed to be 34,000CUP or less loads, but his velocity is 150fps to 200fps higher than the book speeds and yet his barrel is 3 1/2" to 5 1/2" shorter(book uses 22" or 24"??). So - his barrel and bullet choice is developing greater pressure and thus higher velocities, but the pressure is still low enough to cause abslutely no signs of high pressure, whatsoever.

--------------------
Daryl

Bramble
.375 member

Reged: 29/07/06
      #94919 - 22/01/08 08:33 AM

xring.

I think that I would take the double and lend the hangun to the PH and tell him that in the event of a charge he is to back you up with it, whilst you climb the nearest tree.
See how he feels about it then.

Regards

xring
.224 member

#94930 - 22/01/08 11:42 AM

No, I did not ask that question in sports afield, but, maybe I should. Why, was there someone else out there with a similar foolhardy notion?
xring

xring
.224 member

Re: "45-70 is the way to go from Ele to T Rex " [Re: xausa]
      #94931 - 22/01/08 11:54 AM

Xausa,
Thank you for your comments. There is no doubt that being able to handle the firearm of choice, no matter what it is, is paramount. And, I agree with the practice, practice, practice suggestion. Ten bears, one with a rifle, one with a bow, and 8 with handguns (41 mag, 30 Herrett and 45-70) attest to the fact that practice and controlled shot placement lead to clean, quick kills, with minimal loss of one's own hide. The buffalo is an entirely different story so I value your comments greatly. Thanks
Xring

xring
.224 member

Re: "45-70 is the way to go from Ele to T Rex " [Re: Bramble]
      #94932 - 22/01/08 12:03 PM

Bramble,
When I stop laughing, I think I will do just that (your suggestion). The PH is currently at the Safari International show in Reno and should be back through here next week and when I see him I will offer to do as you said. You have to keep in mind though that this is a guy who has taken all of the Big 5 with a bow so I am not certain how sympathetic he will be.
Xring

Bramble
.375 member

Reged: 29/07/06
      #94934 - 22/01/08 12:38 PM

Well he must have a big pair of brass ones, so hats off to him, but I bet whoever was backing him up dident have a handgun either :-)

Regards

500grains
.416 member

Reged: 16/02/04
Loc: Salt Lake City, Utah USA
Re: "45-70 is the way to go from Ele to T Rex " [Re: Bramble]
      #94943 - 22/01/08 02:02 PM

After I shot an elephant and a cape buff with a .585 Nyati, I felt it was a stunt of sorts. The cartridge is so powerful that it is at the absolute limit of my recoil tolerance. And at 13.25 pounds, the rifle is heavy enough to make a relatively short 8 mile stalk into quite a bit of exertion. Fortunately my shots were properly placed, so both animals dropped quickly. But I would not recommend the caliber to a serious hunter. It is more of a big bore hobbyist's toy.

JabaliHunter
.400 member

#94960 - 22/01/08 06:44 PM

Quote:

No, I did not ask that question in sports afield, but, maybe I should. Why, was there someone else out there with a similar foolhardy notion?
xring

Somebody asked about using it in the January edition (although now I am not 100% certain it was the Marlin - I need to check) and Kevin Robertson was of the opinion that it was below the legal minimum in the energy department. Having said that, I expect that he was talking about factory loads.

As regards handguns, I'm pretty sure that there is a section on cape buff with handguns in Mark Hamptons book. In the same way as the 45-70 can clearly be made to work with the right loads and guns and in suitable experienced hands, as Daryl_S and 9.3x57 point out, it probably isn't advisable for all but the very experienced and even then you may be asking for trouble...

Certainly wouldn't be high on my list of things to do before I die. If it was, it might have to be a very short list! Hopefully that doesn't re-start the "war"! JMHO

hoppdoc
.400 member

#94974 - 23/01/08 12:33 AM

Think I would pass on such feats on a Buff, be it with a handgun revolver or a cannon like the Nyati.Give me an adequate hammer like a 458/470 to 500NE class rifle to whack 'em with and I would be happy enough and still not feel too inferior to other hunters.

--------------------

DDouble
.300 member

Reged: 17/02/06
Loc: Brazil
      #94978 - 23/01/08 01:28 AM

It is quite interesting that Karamojo Bell shot over a thousand buffalo with .256, 7mm and .303 and said he NEVER had a close call.

To him, buffalo was a straightforward animal do hunt, no fuss about it. A 45-70 would be considered a cannon compared.

