Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Sig develops NEW .277 Sig Fury -

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Rifles

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
Sig develops NEW .277 Sig Fury -
      #335831 - 26/12/19 08:43 AM

https://www.tactical-life.com/gear/ammo/277-sig-fury-hybrid-case-design/

Earlier this week, SIG Sauer unveiled the Cross. The Cross is first-ever bolt-action rifle built by SIG from the ground up. While all of the focus was on the rifle itself, something flew under the radar. SIG initially has the Cross available in three calibers: 6.5 Creedmoor, .308, and 277 SIG Fury. If you watched our exclusive range video on the Cross, that last offering may have caused some confusion. Well, lucky for you we also have the exclusive on the new round from SIG.

The U.S. Military and the 277 SIG Fury

Followers of the United States’ military development of the 6.8 SPC as an alternative to the 5.56 NATO several years ago might be surprised to learn that this project has evolved into a new program to replace the M249 SAW in up-front units, initially, and the M16, ultimately. Formerly known as the Enhanced Rifle Cartridge Program, the 6.8 SPC was born.

In early October 2018 the Army issued a DRAFT Prototype Opportunity Notice (PON) for Next Generation Squad Weapons (NGSW). The draft NGSW PON detailed “how the Government intends to award up to three prototype Other Transaction Agreements (OTAs), with each Offeror developing two weapon variants and a common cartridge for both weapons, utilizing Government provided 6.8 millimeter projectiles. The weapons include the Next Generation Squad Weapon-Rifle (NGSW-R) and the Next Generation Squad Weapon-Automatic Rifle (NGSW-AR),” according to fbo.gov. “The NGSW-R is the planned replacement for the M4/M4A1 Carbine and the NGSW-AR is the planned replacement for the M249 Squad Automatic Weapon (SAW) in the Automatic Rifleman Role in Brigade Combat Teams (BCT).”

Initially, five companies were selected by the NGSAR program to produce six prototypes: AAI Corporation Textron Systems; FN America LLC; General Dynamics-OTS Inc.; PCP Tactical, LLC; and SIG Sauer, Inc. FN America was allowed to produce two prototypes.

Currently, SIG is moving forward with civilian versions of its 6.8mm cartridge developed for the competition, the 277 SIG Fury. This cartridge utilizes a hybrid case technology made from brass and other materials. The combination is rated to handle 80,000 psi of chamber pressure. By comparison, “magnum” cartridges typically produce a maximum of 62,000 psi.

277 SIG Fury Ballistics
This added pressure will drive a 135-grain bullet from SIG’s Hybrid Match cartridge 3,000 fps from a 16-inch barrel, and produce 2,694 ft.-lbs. of energy. The 135-grain bullet has a respectable .488 G1 BC.

SIG’s 277 Fury Hybrid Hunting load features a 140-grain bullet with a .508 G1 BC, launching from a 16-inch barrel at 2,950 fps. That one produces 2,706 ft.-lbs. of muzzle energy, too.

One of the benefits of creating hybrid case technology for SIG is that the case is 20-percent lighter in weight for a loaded cartridge than a standard brass-cased cartridge. The 277 SIG Fury maintains “decreased failure rates in the most vulnerable element of the case” through its “commercialization of ‘Military Technology,'” according to company experts. The end result becomes “increased range and lethality … flatter shooting … and better performance in shorter than average barrel lengths (which) reduce the overall length and weight of the firearm.”

These cartridges will be available in 2020. Additionally, SIG and other companies should offer rifles to handle these hot new rounds. For more information, please visit sigsauer.com.

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: Sig develops NEW .277 Sig Fury - [Re: Ripp]
      #335834 - 26/12/19 09:30 AM

80,000 PSI - that's stoking it.
I'm very interested to find out about this new case material technology, apart from the 2-piece case.
That in itself, might be all it takes, but the primer cup material must also be differently made from standard.
Perhaps the newer mil-spec primers with heavier cups will withstand those pressures?

Sarg
.400 member

Reged: 20/01/07
Loc: Nil
      #335836 - 26/12/19 09:42 AM

Holy shit, that 80,000 PSI is crazy & makes this cartridge more than equal of a .270Win, I don't like the .270Win myself, but for Human targets it will be deadly !

You would think it will wear ever thing out faster & be more liable to problems in the field with that much pressure ?

Is it like a .27/08 as I see it is 6.8X51 ?

I just wish back in the day they never invented the .270-.277 diameter & just kept the 7mm-.284 & we would be a lot better off today, I always try to get my mates looking at a .270Win to move up to a .280Rem-7mm Express or Ackley !

Ripp
.577 member

Re: Sig develops NEW .277 Sig Fury - [Re: Sarg]
      #335840 - 26/12/19 03:15 PM

Additional and better info..

https://www.gunsamerica.com/digest/277-sig-fury-demystified/

Ripp
.577 member

#335841 - 26/12/19 03:34 PM

More..
https://www.ballisticmag.com/2019/12/18/sig-cross-bolt-action-rifle-first-look/

--------------------

Sarg
.400 member

#335845 - 26/12/19 05:36 PM

Rip, if that is the same as the "gunsamerica" web sale site we out of the US have been bared from it for over ten years now !

