Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Sako 500 jeffers

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Rifles

Pages: 1
NorfolkShooter01
.224 member

Reged: 02/08/21
Loc: United Kingdom
Sako 500 jeffers
      #356539 - 04/09/21 04:01 AM

Chaps I know this is a popular rifle in Aus and was just wondering how well the fit, finish and function is like? I have been told the butt of the stock is too narrow and can be a tad more painful than it needs to be. Any info and thoughts would be super.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
grandveneur
.400 member

Reged: 21/09/08
Loc: France / Germany
Re: Sako 500 jeffers [Re: NorfolkShooter01]
      #356553 - 04/09/21 06:15 PM

I don't know Sako's gun, but I know the cartridge very well, and I have shot quite a bit with it in the last twenty years.

It seems to me that the 500 Jeffery has become a cartridge en vogue, whereby the cartridge 460 WBY-Magnum is still demonized despite being a much more versatile cartridge than the 500 Jeffery. I can compare because I have rifles in both calibers, rifles that I regularly used for buffalo and elephant hunting.

As an aside, I doubt a majority can handle well the cartridge 500 Jeffery, especially with the full load. I was able to determine this after I had some experienced hunters shoot with my rifle. Nobody fired more than one shot. That explains why used rifles of this caliber are regularly offered.

NorfolkShooter01
.224 member

Re: Sako 500 jeffers [Re: grandveneur]
      #356554 - 04/09/21 06:24 PM

I cant seem to find any secondhand 500j rifles in the UK anyway.

grandveneur
.400 member

Reged: 21/09/08
Loc: France / Germany
Re: Sako 500 jeffers [Re: NorfolkShooter01]
      #356555 - 04/09/21 06:29 PM

On eGun in Germany there are often offers, rarely with Mauser Magnum systems which I would recommend.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: Sako 500 Jeffery [Re: grandveneur]
      #356573 - 05/09/21 10:33 AM

Quote:

I don't know Sako's gun, but I know the cartridge very well, and I have shot quite a bit with it in the last twenty years.

It seems to me that the 500 Jeffery has become a cartridge en vogue, whereby the cartridge 460 WBY-Magnum is still demonized despite being a much more versatile cartridge than the 500 Jeffery. I can compare because I have rifles in both calibers, rifles that I regularly used for buffalo and elephant hunting.

As an aside, I doubt a majority can handle well the cartridge 500 Jeffery, especially with the full load. I was able to determine this after I had some experienced hunters shoot with my rifle. Nobody fired more than one shot. That explains why used rifles of this caliber are regularly offered.

I don't own either. But I can't see any reason to push a .458 500 gr projectile 200 to 500 fps faster in the .460 Wby Magnum. Does one want to snipe at long range with the .460 Wby Magnum? 2200 fps and not 2700 fps still kills fine for elephant and buffalo. The Lott might do 2400 fps. 2700 fps plus or minus is just un-necessary recoil.

I would go up in calibre for better killing power anywday than more velovity with a lesser bore. Wider bullet and heavier, much better idea for dangerous and thick skiined game. Just my thoughts.

Yes I have fired, .500 Jeffery's, .577 NEs, .600 NEs and shot more than one round at a time. I am not sure if I fired a South African friends .460 Wby Mag. I don't think so.

At the Heym International Challenge in Swinefurt Germany, I was going to use a .577 3" NE as my competition gun for the elephant, buffalo, lion, leopard, balloon whatever targets in the competition. I think my shoulder might have been sore by the end of the day. Had some shots with it ad hoc, for fun, to try it out, with some other competitors from the USA before our group was stopped. I think maybe the .577 might have been outside the ranges limits. Used a .450/400 Heym DR instead. Managed to win the Elephant shoot with a perfect score of brain shots. Some of the targets were video images, the lion killed me most times. The elephants dropped like WDM Bell was shooting them.

(I forget which competition shoots were which. Some used live real ammo in the .450/400's, .375sm .416s, .30's etc. I used a .450/400 for all of it. Some shoots MAY have had a laser in the barrel? I forget).