Having gun hunted cape buffalo and bowhunted water buffalo (very much bigger) several times in the worst situations in thick jungle, I can´t agree more. I would hunt a buffalo with a 44mag revolver and hard casta bullets anyday. I doubt I would ever loose one if I wouldn´t rush things and make stupid shots.

However, I was in Chewore with Roger Whittall about 10 years ago with a guy (a very nice fellow) who had spent a fortune on an old english double. Then he spent another 6K to have it renewed, and then he shot a buffalo in the gut.

He spent 2 days on the tracks of the bull and the lion following it...

--------------------
Ddouble

xring
.224 member

Re: "45-70 is the way to go from Ele to T Rex " [Re: DDouble]
      #94981 - 23/01/08 02:42 AM

Published data for the 450 Marlin loads out performs the 45/70 factory loads, however I realize that is true to accomodate all the old "trap-doors', etc. that are still out there. My suspicion is that because the 450 case capacity is about 10% less that that of the 45/70 the latter could be handloaded to outperform 450 handloads with the 500+ grain bullets. I have both a contender 45/70 and the BFR 450. I have shot the contender for years with heavy cast bullets (with good success) and have adaquate load data for that gun. I am however having difficulty finding any data on 500gr loads for the 450. I am not quite sure where I ought to start with the 450. I have lots of time to work out such loads prior to my hunt if I can identify a starting point. I would really like to get some 500 gr loads worked up and tested regardless of whether or not I decide to use the BFR on buffalo. Does anyone have such load data for the 450 Marlin?
Thanks to everyone who has commented on my 450 Marlin revolver for buffalo question, you have definitely given me food for thought.
xring

xausa
.400 member

Reged: 07/03/07
Loc: Tennessee, USA
      #94984 - 23/01/08 04:02 AM

I was once in a situation where I shot three buffalo in rapid succession out of a herd of about 40. This was on the advice of my PH, who kept seeing bigger and bigger horn spreads each time I shot. All three ran off after the shot and when the dust cleared we were faced with the prospect of following up three wounded bulls. As it turned out, only one required another shot, and that was questionable. I was shooting my .505, and did not feel in the least overgunned.

The results can be seen at http://www.frappr.com/?a=viewphoto&id=3823381&pid=6889796&myphotos=1

PS That is not my .505 I was holding. It was my Krieghoff .458 which I had just used to adminster the follow up shot on the one I was sitting on.

DarylS
.700 member

#94985 - 23/01/08 05:00 AM

Considering the Marlins are short throated and require rather deeply seated bullets, one would have to use powders such as 4198 or Reloader #7 with the 500gr. in the .450 Marlin.
; My years of experience and mucho experimentation with the .458 2" (1/10" shorter than the .450) has shown it to be worthwhile for the heavier bullets of 500gr. and more. I cannot say what the pressures were, certainly too high for a lever gun. I was pushing 510gr. Winchester solids at 2,060fps with both IMR 4320 and H335. These loads wouldn't fit in the Marlin for sure, but I'm also quite satisfied the Marlin .450 would drive them to 1,700fps. Is that enough? I don't know.
; I should also note the throat of my bolt gun was rather long and delivered ballistics as if the case was 2.2" long, not it's physical length of 2".
; My own choice in a Marlin lever gun would also be the .450Marlin, IF, and only if it comes out in a 22" barrel. The only .450's the stores around here can get are the 18-1/2" jobs - 3 1/2" short for me to desire at this point. If and when the rifle comes out in 22", I'll have one in a heart-beat for a guide gun. The heavy jacketed 350gr. Speers or even the 400gr. Barnes flat noses at just over or around 2,100fps will do any job I would have for them, from slaying in-camp grizzlies to dropping wounded moose.
: The capacity of the .45/70 is a bit greater than the .450 (I don't believe 10%), but then, the .450 will handle max pressure for the gun a bit better than the .45/70 will do, due to the .450's heavier web section, greater base mass.
; I wondered if someone would bring this round up in htis discussion - it's a great ctg. in my books and superior to the older round.
: Both the .45/70 and .450 will deliver 400gr. bullets at inexcess of 2,000fps. Yes the SD is low, so what. If the bullet is up to the job, and the accuracy of the shooter matches that capability, the round will get the job done - as Brian Pierce proved with a 300fps lower velocity load, something in the 1,750 range, I seem to recall.
; Is it the ultimate for buff - he$$ no, but it was certainly adequate and will put out close to 4,000fpe for those who think those numbers mean something.
: It surprises me no end to read where guys would take on buff with a 9.3 with factory ammo, yet shun the more powerful round just because it's not a bolt gun or $20,000 double.
: Adequate bullet, velocity and accuracy are the only criteria necessary. Perhaps those who fight against this round and the .45/70 merely reflect their feelings of inadequacy in the accuracy department - maybe I'm just full of it - hahahaha!

