Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: In Praise of the .300 win. Mag.

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Rifles

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
Re: In Praise of the .300 win. Mag. [Re: Rod4861]
      #327657 - 24/04/19 10:55 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I feel that most people who love the black AR/MSR and similar looking rifles are usually trying to look like some idealized military type badass.

Love it.

I blame too much TV.

BTW the same sorts here in Aust are the ones always moaning they can't have their AR15s for shooting at target ranges here as well.

Yep, I’ll put my hand up for whinging long and loud over the loose of military style autos in Australia. Shot many a target with an AR15 at Camp Perry and knew my way around an M14 too both on the range and in the paddock.

As to the 300 Win Mag. Bought my first one when I was 17. Shot a lot of game with that cartridge in Australia and NZ. Absolutely love it. Even used one to kill a few targets in Field Rifle comp. did all right to until the barrel heated up😂

Rod

Well, I feel the ones who put down the AR-15 are usually the ones who have a government that
doesn't let you have them..so, in return they have to put those down that do..

OR they have little to no experience of them, have no idea how effective they are, or how they are as an equalizer should that need ever arise...

There was an news story just last week out of Texas I believe.. 5, yes count them, 5 intruders broke into an older man's home..he grabbed his assault weapon, cleared the house killing 2 or 3 of them, others are in the hospital.. it would appear the perps didn't think that one all the way through..

I don't need a AR, pretty sure I can kill most with my hands should I need to.. but, I CAN have one should I choose to.. BIG difference..

In today's world, with all the BS going on .. I sleep much better at night checking into a hotel with my family, having a AR pistol, rifle, whatever tucked away in my luggage..should some crazy f**k decide he is on a mission for allah..

Ripp

NEWS Stories on the "Evil" black rifle...
Pretty sure none of these individuals were looking to be "bad-ass"..

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/oklahoma-man-uses-ar-15-kill-three-teen-home-intruders-n739541

https://www.ammoland.com/2019/02/houston.../#axzz5m1ESFsuI

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/local/education/article225914465.html

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: In Praise of the .300 win. Mag. [Re: Ripp]
      #327659 - 25/04/19 01:19 AM

Quote:

Well, I feel the ones who put down the AR-15 are usually the ones who have a government that

OR as they are banned here pretty much for ever the only people who keep demanding them here are nutters. Or fantasists. ie here in Australia. In the USA maybe different.

I've decided in future when I run up again those sorts, in Australia, to ask them a simple question - "How or what political strategy are you going to use to have them legalisied again?"

The silence will be defeaning.

And really this isn't a forum for AR15 endless discussions. Double rifles, classic rifles, hunting etc. Good fun. Not lots of threads of how to kill human beings. The very reason I started these forums 17 years ago was because every forum I visited at the time, was "how to kill your attacker" type discussions.

The endless discussions of "I would like one, but I can't have one", well that's a fact and nothing is going to change it. I too would "like one". Never going to happen.

But I am opening a new AR15 type discussion elsewhere for an honest assessment and discussion. Based on some comments made by experienced military sorts over the years.

Please let this thread go back to discussions on the .300 mag. Much more interesting.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Ripp
.577 member

Re: In Praise of the .300 win. Mag. [Re: NitroX]
      #327671 - 25/04/19 03:30 AM

https://gundigest.com/gear-ammo/300-win-mag-answer-hunting-questions

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
      #327681 - 25/04/19 05:09 AM

My first CF rifle was a Remington model 660 in 6.5 Rem. Mag.
Killed a whack of ground hogs with that one, Southern Ontario.
325 one summer. Doesn't sound like much now.

A week long gopher shoot just a little South of where I live now, is good for 1,500 to 2,000 of the field rats. Slightly different animal, though.

A .300 Win.Mag. or PRC might be a bit overkill.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

Rod4861
.300 member

Reged: 12/06/07
Loc: Queensland, Australia
      #327687 - 25/04/19 07:48 AM

Quote:

Quote:

OR as they are banned here pretty much for ever the only people who keep demanding them here are nutters. Or fantasists. ie here in Australia. In the USA maybe different.

I've decided in future when I run up again those sorts, in Australia, to ask them a simple question - "How or what political strategy are you going to use to have them legalisied again?"

The silence will be defeaning.

And really this isn't a forum for AR15 endless discussions. Double rifles, classic rifles, hunting etc. Good fun. Not lots of threads of how to kill human beings. The very reason I started these forums 17 years ago was because every forum I visited at the time, was "how to kill your attacker" type discussions.

The endless discussions of "I would like one, but I can't have one", well that's a fact and nothing is going to change it. I too would "like one". Never going to happen.

But I am opening a new AR15 type discussion elsewhere for an honest assessment and discussion. Based on some comments made by experienced military sorts over the years.

Please let this thread go back to discussions on the .300 mag. Much more interesting.

Well at least your not trying to tell us that AR15 magazines and triggers fall out like you claim happens with Blaser R8's.

I'm out of here.....might even get the 300 Win Mag out of the safe for a shot. Just wish I could still get an AR out and shoot an IPSC or Service Match....

