Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: "45-70 is the way to go from Ele to T Rex "

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Rifles

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | >> (show all)
NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: "45-70 is the way to go from Ele to T Rex " [Re: 9.3x57]
      #92700 - 27/12/07 02:38 AM

Quote:

... on buffalo would be normal and the use of the .45-70 would be a "stunt", though backup with all of them is generally assumed. Use of the .45-70 would thus not be a stunt, but not a cartridge to use without backup, either.

My comment on some hunts being "stunts" is not to belittle the hunts or what people want to do. If it is legal and the PH is happy people should go for it if they want.

My definition of "stunt" in this case is to use someone less than what is generally considered adequate. I think the people that say hunt a buffalo with a bow have a lot of guts just like someone who might want to use a BP muzzle loader or a lever action or whatever. Hey mankind used to hunt these beasts once with spears. A "stunt man" is someone usually who is a professional and does something dangerous but perhaps with careful weighing of the risks and capabilities. If a 6.5x54 can kill a buff in certain circumstances so can many other calibres. But what if for example the circumstances are not ideal for the choice of hunting tool eg if one encounters a buffalo or elephant at close range and a less than ideal shot has to bemade, say in a charge? Then one would need to make do with one has or the PH would have to do the shooting.

Regarding a .375 or similar and up in size and power I would feel quite happy to hunt on my own if that was possible in a legal framework today. It is certainly possible with Aussie water buffalo. My guide during a water buffalo cull only had a .303 by the way and I didn't feel any worry about being uner-gunned with a 9.3mm. Most of the well used calibres are pretty well proven in the majority of circumstances given a certain chance factor. However today as you say there is usually a PH armed differently to 'help out' if needed with whatever a client uses.

These ".45/70" debates have raged over the internet forums a lot of many people react to them as a result perhaps a little more harshly or quickly. Some of the previous proponents too have simply done it to create a stir. Not saying that is the case here however. That might need to be taken into account too when the topic comes up every now and again.

Garrett Bullets, and hunts using their projectiles make some claims too which might sometimes IMO be a bit of a stretch. However as I said I KNOW a .45/70 with a 540 gr Flat nosed hardened bullet at a suitable velocity will kill a buffalo with a single shot. I wasn't there at the hunt, but did hear all about it the evening of the hunt. For the guys and girls that want to do it, why not? One question is have the proponents or antagonists actually done what is being proposed ie first hand experience, or is conjecture?

I know there was a plan to use a spear to hunt water buffalo and hopefully the story of that will one day be factually reported. Now IMO that takes real guts to even consider! On Christmas Day I was speaking to a relative about one of his encounters with an enraged buffalo. He was unarmed and dodged and ran from an angry water buffalo for forty minutes before getting away. Also I respect many others opinions I know a member or two here who are very experienced and have once used "sub-standard" calibres and now recommend quite considerably more oomph in calibres after difficult encounters. Always good to take on good advice.

I haven't read much of the posts on this thread but I think sometimes we all over-analyse things too much instead of just having fun and doing more hunting. But discussions and debates are also fun and educational and allow all of us whom aren't out hunting as much as we would like to still participate in "hunting" activities be they hopefully friendly arguments.

I think people should just have fun doing their hunting, it is meant to be fun, not serious, use what they are happy to use, but also live with the results. "Spice" and variety in life is often good.

BTW I don't pretend to have any sort of expert knowledge, just my personal opinion.

Have fun, both hunting and in polite hunting discussions.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: "45-70 is the way to go from Ele to T Rex " [Re: 9.3x57]
      #92705 - 27/12/07 03:00 AM

Quote:

Perfectly stated, Nitro.

I was not aware of ".45-70 Wars" till informed of their existence in this thread {and a PM sent by a member}.

Having said that, I have never said, and still won't say, that the .45-70 is a .458 Lott, or is comparable to it merely because they share the same groove depth.

As for the .45-70 itself, where does it fall performance-wise?

