Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Blaser Rifles:Are they more marketing than engineering?

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Rifles

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | >> (show all)
Rod4861
.300 member

Reged: 12/06/07
Loc: Queensland, Australia
Re: Blaser Rifles:Are they more marketing than engineering? [Re: NitroX]
      #324244 - 04/02/19 04:53 PM

Quote:

Quote:

If you don't like Blasers..buy something you do like. Life is too short to waste talking about things you don't like or appreciate !

Cheers
Rod

Quote:

Its fine for people to have and express their opinion but it would help if those doing so were speaking from first hand experience. Most of the negative comments regarding the R8 start with "I've got a mate who heard.........."

I find it "quaint" when posters try to bully off anyone who will make negative comments right from the beginning ... and keep trying to do it.

Now someone doesn't have to buy something they feel is not worth buying, to make a comment on it. And yes, one does not have to buy one, to handle one, try one, and also listen to knowledgeable persons. Owners who have had one and got rid of it. Or sometimes even like them.

Quote:

The magazines/trigger housing does not have to be removed when traveling and or for storage in Queensland. And I know for a fact that it is not a requirement for overseas travel to the USA and NZ from Australia. I seriously doubt if it is required in any Australian State..

I suggest you do some research before travelling and maybe putting your beliefs to the test.

And in any case, a magazine is removed. Can be removed. Is removed. If it has a trigger connected on it, can be lost. And is lost.

"Ghay". That was a joke by the poster.

Now back again to th opening question. Is it marketing or engineering? Obviously both. Modern over engineered. And huge amounts of marketing to sell them. Buying several other makers and brands, many much better, to add to the stable.

Now I did have a joke, about how God would have designed the human body if he was a Blaser engineer, but I will reserve that one.

Now I like over one hundred year old designed rifle. And my ideal ideal take down would be a Mauser 98 with the locking lug collar on the removable barrel, not the action. But cost is a factor to actually buy.

Now if you can't handle other peoples opinions, get over it.

There is nothing wrong with people having and expressing opinions, even those that differ from mine. And I’d suggest that there is also nothing wrong with correcting inaccuracies in comments. Some may even consider that “quaint” but I doubt that many would consider it “bullying”.

In relation to your comment that magazines must be removed for travel. That comment is incorrect.

Finally, Rule 303 and I are mates. We take the piss out of each other all the time. Perhaps we need a stirring icon to avoid confusion by those not in the know. Considering he shoots a 270, owns a Land Rover, drinks cheap nasty piss and can't keep a secret concerning arseless chaffs; I'm surprised I even speak to him (stirring icon needed)

Cheers

Rod

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
DORLEAC
.333 member

Reged: 22/01/12
Loc: Perpignan, France
Re: Blaser Rifles:Are they more marketing than engineering? [Re: Rod4861]
      #324246 - 04/02/19 08:14 PM

Gentlemen,

I think this type of discussion about the comparative merits of BLASER rifles versus classic ones does not lead to anything.
We compare quite different objects, a bit like comparing a jacket to shoes or a roast beef to an apple pie!
BLASER R93 and R8 rifles are tools and should be considered as tools.
This type of rifle is the brainchild of the engineer Meinhard ZEH who developed the system in 1993.
In their excellent design there is no reference to the traditional gunsmithing and their manufacture - with the exception of the barrel - is closer to that of a microwave oven or any other modern household object than a Mauser rifle whose mechanism dates back to well over a century.
The used materials - aluminum, synthetic, rubber, cast steel - like the assembly - springs, screws, elastic pins - confirm the modernity of their design optimized for the lowest possible manufacturing cost
That said, they are very good tools perfectly adapted to their use but, in my eyes, they are not rifles in the traditional sense of the term.
The only problem with these products is their price that is twice as high compared to their real cost, products whose life, because of the materials used, is necessarily limited in time.
We sold the first R93 twenty years ago and now we are facing irreparable wear problems (steel sliding in aluminum) and the only solution proposed by BLASER is to go to the new R8 model….
The R93, provided you choose it in a standard caliber, was a much better proposition than the R8 which is bigger, heavier and which allows you to lose the trigger when you drop the magazine (!)
Finally I don't believe that in a few years fans will be passionate about collecting R8 variants, even the rarest plastic with leather inserts stocked versions or "Luxus" models with molded aluminum laser engraving...
Some will tell me that they are the best rifles now on the market… everyone has their own tastes and preferences, but I sincerely believe that the current offer leaves enough choice at reasonable prices for at least equal or better performances.

DORLEAC
www.dorleac-dorleac.com

93mouse
.375 member

Reged: 17/08/07
Loc: Slovenia
Re: Blaser Rifles:Are they more marketing than engineering? [Re: DORLEAC]
      #324252 - 04/02/19 10:52 PM

Well said - Thank you Dorleac.

Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
Re: Blaser Rifles:Are they more marketing than engineering? [Re: NitroX]
      #324253 - 05/02/19 12:32 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Crazy idea I know..but an actual review from someone who has both..and in the gay .270 caliber..

https://www.gunmart.net/gun-reviews/firInterestearms/rifles/blaser-r8-v-mauser-m03

Thanks for posting that. Interesting to read. But it does read to me like a marketing/advertising article for the corporate group that owns and makes both rifle models. Mostly good points pushed on both and only minor criticisms on either.

Interesting new stock.

The thumb through stock is actually NOT that new..it was available when I purhased mine about 5 years ago... FYI

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

Rule303
.416 member

Reged: 05/07/09
Loc: Woodford Qld
Re: Blaser Rifles:Are they more marketing than engineering? [Re: Rod4861]
      #324282 - 05/02/19 04:45 PM

In relation to your comment that magazines must be removed for travel. That comment is incorrect.

Finally, Rule 303 and I are mates. We take the piss out of each other all the time. Perhaps we need a stirring icon to avoid confusion by those not in the know. Considering he shoots a 270, owns a Land Rover, drinks cheap nasty piss and can't keep a secret concerning arseless chaffs; I'm surprised I even speak to him (stirring icon needed)

Cheers

Rod

Considering Rod has traveled through those countries he listed with rifles, Blaser included I would think he knows what he is talking about. The other thing to consider is how do you remove a magazine from a Rem 700, M98, Win M94 etc. Short answer, as we know, is you can not. So any jurisdiction with a must remove magazine in their law must have some other wording to allow for firearms where the mag can not be removed.

Rule303
.416 member

Re: Blaser Rifles:Are they more marketing than engineering? [Re: DORLEAC]
      #324283 - 05/02/19 04:47 PM

Dorleac, thanks for that insight. To sum up if I may, Very good engineering but with the materials used and work they won't last a lifetime, let alone 2 or 3 lifetimes.

Please correct if my summary is incorrect.

Edited by Rule303 (05/02/19 04:48 PM)

500Boswell
.400 member

Reged: 21/07/06
Loc: Queensland
Re: Blaser Rifles:Are they more marketing than engineering? [Re: Rule303]
      #324285 - 05/02/19 08:22 PM

Disposable rifles for the ''Well to Do''

DORLEAC
.333 member

Reged: 22/01/12
Loc: Perpignan, France
      #324287 - 05/02/19 11:27 PM

Quote:

Dorleac, thanks for that insight. To sum up if I may, Very good engineering but with the materials used and work they won't last a lifetime, let alone 2 or 3 lifetimes.

Yes, modern engineering, modern "look", as for lasting...a lifetime seems much too long !

DORLEAC
www.dorleac-dorleac.com

Ripp
.577 member

Re: Blaser Rifles:Are they more marketing than engineering? [Re: 500Boswell]
      #324289 - 06/02/19 01:04 AM

Quote:

-- the last I checked, parts if needed, were still available..so no need to be disposed of, just repaired as do some of the 2-3 lifetime guns need...

Reading all the posts, IMHO, people are looking for flies where there aren't any...but, hey, feel free to comment and enjoy reading this post. Been quite entertaining actually..

I used a R8 while hunting in Spain..performed perfectly..no issues of any kind..no lost magazines, triggers, slings, stocks, bolts, etc... harvested numerous types of game throughout the country.. zero problems... come back home and bought the exact same model for myself.. I will say you do see quite a few while out there will doing mountain hunts..have not seen many or any for that matter in Africa on my travels..have seen them in Alaska..and in the "stan" countries often.. easy to travel with and the easy of caliber change.. met one guy in Alaska..told me he had something like 17 different barrels for his..had traveled the world hunting with it..again, no issues...

Oddly, the only 2 rifles I have actually ever had to take to a gunsmith for repair, as in they were not functioning correctly, were both built on mauser actions.. so....there you have it..none are infallible. At least in my experience..

BTW, Greg, my wife likes her .270...

Ripp

--------------------

Edited by Ripp (06/02/19 02:46 AM)

Ripp
.577 member

Re: Blaser Rifles:Are they more marketing than engineering? [Re: Ripp]
      #324300 - 06/02/19 03:15 AM

Another Takedown--Strasser..

https://www.americanrifleman.org/article...m_campaign=0219

--------------------

SharpsNitro
.375 member

Reged: 12/08/08
Loc: Arizona, USA
      #324308 - 06/02/19 07:10 AM

Quote:

Another..

https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2017/01/tyler-kee/new-2017-strasser-rs-14/

https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2017/10/foghorn/gun-review-strasser-rs-14/

https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2018/12/jeremy-s/gun-review-strasser-rs14-evolution-rifle/

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
      #324310 - 06/02/19 07:31 AM

The only rifle I've ever taken to a gunsmith for repair or suggestions, is a Browning A3. The bolt keeps falling out. Go figure. Never had that happen to one of my Mausers.

My Remington M700 needs careful attention when replacing the bolt after cleaning, as the bolt retention button sticks in the 'release' position.