Damn went off track again. Oh yeah and to fill the silence for ya...ask yourself this. If a licensed shooter can't own an AR15 for use in International competitions like IPSC and Service rifle matches under the same legislation and conditions as they can a Handgun....then how long will we still own and shoot handguns?

And as for a strategy.

1. Be careful who you vote for.

Rod

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#327699 - 25/04/19 06:09 PM

Quote:

...ask yourself this. If a licensed shooter can't own an AR15 for use in International competitions like IPSC and Service rifle matches under the same legislation and conditions as they can a Handgun....

Why the ffff are you asking ME that? I don't fffing set the laws.

Loads of hot air loud mouth sprouting off on gun forums doesn't achieve anything. Actually working for improvements in the outside world, in poliics, giving money for political movements, active in the media etc does.

Talking on gun forums to the converted is just another way of getting superficial satisfaction and achieving nothing.

Quote:

then how long will we still own and shoot handguns?

You tell me, you are such an expert on everything.

But no kiddig, the anits use the "death by a thousand cuts" to remove all sorts of freedoms. They've been after handguns for the last twenty years.

All we would need is a nutter going on a ramage with a "high capacity" ten shot magazine "semi-auto" 9mm and we would probably loose them all too.

The reasons we need to be smart and effective in our politics. Be pro-active and achieve gains. And not infight and have disunity.

{Edited this post to re-write it.}

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Edited by NitroX (25/04/19 06:32 PM)

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#327700 - 25/04/19 06:39 PM

Quote:

And as for a strategy.

1. Be careful who you vote for.

Yes exactly. But was that a silly dig at me? I really do not like standing. I only do it because I am asked, and someone has to put their head above the parapet ...

As for voting being an "effective strategy", well if it is only 2% or less of people, achieves nothing.

Don't vote for clowns who put out BS unachieveable memes as simple sucker advertising. Who had one or two shooters in their line up of thirty five candidates.

And not vote for the Mark Latham Party.

And not vote for the major parties.

BUT most of all, put your hand in your pocket and contribute MONEY and if a person can not afford money, time and effort.

In the end votes only achieve so much, money is needed to finance campaigns. And the votes follow a smart campaign.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Edited by NitroX (25/04/19 06:40 PM)

Rule303
.416 member

Reged: 05/07/09
Loc: Woodford Qld
      #327703 - 25/04/19 08:12 PM

Quote:

Quote:

...ask yourself this. If a licensed shooter can't own an AR15 for use in International competitions like IPSC and Service rifle matches under the same legislation and conditions as they can a Handgun....

Loads of hot air loud mouth sprouting off on gun forums doesn't achieve anything. Actually working for improvements in the outside world, in poliics, giving money for political movements, active in the media etc does.

Talking on gun forums to the converted is just another way of getting superficial satisfaction and achieving nothing.

Quote:

But no kiddig, the anits use the "death by a thousand cuts" to remove all sorts of freedoms. They've been after handguns for the last twenty years.

All we would need is a nutter going on a ramage with a "high capacity" ten shot magazine "semi-auto" 9mm and we would probably loose them all too.

The reasons we need to be smart and effective in our politics. Be pro-active and achieve gains. And not infight and have disunity.

John I think you opened the door for this type of response with what you said about those who want to own AR15's. Not all are mad wannabe's. To me Rod is asking you to think about where we are going and not to be dis-unified as you appear to be with your comments about AR15 owners.

Anyhow I know Rod and know he has done a lot over the years to fight for LAFO. I don't think he is having a go at you for standing for election. More saying to all to be careful who you vote for. Look at where their preferences are going.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: In Praise of the .300 win. Mag. [Re: Rule303]
      #327706 - 25/04/19 08:22 PM

Mate, back in the pre 1996 days, how many of these sorts of rifles did we actually see used hunting?

The answer is not many ie mostly just to be wannabe TV tactical badasses.

I took my SKK on one hunting trip for feral goats. Even with ground off FMJ ammo it was pretty useless. Perhaps with better projectiles it would have worked better, but way too expensive to shoot off 30 round mags of hunting cartridges. was good fun though.

John Howard pinched it off me. I bought a BLR in .308 Winchester, FAR FAR FAR more effective hunting rifle and FAR more effective cartridge.

One day the bastards will steal that one off me too ... I swore in 1996, never again. Probably too old now to hide in a damp bush hut filled with sheep shit ...

PS I do think having an AR15 type semi auto for IPSC type rifle competitions would be fun. I would consider doing that too if it was possible.

Just like I would own a 1911 .45 ACP type handgun as well if I could.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Edited by NitroX (25/04/19 08:24 PM)

Rod4861
.300 member

Reged: 12/06/07
Loc: Queensland, Australia
      #327707 - 25/04/19 08:23 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

John I think you opened the door for this type of response with what you said about those who want to own AR15's. Not all are mad wannabe's. To me Rod is asking you to think about where we are going and not to be dis-unified as you appear to be with your comments about AR15 owners.

Anyhow I know Rod and know he has done a lot over the years to fight for LAFO. I don't think he is having a go at you for standing for election. More saying to all to be careful who you vote for. Look at where their preferences are going.

