Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: "45-70 is the way to go from Ele to T Rex "

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Rifles

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | >> (show all)
hoppdoc
.400 member

Reged: 02/03/06
Loc: Southeastern USA
"45-70 is the way to go from Ele to T Rex "
      #91699 - 16/12/07 05:39 AM

Sorry,I couldn't resist a discussion of this SMACKDOWN article I read!!

Read a current article in G&A by Sam Fadala proclaiming his exploits with the 540 gr 45-70 at 1550 fps on charging hippo, charging Buff,etc.Apparently a broad meplat bullet now gives this caliber mystical killing properties at slow velocities!!

http://www.garrettcartridges.com/products.asp

My concern is some deluded hunter is going to try this may get hurt or killed!!Betcha Sam had someone backing him up with a real stopping rifle--

Think I want something more potent on a charging Ele or Buff than a 45-70--

Or maybe I'm overgunned with my Double!! Do all us wimps now just need 45-70 Doubles and Garrets magical bullets?[satire]

Gentlemen, your thoughts on G&A's article??

--------------------
An armed man is a citizen of his country, an unarmed man just a subject.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
Re: "45-70 is the way to go from Ele to T Rex " [Re: hoppdoc]
      #91701 - 16/12/07 05:45 AM

I read that same article--I really didn't take away from it that it was being promoted for others to do it--more that yes, it could be done..

Thought it was really interesting in that he did it and that the "old" 45-70 was up to the task..

Not sure if you remember the article recently published stating the advantage of using "heavy for caliber" bullets---ie. using 350's in a .375 --very interesting and as the article pointed out, the extra weight does make a difference

As to your comments on some idiot going out and trying it on his own..Nature has its own way of cleansing the gene pool..

Ripp

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

9.3x57
.450 member

Reged: 22/04/07
Loc: United States
Re: "45-70 is the way to go from Ele to T Rex " [Re: Ripp]
      #91710 - 16/12/07 10:14 AM

Hoppdoc: I'd guess that such a combination {540/1550/flat meplat} is rare enough that the jury is out as to how it would perform on heavy game under bad circumstances. I've read of some work being done in South Africa and elsewhere studying the effect of various ogive configurations on deep penetration, and the results were very interesting, indicating that relatively minor changes can produce significant differences in terminal performance. If it works on the "real heavies" maybe it'll help the .45-70 to some significant amount? Until a bunch of big stuff is shot with such a combination I'm not willing to say it won't work. Maybe somebody here has experience with a similar load and can comment?

I do not. The load I shoot in my .45-70 is a 402 grain cast hollowpoint running at 1640 fps. Not even near the performance of the .470, etc. But my load is a killer and the bullet acts something like a Nosler Partition, shedding the front hollowpoint, leaving the rear shank to penetrate deeply. I do not consider the .45-70 the equal of a .500 NE or even a .458 Winchester Magnum, but I do have a soft spot for the cartridge and my Marlin that shoots it. I have killed bear, deer, varmints and two range cattle with it. I'll tell you about one of latter:

Some years ago some range cattle broke out of a neighboring ranch and wandered onto the road that divides my place. A girl struck three of them in her car at night, totalling the car and killing one cow, sending one off {never to be seen or heard from again} and breaking the leg of another. The next day the rancher was called in from Lewiston {where the Speer bullets are made} and he and his hand saddled up their horses and came by to round up the wounded one and push it to their stock trailer. It went berserk, chased him and his hand from the cedar mill to my line, then, when they backed off after the Sheriff's Deputy arrived, chased the Deputy under his patrol car where he stayed till it moved off of its own accord.

I knew none of this as I was at my business in town 20 miles away. I received a telephone call from a neighbor who merely stated that the rancher didn't want the critter and I could come and put it in the freezer if I wanted to.

I drove home and met a friend, who had just arrived and was as ignorant as I was. he went to his pickup and offered his .38 to put the thing down with. I declined and told him I wanted to try a new .45-70 handload so I'd take mine. i'm glad I did. The rancher always had a sick and demented sense of humor.

We found the rancher who pointed out the critter and took my friend and drove off some distance away. This seemed odd but I didn't say anything about it. The cow was in the mill yard lying down and chewing its cud when I approached from behind. I figured I'd walk up and get one in at an angle from side-to-side so I could maybe recover the bullet.

