Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: DORLEAC on Schultz & Larsen 65DL

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Rifles

Pages: 1
DORLEAC
.333 member

Reged: 22/01/12
Loc: Perpignan, France
DORLEAC on Schultz & Larsen 65DL
      #344204 - 10/08/20 04:06 AM

Even if this could be surprising for those who know my love for the pre WW2 Oberndorf made Original Mauser 98' system, here is one of my favorite rifles.
I have always considered the Schultz & Larsen action, and more specifically the 65 and 68DL models, to be one of the best bolt-action mechanisms ever made.
In the sixties, H.P White Laboratory tested one of these rifles and brought it up to 129,000 psi, without encountering any problem other than some difficulty with the bolt lift.
Danish build quality and excellent trigger design made me choose an M65DL action for my own 6.5x55SE rifle.
Of course it was necessary to make some modifications, difficult alterations on a receiver and bolt treated at more than 50° Rockwell hardness.
After full blueprinting, the action was fitted on AU4G bedding pillars.
The 25" barrel is an alloy steel Lothar-Walther profiled in our usual shape while the French walnut classic stock takes up our standards.
Indeed the metal parts have been slow rust blued with the exception of the bolt body and trigger left in the white.
An old Swarovski Z3 4-12x50 BRX scope on modified Talley mounts completes the set.
A small Talley diopter, sliding on the rear base, overcomes a possible optical problem.

Regards to all.

DORLEAC
www.dorleac-dorleac.com

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: DORLEAC on Schultz & Larsen 65DL [Re: DORLEAC]
      #344210 - 10/08/20 07:38 AM

Beautiful Joel, absolutely beautiful, quite typical of your 'more plain' rifles.
The engraved butt cap is lovely.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

93x64mm
.416 member

Reged: 07/12/11
Loc: Nth QLD Australia
Re: DORLEAC on Schultz & Larsen 65DL [Re: DarylS]
      #344212 - 10/08/20 08:10 AM

Never seen one of these in the flesh so to speak, and it makes perfect sense to mate the 6.5x55 with this action! It seems as the action is very long, almost a magnum length; that ejection port is quite substantial - what length size cartridges was it capable of?
As far as strength I don't think you have any issue there, must be right up with the Arisaka as far as that goes!
Lovely work as always Mr D, is this one actually yours or is this a customer's rifle?
Wonderful stock work to say the least & yes I certainly agree with Daryl the grip cap is a rather nice touch indeed.

vykkagur
.300 member

Reged: 28/11/19
Loc: Canada
Re: DORLEAC on Schultz & Larsen 65DL [Re: 93x64mm]
      #344217 - 10/08/20 10:06 AM

A beautiful piece of work (as always), and in my favourite caliber, too! That has to be the cleanest-looking action I've ever seen, and I'm pleased to see you've made provision for a back-up sight, just in case.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
      #344224 - 10/08/20 02:30 PM

Thanks for the entertaining post, Joel, and the chance to see yet again a superb piece of rifle working art. Wonderful rifle for your own gun rack and mountain hunting needs.

Quote:

A small Talley diopter, sliding on the rear base, overcomes a possible optical problem.

When you get a chance, if possible, I would love to see some photos of this setup. To compare to the scoped setup. Always good to have alternative sighting systems, and especially those that work with older eyes.

PS when I get a chance I will modify your post, and add edited photos which fit, but also allow these larger photos to be opened for a detailed examination. Thanks for posting again.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Edited by NitroX (10/08/20 02:32 PM)

Homer
.416 member

Reged: 07/04/09
Loc: Canberra, Australia
Re: DORLEAC on Schultz & Larsen 65DL [Re: NitroX]
      #344227 - 10/08/20 05:06 PM

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm Donuts!

D'oh!
Homer

--------------------
"Beware the Lolly Pop of Mediocrity,
Lick it Once and You Will Suck Forever"

eagle27
.400 member

Reged: 24/01/09
Loc: Nelson, New Zealand
Re: DORLEAC on Schultz & Larsen 65DL [Re: Homer]
      #344231 - 10/08/20 07:16 PM

Very nice and finally so nice to see a scope mounted as it should be, as low as possible. I used an M65 and then an M60 S&L rifle, both chambered for the 7x61 S&H magnum cartridge, for several decades of hunting and had a 6X Kahles scope mounted in low 26mm original Weaver rings on Weaver bases. Had to take a small scallop out of the chamber taper on the S&L barrel which had a longer taper than that on the Lothar barrel to give slight clearance to the Kahles objective bell. The 26" S&L factory barrels were superb as were the triggers, and the actions as smooth as glass.

The action well suited the belted magnum case. I don't think I have ever seen a factory rifle so perfectly put together, as smooth to operate and as accurate. Look at that massive lockup, just can't be beat.

Great workmanship to create the custom job you have but you did have the best to work with after all.

PatagonHunter
.300 member

Reged: 20/01/06
Loc: Bariloche, Patagonia Argentina
Re: DORLEAC on Schultz & Larsen 65DL [Re: eagle27]
      #344233 - 10/08/20 11:04 PM

Hello Mr. DORLEAC,

Improving the best...as usual!
I never had in my hands any Schultz & Larsen rifle but I have some writings about them. At their time they were one of the best made rifles, both the action (design and making) and the barrel as well. Here we have some match free rifles with S&L barrels. None better.
Like your rifle very much!

Best!

PH

Louis
.375 member

Reged: 13/05/15
Loc: France
Re: DORLEAC on Schultz & Larsen 65DL [Re: PatagonHunter]
      #344344 - 16/08/20 05:07 AM

Dear Joël
This rifle is - as we have been used to with your masterpieces, a really wonderful piece of fine craftsmanship; may I ask which trigger you choose to install, is it an original S&L one or an improved model?
Louis

--------------------
"Everything that doesn't kill me makes me stronger"

DORLEAC
.333 member

Reged: 22/01/12
Loc: Perpignan, France
Re: DORLEAC on Schultz & Larsen 65DL [Re: Louis]
      #344368 - 17/08/20 03:48 PM

The original S&L trigger is so well designed and so well made that it doesn't take much to make it one of the best triggers we have ever had the pleasure of using.
I'm sorry, the times are terribly busy and I can't always answer questions or thank everyone who has a nice word for the Dorleac Team.
I will try to make some time to participate in this forum more often.

DORLEAC
www.dorleac-dorleac.com

Louis
.375 member

Reged: 13/05/15
Loc: France
      #344382 - 18/08/20 04:01 AM

Thank you very much, Joël.
Louis

--------------------
"Everything that doesn't kill me makes me stronger"

Rule303
.416 member

Reged: 05/07/09
Loc: Woodford Qld
Re: DORLEAC on Schultz & Larsen 65DL [Re: Louis]
      #344388 - 18/08/20 09:20 AM

That is a great rifle made even better. I had the pleasure of handling one of these at the range. The bolt was that smooth it only required the rifle to be tiled the slightest amount and the bolt would slide shut.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
      #344398 - 18/08/20 03:10 PM

Quote:

The original S&L trigger is so well designed and so well made that it doesn't take much to make it one of the best triggers we have ever had the pleasure of using.
I'm sorry, the times are terribly busy and I can't always answer questions or thank everyone who has a nice word for the Dorleac Team.
I will try to make some time to participate in this forum more often.

DORLEAC
www.dorleac-dorleac.com

Joel, It is better for your team to be busy and hard at work, than sitting around looking for things to do! Good work. Your posts and viewing of rifles are always appreciated.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 61 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2977

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com