Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: "45-70 is the way to go from Ele to T Rex "

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Rifles

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | >> (show all)
9.3x57
.450 member

Reged: 22/04/07
Loc: United States
Re: "45-70 is the way to go from Ele to T Rex " [Re: DarylS]
      #92161 - 20/12/07 02:03 PM

"There was a Big Bullet from BC,

Through a pachaderm's head it shot easy,

though cast only of lead,

it didn't stop in the head,

but flew clear on across the Zambeze."

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Sarg
.400 member

Reged: 20/01/07
Loc: Nil
Re: "45-70 is the way to go from Ele to T Rex " [Re: 9.3x57]
      #92176 - 20/12/07 03:53 PM

The 500 Ne New England weights 8 3/4 LBS now ! a little better with the heavy laminated stock
One shot recoil headache was the norm with full Nitro loads ! Silly really !
Like I said 45 cal 500gr @ 2000 will go into & out Ele brain ,it will work with the right bullet !
The 458 Win is under rated bit like 308 Win ,not flashy but gets the job done on the right size game
45/70 will do it to ,but why would you take one all the way to Africa when there are much better rounds to be had,unless you have already shot plenty or handy capping you self !( like pistol & bow hunting )

Thanks for the yarn !

9.3x57
.450 member

#92303 - 21/12/07 01:00 PM

Hoppdoc:

The mule finally arrived with my copy of G&A and the article referenced. {Yup, I'm a bit remote.}

It IS a weird article, and I cannot exactly say what he is thinking. The long dissertation on mathematical ballistic "killing power" formulas always leaves me dry and I thought that sort of discussion had long ago been deep-sixed.

I've always seen the Marlin 1895 as very snappyhandling, well-balanced, powerful repeater for medium game and bear. I really like mine, and I've had some very memorable adventures with it. But as a backup gun for African DG? Well, no. I've never thought of it for such an application.

I guess if he wants to use his as a "PH" rifle as he says, I am eager to hear what he has to say in a couple years.

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

allenday
.333 member

Reged: 18/04/04
Re: "45-70 is the way to go from Ele to T Rex " [Re: hoppdoc]
      #92346 - 21/12/07 09:55 PM

Let's see.........the U.S Army bailed out on the 45-70 in favor of the 30/40 Krag and then went to the 30-06 well over a century ago. And even though it's now obsolete for military use, the 30-06 is far more versatile than the 45-70 is as a hunting cartridge in just about every way.

Then along comes the 458 Win. Mag. in 1956, and almost immediately that cartridge became suspect due to the fact that it's short on case-capacity.

And now the 45-70, which doesn't shoot as flat and isn't as accurate as the 30-06, and doesn't have the case capacity of the suspect 458 Win. Mag. is the modern do-everything wunder cartridge, huh?

I don't think so.........not for any hunting purpose that I'll ever need to fill. In fact, I've been so turned-off by some of this 45-70 froth in recent years that I'll never own one, pure and simple.

AD

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: "45-70 is the way to go from Ele to T Rex " [Re: allenday]
      #92354 - 22/12/07 12:51 AM

Like I hinted in my last post - I'm sure they're not saying it is the best at the job, but that it will do the job if handled and loaded properly. Today's bullets and powders make some ctg. absolutely amazing.
; The reason the military replaced round balls driven by black powder with elongated lead bullets driven by black powder was due to the elongated bullet's greater range. The reason big lead bullets driven by black powder were replaced with small diameter jacketed bullets driven by smokeless powders was due to the higher velocities generated, which gave greater range.
: I think it's absolutely amazing that a round that was developed 135 years ago, is more popular today than it was 75 years ago. Loaded to it's potential in a modern rifle, it is not only an effective round but even more so due to powders and bullets available. Why not be happy for those who champion it? You can speculate all you want, but that big chunk of lead or jacketed bullet is effective on heavy game. Elmer Keith once said he'd rather face a charging brown bear with a .50 Sharps, than any other American round. This was post .458 WM's introduction. Elmer also noted the load - 170gr. 1F and a 700gr. paper patched bullet. I had one and it indeed did hold 170gr. of 1F ICI black powder. It kicked a bit. He's speaking of sub-1,400fps velocity. One of John Taylor's favourite AFrican loads was a 480g.r paper patched bullet driven by 85gr. of black powder for 1,380fps. In a world of 3,000fps + velocities, it is sometimes difficult to understand just how much is actually needed, given sufficient bullet weight.
: I haven't read the article referred to in G&A so I will have to guess that the author didn't say it was better or more effective than the normal African stopping rounds, or that it would make a good back up rifle for a PH. If so, then I'm glad I don't read G&A any more as the BS is just getting deeper.
: Most people who are down on the .45/70, have never fired one or shot game with one. Most people who bad-mouth the .458 WM, have never owned one or shot an animal with one. Some people just need something to be negative about.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