When I got to about thirty yards away, the cow spotted me and exploded off the ground, spun around and with no more to-do, came for me like I was a catcher and she was a Roger Clemens fastball. Our mobile butcher is a friend of mine and he has probably faced more bovine charges than any professional hunter I can think of {a lot of people call the mobile butcher because they can't load the mean one...} and he told me to aim for a spot about two inches lower than a line stretched from eye-to-eye on charging beef cattle as they come with their noses pointed more or less straight out. That's what I did and when I broke the trigger that cow piled up like a sack of cement dropped off the delivery truck.

When my kids and me skinned the critter out we were careful to trace the bullet path. It entered the head right at the edge of the cartilage of the nose and angled back, passing through the head, shattering the base of the skull and many vertebrae in the neck and coming to rest after it had penetrated over 24 inches of bone and muscle.

The .45-70 is no "elephant gun", to be sure. But in a light 7 lb rifle with great handling and excellent sights, it kept my ass out of traction, and that I am grateful for. If Sam wants to hot-rod it and kill buffalo with it, all the power to him. If he finds out it doesn't work for him, i'm sure we'll hear about it in good time.

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

JabaliHunter
.400 member

Reged: 16/05/07
Loc: England
Re: "45-70 is the way to go from Ele to T Rex " [Re: 9.3x57]
      #91838 - 17/12/07 09:17 PM

[quote If he finds out it doesn't work for him, i'm sure we'll hear about it in good time.

Unfortunately it seems that this debate will not end until one of these articles on the suitability of the 45-70 ends with an obituary.

Not very charitable at Christmas time, but hey, at least the guy would get a posthumous darwin award!

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: "45-70 is the way to go from Ele to T Rex " [Re: JabaliHunter]
      #91850 - 17/12/07 10:43 PM

IF one had a Ruger, or bolt .45/70, I'm sure they could duplicate my in-camp/BEAR load that I have for my .458 2". So far, the bears haven't shown when I've been in the guide's camp. It drives the flat point 560gr. Lyman hard cast bullet (hardened WW) of 560gr. weight at 1,850fps. For those who feel the .450/.400 has plenty of poop, this load beats it in diameter, bullet weight, KO, FPE or whatever measurement is used. fpe is 4,257. While I don't put much if any faith in fpe, I acknowledge than many hunters do, especially when African game is spoken of. I have run 500gr. jacketed up to 4,750fpe with this rifle, but think that 560 flat nose needs some testing and would hit a considerably harder blow. It's cavitation index is much better than a round nose solid. Lyman # 457560.
: Only game we've shot with that bullet, was a bull moose, shot in the chest, the bullet recovered in the right rump underneath the hide. The alloy was 50/50 WW/Pure. Initial velocity was only approximately 1,430fps, driven by a 122gr. of 2F. Range was only 85 yards. The bullet expanded to .756" and lost only 59 gr.
; This velocity range is well within the Marlin's capbiltiy, however bullet length, of course, is a problem in the lever action.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

9.3x57
.450 member

#91854 - 18/12/07 12:12 AM

Quote:

Unfortunately it seems that this debate will not end until one of these articles on the suitability of the 45-70 ends with an obituary.

Probably true enough, though whether the caliber/performance will be the cause of it will be argued over, too until enough of these heavy .45-70 loads get faced with big buff, which I doubt will happen soon.

Put another way, I'd like to see a Marrakai-style cull on big Australian or Cape buff using the types of loads cited by Hoppdoc and Fadala, with appropriate bullet-digging and thus leading to conclusions based on documented performance. I don't see that happening since I think such heavy .45-70 loads are relative rarities in Australia and Africa.

While I cannot see why anybody would choose to go with the .45-70 over some other more-commonly used cartridge for heavy African game {unless they just feel like it, which is good enough reason to me}, Daryl's load {and others} are more powerful than other commonly used buff calibers {9.3x74R, 9.3x62, .375 H&H Mag, etc} and if such hotrodded .45-70 "stunt loads" are to be condemned so should such cartridges as the mediums cited above.

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

JabaliHunter
.400 member

#91858 - 18/12/07 12:34 AM

Quote:

I cannot see why anybody would choose to go with the .45-70 over some other more-commonly used cartridge for heavy African game

Neither can I - alot appear to do it just to prove that they can

Quote:

if such hotrodded .45-70 "stunt loads" are to be condemned so should such cartridges as the mediums cited above.