Based on my use on game and in test media of the .45-70 and .375 H&H Magnum, with expanding bullets {I do not need or use FMJ's and can't comment on them} and using top loads in both, they appear equals at close range.

I don't see why the use of a 9.3x74R, 9.3x62 or .375 H&H Mag on buffalo would be normal and the use of the .45-70 would be a "stunt", though backup with all of them is generally assumed. And with proper solids, maybe they too make the .45-70 the equal of the 9.3's and .375 up close, that I do not know as I haven't tested solids in the .45-70.
: The famed Wally Johnson used a .375 throughout his career, so maybe the argument should be "Is a heavy .45-70 as good up close as the .375 H&H?", not "Is it as good as the .458?"

: Honestly, I thought this post was being handled well, without hyperbolic worship of the silly cartridge, till it was condemned wholesale. Your post here is very helpful.

: Thanks for your excellent summation here. You always have a valuable word to add.

; Excellent points, 9.3x57 and Nitro.
; Taking a magazine article writer exactly to his written word can leade to long discussions and inflamed tempers. They, some at least, are prone to hyperventilating in script due to getting paid by the word and the writer of the article in question is just one of those 'amplifiers'. I pretty much disregard this drivel and look to the meat of the article forgetting that some people's personalities are very much more 'detail oriented' than mine and they get offended or combative over what I feel are somewhat minor or inconsequential 'exagerations', 'claims', 'ommisions' or downright 'errors', however small or immaterial in my eyes.
; As 9.3 also noted in his last post, I tried to look at the round's value compared to other seemingly "OK" cartridges and just couldn't understand what the 'fuss' was all about. My own meager experience with it and similar rounds and loadings told me the aricle was basically sound. We know John Barnsness shot a bull Cape Buffalo with a Marlin .45/70 using a seemingly 'light' 400gr. solid, at a velocity that is a full 200 fps lower than the ctg. is capable of, yet killed it and the cow behind it. The bull apparently needed more than the first shot, however, the second recipient of that shot was dead - with one even more expended bullet. Now, given that instance with a proper bullet, what part of the .45/70 makes it 'not enough gun' if used with proper bullets? I kinda disagree with 9.3 about the 'stunt' bit. I'd say exiting one buffalo and smashing the shoulder of another behind it is a pretty good 'stunt', especially when you consider the 'origins' of that ctg. runs back 135 years.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

peter
removed

Reged: 11/04/07
Loc: denmark
Re: "45-70 is the way to go from Ele to T Rex " [Re: NitroX]
      #92712 - 27/12/07 04:52 AM

Quote:

These ".45/70" debates have raged over the internet forums a lot of many people react to them as a result perhaps a little more harshly or quickly.

well after the yule stress is gone, i went back and reread the tread.

gentelmen im sorry, i will try to read the stuff i write before i post it.

best regards

peter

have a safe new year

BFaucett
.333 member

Reged: 13/01/04
Loc: Houston, Texas
Re: "45-70 is the way to go from Ele to T Rex " [Re: DarylS]
      #92721 - 27/12/07 09:17 AM

Quote:

... We know John Barnsness shot a bull Cape Buffalo with a Marlin .45/70 using a seemingly 'light' 400gr. solid, at a velocity that is a full 200 fps lower than the ctg. is capable of, yet killed it and the cow behind it. ...

Not that it matters that much but I think it was Brian Pearce and not John Barsness.

Cheers!
-Bob F.