--------------------
Daryl

DarylS
.700 member

#94992 - 23/01/08 05:34 AM

xausa - great pictures, thanks.

--------------------
Daryl

xring
.224 member

#95002 - 23/01/08 10:33 AM

Daryl,
Thanks for the comments. I do own a Marlin 450 Lever gun but that is not what I am referring to. The gun I wish to load for is the Eagle Arms BFR a 5 shot revolver (10 inch barrel). Throating is a concern with the rifle but in this handgun the cylinder is quite long and throating is not a concern. I can set the 500 grainers out quite a ways without interferring with the function of the gun. I don't know why it did not dawn on me before...of course the 458 x 2" data would be a really good place to start.
xring

xring
.224 member

#95003 - 23/01/08 10:38 AM

Xausa,
Was that PH working on early retirement? "shoot another one it's bigger,,,and that one it is bigger yet take it"...wow! Just racking up those trophy fees (smile). Your pics were great. Thanks

reflex264
.275 member

Reged: 20/01/08
Loc: TN
      #95015 - 23/01/08 12:59 PM

http://www.marlinowners.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=22083&highlight=458

http://levergunlovers.com/viewtopic.php?t=1061

http://levergunlovers.com/viewtopic.php?t=2652

http://levergunlovers.com/viewtopic.php?t=2737

http://www.marlinowners.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=17305

Please read all before passing judgement. reflex264

JabaliHunter
.400 member

#95043 - 23/01/08 10:44 PM

Quote:

It surprises me no end to read where guys would take on buff with a 9.3 with factory ammo, yet shun the more powerful round just because it's not a bolt gun or $20,000 double.
: Adequate bullet, velocity and accuracy are the only criteria necessary. Perhaps those who fight against this round and the .45/70 merely reflect their feelings of inadequacy in the accuracy department - maybe I'm just full of it - hahahaha!

Clearly things are possible with modern steel and 45/70 handloads today that were not possible 50 or 100 years ago - your experiments show that.
Its a similar story with the .458 Win's chequered reputation - no doubt its a great round today, but all the writers blow on about the Lott as if powders and technology have stood still all these years...
Whether either is the best choice is a different question though

DarylS
.700 member

#95045 - 24/01/08 12:20 AM

Anyone who would say the .45/70 is 'better' than a .458 WM or any other of the more powerful rounds is being a mite silly.
; My problem is with people who look at 405gr. bullets at 1,320fps or 500gr. bullets at 1,210fps, who judge the round by those black powder ballistics and will not look at what the round has become in modern guise. It is difficult, I suppose, for people with little or no experience with these rounds, to access them in thier 'new' light.
: reflex264 - thankyou for showing us the work you've done - excellent - it's a lot of work to test as you've done. I am really amazed as the good showing of the light for calibre 300gr. Nosler. I had never considered it a viable weight in .458 calibre.
: The bullets that really have me interested, is full power loadings in both .45/70 and .450 Marlin with the 350gr. "X" and newer 350gr. TSX bullets as well as the 350gr. Speer FN. I think, if driven to 2,100fps or a bit more, they'd make a good show. This may be too low a velocity for the "X" bullets to expand past calibre, though.
: The Lyman cast bullet #462560, a flat nose design with large meplat weighs 560gr. in WW metal from my mould and should also put in a good showing. I was able to drive it to 1,850fps in the .458 2" using H4198 and could have added another 100fps with slower powders, I think. It's nose is too long for the lever guns, unfortunately.

--------------------
Daryl

hoppdoc
.400 member

#95046 - 24/01/08 12:23 AM

Not to stir up another sh*tstorm but I would rather have a 458 Lott than 458 WM shooting similar bullets at the SAME VELOCITY.

I feel the 458 Lott would have lower pressure and be better in the African heat.Yes, I know you can load the 458WM hot as snot and get close to the Lott, but I would rather have the lower pressure Lott round.

Have I taken the 458Wm to Africa?? NO--I have no actual experience to base this on. just a gut feeling. And yes, I own a 458WM!!