Spot on Greg. And I had NO idea that NitroX had ever stood for election.

Cheers
Rod

Ripp
.577 member

#327709 - 25/04/19 10:57 PM

Quote:

Quote:

308 vs 30-06 vs 300 Win Mag: Which Cartridge Should You Be Hunting With?

https://thebiggamehuntingblog.com/308-vs...e-hunting-with/

--------------------

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#327723 - 26/04/19 03:21 AM

Fair enough Rod.

This argument is all an ado about nothing.

And RIPP, I will be hunting with a .30-06.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
      #327740 - 26/04/19 11:20 AM

Me too - 06 - ? - or maybe one of my 9.3 x62's. I just loaded up some old style 250gr. Barnes spitzers to test, or perhaps the .375/06IMP with 300gr. RN's, Interlocks and Interbonds.
It's nice to have a choice.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

Rule303
.416 member

Reged: 05/07/09
Loc: Woodford Qld
      #327745 - 26/04/19 06:42 PM

Quote:

Mate, back in the pre 1996 days, how many of these sorts of rifles did we actually see used hunting?

The answer is not many ie mostly just to be wannabe TV tactical badasses.

I took my SKK on one hunting trip for feral goats. Even with ground off FMJ ammo it was pretty useless. Perhaps with better projectiles it would have worked better, but way too expensive to shoot off 30 round mags of hunting cartridges. was good fun though.

John Howard pinched it off me. I bought a BLR in .308 Winchester, FAR FAR FAR more effective hunting rifle and FAR more effective cartridge.

One day the bastards will steal that one off me too ... I swore in 1996, never again. Probably too old now to hide in a damp bush hut filled with sheep shit ...

PS I do think having an AR15 type semi auto for IPSC type rifle competitions would be fun. I would consider doing that too if it was possible.

Just like I would own a 1911 .45 ACP type handgun as well if I could.

John I did a lot of hunting with a Valmet Hunter in 308, 2 mates with BAR's, my brother and another mate used Mini 14's, quite a few I knew ran AR15's in competitions. I did have an M1 carbine and found that to be almost useless the SKK was far better than an M1 carbine but only good for close work as the sights and group sizes were not for hunting. The downside was the Rambo types who gave most shooters a bad name. Yes I would like them back, but as you said, here in Australia I think it is a pipe dream.

As for hiding in a damp bush hut that makes two of us.

Ripp
.577 member

Re: In Praise of the .300 win. Mag. [Re: AdamTayler]
      #327838 - 28/04/19 07:38 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Except the PRC doesnt need a magnum action.

It's fantastic

Which makes my wonder why Ruger did not offer it in their Precision rifle, and went with the 300 Win Mag instead. It takes an AI Mag, and AI makes mags that have either a 6.675 OAL or 3.750 OAL. https://accurate-mag.com/shop/magazines/long-action-dssf-magazines/ Will the one with a 3.750 OAL not fit for some reason? What am I missing?

https://www.gunsandammo.com/editorial/ru...-6-5-prc/359979

--------------------

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#327842 - 28/04/19 08:39 PM

Quote:

John I did a lot of hunting with a Valmet Hunter in 308, 2 mates with BAR's, my brother and another mate used Mini 14's, quite a few I knew ran AR15's in competitions. I did have an M1 carbine and found that to be almost useless the SKK was far better than an M1 carbine but only good for close work as the sights and group sizes were not for hunting. The downside was the Rambo types who gave most shooters a bad name. Yes I would like them back, but as you said, here in Australia I think it is a pipe dream.

As for hiding in a damp bush hut that makes two of us.

Of course I would have had a BAR instead of a BLR had it been possible. The BLR was second hand at the time after 1996 and reasonably priced so snapped it up.

The Valmet Hunter I liked from the reviews.

I believe the AR15 type rifle back then was well out of my price range. And not very common at all.

The SKK was dirt cheap. Every man and his dog and badass nutter was buying them at the time. Ammo was cheap too. Inevitable there would be moves to ban them in hindsight. Many old fogie shooters at the time warned about this back then too.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

AdamTayler
.375 member

Reged: 22/03/04
Loc: B.C.
      #327846 - 29/04/19 12:38 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

It's fantastic

Which makes my wonder why Ruger did not offer it in their Precision rifle, and went with the 300 Win Mag instead. It takes an AI Mag, and AI makes mags that have either a 6.675 OAL or 3.750 OAL. https://accurate-mag.com/shop/magazines/long-action-dssf-magazines/ Will the one with a 3.750 OAL not fit for some reason? What am I missing?

I just came on to post the same lol

--------------------
It's the journey, not the destination.

Ripp
.577 member

Re: In Praise of the .300 win. Mag. [Re: AdamTayler]
      #327850 - 29/04/19 03:32 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

It's fantastic

I just came on to post the same lol

Pretty cool news actually.. for the LR crowd anyway... I think I will create a NEW post for this in RIFLES section.. as many will gloss this over on the one..

thx

Ripp

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 42 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 7515

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com