Too many years ago, I was tempted by a Century Arms, I assume Ralph Babnich, Mauser M98 .500 Jeffery custom rifle. He was making a few the same at the time. A$4000 I think they were? I was fascinated by the large hole in the end of the barrel. Instead as I was looking for a .404, .416 or .375, I ended up settling for a .375 H&H Mag, my Whitworth M98. They made these for a few years before stopping. Some were sold in the USA.

Sorry I have never seen or used a .500 Jeffery in a Sako rifle.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Edited by NitroX (05/09/21 10:47 AM)

Waidmannsheil
.400 member

Reged: 19/04/13
Loc: Melbourne Australia
Re: Sako 500 jeffers [Re: grandveneur]
      #356574 - 05/09/21 10:34 AM

NS, the Sako rifles in 500 Jeffery are very popular at our BGRC shoots as they are affordable although there are two models. The Brown Bear model and the Safari model, with the latter having a longer barrel, a bigger stock and more weight but also a much bigger price tag. About $15K versus about $5K for the Brown Bear. The Brown Bear however is realistically too light with full power loads especially if you are going to shoot 570 or 600 grain projectiles. A number of guys in the club have that model and even the ones that are well anchored to the ground will often take a step back when the fire a shot. The Safari is a lot nicer in every way but a shit load more expensive. A compromise could be to get a Brown Bear model and have it restocked with a better stock shape and a recoil reducer.

Matt.

--------------------
There is nothing wrong with vegetarian food, so long as there is meat with it.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: Sako 500 Jeffery [Re: Waidmannsheil]
      #356576 - 05/09/21 10:45 AM

Quote:

NS, the Sako rifles in 500 Jeffery are very popular at our BGRC shoots as they are affordable although there are two models. The Brown Bear model and the Safari model, with the latter having a longer barrel, a bigger stock and more weight but also a much bigger price tag. About $15K versus about $5K for the Brown Bear. The Brown Bear however is realistically too light with full power loads especially if you are going to shoot 570 or 600 grain projectiles. A number of guys in the club have that model and even the ones that are well anchored to the ground will often take a step back when the fire a shot. The Safari is a lot nicer in every way but a shit load more expensive. A compromise could be to get a Brown Bear model and have it restocked with a better stock shape and a recoil reducer.

Matt.

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=sako+Brown+Bea...s&ia=images

Not too bad looking. But I assume not controlled round feed?

Matt, could not weight be added to inside the existing stock?

I would assume restocking nicely would add a good $2000 plus to the price tag. From a blank that is.

Per the Sako Finland website the Sako 85 Safari is 4.4 kgs while the Brown Bear 85 is 4.1 kgs.

A recoil dampener in the butt might make all the difference? Don't know, neved used one. Maybe some weight in the forend as well?

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Waidmannsheil
.400 member

Re: Sako 500 Jeffery [Re: NitroX]
      #356579 - 05/09/21 01:29 PM

John, they are a laminated stock which I personally despise but some people love them. Each to their own. You could add a recoil reducer or maybe two into the butt but then it upsets the balance noticeably if the stock wasn't built with a recoil reducer in mind from the start.
Ross Waghorn charges $3k for a bolt action stock plus wood which is made from a solid blank, he will not use pre-inletted blanks. About $4k if you want a cheek piece as well. I would guess that stock makers in England would charge similar. While it adds to the original purchase price it will actually do what you want. If it doesn't fit and beats you up every time you fire it then you end up selling it quickly so it ends up a waste of time. Better to spend the extra and have a rifle that you like to shoot.

I would like to add another one to my 505 in the butt (It already has one) and then fit another smaller one in the forend. The thing you have to be careful about if fitting one to the forend is they have a tendency to split the wood, however on the CZ550 there is a very large recoil block integral to the barrel so I will try to mount it so that it rests against that recoil block.

With the CZ550 the barrel is profiled instead of having a straight taper like the original 505'S and 500 Jeffery's so it looses some weight there. I believe that once the stock is reshaped and the extra recoil reducers are added it will be easy to shoot.

