Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Gunwerks New Nexus Rifle.. switch barrel,,

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Rifles

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)
Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
Re: Gunwerks New Nexus Rifle.. switch barrel,, [Re: ThreeThreeEight]
      #367031 - 23/06/22 11:23 AM

Quote:

Jeez Daryl_S...15,000 rounds of .458! What were you doing, practicing for a job if they ever start culling ele again in Zimbabwe?

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: Gunwerks New Nexus Rifle.. switch barrel,, [Re: Ripp]
      #367037 - 23/06/22 02:36 PM

Naa - LOL - just playing with it and various loads since 1975.
Some light loads too along with 400's at 2,150fps, 350's at 2,296fps and 510gr. WW at 2,060fps. In an 8 pound rifle, they still booted somewhat.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: Gunwerks New Nexus Rifle.. switch barrel,, [Re: DarylS]
      #367044 - 23/06/22 08:02 PM

Quote:

Quote:

As to the 6.5 fascination, the Creedmoor just took it to the next level others couldn't figure out..

Reduced recoil has been an attractant for some years now, due perhaps, to a "more recoil sensitive" generation?

The Swedes figured it out about 130 years ago.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Ripp
.577 member

Re: Gunwerks New Nexus Rifle.. switch barrel,, [Re: NitroX]
      #367046 - 23/06/22 11:05 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

As to the 6.5 fascination, the Creedmoor just took it to the next level others couldn't figure out..

Reduced recoil has been an attractant for some years now, due perhaps, to a "more recoil sensitive" generation?

The Swedes figured it out about 130 years ago.

YES..seems the CM is just an inproved version of the Swede model..

https://www.fieldandstream.com/story/guns/6-5-creedmoor-vs-the-6-5-55-swedish/

--------------------

Rule303
.416 member

Reged: 05/07/09
Loc: Woodford Qld
      #367086 - 24/06/22 09:03 AM

I would not mind having a play with one.

This quick change barrel though is not true. the barrels do not get changed quickly, rather slow indeed. Mind you I am use to the M60, Bren gun quick change. Move a lever, barrel out, new barrel in, close lever, cock action go on firing. Should be "In camp or home bench " chainable.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#367091 - 24/06/22 07:26 PM

Quote:

Quote:

The Swedes figured it out about 131 years ago.

YES..seems the CM is just an inproved version of the Swede model..

https://www.fieldandstream.com/story/guns/6-5-creedmoor-vs-the-6-5-55-swedish/

No. The writer is just an advertising slut for hire. Prostitute.

A $100 M96 Mauser Military 6.5x55 with "ex military" 140 gr FMJs shoot better than his lousy groups consistently. One small hole groups when I bother. With a heavy two stage trigger.

Writer slut I see never properly compared velocities. Handloaded the 6.5x55, which I will call from here on, the 6.5x55, is faster than the crudemore wannabe.

Handloading extremely easy. Only a retard can't find components.

Long distance? Faster. More accurate. Same bullets. Huh?

Slut writer needing to sell wannabe new rifles in a hyped wannabe non new plagiarised cartridge? Winner, Creedmoor!!!!!

--------------------
John aka NitroX

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#367092 - 24/06/22 07:35 PM

PS I wonder how this 29 inch 6.5x55 M96 barrels performed? Velocity and accuracy.

The M38s were shorter. Most of the crowbar rifles were shortened to sporting length.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#367134 - 25/06/22 08:42 PM

One day one of these article writers for hire will be on NE and have a go at me in return.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Ripp
.577 member

Re: Gunwerks New Nexus Rifle.. switch barrel,, [Re: Rule303]
      #367163 - 26/06/22 01:45 AM

Quote:

I would not mind having a play with one.

This quick change barrel though is not true. the barrels do not get changed quickly, rather slow indeed. Mind you I am use to the M60, Bren gun quick change. Move a lever, barrel out, new barrel in, close lever, cock action go on firing. Should be "In camp or home bench " chainable.

