Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: 308-win-vs-65-creedmoor- Which-is-better/?

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Rifles

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: 308-win-vs-65-creedmoor- Which-is-better/? [Re: Rule303]
      #308494 - 30/11/17 12:27 AM

Quote:

Yep. In Victoria the legal minimum for Sambar - Indian Elk - is 270 and I think they still have a minimum case length of 2". People have taken Sambar with 243 but possible more have been lost than found. The Sambar is noticeably bigger than a Red Deer and some drop easy but most soak up punishment. A heart shot Sambar -taking it the heart wasn't full of blood when hit - can travel several 100 mts before dropping. Normally less but still more than most. This restriction was advised by experienced Sambar Hunters back in the 60's or earlier I believe.

Yep, I always thought it was a silly cut off. As a 160 gr 6.5mm is superior to a .270 150 gr.

As you say, put together before other cartridges became more common. And IMO put together by simpletons of the day.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
Re: 308-win-vs-65-creedmoor- Which-is-better/? [Re: NitroX]
      #308504 - 30/11/17 01:31 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Yep. In Victoria the legal minimum for Sambar - Indian Elk - is 270 and I think they still have a minimum case length of 2". People have taken Sambar with 243 but possible more have been lost than found. The Sambar is noticeably bigger than a Red Deer and some drop easy but most soak up punishment. A heart shot Sambar -taking it the heart wasn't full of blood when hit - can travel several 100 mts before dropping. Normally less but still more than most. This restriction was advised by experienced Sambar Hunters back in the 60's or earlier I believe.

Yep, I always thought it was a silly cut off. As a 160 gr 6.5mm is superior to a .270 150 gr.

As you say, put together before other cartridges became more common. And IMO put together by simpletons of the day.

Agree..and true on both accounts..

Ripp

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

Rule303
.416 member

Reged: 05/07/09
Loc: Woodford Qld
Re: 308-win-vs-65-creedmoor- Which-is-better/? [Re: NitroX]
      #308530 - 30/11/17 07:18 PM

John, I wouldn't call them simpletons of the day. Some involved were very experienced Sambar hunters. I suspect back then not much was known about the 6.5 in Aust. Some would of known of the 6.5X55 and more the 6.5X54 and similar. None of which where held in high regard due to the WW2 useage by the Italians and Japanese. I suspect not many knew of the swede and how much better than the other 6.5's it was. Also the 243, unless used by a cool head is marginal on such a big animal and I believe they were trying to avoid people using this.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 30 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 7212

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com