Matt.

--------------------

Marrakai
.416 member

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: Darwin, Top End of Australia
      #356587 - 05/09/21 04:39 PM

As stated on another thread, our local Big Game Rifle Club has a Sako Brown Bear .500J, with a nice fat pad and recoil reducer in the butt, as its Group 3 Nitro club-gun.
Sure, the Safari model would have been better, and a custom magnum Mauser would be fabulous, but both are beyond the means of our meagre club budget.
...and we're not enamored by laminated stocks either, but they sure beat synthetic for the firing line.
Two members were sufficiently impressed by the "punch for the price" that they subsequently bought their own, and another member has a lovely custom Brno 602 in the same chambering.

We feed our club-gun with 535gr Woodleigh bullets over 115gr AR2209 (H4350) for 2170fps and ~5600ftlbs ME. The other club-members use the same load.

Even prospective new members are handed this rifle often enough to appreciate that it is an absolute hoot to shoot! Yes there's recoil aplenty, but its quite manageable in the combination discussed here.

If you're not bound to a particular ME minimum just drop the load by 5 or 10 grains. It will still give 2000fps or better and be even more 'pleasant' to shoot!

Hope this account gives you some encouragement NS01!

--------------------
Marrakai
When the bull drops, the bullshit stops!
--------------------------------
www.marrakai-adventure.com.au

Waidmannsheil
.400 member

Re: Sako 500 Jeffery [Re: Marrakai]
      #356588 - 05/09/21 07:05 PM

Tony, agreed and thats why the Brown Bear is by far the most popular 500 at our club as well. When I first joined many years ago we would only get half a dozen people shooting Group 3 but now we have a full field of 16 every time and sometimes a second detail as well. It has become a very popular event and it is mainly due to the reasonably priced choices of the Sako Brown Bear and the CZ550.

Matt

--------------------

NorfolkShooter01
.224 member

#356610 - 06/09/21 08:00 AM

Thanks guys you have given me plenty of info to go on. I suppose i can make up a lead weight to put in the hole that will need to be drilled out on the stock but that can all be done when fitting a better pad. I have used kick eez in the past and found them to be super.
I only ask about the lead weight as recoil reducers are like hens teeth in the UK. Mind you a tungsten bar would be better

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#356617 - 06/09/21 03:10 PM

Quote:

Tony, agreed and thats why the Brown Bear is by far the most popular 500 at our club as well. When I first joined many years ago we would only get half a dozen people shooting Group 3 but now we have a full field of 16 every time and sometimes a second detail as well. It has become a very popular event and it is mainly due to the reasonably priced choices of the Sako Brown Bear and the CZ550.

I'm jealous of Melbourne (but not not DAN!) and Darwin, with club .500's, we have a handfull of pot rifles, Lithgow single shot .22 RFs as our club guns! :O

--------------------
John aka NitroX

500Boswell
.400 member

Reged: 21/07/06
Loc: Queensland
      #356624 - 06/09/21 08:27 PM

There are a few vids on you tube on the Sako 500 ,but dont really tell you much ,apart from one vid where they say it hurt to shoot, and that was enough for them ,two gun shops in QLD have them for around 5300.00 ,I don't know if its sacrilege to suggest fitting it with a muzzle break, which make a big difference in recoil ,and with 535gr projs a kid could shoot it .Since the cost of restocking it and finding a willing person to do its getting harder to find .

NorfolkShooter01
.224 member

Re: Sako 500 Jeffery [Re: 500Boswell]
      #356651 - 08/09/21 03:42 AM

I suppose it can be mag na ported. Im lead to believe it tames the recoil but dont make it louder. Im just thinking of the other people around me

9.3x57
.450 member

Reged: 22/04/07
Loc: United States
      #356653 - 08/09/21 05:54 AM

Quote:

...and we're not enamored by laminated stocks either, but they sure beat synthetic for the firing line.

Just the guy for this question:

I've owned a total of two laminated stock rifles and they BOTH failed in the same way.