Think that is one of the desirable qualities should you have 2 barrels along for a distant hunt...could change from one caliber to another but really only bring 1 rifle --

For me, honestly I'd still prefer bringing 2 rifles .. Has never happened yet, key word being "yet".. but things do break.. rather be prepared and ready versus being stuck in the mud..

--------------------

Ripp
.577 member

#367164 - 26/06/22 01:50 AM

6.5 PRC vs. Other 6.5mm Cartridges

The Hornady 6.5 PRC is among the latest 6.5mm cartridge development; here's how it stacks up to others of the same caliber.

Case Capacity

6.5 Creedmoor-> 54.0 gr. H2O
6.5 Swede-> 57.9 gr. H2O
6.5 PRC-> 68.8 gr. H2O

https://www.shootingtimes.com/editorial/65-prc-vs-other-65mm-cartridges/372107

--------------------

ThreeThreeEight
.224 member

Reged: 18/05/22
Loc: BC, Canada
      #367173 - 26/06/22 05:14 AM

Quote:

One day one of these article writers for hire will be on NE and have a go at me in return.

Well I kind of think you are safe. I cannot ever remember a cartridge that managed to get so much play in the gun rags and applicable social media sites. For a while there it seemed like every magazine, paper, etc. had full blown articles on the cartridge and dozens of writers seemed to have taken possession of a rifle chambered in the round. Has to be one of the biggest marketing pushes I have ever seen.

For a while it seemed like every hunter/shooter I know had read about the 6.5 CM and was in a huge snot to get one. Now however, I can say that in the firearms for sale sites I keep an eye on, there are more used rifles chamber in 6.5 CM for sale than you can shake a stick at. Of the guys I have talked to that are selling, they all seem to have satisfied their curiosity and are now on to the next wonder cartridge.

In the mean time...and this is no doubt due to the aging process...I just bought myself a nice little Husqvarna 1600 chambered in the ancient 6.5x55. It is in excellent condition and similar to a Husky I owned many years ago. A sweet handling little rifle that has a degree of nostalgia attached to it in my case. Good chance the deer I whack with it will not be perturbed they were not sent over the rainbow bridge by one of the newer 6.5's.

Ripp
.577 member

#367180 - 26/06/22 09:48 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Well I kind of think you are safe. I cannot ever remember a cartridge that managed to get so much play in the gun rags and applicable social media sites. For a while there it seemed like every magazine, paper, etc. had full blown articles on the cartridge and dozens of writers seemed to have taken possession of a rifle chambered in the round. Has to be one of the biggest marketing pushes I have ever seen.

For a while it seemed like every hunter/shooter I know had read about the 6.5 CM and was in a huge snot to get one. Now however, I can say that in the firearms for sale sites I keep an eye on, there are more used rifles chamber in 6.5 CM for sale than you can shake a stick at. Of the guys I have talked to that are selling, they all seem to have satisfied their curiosity and are now on to the next wonder cartridge.

In the mean time...and this is no doubt due to the aging process...I just bought myself a nice little Husqvarna 1600 chambered in the ancient 6.5x55. It is in excellent condition and similar to a Husky I owned many years ago. A sweet handling little rifle that has a degree of nostalgia attached to it in my case. Good chance the deer I whack with it will not be perturbed they were not sent over the rainbow bridge by one of the newer 6.5's.

Well, in this neck of the woods it still seems to be really popular.. LR circuit and hunters both.. For what it is, its one heck of a cartridge.. no more no less perhaps than some others..but has really caught on . In the local gun shops.. its amazing how many are still being sold and how many new rifles are still being produced in that caliber..apparently demand is still there ..

My opinion, many items in the hunting world have improved with time.. Metal is better now than it was 50 years ago, scopes are better than they were 50 years ago, bullets are better (bonded vs non), cartridges are no different.. Might be a slight tweak here and there that won't make much difference to most..but for those who it will, the advantages are there..

AND.. People are really going to love this.. a 7PRC was just announce about 4 hours ago..posted a YOUTUBE video on it a bit ago.. lots of choices that I am sure will not be here 10 years from now..