9.3x57
.450 member

#92356 - 22/12/07 01:25 AM

Quote:

And even though it's now obsolete for military use, the 30-06 is far more versatile than the 45-70 is as a hunting cartridge in just about every way.

Absolutely true. Did somebody say the .45-70 was more versatile than the .30-06? I didn't, and I can't find a post here on this thread of anyone who did.

Then along comes the 458 Win. Mag. in 1956, and almost immediately that cartridge became suspect due to the fact that it's short on case-capacity.

Interesting statement, as that cartridge really and truly did have some problems early on. But were those actually due to a muzzle velocity of 1950 fps to 2000 fps or due to the provable failures caused by early powder clumping, bad bullets, etc. I have read so much argument over this subject that I am really curious as to what the facts are. Many with vast experience with the .458 even in its early years had nothing but praise for it. The actual failures I have read about were due to poor load practices or bad early powders. Your point is well-taken as far as early ammo is concerned, but is the .458 considered a "dog" now...?

And now the 45-70...is the modern do-everything wunder cartridge, huh?

Again, not sure where you are getting this stuff. Has somebody here said this? Or is this statement based on other threads? I've never suggested such a thing at all. I've asked if anyone has extensive experience shooting heavy game with something along the lines of a .45/540/1550 load. Have you seen failures with such a load? Please, if you have, I for one am all ears. I'd love to read of documented results with such a load on Aussie or African buff or US bison or even stock cattle or other heavy game. You are making some wild accusations. Maybe they are based on proclamations from .45-70 devotees from other threads? If so, please specify, since I don't read anybody doing what you accuse here on this thread.

I don't think so.........not for any hunting purpose that I'll ever need to fill. In fact, I've been so turned-off by some of this 45-70 froth in recent years that I'll never own one, pure and simple.AD

I won't comment on your needs or interests for your purposes as that is your business and you know it better than I. However, you have ranted on in condemnation of a cartridge about which you admittedly have no experience and you have not brought to the discussion any reference to failures of the cartridge on heavy game. I have no reason to proclaim the .45-70 to be anything it is not. And I am not, nor have I ever said that it is the equal of many of the various NE cartridges. However, I also will not say that it is a three-legged mule in a horse race in the absence of extensive experience or trustworthy reports of others.

I am, as stated, very curious about the performance of a load that could be functioned thru a Marlin and that might consistently endanger animals on the far side of a big bull buffalo. IF that is true, that is significant in my opinion. If such a load is a loser, then let's hear it. Now I am beginning to see why SARG was hesitant about posting anything positive about the .45-70.

A question: Does the "modern .45-70" start a fire between "traditionalists" who reject it because of its looks and "experimenters" who keep trying to find a spot for it? I do not care much for Fadala's math, but if he can absolutely demonstrate that a gun like a Marlin 1895 can safely and consistently lay buff and elephant low then that is an interesting find. To me, the fascinating thing about guns is in what they do. Or don't do as the case may be.

--------------------

allenday
.333 member

Reged: 18/04/04
      #92364 - 22/12/07 03:49 AM

I'll rant about what I want to rant about, with or without your approval, pure and simple.

Point being: The 458 Win. Mag. has had a checkered career in its own right, yet it's considerably faster and more versatile than the 45-70 is, and I have personally used it on dangerous African big game such as buffalo and hippo, as well as plainsgame. It's a better dangerous game cartridge than the 45-70 is (it couldn't be any other way), and the faster 458s and 416s are better yet. So the 45-70 loses that battle by default.