--------------------

DarylS
.700 member

#95048 - 24/01/08 01:15 AM

I can see where you're coming from, hoppdoc - but - you'd choose the Lott over the WM due to the pressure difference. This is saying the WM, although producing 2,150 to 2,200fps with 500gr. bullets, is making too much pressure, while a .375H&H or .416Reminton, producing 8,000PSI more pressure than the .458, is OK?
; With today's Extreme powders, the pressure rise in African heat becomes pretty much a non-deal - especialy with a round that developes such low pressure (55,000PSI) to start with - the .458 WM.

--------------------
Daryl

JabaliHunter
.400 member

#95050 - 24/01/08 02:43 AM

Quote:

Anyone who would say the .45/70 is 'better' than a .458 WM or any other of the more powerful rounds is being a mite silly. My problem is with people who look at 405gr. bullets at 1,320fps or 500gr. bullets at 1,210fps, who judge the round by those black powder ballistics and will not look at what the round has become in modern guise.

Agreed

JabaliHunter
.400 member

#95051 - 24/01/08 02:50 AM

I haven't shot the Lott, but I have shot the Win. I'd be happy with either and wouldn't feel handicapped by either. Most of the folks I know in Zim and SA have Wins too...
Daryl's point is fair - yes there may be a pressure difference, but does it really matter in today's bolt guns? Or even Mauser 98s? In a double, I'd probably feel happier with the Lott, but neither would be my first choice of calibre in a double anyway!

500grains
.416 member

Reged: 16/02/04
Loc: Salt Lake City, Utah USA
      #95055 - 24/01/08 03:53 AM

A few years ago there was a guy running around internet forums advocating 12 ga. buckshot for everything up through and including elephant. I doubt he had ever shot anything bigger than a dog with buckshot before, or he would not have been pushing it with such zeal.

Sarg
.400 member

Re: "45-70 is the way to go from Ele to T Rex " [Re: 500grains]
      #95067 - 24/01/08 09:32 AM

Daryl

Heres a 400gr old style X bullet from a Buffalo found "in" (not under) the skin on the far side ,
45-70 18in barrel old model H&R low pressure gun ,maybe 1750 fps tops for 400gr in this gun !
I must say I don,t like the X bullet on small game ,I have found it a slow killer ,& petal loss is common on close shots , Fail Safe are crap on BIG game, I have found petals in the skin on the entry wound on Bantang which has a thin skin ( 300gr 375 H & H )I had to stop it with 458 Win (Again)!

reflex264
.275 member

Reged: 20/01/08
Loc: TN
      #95078 - 24/01/08 12:37 PM

I am the last person in the world to start an on-line fight. I just like getting at the truth without bias. What I have found and am still finding are things aren't always what they seem to be. I have a pile of testing to do with many different bullets and cartridges. On the agenda is more work with the .458 and .460 Weatherby. If I had to name two bullets from any cartridge at this point as one being the best expanding bullet and one the best solid it would have to be the .416 Nosler Partition fired from any of the .416s at 2350fps and the 400gr Hornady encapsolated solid at the same velocity. The partition when fired faster leaves a larger initial cavity but doesn't penetrate as far. This being said I haven't seen what the .458 solids do from the .460 Weatherby yet. Now do we have to have the best when there is something that performs nearly as good even though it isn't supposed to? I hate to see Randy Garrett's name smeered especaily by hunters that have never used his ammo. I am not saying that everyone should run out and buy a 45-70 and his ammo but I will be the first to say that what info I have been able to gather on his ammo in the field has all been very good. Penetration has always been good even on buffalo. If you have a .375, .416 ,.458 or even a .600 Nitro by all means use it. They are all great and all get it done but don't discount to quickly things you haven't tried. reflex264

hoppdoc
.400 member

#95087 - 24/01/08 08:00 PM

Correct me if I'm wrong but like a lower pressure 416 Rigby the Lott can be run similarly so that the 500 gr runs at 2150-2200 at Rigby pressures instead of the max 2300+fps at 416 Remington pressures.The 458 WM has to be run at 416 Remington Mag pressures to get 2150+. We have previous threads where 416 Rems froze up in the heat of Zim and similar articles in African Hunter Magazine.

The 470 NE is an institution at 2150fps on DG and I would love to have a low pressure bolt round(well maybe not THAT low pressure) going the same velocity.If I have to run a 458WM at 416 Remington pressures to do 2150+, I don't want that in Africa. I want a 458 Lott at 416 Rigby pressures(less pressure)and 2150fps velocity(? a better mousetrap).Don't want to take a chance on the big gun freezing up in 130 degree weather with DG charging!!!