--------------------

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#367191 - 26/06/22 05:07 PM

Quote:

Think that is one of the desirable qualities should you have 2 barrels along for a distant hunt...could change from one caliber to another but really only bring 1 rifle --

For me, honestly I'd still prefer bringing 2 rifles .. Has never happened yet, key word being "yet".. but things do break.. rather be prepared and ready versus being stuck in the mud..

The increasing reason for one rifle is air flights. From non US countries luggage weights are increasingly strictly controlled. I once paid close to a second ticket for costs of excess luggage for an African safari.

Carrying two firearms is an 8ncreasing impossibility. If hunting DG and plains game, making a .375, .404, or 416 a great idea.

If bringing two rifles, what intelligent person would not make one a double rifle!

Re double barrels which are with single shots, the original takedown and switch barrels, I have a project in mind with my scoped doubles. Working with different bullets and loads, can I have a dangerous load and a longer range load. Even if only with one barrel. Perhaps with two scopes?

Switch barrel bolt actions are increasingly popular as new designs.

Want two rifles? Get two the same design! I have two Mauser M03s. Can have a .404 and a 8x68S st the same time. But can only carry one!

--------------------
John aka NitroX

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#367192 - 26/06/22 05:11 PM

Quote:

Good man! The vintage cartridge is the better anyway.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

crshelton
.333 member

Reged: 10/11/15
Loc: Republic of Texas
      #367207 - 27/06/22 12:50 AM

Carrying two firearms is an 8ncreasing impossibility. If hunting DG and plains game, making a .375, .404, or 416 a great idea."

Agreed! I added my Win 1895 .405 to the list. I hand load 210, 300, and 400 grain ammo for it and that covers about anything I want to shoot.

--------------------
CRS,NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/

Ripp
.577 member

Re: Gunwerks New Nexus Rifle.. switch barrel,, [Re: crshelton]
      #367209 - 27/06/22 01:13 AM

Quote:

Carrying two firearms is an 8ncreasing impossibility. If hunting DG and plains game, making a .375, .404, or 416 a great idea."

Agreed! I added my Win 1895 .405 to the list. I hand load 210, 300, and 400 grain ammo for it and that covers about anything I want to shoot.

With the exception of my last trip to Africa, which was to Cameroon, I have always taken two. My 300RUM and 416Rem... Cameroon I just took one because of game in the area we were at as well as what I was hunting.. Plus heard lots of horror stories about getting in and out of there with all your gear.. Many of which proved to be true.. in that case I just took a 375H&H.. again took that in case my ammo didn't show up, which it didn't thankfully the PH has numerous boxes of it.. When I left they made me aware my ammo was at the airport. Which was given to me at that time so I gave it to the outfitter..

Ammo was originally held up at that liberal bastion Paris airport. BTW, have had issues every time I go through Paris, WAY to many liberals working there is all I an figure.. or dumb and lazy --OR all of the above. One of my hunting buddies has had the same issue at least 8 times. So now if at all possible I/we avoid Paris.

IF I were to go hunting in the wilds of places like Zim. again, My light rifle would be a .375.. I have stated this before and will again.. You never know what your going to bump into or how all the scenarios will play out during your time there.. A LOT can happen and the PH is NOT always there to assist.. Usually yes, always, NO..as it should be.. I will leave it there.. If headed to a hunt in a more controlled area like S Africa, different story..

My 300RUM and 416REM were good combos just the same.. Loaded 200gr A-Frames in the 300RUM and 400gr A-Frames in the 416.. BOTH hit game really hard.. 99% one shot kills.. Really like those bullets..

Just a few thoughts...

--------------------

Ripp
.577 member

#367211 - 27/06/22 01:21 AM

Quote:

Quote:

The increasing reason for one rifle is air flights. From non US countries luggage weights are increasingly strictly controlled. I once paid close to a second ticket for costs of excess luggage for an African safari.

Carrying two firearms is an 8ncreasing impossibility. If hunting DG and plains game, making a .375, .404, or 416 a great idea.

If bringing two rifles, what intelligent person would not make one a double rifle!