Same with the 30-06; for 98% (at least) of the world's non-dangerous big game, it not only shoots flatter, but it'll prove to be more versatile than the 45-70 day-in and day-out, and it'll kill just as well.

I don't have to be a 45-70 user in order to be able to connect that set of dots, nor do I have to have experience with the 338 Federal in order to know that I'd rather have the 338 Win. Mag., which I have used considerably.

Nor do I have to know Billery Klinton, for that matter, in order to know that she's not someone that I want anything to do with.......

AD

Tatume
.400 member

Reged: 09/06/07
Loc: Gloucester, Va USA
      #92368 - 22/12/07 04:33 AM

Quote:

The 458 Win. Mag. has had a checkered career in its own right, yet it's considerably faster and more versatile than the 45-70 is, and I have personally used it on dangerous African big game such as buffalo and hippo, as well as plainsgame. It's a better dangerous game cartridge than the 45-70 is (it couldn't be any other way), and the faster 458s and 416s are better yet. So the 45-70 loses that battle by default.

Although many people believe faster is better, I'm not one of them. In my opinion, 2100 fps or less is ideal for penetration on heavy beasts, and 2700 fps is best for medium game. I will admit though, that I've shot an awful lot of deer and hogs with 45 cal, 300 gr bullets (including the 45-70) started between 2100 and 2500 fps. Not one has taken another step.

Merry Christmas

9.3x57
.450 member

#92369 - 22/12/07 04:34 AM

AD:

You are wrong on all counts:

First, according to the rules, you must get my permission to rant. If I'm busy, you can ask Daryl.

Second, everyone knows the .45-70 is a better elephant cartridge than the .577 NE. It's also a better anti-aircraft cartridge than the 88mm Flak, too. The .45-70 also shoots flatter than the .300 Weatherby, kicks less than the .243, and is quieter than a .22. EVERYONE agrees with all of this.

Yes, and the .45-70 is going to replace the 5.56 as the NATO standard cartridge, too. Hoppdoc said that. And let's not forget that Daryl sank a German U-Boat in 1943 with a 500 grain cast bullet launched at 1100 fps from the .45-70. And I've killed 574 ground squirrels with the .45-70 in a Trapdoor Springfield with a 16x Unertl scope mounted on it, the same gun I loaned to Sam Fadala who used it to shoot 1000 elephants after slaying 17 blue whales off the coast of Patagonia. All of this is fact and all attested to in the thread. Marrakai mentioned he has a belt-fed .45-70 that he used to shoot enough kangaroos to feed the entire dog populations of Sydney, Perth and East Timor but he deleted that post after you entered yours.

Or hey, maybe you should read the thread again. I think you might find that nobody is saying any of what you are blowing a brain vein about...

--------------------

hoppdoc
.400 member

Reged: 02/03/06
Loc: Southeastern USA
      #92393 - 22/12/07 10:29 AM

Met with a PH-PF hunting Chewore who recently went after Buff witha client with a lever action 50 cal. Needless to say the shot wasn't perfect and the result was poor. He had to go into the thick stuff, get charged, shoot the Buff again toput it down.

Asked about the lever action he just hung his head and groaned then said he hoped that wouldn't ever happen again and his future hunters would both shoot better AND handle a larger caliber satisfactory!!!

Interesting!!!

--------------------
An armed man is a citizen of his country, an unarmed man just a subject.

451whitworth
.224 member

Reged: 30/11/07
Loc: MO, USA
      #92398 - 22/12/07 11:15 AM

i'm sure any DG PH has had to straighten out his share of situations where the clients ammo selection, caliber, or shot placement wasn't ideal. if someone made a bad shot with a levergun it's certainly not the rifles fault.

hoppdoc
.400 member

Reged: 02/03/06
Loc: Southeastern USA
Re: "45-70 is the way to go from Ele to T Rex " [Re: 451whitworth]
      #92411 - 22/12/07 01:47 PM

I think by "larger" he meant bigger as in more capacity like
standard African cartridges, 375H&H,404, 416,458,470,etc--I presume he felt these more effective with more leeway for a less than perfect shot than the levergun.His own gun was a 470 Double.