I don't have anything against pushing performance to the limits and I am fully in favour of heavy for calibre bullets in any of the medium bores that you mention, particularlty the 375. However, when you factor in that you mostly have to rely on handloads, if they got lost on route to Africa you would be reliant on locally sourced rounds which are unlikely to be as powerful. As such, a "just because I can" round, while fun, does not class as a true DG round IMHO

JabaliHunter
.400 member

Re: "45-70 is the way to go from Ele to T Rex " [Re: DarylS]
      #91859 - 18/12/07 12:40 AM

Quote:

It drives the flat point 560gr. Lyman hard cast bullet (hardened WW) of 560gr. weight at 1,850fps. For those who feel the .450/.400 has plenty of poop, this load beats it in diameter, bullet weight, KO, FPE or whatever measurement is used. fpe is 4,257.

That sounds like a great bear round and certainly packs some punch. I'd love to see it in a head to head penetration test against a 450/400 firing woodleighs though and I'd definitely want to perform such a test before I pointed it in anger in the direction of a cape buffalo.

peter
removed

Reged: 11/04/07
Loc: denmark
      #91863 - 18/12/07 01:52 AM

this discussion is about emotions, if we substituted the 45-70 with say 43 mauser(pretty much same round) then all the guys from the US wouldent have the need to rattel their swords and scream bloody murder all the time.

so the 43 mauser.

it is a black powder round with the possibility to hotrod a lot and even try to blow eachother up,
it has nothing that you cant find in other, better and never calibers that allready is cip proved and there is a standard for.
therefore the 43 mauser is a fun black powder number, that is good enough in itself and there is no reason to try to make it into a nitro express cartrigde.
it will never achive the same class as english NE cartrigdes even if it had the same energy and everything, so dont try to make a silk purse out of a sows ear.
leave the 43 mauser for what it can do and do well which is boar, bears and visent(aka bison, black bear and pigs etc.).

So 43 MAUSER great round leave it alone, or do another round, with it as a bacis, and call it something new like 43 marlin etc

my two cents (euro that is)

peter

DarylS
.700 member

Re: "45-70 is the way to go from Ele to T Rex " [Re: peter]
      #91869 - 18/12/07 03:14 AM

Peter, does the same reasonaing go for the .375H&H and the 9.3x62 - or the English Nitro rounds?
; That being the case, the 9.3x62 should be reduced to a 286gr., at 2,175fps (same as current 9.3x57) and the H&H reduced to 2,400fps for 300gr. and 2,600fps for 270gr,(.375 ballistics are slightly reduced from what a 9.3x62 will do with handloads today) This means the 9.3 wouldn't be able to shoot heavier bullets, which seemed fine with Taylor as he very much appreciated the 9.3 and .375 using their early ballistics. He did state that when the 9.3 was increased to 2,360fps, it wasn't needed.
: Seems strange there is such negetivism expressed against a properly loaded, modernized round that seems to work well on heavy game.
: To Peter, there would be no big bore Nitro Express rounds had there not been black powder express rounds to "Hotrod". That is all they are.
; A modernized .43 Mauser in a modern Mauser bolt gun would duplicate the .450/400 I'd expect and maybe exceed it by a margin of 150fps. It would be a great bear/moose/elk load and satisfy for most all hunting in Africa to boot. Seems it would duplicate the .425 Nitro. Even looks like it, albeit smaller in diameter.
; I think what upsets many English Ctg. fanatics, is that the lowly .45/70, which was first chambered in 1872 & incorporated as THE US Military ctg. in 1873, can be up-scaled just as the English black powder rounds were, and in solid actioned guns, can come very close to duplicating the larger cased English ctgs. Afterall, the .45/70 can be loaded in a bolt gun or Ruger SS to 2,200fps with 400gr. bullets, without even breaking 55,000psi. With today's bullets, real-penetration and expansion can be achieved which borders on and even defeats what solids and soft points did and do well from their larger, lower pressure rounds (in the same calibre, of course).
; Yes, I agree - it is an emotional debate and it will take 10's of hunters killed using it on dangerous game which will still not prove anything. How many 10's of hunters were killed when using the big English guns?

--------------------
Daryl

JabaliHunter
.400 member

#91874 - 18/12/07 03:38 AM

The point is that the 375H&H and 9.3x62 aren't massively "hot-rodded" - they can shoot their heavy bullets without excessive pressure and yet still maintain useful velocity and get massive penetration. You may well get 2200fps at 55,000psi with 400 grain bullets in the 45-70 - but look at the SD of a 400grain .45 calibre as compared to a 400 grain .40 cal or 350gr .375 cal. It may not mean all that much for boar and bear, but I'm dead sure it does for buff and ele!

9.3x57
.450 member

#91878 - 18/12/07 05:17 AM

If anybody here is saying "It won't work!" my question is "How do you know?"