Ripp
.577 member

#335851 - 27/12/19 12:05 AM

Quote:

Rip, if that is the same as the "gunsamerica" web sale site we out of the US have been bared from it for over ten years now !

Why is that?? You are not allowed to use that website??

--------------------

DarylS
.700 member

#335867 - 27/12/19 05:11 AM

Quote:

Holy shit, that 80,000 PSI is crazy & makes this cartridge more than equal of a .270Win, I don't like the .270Win myself, but for Human targets it will be deadly !

You would think it will wear ever thing out faster & be more liable to problems in the field with that much pressure ?

I just wish back in the day they never invented the .270-.277 diameter & just kept the 7mm-.284 & we would be a lot better off today, I always try to get my mates looking at a .270Win to move up to a .280Rem-7mm Express or Ackley !

Yeah - barrel wear will be faster than the normal lower pressure version, but should be much better than the standard .270 - due to the amount of powder burned. The elevated pressure results could sway, bring them closer together, however a life of as little as 2,000rounds would suck.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

Ripp
.577 member

Re: Sig develops NEW .277 Sig Fury - [Re: DarylS]
      #335869 - 27/12/19 05:26 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Yeah - barrel wear will be faster than the normal lower pressure version, but should be much better than the standard .270 - due to the amount of powder burned. The elevated pressure results could sway, bring them closer together, however a life of as little as 2,000rounds would suck.

I am guessing, because this was started and still in the process of being developed for the military, something NEW is up their sleeve..don't think the government will purchase a firearm with a 2000 round barrel life.. Makes no sense..but then, it is the government..

--------------------

DarylS
.700 member

#335874 - 27/12/19 08:40 AM

Like the .5 Browning - quick change barrels? Only 16" long.

--------------------
Daryl

Sarg
.400 member

#335875 - 27/12/19 08:57 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Why is that?? You are not allowed to use that website??

We are blocked if not US (or North American) IP address, I did contact them many years back by Face Book & they said they would look into the Australian - NZ side but never did as far as I know ?

DarylS
.700 member

#335879 - 27/12/19 12:23 PM

Some links are "not available in your country" - other times, it's a "fail to load" or some other excuse.

Although I do not know conclusively, it is likely this is done at a request of a country's government.

--------------------
Daryl

Ripp
.577 member

Re: Sig develops NEW .277 Sig Fury - [Re: DarylS]
      #335880 - 27/12/19 01:24 PM

Quote:

Some links are "not available in your country" - other times, it's a "fail to load" or some other excuse.

Although I do not know conclusively, it is likely this is done at a request of a country's government.

Certainly makes one appreciate the freedoms currently offered by other parts of the world if that is the case..

I thought China and N Korea were the only ones blocking items/information on the net..

--------------------

Sarg
.400 member

#335881 - 27/12/19 01:55 PM

Oh No, it is blocked from the freedom Loving US end Thanks very much & so are many other sites !!

I asked them, they block it !!

Same as heaps of stuff on Ebay, lots of US sellers seemed surprised to hear there is other country's out side the US lol !

Rule303
.416 member

Reged: 05/07/09
Loc: Woodford Qld
      #335898 - 27/12/19 06:59 PM

Quote:

Oh No, it is blocked from the freedom Loving US end Thanks very much & so are many other sites !!

Same as heaps of stuff on Ebay, lots of US sellers seemed surprised to here there is other country's out side the US lol !

The website opens for me in Aust.

Rule303
.416 member

Reged: 05/07/09
Loc: Woodford Qld
      #335899 - 27/12/19 07:05 PM

Quote:

That is moving and high pressure.

277 is as close to 7mm as you get. I prefer it to the 7mm's. Just my thing. US went for the 6.8 as the original developers of the 6.8 Special force types wanted something that hits way harder than 223 out to 300mts, puts a bigger hole than 6.5 and the 7mm was to heavy for the available powder volume with projectile weight required. So they split the difference. It works as required. So now they are after more of a good thing and sticking the 6.8 projectile into a case about the same as a 308 it would look like.

I some how doubt we will be seeing the required reloading components any time soon.

Edited by Rule303 (28/12/19 07:20 AM)

Sarg
.400 member

Re: Sig develops NEW .277 Sig Fury - [Re: Rule303]
      #335900 - 27/12/19 07:17 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Same as heaps of stuff on Ebay, lots of US sellers seemed surprised to here there is other country's out side the US lol !

Can you log onto the GunsAmerica firearms sale site like you can onto Guns International ?

I couldn't when I was in Australia (but haven't tried for a while) & haven't tried in South Africa but in NZ it is still blocked by the Web site ?

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
      #335902 - 27/12/19 10:45 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Can you log onto the GunsAmerica firearms sale site like you can onto Guns International ?