Yes and when he spoke he did mention "shooting better" before mention of any gun type!!

--------------------
An armed man is a citizen of his country, an unarmed man just a subject.

Edited by hoppdoc (22/12/07 01:48 PM)

smicha6551
.275 member

Reged: 09/08/05
Loc: NYC & Kuwait
      #92425 - 22/12/07 05:23 PM

If that .50 lever rifle was is .50 Alaskan, I'd put all the blame on the shooter, not the rifle or cartridge. Going bigger wouldn't help if it made him shoot worse (other than a total miss not requiring going into the bush) if anything I'd rather him shoot less gun that he can actually shoot well with. .50 Alaskan isn't .45-70.

9.3x57
.450 member

Re: "45-70 is the way to go from Ele to T Rex " [Re: smicha6551]
      #92436 - 23/12/07 01:01 AM

Quote:

If that .50 lever rifle was is .50 Alaskan, I'd put all the blame on the shooter, not the rifle or cartridge. Going bigger wouldn't help if it made him shoot worse (other than a total miss not requiring going into the bush) if anything I'd rather him shoot less gun that he can actually shoot well with. .50 Alaskan isn't .45-70.

Smicha:

Wake up!!! You entirely miss the point!!

It is obvious that an unknown .50 caliber levergun shooting unknown bullets at an unknown velocity under unknown conditions with unknown shot placement is all we need to know that the 540/1550 load in the .45-70 is no good for anything.

I once shot a stray barn cat in the head with a .44 Special. It ran away after taking the shot. That too proves the .45-70 is no good for deer hunting. I once missed a deer with the .303 British. That proves that the .300 Weatherby won't kill a pronghorn...

--------------------

smicha6551
.275 member

Reged: 09/08/05
Loc: NYC & Kuwait
      #92440 - 23/12/07 04:11 AM

That's it - forget .450/400 Nitro, I'm going for this:
http://www.anzioironworks.com/MAG-FED-20MM-RIFLE.htm

Sarg
.400 member

Reged: 20/01/07
Loc: Nil
Re: "45-70 is the way to go from Ele to T Rex " [Re: smicha6551]
      #92460 - 23/12/07 09:06 AM

9.3X57 !

I just love your cheeky wit, but you are correct on all charges !

Some folks should just do more hunting !

allenday , did the 458 Win not work for you ?
you do need a little faith in that your bullet will kill what you shoot it at !

DarylS
.700 member

#92483 - 23/12/07 01:19 PM

Quote:

Needless to say the shot wasn't perfect and the result was poor.
Interesting!!!

; This statement should have read: "Needless to say the result was poor because the hunter was a lousey shot. It wouldn't have mattered what he shot the buff in the guts with."

; As to the premise that .375" or the others have "more capacity" - which capacity? The .50 Alaskan,(4 or 5 rounds) properly loaded is in the same playing field as the .458 WMag.- (same case capacity, too, just a bigger bore, bigger smack at the same pressures) and is certainly better than a .375 in a fight. No, I haven't used one on buffalo. I don't need to - it's obvious to anyone who's shot large game with both - I have. That .50 Alaskan is one great round for hunting big game. What I've found is that most people who buy guided hunts are not hunters, not shooters and many don't even know how to remove the bolt from their bolt rifle. Makes me wonder if they've ever cleaned it. Mnay can not hit a standard 100 yard target at 50 yards unless they are shooting off a bench complete with sand bags. Some hunters are very fine shots, but poor game shots. The shakes really screws them up. Some are medicre target shots, yet on game have shown themselves to be cool, calm and collected and hit perfectly, every time. The bullets always striking within 2-1/2" of their desired impact zone. That will kill deer, moose and elk every time.
; Is that why some people buy doubles? [;)]

--------------------
Daryl

buckbrush
.300 member

Reged: 23/08/07
Loc: Alberta
      #92556 - 24/12/07 04:53 PM

The fellow with the lever action .50 may have been the editor of Rifle and Handloader magazine. He took an 86 replica in 50-110 by Turnbull to Africa. If I remember correctly he used blackpowder or blackpowder equivalent loads topped with an RCBS .50 cal cast bullet.