Cartridge Pressures can rise substantially with temperature. Ever had one freeze up in the chamber?? You can carry a hot rod 458 WM but I would carry a downloaded 458 Lott every time if no Double were available!!

--------------------

Edited by hoppdoc (24/01/08 08:03 PM)

DarylS
.700 member

#95103 - 25/01/08 04:19 AM

The .458 Win Mag does not run at .416 Rem pressures, but some 8,000PSI lower - as I indicated above. It takes some 65,000 or more PSI to freeze an action. It is inconceivable for the .458WM to reach even remotely close to that pressure level - nadda - won't happen unless some fool did the loading.

--------------------
Daryl

DarylS
.700 member

#95107 - 25/01/08 05:05 AM

Sarg - thanks for the pictures of the 400gr. "X". We've found the "X" does very well on our large game, but then there have been some 'run-offs' with less than good shooting to blame, when guiding, as with any bullet. The run-offs were aways collected within 150 yards, however which does speak well for the bullet's long wound channel.
: I didn't think the .400gr. "X" would expand as well as it did with such low velocity. It normally takes a very 'soft' normal bullet to work at those speeds - the 405gr. Rem and Winchester origianl .45/70 bullets come to mind. Such performance from the "X" are actually amazing.
: For me, the "X"'s main 'forte' is in the small bores at very high velocities, of course, like my daughter's .260 CLC.
: The Bantang experience just goes to show the higher velocity numbers generally require a correctly designed bullet for the game. All-round performance from a single projectile is rare. The 270gr. Partition might come closer than many, but then the new TSX 235gr. needs further testing in that regard.
: I wonder how that bantang would have reacted to your H&H with 400gr. Speer FN. bang/splat? Does the apparent failure of the Failsafe or "X" 300gr. mean the .375 isn't capable of killing that animal quickly, of course not, but there are those who might argue that point based on a single failure - against all common sense.
: Proper bullets, proper powders - it all makes a difference.
: Can't help thinking about J. Taylor's liking for that old Martini - 480gr. paper patched bullet at 1,380fps.
: We tend to forget how the large calibres with their black powder ballistics worked on the buffalo - it's written that the most buffalo were killed with military .50/70 carbines and rifles - that's only a 450gr. bullet at about 1,150fps to 1,260fps - but - it was .50 cal. and THAT made a difference in itself. I've a picture of some soldiers butchering a buffalo, with a .50/70 Sharps laying against it's hide. There are 7 dead buffalo in the single picture. Guess they air-lifted them in for the 'shot'. [;)]

--------------------
Daryl

Sarg
.400 member

#95124 - 25/01/08 08:46 AM

Daryl,

Did you mean 400 gr Speer in 45-70 H&R (not H&H)? if so, yes Bang/splat ,but I think they are a little soft for the real big stuff ,back then I could not get many good bullets for the 45-70 ,I think I would try a Swify A frame in 450gr if you can get them ? @ 1800 + fps ,Now days we don,t need to do that & the 458 Win is great on all of the big stuff,I think most of these folk read too many stories ,because the 458 Win is plenty ,it,s just plain with no story selling ability (only bad stories ) I,m sure Australia is as hot or hotter then Africa and not frozen guns there ,don,t get me wrong I like the Lott ,just don,t need it !

No dam spell check !!

Edited by Sarg (25/01/08 12:50 PM)

hoppdoc
.400 member

#95131 - 25/01/08 10:04 AM

Daryl --

Sorry to annoy but I think the max loadings of both the 416 Remington AND the 458WM are close at 54,000 CUP.Unless I am in error the 65,000 for the 416 Remington may be referring to PSI not CUP.

http://www.larrywillis.com/windex.html

and

http://kwk.us/pressures.html

Unless I an mistaken this suggests that a max loaded 458WM and 416 Remington Mags run at the same high pressures.

I still want that downloaded 458 Lott if I am hunting in 130 degree heat!!

--------------------

DarylS
.700 member

#95914 - 04/02/08 08:06 AM

hoppdoc - No problem, however the .458 WM vs. .458 Lott is another thread and another 'emotional' non-worthwhile topic that has been beaten to death.
; It's interesting that the people who have used these rounds on African or North American big game speak highly of them both- the .45/70 and .458 Win Mag. It's the people, some of whome actually hunt or shoot, with no experience with either ctg. but have such strong oinions against them both - interesting.

Edited by Daryl_S (04/02/08 08:11 AM)

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 52 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 18032

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com