451whitworth
.224 member

Reged: 30/11/07
Loc: MO, USA
Re: "45-70 is the way to go from Ele to T Rex " [Re: BFaucett]
      #92742 - 27/12/07 12:45 PM

this is the best and most civil discussion of this i topic i've seen. i like the idea of the Garret cartridges loaded to 35,000psi and not trying to max out at 40,000. my experience with lever action 45-70's (one Marlin, one Browning 1886) is that the brass case expands at the base way more than i am comfortable with when loaded to the limit. the rifles don't wimper with such loads but i don't like it. i have found brass life way to short when run at the redline in my leverguns. i don't know if both rifles have generous chambers and i have never played with a Browning or Ruger single shot to compare before/after case dimensions. if anyone has that info on the single shots please share. i tend to use the 45-70 in the way writer Ken Waters does. as he states "let it be said that the 45-70 cartridge, even with full power loads, is not the equal of a .458 magnum nor should any attempt be made to make it so." i like this discussion because it involves the people here who have actually hunted game bigger than deer. happy holidays

SubDoc
.224 member

Reged: 30/11/05
Loc: Silverdale Washington USA
Re: "45-70 is the way to go from Ele to T Rex " [Re: JabaliHunter]
      #92782 - 28/12/07 06:47 AM

Using that logic it follows that no hunter ever got killed when using a 470 NE or other "accepted" cartridge/gun combo.

--------------------
What they could not do at gunpoint they now accomplish in courts of law with men in black robes.

xring
.224 member

Reged: 03/03/07
Loc: Michigan, USA
Re: "45-70 is the way to go from Ele to T Rex " [Re: SubDoc]
      #94906 - 22/01/08 03:54 AM

Okay, Folks let's alter this topic just a tad. I have read most of the posts and find the discussion very stimulating. Using the same general parameters i.e., Buffalo, heavy bullets and moderate velocities, can you translate all the comments to the 450 Marlin in a 10" barreled Eagle Arms BFR handgun? I will be heading for Mozambique in the not too distant future with buffalo as the main objective. In trying to sort out what I wanted to carry I considered the 375 H&H, 458 WM, 460 Weatherby or the 450 3 1/4 N.E. in a double and had more or less settled on the latter. That was before I had a sit down conversation with the outfitter/PH with whom I intend to hunt. During the course of the conversation he discovered that I owned a BFR and stated, "I would like you to use that!" I am interested in your thoughts. Also, regardless of whether or not I decide to honor the PH's request/suggestion I would also be interested in any 500-510 grain loads any of you have worked up in this chambering.
Thanks for your thoughts.

JabaliHunter
.400 member

Reged: 16/05/07
Loc: England
Re: "45-70 is the way to go from Ele to T Rex " [Re: xring]
      #94908 - 22/01/08 05:15 AM

Did you ask this question in Sports Afield?

xausa
.400 member

Reged: 07/03/07
Loc: Tennessee, USA
      #94909 - 22/01/08 05:19 AM

In my humble opinion you should seriously consider engaging another PH. Shooting a handgun (Biggest Finest Revolver) at a Cape buffalo is the heighth of folly. Only slightly less misguided is shooting with an unfamiliar rifle. Whatever rifle you use, the most important factor is being able to hit with it where you want to hit, under the most unexpected and trying of circumstances.

Find the rifle you want and practice, practice, practice. Find an unoccupied area of land, a gravel pit, a clay pit, an abandoned quarry and shoot, shoot, shoot, until you can bring the rifle up from the carry position, release the safety, line up the sights with each other and the target and release the trigger all one sooth motion.

You don't need to expend ammunition at first to do this. You can fix your gaze on a doorknob, on a light switch on any other discrete target at home and practice the same skills with an (verified) empty rifle before you fire the first shot out of doors. The goal is for the sights to align themselves on the target without any conscious effort on your part, just the way you line up on a quail from a flushed covey.

Remember, the PH is not always there and if he is, he may have other things on his mind than protecting you, such as protecting himself.

DarylS
.700 member

Re: "45-70 is the way to go from Ele to T Rex " [Re: BFaucett]
      #94913 - 22/01/08 06:33 AM

Quote:

Quote:

... We know John Barnsness shot a bull Cape Buffalo with a Marlin .45/70 using a seemingly 'light' 400gr. solid, at a velocity that is a full 200 fps lower than the ctg. is capable of, yet killed it and the cow behind it. ...