I couldn't when I was in Australia (but haven't tried for a while) & haven't tried in South Africa but in NZ it is still blocked by the Web site ?

I can see both the Digest article and did a search for "nitro express" on the Guns America site and could then view a double rifle. I am not logged into the site though.

I do have some vague recollection of restrictions on a USA gun selling site in the past years ago.

NW may well restrict some of these USA sites because of edicts by Comrade Ardern. That was specifically mentioned after the CC incident. That the NZ internet was censoring and banning he viewing of some US sites. Was AR15.con a restricted site?

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: Sig develops NEW .277 Sig Fury - [Re: NitroX]
      #335903 - 27/12/19 10:48 PM

For a military cartridge a 3000 fps, 135 gr bullet of around 500 BC is pretty potent.

Can those rounds be fired from a full auto assault style rifle? Whatever design might replace the M16/M4?

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Sarg
.400 member

#335919 - 28/12/19 07:15 AM

Quote:

I can see both the Digest article and did a search for "nitro express" on the Guns America site and could then view a double rifle. I am not logged into the site though.

I do have some vague recollection of restrictions on a USA gun selling site in the past years ago.

NW may well restrict some of these USA sites because of edicts by Comrade Ardern. That was specifically mentioned after the CC incident. That the NZ internet was censoring and banning he viewing of some US sites. Was AR15.con a restricted site?

Thats good maybe they did unblock Aussie, I was in Australia when I contacted "Guns America" on their FB page as we couldn't access the site & they told me they had blocked non US IP addresses !

I'm sure NZ Government doesn't block any Gun sites (not at this stage) I could always log onto AR15 Com still can now, was surprised not to be blocked at that end really !

NZ has had far more freedoms than Aussie (still has to a great extent) but I'm sure it will change more each year, Tasmania was close in it's freedom, amazing in what could be done back in the day, we all know what happened there & now a similar thing in NZ !

Ripp
.577 member

#335921 - 28/12/19 09:06 AM

Quote:

For a military cartridge a 3000 fps, 135 gr bullet of around 500 BC is pretty potent.

Can those rounds be fired from a full auto assault style rifle? Whatever design might replace the M16/M4?

Quote from one of the articles..

" The U.S. military wants a new belt-fed machine gun and put out a contract for one. SIG entered a belt-fed machine gun hoping to win the contract. The military specified the caliber of 6.8 or .277. Of course, the military wants the cartridge lighter and more powerful so SIG began developing the .277 Fury for that contract. SIG has been selected as one of the three finalists for the contract and will be going into full production with the .277 SIG Fury for the military. The commercial market gets to reap the benefits of over two years of R&D with the cartridge for the military."

"To summarize the .277 SIG Fury was designed for the military. Specifically for SIG’s belt-fed machine gun entry."

NOT sure where this is doing in terms of personal carry assault style rifles..

--------------------

Edited by Ripp (28/12/19 07:32 PM)

lancaster
.470 member

Reged: 06/05/08
Loc: There's a lighthouse in the mi...
      #335925 - 28/12/19 02:40 PM

Quote:

Whatever design might replace the M16/M4?

I have an idea! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7x6LibuC4N0

--------------------
Norwegian hunter misses moose, shoots man on toilet
bringing civilisation to the barbarians

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: Sig develops NEW .277 Sig Fury - [Re: lancaster]
      #335927 - 28/12/19 04:41 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Whatever design might replace the M16/M4?

I have an idea! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7x6LibuC4N0

FG42 Paratrooper combined rifle and light machine gun in full 8x57.

A completely new rifle for me. Never heard of it previously. Wow. How effective would that have been!?

And bloody yanks can get it as a modern replica!!! Jealous.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Homer
.416 member

Reged: 07/04/09
Loc: Canberra, Australia
      #335930 - 28/12/19 06:06 PM

G'Day Fella's,

Thanks for sharing Ripp (and Lancaster as well).

Yes thats some impressive ballistic performance ......... and Pressure.
I assume the action/firearm, has been proof tested, way beyond that level.

FYI, the Maximum, CIP piezo pressure for the .338 Lapua Magnum, is 69,000 PSI.
This is in a conventional but modern, bolt action rifle, and with Brass cases.
And I assume I'm right up there, with my rifle pushing 250grn bullets, at a chrono'ed 3040fps out of a 26"/660mm barrel.

Avagreatweekendeh!
Homer

--------------------
"Beware the Lolly Pop of Mediocrity,
Lick it Once and You Will Suck Forever"

tinker
.416 member

Reged: 12/03/05
Loc: Nevada
Re: Sig develops NEW .277 Sig Fury - [Re: Homer]
      #335932 - 28/12/19 10:57 PM

Quote:

at a chrono'ed 3040fps out of a 26"/660mm barrel.

Zoom!

--------------------
--Self-Appointed Colonel, DRSS--

"It IS a dangerous game, and so named for a reason, and you can't play from the keyboard. " --Some Old Texan...

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 22 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 10301

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com