One was a post-War Czech military Mauser w/ the big Winter triggerguard and the other a Ruger .223 Predator. On the both of them the stocks delammed under the action.

Now neither was a hard kicker but my experience w/ 2 widely variable rifles has me wondering...do laminated stock rifles REALLY hold up as well as solid wood, especially w/ the hard kickers like a .500? Cuz I'm now skeptical.

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

Marrakai
.416 member

Re: Sako 500 Jeffery [Re: 9.3x57]
      #356661 - 08/09/21 10:33 PM

Not much good askin' me!

Our Sako club-gun will never leave the range, so delamination is pretty unlikely.

The only laminated-stock rifle I've ever personally owned was a single-rune Waffen-SS Mauser, and it was still in great shape when I moved it on.

Never owned a synthetic-stocked rifle in my life either, for that matter! Probly never will.

Did look sideways at a stainless/synthetic Ruger M77/44 once though, as a corporate firearm, but it would have ended up being a frivolous ute gun...

--------------------
Marrakai

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#356680 - 10/09/21 09:11 PM

Quote:

The only laminated-stock rifle I've ever personally owned was a ...

Never owned a synthetic-stocked rifle in my life either, for that matter! Probly never will.

Tony, you are my hero!

--------------------
John aka NitroX

3DogMike
.400 member

Reged: 29/01/15
Loc: Western Slope, Colorado USA
      #356711 - 12/09/21 04:04 AM

As to laminated stocks; yes, I have one (only one) and it is an early production “Ed Plummer Era” .500 AHR. Cursory look and one would not know it was laminated. It is 5 ply with center 3 ply a total 15mm wide and the outsides have look and figure just as you would expect with a normal wood stock. Almost not noticeable a laminate.

The .500 AHR is basically a modernized .500 Jeff in a CZ550 action and thus far the stock has held up with no issues.
When I got it there were iron bars in the buttstock which I had replaced with mercury recoil reducers. Frankly I could not tell any real difference in recoil, either way it is quite enough thankyou.

As to synthetic stock….nope, never have, and like Tony probably never will…..

- Mike

--------------------
"Here's to killing people you don't like with people you do"

"Will Rogers never met a fighter pilot"
- Anon

“Always carry a flask of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore always carry a small snake."
-- W. C. Fields

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: Sako 500 Jeffery [Re: 3DogMike]
      #356723 - 12/09/21 03:43 PM

I thought Tony used a plastic stock in Queensland for Red deer? I did have a minor stroke over that thread????

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Marrakai
.416 member

#356726 - 12/09/21 04:48 PM

John:
Major stroke, by all accounts!

Every red stag and hind I have ever taken have been with that compact Ruger RSI with the WALNUT Mannlicher-style full-wood stock. What a lot of members here call a stutzen.

I did use a borrowed 6.5 Swede with a laminated timber stock to take a couple of chital stags and a hind many years ago, as at that time I couldn't get a booking with a firearm-friendly airline into North Queensland on short notice.

Just remembered something funny:
there's a photo floating around of me taking a few shots at the range with a stainless Remington 700 .308 in a particularly ugly AICS chassis. What my mate Marty called a "Planet of the Apes" rifle! The owner was a young Captain in the Army who carried it as his hunting rifle (!) but was disappointed that it wouldn't shoot. I had no trouble making a one-hole 5-shot group with it at 100m from the sitting position, elbows on knees, which result pointed out a few home-truths to that young fellow. I have to admit, that horrible contraption could certainly shoot, but its owner couldn't!

Didn't make me want to race out and buy one though....

Thread well-and-truly hijacked now! Sorry Norfolk...

--------------------
Marrakai

NorfolkShooter01
.224 member

#356744 - 14/09/21 05:01 AM

No worries mate!!

But I know the type of person you mean. Right nice gear bugger all idea. Whats worse when you get a person with bad gear, bugger all idea but still thinks it ok to go dangerous game hunting with no practice with a new to them rifle that might not even work. And yes I know of such an individual

Pages: 1

Extra information
1 registered and 27 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 4405

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com