DarylS
.700 member

Re: "45-70 is the way to go from Ele to T Rex " [Re: buckbrush]
      #92584 - 25/12/07 04:15 AM

It it was Scovil - he should have known better. The Winchester 50-110 and the .45/90 as well, have too slow rifling twists for the length of the bullets used in them. They were meant for very short-for-calibre bullets, which didn't help matters. This resulted in poor penetration, such that the Winchester .45 and .50 cal rifles were the laughing stock of the buffalo plains. RCBS made or makes a mould for a .510" 450gr. which, if driven 2,000fps or over, cast of WW metal which was then hardened, would have done the job given proper shooting. Trouble is, the 450gr. bullet is too long for the 32"(.45/90) to 56"(.50-110) rifling (jury is out on the twist actually used) twist of those leverguns. I have seen 'duplication' .50 Wnchester barrels for sale for the .50/95 and .50/110 that have 56" twists. This is a round ball twist in .50 to .60 calibre, not a slug twist.
; The .50 Alaskan with a proper 15" to 24" twist is very much different than the .50-110 Winchester in both power and penetration. The high velocty load for the .50-110 was a short light 350gr. at sometihg like 2,200fps, while a strong lever gun will do about 2,000fps with a 450gr. .50 bullet. Chambered in a strong, single shot action, the Alaskan will do about 2,100fps wihth a 520gr.
; Buckbrush, I doubt this was the incident mentioned. Could have been though, you just never know.

--------------------
Daryl

451whitworth
.224 member

Reged: 30/11/07
Loc: MO, USA
      #92611 - 25/12/07 12:09 PM

Quote:

It it was Scovil - he should have known better. The Winchester 50-110 and the .45/90 as well, have too slow rifling twists for the length of the bullets used in them. They were meant for very short-for-calibre bullets, which didn't help matters. This resulted in poor penetration, such that the Winchester .45 and .50 cal rifles were the laughing stock of the buffalo plains. RCBS made or makes a mould for a .510" 450gr. which, if driven 2,000fps or over, cast of WW metal which was then hardened, would have done the job given proper shooting. Trouble is, the 450gr. bullet is too long for the 32"(.45/90) to 56"(.50-110) rifling (jury is out on the twist actually used) twist of those leverguns. I have seen 'duplication' .50 Wnchester barrels for sale for the .50/95 and .50/110 that have 56" twists. This is a round ball twist in .50 to .60 calibre, not a slug twist.
; The .50 Alaskan with a proper 15" to 24" twist is very much different than the .50-110 Winchester in both power and penetration. The high velocty load for the .50-110 was a short light 350gr. at sometihg like 2,200fps, while a strong lever gun will do about 2,000fps with a 450gr. .50 bullet. Chambered in a strong, single shot action, the Alaskan will do about 2,100fps wihth a 520gr.
; Buckbrush, I doubt this was the incident mentioned. Could have been though, you just never know.

Scovill's rifle was built by Doug Turnbull Restorations from a original .45 caliber 1886. it was rebarreled with a 1-20" twist half octagon/round barrel from Montana Rifleman. he hunted with Martin Pieters of Rann Safaris in Botswana and yes he burned blackpowder in that rifle with that RCBS 450gr. bullet you mention Daryl. i have the DVD "10 days in africa" from wolfe publishing with Scovill's buffalo hunt and some plains game. he shoots that buffalo 6 or 7 times and you can see the dust flying off the buff with each hit. he wrote the buff hunt up in Successful Hunter mag and said the most bullets exited and were all in the vitals FWIW. Daryl, i see in quite a few posts you really like the 50 alaskan. it is an excellent close range thumper. i have a Browning 1886 converted to 50-110 with a 1-20" twist and using 50 Alaskan load data i can easily drive a 525gr. LBT LFN 2000+ fps from the 26" barrel. that cresent butt plate maakes it no fun though.