I mean, I don't hear Daryl stating that the heavily loaded .45-70 is the "greatest buff cartridge on earth", and I know I am not.

But to criticise a guy's experimentation {that seemed to work OK by the way} without any field reports otherwise seems to be a weak argument. I say if a fellow can get a PH to let him, test the .45-70 extensively and then let's find out how it does. I simply do not know as I have not read much about heavy-loaded .45-70's on heavy African game.

My point is that I would love to see Daryl's or Sam's loads tested on a number of big critters and then maybe an argument could be made for or against it.

I was thinking that one of the Aussies here had some {not so good?} experiences with heavy-loaded .45-70's but maybe my memory is unclear on that point. I'd love to hear from others with pro and con reports. I myself am undecided. I have shot a lot of cast 400-420 grain bullets in a variety of media and they penetrate surprisingly well. I must dig out my records, as IIRC, my 402 grain HP load penetrated as far as the recent premium .375 loads tested. I'll check and report later.

Oh, yeah, Peter...Daryl is doing a great job of stumping for the .45-70 but he ain't from the US...

--------------------

peter
removed

Reged: 11/04/07
Loc: denmark
      #91881 - 18/12/07 07:12 AM

i see my point dident come across, so i will try again.

i know that it is a sensetive area for all you NORTH AMERICANS , what i dont get is you got the 45-90 and 45-110. longer case gives lower pressure. play with those for gods sake

yes daryl a lot of the NEs are from bpe but not every bpe became a full nitro, of all the 450 bpe's, they chose the longest one to make the 450 ne. why because of the pressure, i presume.

i cant see the reason why people keep pushing the 45-70 other than the shells are cheap, and that is a poor reason to get blown up in my book.

regards

peter

Sarg
.400 member

Reged: 20/01/07
Loc: Nil
Re: "45-70 is the way to go from Ele to T Rex " [Re: peter]
      #91884 - 18/12/07 08:18 AM

I,ve always been apprehensive to say good things about the 45/70 because so many people have preset ideas on it
In the NT of Australia hundreds maybe thousands of Buffalo have been killed with the 45/70 ,as there was a law on the books into the 1980,s that you could not have a cartrigde over a certain speed ie:45/70 not 222 Rem ,in those days if you drove from Darwin to any where out of town at night you could run into Buff on the main road !
I have shot a lot of Buff & a few Bantang with the 45/70 and it worked very well !
I would much rather face a Buff with a hot-rodded 45/70 than a 375 H&H which I think is marginal on Buff any way
Some times there is a reason to use a certain cartrigde or rifle ,Laws ,the rifle you HAVE or like above others , I believe most on this forum under stand this !

Sarg
.400 member

Re: "45-70 is the way to go from Ele to T Rex " [Re: Sarg]
      #91886 - 18/12/07 08:36 AM

Oh ,I was a professional Buff shooter in the 80,s and have guided on Buff & Bantang for some years
I also helped out on a few hunts in Africa to.
That said my back up rifle is a 458 Win , which is much better for the job !

hoppdoc
.400 member

#91896 - 18/12/07 11:08 AM

My gut feeling is I would like to see some penetration testing of a 540 gr hammerhead at 1550 fps compared to African standard cartridges.

My feeling is Buff is on the light end of desired penetration?maybe,but a 45-70 definitely not an option on Ele for me.With numerous documented headshot failures of 500 gr 458 WM around 2000 fps *ain't no way* I'm going to try a head on shot at a charging Ele with any 45-70 if I have a choice.

I prefer to always be prepared for the worse scenario, not the perfect shot--Bet somewhere someone has even killed an Ele with a handgun.I know they have--SO WHAT!!Better to respect the animal to dispatch it quickly with the most potent rifle I can control and avoid nasty painful terminal complications like becoming instant toejam!!!

--------------------

9.3x57
.450 member

#91910 - 18/12/07 01:10 PM

Quote:

My gut feeling is I would like to see some penetration testing of a 540 gr hammerhead at 1550 fps compared to African standard cartridges.

My feeling is Buff is on the light end of desired penetration?maybe,but a 45-70 definitely not an option on Ele for me.With numerous documented headshot failures of 500 gr 458 WM around 2000 fps *ain't no way* I'm going to try a head on shot at a charging Ele with any 45-70 if I have a choice.

I prefer to always be prepared for the worse scenario, not the perfect shot--Bet somewhere someone has even killed an Ele with a handgun.I know they have--SO WHAT!!Better to respect the animal to dispatch it quickly with the most potent rifle I can control and avoid nasty painful terminal complications like becoming instant toejam!!!