Re double barrels which are with single shots, the original takedown and switch barrels, I have a project in mind with my scoped doubles. Working with different bullets and loads, can I have a dangerous load and a longer range load. Even if only with one barrel. Perhaps with two scopes?

Switch barrel bolt actions are increasingly popular as new designs.

Want two rifles? Get two the same design! I have two Mauser M03s. Can have a .404 and a 8x68S st the same time. But can only carry one!

Switch barreled rifles make perfect sense for the traveling hunter.. Per your first commnet, airlines are becoming increasing difficult when it comes to a weight issue.. an extra barrel weighs way less than an addl rifle..

Having said that, when I make it back there I plan to take my W/R double in .470 and a bolt in .375 or .416..

--------------------

Ripp
.577 member

#367212 - 27/06/22 01:53 AM

Quote:

Quote:

"For some reason, humans develop strong emotional relationships with, and impressions of, cartridges. They may rate the Creedmoors as nothing but cartridges for millennial snowflakes, but may trust the .308 Winchester and .300 Winchester Magnum with their life, because, well, it’s an Army thing. External ballistics is a science, not a feeling. Pick the cartridge that best suits your needs, that you can afford to shoot a lot, and that will generate a tolerable level of recoil in your rifle."

--------------------

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#367222 - 27/06/22 06:24 PM

Quote:

Quote:

"For some reason, humans develop strong emotional relationships with ....

.... better cartridges.

Finished it off for you. Amazing a 131 year old cartridge is still the best!

--------------------
John aka NitroX

ThreeThreeEight
.224 member

Re: Gunwerks New Nexus Rifle.. switch barrel,, [Re: DarylS]
      #367239 - 28/06/22 04:07 AM

Quote:

Some light loads too along with 400's at 2,150fps, 350's at 2,296fps and 510gr. WW at 2,060fps. In an 8 pound rifle, they still booted somewhat.

Ya...I am shooting 350 gr. Speer and 350 gr. TSX out of my .458 for hunting at home. Using AA2230 and pushing them along at just over 2,450 fps. I could no doubt get a wee bit more velocity but there is no point. Both bullets shoot nice tight groups and they are putting out more than enough horsepower for anything I pull the trigger on here...which is usually bear and they are always DRT with a bounce. Certainly do not need to use it here either but the only way to stay completely familiar with it is to pack it around hunting at home.

ThreeThreeEight
.224 member

#367240 - 28/06/22 04:15 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

.... better cartridges.

Finished it off for you. Amazing a 131 year old cartridge is still the best!

Ripp
.577 member

#367242 - 28/06/22 04:18 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

.... better cartridges for hunting field mice..

Finished it off for you. Amazing a 131 year old cartridge is still the best mouse killer available!

WOW..so nice of you... Such a friend..

Thanks

--------------------

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#367252 - 28/06/22 09:41 PM

Ha ha.

Mine is accurate enough to shoot a mouse or a moose!

--------------------
John aka NitroX

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#367253 - 28/06/22 09:48 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Ya...I am shooting 350 gr. Speer and 350 gr. TSX out of my .458 for hunting at home. Using AA2230 and pushing them along at just over 2,450 fps. I could no doubt get a wee bit more velocity but there is no point. Both bullets shoot nice tight groups and they are putting out more than enough horsepower for anything I pull the trigger on here...which is usually bear and they are always DRT with a bounce. Certainly do not need to use it here either but the only way to stay completely familiar with it is to pack it around hunting at home.

Why not! With better powders the .458 Win Mag is very capable. I would load 480 gr Woodleighs in it not 500 or 510 gr projectiles. A much much more capable cartridge than a .45/70. The .458 Win Mag has an element of recent vintage nostalgia. IMO.

I considered a Whitworth K98 sold by 4seventy on here once. I remember the .458 Win Mag M70 African with fondness from catalogues maybe 1980? I wanted one back then. A cannon!

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Ripp
.577 member

#367262 - 28/06/22 11:55 PM

Quote:

Ha ha.

Mine is accurate enough to shoot a mouse or a moose!

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 31 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3514

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com