DarylS
.700 member

Re: "45-70 is the way to go from Ele to T Rex " [Re: 451whitworth]
      #92634 - 26/12/07 02:50 AM

451- Thanks for the correction on Scovil's rifle. I knew Turnbull did the restoration, but didn't know it was re-barrreled. Even the Sharps rifles had too slow a twist for long range shooting with the 450gr. and 500gr. PP bullets. Although stabil on paper out to 300yards or so, they fialed to maintain accuracy much beyond that range. At 36", their twist was too slow. This is why the .50/90 Sharps had a poor reputation for long range shooting (past about 350 yards). Had Sharps put a 24" twist on it, it would have taken buff at 500 or further, just like the .40's and .45's & would have maintained it's popularity longer. Many buff hunters still preferred it. My .50 Alaskan, with a 24" twist and 550gr. bullets gave me a 10 shot group of under 10" at a taped off 450 yards, using lead bullets, BPowder, tang rear and blade front sight, elbow rest off the truck's hood.
; Crescent butts can be a pain. Of course, the English shotgun-butt is the best for kickers that don't have big soft Chinese pillows on them for pads.

--------------------
Daryl

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
      #92683 - 26/12/07 07:02 PM

I never see all the controversy in using different sorts of calibres and or rifles on a safari.

Use what you want, if it is legal and if the outfitter and PH is willing. But live with the consequences.

Often guys with a lot of experience want to try something different. They want to prove something to themselves or to others and do it differently. Hopefully they understand the limitations of what they might be planning to do.

I don't understand though why some people insist that others agree with their often marginal choices. People should make their own decisions but not necessarily expect others to agree with them. These ".45/70" debates are often phrased in that way, as an "ideal" or "the way to go". I know a .45/70 will kill a cape buffalo OK if shot with an appropriate bullet and the right bullet placement. A hunter I shared a camp in the Matersi with tried penetration tests on an elephant skull when I was there and he at least thought the penetration was acceptable to try it on a live ele one day. I hope he got his chance.

But a lot of it is still "stunt" hunting. How many would do the same, hunt ele or buffalo etc with a bow, a BP rifle, a .45/70 if not backed up by a PH with a "real" rifle and calibre.

Food for thought.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

9.3x57
.450 member

Re: "45-70 is the way to go from Ele to T Rex " [Re: NitroX]
      #92695 - 27/12/07 01:13 AM

Perfectly stated, Nitro.

I was not aware of ".45-70 Wars" till informed of their existence in this thread {and a PM sent by a member}.

I do not understand why some want to suppress the investigation of improved loadings of any cartridge, so the blowup over .45-70 experimental or other heavy loads really left me confused.

Having said that, I have never said, and still won't say, that the .45-70 is a .458 Lott, or is comparable to it merely because they share the same groove depth. For example, a .30-30 is a fine cartridge for some purposes but it is no .300 Winchester Mag. Having said that, it would seem ridiculous to condemn the desire to improve the .30-30.

As for the .45-70 itself, where does it fall performance-wise?

Based on my use on game and in test media of the .45-70 and .375 H&H Magnum, with expanding bullets {I do not need or use FMJ's and can't comment on them} and using top loads in both, they appear equals at close range. So maybe there is a tiny bit of "disagreement" with you? If the PH says go ahead and use softs, I don't see why the use of a 9.3x74R, 9.3x62 or .375 H&H Mag on buffalo would be normal and the use of the .45-70 would be a "stunt", though backup with all of them is generally assumed. Use of the .45-70 would thus not be a stunt, but not a cartridge to use without backup, either. Onviously the .45-70 is not a versatile cartridge like the .375 H&H is, but for close range shooting, it is no .32-20, either...

And with proper solids, maybe they too make the .45-70 the equal of the 9.3's and .375 up close, that I do not know as I haven't tested solids in the .45-70. The famed Wally Johnson used a .375 throughout his career, so maybe the argument should be "Is a heavy .45-70 as good up close as the .375 H&H?", not "Is it as good as the .458?"

Honestly, I thought this post was being handled well, without hyperbolic worship of the silly cartridge, till it was condemned wholesale. Your post here is very helpful.

Maybe I am wrong, but I see a forum such as you have here as a place where experimentation and investigation and subsequent discussion can flourish, and where unknowns can be discussed based on the knowns. If a fellow says "I don't think that will work, based on my experience with this" I listen up. But when a fellow says "It's no good but I haven't used it" I get bored with such a forum fast. They are a dime a dozen...