SARG: Do you remember what loads you used? What gun?

HOPPDOC: Me, too. I would like to see the same testing you refer to. I have a feeling I know what might occur, but am not 100% sure.

PETER: I checked my records:

My .45-70 load using the Lee 402 grain Hollow Point {cast of wheelweights} and running 1640 fps exceeds the penetration of the 300 grain Hornady Round Nose and the 300 grain Norma Oryx and equalled the penetration of the 300 grain Swift A-Frame shot in the recent testing of the .375 H&H magnum {shot at +- 2450 fps}. Unlike some heavy sixgun bullets that frequently penetrate deeply but show little hydraulic effect, the Lee evaporates the first two jugs quite similarly to the the .375 and succeeded in knocking the 6th jug off the test table unlike the .375's.

I should add that I have never experienced any pressure signs or troubles with my load even when shot in hot weather, and it is NOT the highest velocity that can be obtained with a 402 grain bullet in the .45-70. This load obviously gives up lead in exchange for speed when compared to Sam's load. The Lee HP seems to perform like a Nosler Partition {when run at the velocity I shoot and cast of wheelweights} in test media and in game, blowing off the HP portion and leaving the shank to penetrate.

Having said that, would I consider it a backup load for elephant or buffalo? No, I would not. But I guess I would have to lump it in with the 9.3x62 and .375 H&H when used at close range. I would say my load would be the equal of the .375 at very close ranges, which is to say it lacks the performance of a real stopper like the .470, .458 WM, etc. I have never had the opportunity to test the .458 or .470, etc on my test media, so take that for what it is worth. I'm guessing there would be some recordable differences in performance.

To paraphrase Fox News: "I've reported, you decide".

--------------------

DarylS
.700 member

#91982 - 19/12/07 02:06 AM

What fun! - The reason for long cases, underloaded to reduce pressure is for double rifles of the day that didn't like 55,000PSI. Cordite greatly increases pressure in hot climates, another reason for out-sized cases. I notice there are several doubles now chambered for high pressure rounds ie: .458's and .375's, .30/06, etc. All of these produce higher pressure than the hot-rodded .45/70's. I don't see pressure as being a valid point - maybe back in 1920, but not now.
; Would I take a Marlin to Africa - bloody not. I've a great .375/06IMP that exceeds original H&H ballistics and can easliy re-chamber any .45 to another nice '.458 Alaskan' (rebated rim .450 Alaskan on a bolt-gun) that easily does 2,200fps with 500's as it has slightly greater capacity than a .458 WM. It will probably do 2,250fps, but it's already faster and penetrates more deeply than most of the Nitros. Yeah, I know it's blasphemy to say things like that - sometimes the truth hurts.
; The truth of the matter, is that the hot-rodded .45/70 puts out ballistics that 'could' be effective and so far seems to have been effective, on some species African dangerous game. Remember one of John Taylor's favourites? - a single shot .577/450. That's shot a 480gr. lead, paper patched bullet at about 1,380fps.

--------------------
Daryl

Sarg
.400 member

#91994 - 19/12/07 08:28 AM

9ThreexFifty7

You will not like this ,this is in the days when I had less money than even now and less brains ?
(Yes I know hard to believe )
New England & H&R single shot 500gr Hornadys softs & solids BIG loads of 4227 & 3031 for around 1800fps .These would go right though Buff on side shots most times & always on Bantang !

And in a T.C Contender 400gr Barnes X heavy load of RE7 for around 2200fps !
Most times found under skin on far side .
I think most of the guys up there had Marlin lever guns ,don,t know there loads ,
I have seen some more affordable doubles in 45/70 ,half the price of full Nitro guns and wished I could will a 45/70 to be a D/G cartrigde ,but I think to much for these guns !

Sarg
.400 member

#91999 - 19/12/07 09:00 AM

hoppdoc

Yes I would not take a 45/70 after Ele by choice ,if it was all I had ? no problem to kill one with it, a BIG Bull in charge front on ,not so happy at all ,but what size would make a person happy in that situation ?
I have used & seen the 458 Win used on a lot of game it works very well !
I can not image a 480gr to 500 gr 45 Cal solid @ 2000 fps not going though a Ele brain !I think those stories are mistakes or tales from poeple who have not use it, or used it badly then blamed the cartrigde !
I helped cull some Ele (cows & small bulls )the 458 Win swatted them down ,I did not do so well with 375 H&H ,would do better now days with more experience I think !