Not that it matters that much but I think it was Brian Pearce and not John Barsness.

Cheers!
-Bob F.

: You're right, Bob - it was Brian. Thanks for the correction.
: As to loading the .45/70 to equal the .458 - of course that can't be done.
; In my rifles, the .45/70 has handled 40,000 to 43,000cup pressure levels just fine. I think it is definitely possible for a rifle to have what appears to be an oversize chamber - generally when chambered with a brand new reamer. The brass can only expand to the size of the chamber and there is no problem if this expansion is up to .008" from unfired dimensions. .008", while quite a bit, is still within specs for most factory rifles from Rem, Winchester, etc. I feel it's too much but they don't. This is why I like to have my own reamers made to my specs. Too, some sizer dies squeeze the brass down more than necessary, RCBS comes to mind, making the expansion look excessive as well.
; It is normal for any modern round to expand to the chamber size, then contract .001" to allow for extraction.
: I've a friend with a Marlin Stainless Guide Gun, that gets 400gr. Barnes FN's doing 2,007 fps with a load straight from Speer's book - 49gr. Re#7. I know these are supposed to be 34,000CUP or less loads, but his velocity is 150fps to 200fps higher than the book speeds and yet his barrel is 3 1/2" to 5 1/2" shorter(book uses 22" or 24"??). So - his barrel and bullet choice is developing greater pressure and thus higher velocities, but the pressure is still low enough to cause abslutely no signs of high pressure, whatsoever.

--------------------
Daryl

Bramble
.375 member

Reged: 29/07/06
      #94919 - 22/01/08 08:33 AM

xring.

I think that I would take the double and lend the hangun to the PH and tell him that in the event of a charge he is to back you up with it, whilst you climb the nearest tree.
See how he feels about it then.

Regards

xring
.224 member

#94930 - 22/01/08 11:42 AM

No, I did not ask that question in sports afield, but, maybe I should. Why, was there someone else out there with a similar foolhardy notion?
xring

xring
.224 member

Re: "45-70 is the way to go from Ele to T Rex " [Re: xausa]
      #94931 - 22/01/08 11:54 AM

Xausa,
Thank you for your comments. There is no doubt that being able to handle the firearm of choice, no matter what it is, is paramount. And, I agree with the practice, practice, practice suggestion. Ten bears, one with a rifle, one with a bow, and 8 with handguns (41 mag, 30 Herrett and 45-70) attest to the fact that practice and controlled shot placement lead to clean, quick kills, with minimal loss of one's own hide. The buffalo is an entirely different story so I value your comments greatly. Thanks
Xring

xring
.224 member

Re: "45-70 is the way to go from Ele to T Rex " [Re: Bramble]
      #94932 - 22/01/08 12:03 PM

Bramble,
When I stop laughing, I think I will do just that (your suggestion). The PH is currently at the Safari International show in Reno and should be back through here next week and when I see him I will offer to do as you said. You have to keep in mind though that this is a guy who has taken all of the Big 5 with a bow so I am not certain how sympathetic he will be.
Xring

Bramble
.375 member

Reged: 29/07/06
      #94934 - 22/01/08 12:38 PM

Well he must have a big pair of brass ones, so hats off to him, but I bet whoever was backing him up dident have a handgun either :-)

Regards

500grains
.416 member

Reged: 16/02/04
Loc: Salt Lake City, Utah USA
Re: "45-70 is the way to go from Ele to T Rex " [Re: Bramble]
      #94943 - 22/01/08 02:02 PM

After I shot an elephant and a cape buff with a .585 Nyati, I felt it was a stunt of sorts. The cartridge is so powerful that it is at the absolute limit of my recoil tolerance. And at 13.25 pounds, the rifle is heavy enough to make a relatively short 8 mile stalk into quite a bit of exertion. Fortunately my shots were properly placed, so both animals dropped quickly. But I would not recommend the caliber to a serious hunter. It is more of a big bore hobbyist's toy.