Never had that happen to one of my Mausers.

I've only been using 98 Mausers since 1968- maybe one day, I'll have trouble with one. Guess I've been 'extra' lucky.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

500Boswell
.400 member

Re: Blaser Rifles:Are they more marketing than engineering? [Re: DarylS]
      #324314 - 06/02/19 09:18 AM

If I ever bought one it would have to have the Steel action ,the other point was that someone ''above'' saying it would not accept reloads, only factory ammo ???

Ripp
.577 member

Re: Blaser Rifles:Are they more marketing than engineering? [Re: SharpsNitro]
      #324323 - 06/02/19 01:38 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Another..

https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2017/01/tyler-kee/new-2017-strasser-rs-14/

https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2017/10/foghorn/gun-review-strasser-rs-14/

https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2018/12/jeremy-s/gun-review-strasser-rs14-evolution-rifle/

Thanks for posting these--stellar reviews...

In todays world the suggested retail of $2600 which means will actually probably be around 22-$2300..reasonable price for what it offers...

Edited by Ripp (06/02/19 01:42 PM)

Ripp
.577 member

Re: Blaser Rifles:Are they more marketing than engineering? [Re: DarylS]
      #324326 - 06/02/19 01:52 PM

Quote:

The only rifle I've ever taken to a gunsmith for repair or suggestions, is a Browning A3. The bolt keeps falling out. Go figure. Never had that happen to one of my Mausers.

My Remington M700 needs careful attention when replacing the bolt after cleaning, as the bolt retention button sticks in the 'release' position.

Never had that happen to one of my Mausers.

I've only been using 98 Mausers since 1968- maybe one day, I'll have trouble with one. Guess I've been 'extra' lucky.

One of my mauser action customs would go into lock down mode after firing 2 quick rounds in succession.. bolt did not want to open..third one, forget it..done..took it back to the guy that built it..long time ago, so forget what he told me was wrong..but, have not taken it on a DG hunt as that thought still haunts me..

--------------------

Rod4861
.300 member

#324329 - 06/02/19 04:50 PM

Quote:

If I ever bought one it would have to have the Steel action ,the other point was that someone ''above'' saying it would not accept reloads, only factory ammo ???

Really....will not accept reloads ???(we need a rolling about on the floor pissing myself laughing icon)

Rod

Rule303
.416 member

#324332 - 06/02/19 07:55 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Ripp

Ripp, I would say she has excellent tastes except she married you

Rod, I have read about rifles that won't except reloads. It must be true, it was on the internet

500Boswell
.400 member

#324333 - 06/02/19 08:02 PM

Do people roll on the floor pissing themselves laughing, when their mate says he just bought a Blaser, and is going to take it to Africa to shoot the Big Five ? bahahahahahahah

Rod4861
.300 member

#324334 - 06/02/19 08:04 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Ripp

Ripp, I would say she has excellent tastes except she married you

Rod, I have read about rifles that won't except reloads. It must be true, it was on the internet

Yeah...a friend of my cousin reckons his friends uncle heard it's only a problem with the 270 Winchester cartridge.

Cheers
Rod

Rod4861
.300 member

#324337 - 06/02/19 08:11 PM

Quote:

Do people roll on the floor pissing themselves laughing, when their mate says he just bought a Blaser, and is going to take it to Africa to shoot the Big Five ? bahahahahahahah

You wouldn't happen to know the friend of my cousin who reckons his friends uncle heard about the reloading thing would ya?

Nah seriously. I reckon it's probably more likely to be poor quality control with the reloads than a problem with the Blaser. I've got 3 barrels for the R8 and they all accept reloads.

Cheers
Rod

Postman
.375 member

Reged: 25/09/13
Loc: Canada
Re: Blaser Rifles:Are they more marketing than engineering? *DELETED* [Re: Rod4861]
      #324342 - 06/02/19 11:45 PM

Post deleted by Postman

Edited by Postman (07/02/19 12:08 AM)

mchughcb
.333 member

Reged: 21/02/14
Loc: Victoria, Australia
Re: Blaser Rifles:Are they more marketing than engineering? [Re: Postman]
      #324343 - 07/02/19 12:26 AM

I just love shooting the 416.

https://youtu.be/TxYKJg8jAXA

mchughcb
.333 member

Re: Blaser Rifles:Are they more marketing than engineering? [Re: mchughcb]
      #324344 - 07/02/19 12:28 AM

I love shooting the F16

https://youtu.be/b372Fv4Ibbk

mchughcb
.333 member

#324345 - 07/02/19 12:33 AM

I love shooting the BBF97.

https://youtu.be/bfyfLvp6QqA

Ripp
.577 member

#324349 - 07/02/19 03:08 AM

Quote:

I just love shooting the 416.

https://youtu.be/TxYKJg8jAXA

That's pretty cool..certainly seems to show the quickness of the Blaser

And Yes, I too like shooting the .416

Its like a .270, only for men...

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 24 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 23908

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com