On that last note, and NOT particularly applying to this thread, for some time I thought this place was different than some others. But there appears to be a member or two who though very knowledgeable in some areas, constantly enters threads by belittling and denigrating others and by acting totally belligerently. Interestingly enough, such belligerence appears to frequently involve areas of weakness. I myself enjoy a debate but it is becoming more and more obvious to me over time as I read many posts {lots of which I do not even enter} that this like other forums, seemingly has its protected Sacred Cows and Heroes and since constant belligerence from any member makes for boring reading to me, it is easy to drift away, which is I suspect the normal way of things.

Thanks for your excellent summation here. You always have a valuable word to add.

--------------------

Edited by 9ThreeXFifty7 (27/12/07 02:18 AM)

rigbymauser
.400 member

Reged: 15/05/05
Loc: Denmark
      #92696 - 27/12/07 02:11 AM

Quote:

AD:

Second, everyone knows the .45-70 is a better elephant cartridge than the .577 NE. It's also a better anti-aircraft cartridge than the 88mm Flak, too. The .45-70 also shoots flatter than the .300 Weatherby, kicks less than the .243, and is quieter than a .22. EVERYONE agrees with all of this.

Yes, and the .45-70 is going to replace the 5.56 as the NATO standard cartridge, too. Hoppdoc said that. And let's not forget that Daryl sank a German U-Boat in 1943 with a 500 grain cast bullet launched at 1100 fps from the .45-70. And I've killed 574 ground squirrels with the .45-70 in a Trapdoor Springfield with a 16x Unertl scope mounted on it, the same gun I loaned to Sam Fadala who used it to shoot 1000 elephants after slaying 17 blue whales off the coast of Patagonia. All of this is fact and all attested to in the thread. Marrakai mentioned he has a belt-fed .45-70 that he used to shoot enough kangaroos to feed the entire dog populations of Sydney, Perth and East Timor.

Yep ...the 45-70 does it all.

Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
      #92697 - 27/12/07 02:17 AM

Quote:

Perfectly stated, Nitro.

I was not aware of ".45-70 Wars" till informed of their existence in this thread {and a PM sent by a member}.

I do not understand why some want to suppress the investigation of improved loadings of any cartridge, so the blowup over .45-70 experimental or other heavy loads really left me confused.

Honestly, I thought this post was being handled well, without hyperbolic worship of the silly cartridge, till it was condemned wholesale. Your post here is very helpful.

Maybe I am wrong, but I see a forum such as you have here as a place where experimentation and investigation and subsequent discussion can flourish, and where unknowns can be discussed based on the knowns. If a fellow says "I don't think that will work, based on my experience with this" I listen up. But when a fellow says "It's no good but I haven't used it" I get bored with such a forum fast. They are a dime a dozen...

On that last note, and NOT particularly applying to this thread, for some time I thought this place was different than some others. But there appears to be a member or two who though very knowledgeable in some areas, constantly enters threads by belittling and denigrating others and by acting totally belligerently. Interestingly enough, such belligerence appears to frequently involve areas of weakness. I myself enjoy a debate but it is becoming more and more obvious to me over time as I read many posts {lots of which I do not even enter} that this like other forums, seemingly has its protected Sacred Cows and Heroes and since constant belligerence from any member makes for boring reading to me, it is easy to drift away, which is I suspect the normal way of things.

Thanks for your excellent summation here. You always have a valuable word to add.

**Just read an article recently by Robertson who stated that in Zimbabwe and some other countries in Africa--there are restrictions placed on weapons used based on muzzle energy. I did not know this--I always thought it was just a minumum of .375 H&H --however according to Robertson, 3500 ft/lbs of energy are the minimum --used to be 4000 however was lower a bit to include some of the 9.2 chamberings..

AS to the posts you refer to--I agree with your summation.. it is very interesting to read someone who has been there and done that..but the meaningless dribble of just wanting to be heard it teadious at best and boring to boot...IMHO..

Ripp

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 83 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 18037

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com