JabaliHunter
.400 member

Reged: 16/05/07
      #94960 - 22/01/08 06:44 PM

Quote:

No, I did not ask that question in sports afield, but, maybe I should. Why, was there someone else out there with a similar foolhardy notion?
xring

Somebody asked about using it in the January edition (although now I am not 100% certain it was the Marlin - I need to check) and Kevin Robertson was of the opinion that it was below the legal minimum in the energy department. Having said that, I expect that he was talking about factory loads.

As regards handguns, I'm pretty sure that there is a section on cape buff with handguns in Mark Hamptons book. In the same way as the 45-70 can clearly be made to work with the right loads and guns and in suitable experienced hands, as Daryl_S and 9.3x57 point out, it probably isn't advisable for all but the very experienced and even then you may be asking for trouble...

Certainly wouldn't be high on my list of things to do before I die. If it was, it might have to be a very short list! Hopefully that doesn't re-start the "war"! JMHO

hoppdoc
.400 member

Reged: 02/03/06
Loc: Southeastern USA
      #94974 - 23/01/08 12:33 AM

Think I would pass on such feats on a Buff, be it with a handgun revolver or a cannon like the Nyati.Give me an adequate hammer like a 458/470 to 500NE class rifle to whack 'em with and I would be happy enough and still not feel too inferior to other hunters.

--------------------
An armed man is a citizen of his country, an unarmed man just a subject.

DDouble
.300 member

Reged: 17/02/06
Loc: Brazil
Re: "45-70 is the way to go from Ele to T Rex " [Re: hoppdoc]
      #94978 - 23/01/08 01:28 AM

It is quite interesting that Karamojo Bell shot over a thousand buffalo with .256, 7mm and .303 and said he NEVER had a close call.

To him, buffalo was a straightforward animal do hunt, no fuss about it. A 45-70 would be considered a cannon compared.

Having gun hunted cape buffalo and bowhunted water buffalo (very much bigger) several times in the worst situations in thick jungle, I canīt agree more. I would hunt a buffalo with a 44mag revolver and hard casta bullets anyday. I doubt I would ever loose one if I wouldnīt rush things and make stupid shots.

However, I was in Chewore with Roger Whittall about 10 years ago with a guy (a very nice fellow) who had spent a fortune on an old english double. Then he spent another 6K to have it renewed, and then he shot a buffalo in the gut.

He spent 2 days on the tracks of the bull and the lion following it...

--------------------
Ddouble

xring
.224 member

Re: "45-70 is the way to go from Ele to T Rex " [Re: DDouble]
      #94981 - 23/01/08 02:42 AM

Published data for the 450 Marlin loads out performs the 45/70 factory loads, however I realize that is true to accomodate all the old "trap-doors', etc. that are still out there. My suspicion is that because the 450 case capacity is about 10% less that that of the 45/70 the latter could be handloaded to outperform 450 handloads with the 500+ grain bullets. I have both a contender 45/70 and the BFR 450. I have shot the contender for years with heavy cast bullets (with good success) and have adaquate load data for that gun. I am however having difficulty finding any data on 500gr loads for the 450. I am not quite sure where I ought to start with the 450. I have lots of time to work out such loads prior to my hunt if I can identify a starting point. I would really like to get some 500 gr loads worked up and tested regardless of whether or not I decide to use the BFR on buffalo. Does anyone have such load data for the 450 Marlin?
Thanks to everyone who has commented on my 450 Marlin revolver for buffalo question, you have definitely given me food for thought.
xring

xausa
.400 member

Reged: 07/03/07
Loc: Tennessee, USA
      #94984 - 23/01/08 04:02 AM

I was once in a situation where I shot three buffalo in rapid succession out of a herd of about 40. This was on the advice of my PH, who kept seeing bigger and bigger horn spreads each time I shot. All three ran off after the shot and when the dust cleared we were faced with the prospect of following up three wounded bulls. As it turned out, only one required another shot, and that was questionable. I was shooting my .505, and did not feel in the least overgunned.