9.3x57
.450 member

#92012 - 19/12/07 12:31 PM

Sarg...

I'm lovin' it!!

What year did H&R send .45-70 SS's over there?

A buddy of mine has one of those things and honestly, it handles very well, tho the fence post stock & plastic trigger guard don't make it anybody's favorite...

By the way, I have a hunch a 500 grain bullet cast of wheelweights and of similar configuration to the Hornady solid run at your 1800 fps would penetrate quite similarly. I do not think it would be difficult to rig up a test to compare the two.

--------------------

Sarg
.400 member

#92032 - 19/12/07 02:41 PM

9ThreeXFity7

I have no idea when they started but I,m sure they were here in the 70s in the older action ?
I have tried to post a photo of the one I have now in 500 3-1/4 Nitro ,I have shot this with full loads , but it is a bit too much really so now use hot 50-140 loads or Nitro for black loads
I think it is cool & you can get the metal trigger guard and fore end parts on line now !

hoppdoc
.400 member

#92033 - 19/12/07 02:55 PM

Just a few articles regarding problems with the 500 gr 458 at 1900+ with Ele and the marked improvement with the 458 Lott et al--Some of this is due to case capacity/bullet quality but note 1900+ fps only penetrated one half as deep as others 200fps faster.

http://www.cybertorpedo.com/africanhunter/classcart/458_watts_lott_01.htm

http://www.african-hunter.com/WhatsWrong.htm

http://www.cybertorpedo.com/africanhunter/firearms/solids_monometals_04.htm

If this is so then how would a 540 gr at 1550 fps(much,much slower) possibly hold its own??

--------------------

Edited by hoppdoc (19/12/07 02:56 PM)

9.3x57
.450 member

#92039 - 19/12/07 03:44 PM

Quote:

Some of this is due to case capacity/bullet quality but note 1900+ fps only penetrated one half as deep as others 200fps faster.

If this is so then how would a 540 gr at 1550 fps(much,much slower) possibly hold its own??

SARG: Thanks for the picture!! Looks like a great rifle. I can imagine that it lets you know when it goes off! What does it weigh?

Hoppdoc:

The reference to "1/2 as deep" penetration in the cybertorpedo site is, as I read it, due to bullet fragmentation/failure. Adding additional velocity would cause more fragmentation and less penetration, not less fragmentation and more penetration. In the case of a weak bullet, increased velocity causes fragmentation and poor penetration.

Incidently, I've used a similar test by placing an elk femur in front of my jugs. A heavy elk bone really taxes a bullet and I can imagine their tests work well indeed.

I have read of legitimate .458 WM failures but the cases I've read about in all likelihood did not involve 500 grain FMJ's at 1900 or so fps, but rather much lower and/or unknown velocities caused by squib loads which in turn were caused by clumping ball powder used in early loads. I am not saying that the penetration of a good solid at 1900 fps is the same as one at 2300 fps since if the bullet will stand it, the added velocity should increase penetration.

Again, I am not saying that a 540 grain cast bullet shot at 1550 fps is the world's standard in elephant stoppers, but I would not be surprised to hear that when presented with a broadside bull buffalo it would shoot clean through it.

You've got me really curious, though!

--------------------

DarylS
.700 member

#92098 - 20/12/07 03:41 AM

We sometimes fail to recognize what has transpired in the past, when we think of modern equipment for large and dangerous game. I acknowledge here and now that an Indian Elephant is not the same as an African variety, however these results are interesting.
; Back prior to 1860, Samual Baker once wrote in "The Field" magazine, referring to a 14 bore double rifle, that: " A ball of that size, if hardened somewhat and is driven by 4 to 4 1/2 drams of fine powder, will go through and through an elephant's head. I do not think this 'calibre' can be improved upon."
; We know he used much larger bores later, in Africa, 4 bore at least, and maybe 2, but was he happy with the 'little' 14 bore in India for epephant and buffalo? I think so. Most 14's of that era used a 15 bore ball, roughly .675" in diameter - about 470gr. in slightly hardened lead, bit heavier if murcury was used for hardening, when driven at a mere 1,400fps max, would exit an elephant's head or at least go side to side. Baker did prefer the side brain shot with this 'calibre'.
: Now, who thinks a .458" bullet of 100gr. MORE weight, will not penetrate to the brain? While I wouldn't use it for such, I think perhaps it is quite capable - especially if driven to 1,850fps.

--------------------
Daryl

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 74 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 18031

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com