The results can be seen at http://www.frappr.com/?a=viewphoto&id=3823381&pid=6889796&myphotos=1

PS That is not my .505 I was holding. It was my Krieghoff .458 which I had just used to adminster the follow up shot on the one I was sitting on.

DarylS
.700 member

#94985 - 23/01/08 05:00 AM

Considering the Marlins are short throated and require rather deeply seated bullets, one would have to use powders such as 4198 or Reloader #7 with the 500gr. in the .450 Marlin.
; My years of experience and mucho experimentation with the .458 2" (1/10" shorter than the .450) has shown it to be worthwhile for the heavier bullets of 500gr. and more. I cannot say what the pressures were, certainly too high for a lever gun. I was pushing 510gr. Winchester solids at 2,060fps with both IMR 4320 and H335. These loads wouldn't fit in the Marlin for sure, but I'm also quite satisfied the Marlin .450 would drive them to 1,700fps. Is that enough? I don't know.
; I should also note the throat of my bolt gun was rather long and delivered ballistics as if the case was 2.2" long, not it's physical length of 2".
; My own choice in a Marlin lever gun would also be the .450Marlin, IF, and only if it comes out in a 22" barrel. The only .450's the stores around here can get are the 18-1/2" jobs - 3 1/2" short for me to desire at this point. If and when the rifle comes out in 22", I'll have one in a heart-beat for a guide gun. The heavy jacketed 350gr. Speers or even the 400gr. Barnes flat noses at just over or around 2,100fps will do any job I would have for them, from slaying in-camp grizzlies to dropping wounded moose.
: The capacity of the .45/70 is a bit greater than the .450 (I don't believe 10%), but then, the .450 will handle max pressure for the gun a bit better than the .45/70 will do, due to the .450's heavier web section, greater base mass.
; I wondered if someone would bring this round up in htis discussion - it's a great ctg. in my books and superior to the older round.
: Both the .45/70 and .450 will deliver 400gr. bullets at inexcess of 2,000fps. Yes the SD is low, so what. If the bullet is up to the job, and the accuracy of the shooter matches that capability, the round will get the job done - as Brian Pierce proved with a 300fps lower velocity load, something in the 1,750 range, I seem to recall.
; Is it the ultimate for buff - he$$ no, but it was certainly adequate and will put out close to 4,000fpe for those who think those numbers mean something.
: It surprises me no end to read where guys would take on buff with a 9.3 with factory ammo, yet shun the more powerful round just because it's not a bolt gun or $20,000 double.
: Adequate bullet, velocity and accuracy are the only criteria necessary. Perhaps those who fight against this round and the .45/70 merely reflect their feelings of inadequacy in the accuracy department - maybe I'm just full of it - hahahaha!

--------------------
Daryl

DarylS
.700 member

#94992 - 23/01/08 05:34 AM

xausa - great pictures, thanks.

--------------------
Daryl

xring
.224 member

#95002 - 23/01/08 10:33 AM

Daryl,
Thanks for the comments. I do own a Marlin 450 Lever gun but that is not what I am referring to. The gun I wish to load for is the Eagle Arms BFR a 5 shot revolver (10 inch barrel). Throating is a concern with the rifle but in this handgun the cylinder is quite long and throating is not a concern. I can set the 500 grainers out quite a ways without interferring with the function of the gun. I don't know why it did not dawn on me before...of course the 458 x 2" data would be a really good place to start.
xring

xring
.224 member

#95003 - 23/01/08 10:38 AM

Xausa,
Was that PH working on early retirement? "shoot another one it's bigger,,,and that one it is bigger yet take it"...wow! Just racking up those trophy fees (smile). Your pics were great. Thanks

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 53 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 18034

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com