Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: best african plains rifle

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Rifles

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
ducmarc
.400 member

Reged: 14/07/14
Loc: fla
best african plains rifle
      #291419 - 05/12/16 02:13 AM

Turned my attention to a economy plains game hunt in Africa instead of Alaska which I've been saving for what is the best rifle to bring? Would I want an off the shelf caliber in case I have to by ammunition? And what's the rules on ammunition? Do u bring it or buy it there im sure every country is different and haven't nailed that part down yet.but most likely SA , nambia or Zambia.

--------------------
'killed by death' Lemmy.. ' boil the dog ' Elvis Manywounds "my best friend is my magnum forty four" hank willams the third.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
szihn
.400 member

Reged: 24/06/07
Loc: Wind River Valley, Wyoming
Re: best african plains rifle [Re: ducmarc]
      #291427 - 05/12/16 03:59 AM

What rifles do you have now?

Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
      #291440 - 05/12/16 07:01 AM

Quote:

Turned my attention to a economy plains game hunt in Africa instead of Alaska which I've been saving for what is the best rifle to bring? Would I want an off the shelf caliber in case I have to by ammunition? And what's the rules on ammunition? Do u bring it or buy it there im sure every country is different and haven't nailed that part down yet.but most likely SA , nambia or Zambia.

If it were me I would bring a .375H&H, especially if you have the potential of being around DG...If this is not an issue, any gun you use for deer, elk, caribou will do fine there for PG..use a good bullet (Swifts, Barnes) and as always, shot placement is everything..I prefer a 30 caliber myself..but lighter will work..30's work better and 33's work even better...an 30'06, 300 Win or above would do great...Typically shots are 200 yds or less unless you are in Namibia where they can be longer..but many times the shots are much less--150-100 or less for most of it..again, depending on where you are at..

If you have never been there before I suggest checking out the shot placement book just as a quick reference by Kevin Robertson..or skip the book and just shoot everything on the point of the shoulder.. game there dies just like anywhere else..especially if you let the air out or take out the main engine ..having said that, game there also has an incredible will to live..depending on where you hunt, they have predators galore from the time they hit the ground until they are on someone's dinner table..that seems to translate to the "toughness" factor that you read about..

As to ammo, BRING YOUR OWN..do not wait to buy there..and when you leave, leave the left over there..it is normally very much appreciated..as it is normally harder to get there and more expensive..as to ammo, I load my own and only use Swifts..not saying they are the only bullet to use, but they do an incredible job no matter what caliber you use..in addition, when I do go there normally I shoot a heavy for caliber bullet..I really like 200gr A-Frames out of my 300RUM..they worked awesome on Impala, Bushbuck, Hyena,Zebra, Eland, Hippo and Croc the last time I was in Zim....all one shot kills with that combo..

I am not an expert but am making my 5th trip there in about 6 weeks..sure I will have more info to put forth upon my return..Also one of my best friends has been there 12 times in the past 6 years, I get a lot of info from him as well..any further questions send a PM or follow up on here..happy to help..

Ripp

gryphon
.450 member

Reged: 01/01/03
Loc: Sambar ground/Victoria/Austral...
Re: best african plains rifle [Re: Ripp]
      #291446 - 05/12/16 08:36 AM

Its sort of goes no matter where or what we hunt/shoot..break both shoulders and nothing CAN go anywhere.

Right calibre and right ammo will do it..as Ripp said the .375 aitch!

--------------------
Get off the chair away from the desk and get out in the bush and enjoy life.

ducmarc
.400 member

Re: best african plains rifle [Re: gryphon]
      #291447 - 05/12/16 09:11 AM

I have a plethora of 3006 a270 a 303 and a 9x57 which I'm considering rechambering to either 35 Whelen or 358 Norma mag two of the 06s could be chamber to what ever their Patten 17 enfields

--------------------
'killed by death' Lemmy.. ' boil the dog ' Elvis Manywounds "my best friend is my magnum forty four" hank willams the third.

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
      #291457 - 05/12/16 10:44 AM

The 9mm would make a great .35 Whelen. Sometimes finding good .358" bullets is a chore.

A good shot with an '06 and great bullets should be able to take anything legal with that bore size.

I'd still rather have my .375 with those 270gr. TSX at 2,650fps. Not bad for a .30/06 case, eh.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

szihn
.400 member

Re: best african plains rifle [Re: DarylS]
      #291462 - 05/12/16 12:19 PM

If you have the experience to handle the recoil I would buy a 375H&H.

If you don't want to do that for any reason I would recommend you use the 30-06 with 220 or 220 grain bullets.

ducmarc
.400 member

Re: best african plains rifle [Re: szihn]
      #291465 - 05/12/16 01:06 PM

Kinda always wanted a 375 I've shot my friends 416 Rigby and it wasn't as bad as the 45 -120 I just finished up so the 375 shouldn't be a problem.been reading the other thread about the 375 h&h kinda rekindled those thoughts.what ever I build it will be a working mans rifle.something not to worry about dropping or scratching.maybe even parkerize it

--------------------

ducmarc
.400 member

#291470 - 05/12/16 02:03 PM

Backing up a little I read about the 318 Westley Richards and would like to have one some day.but is it really any better than a 3006 with heavy bullets.

--------------------

Postman
.375 member

Reged: 25/09/13
Loc: Canada
      #291482 - 05/12/16 11:02 PM

I would cast my vote for a .375H&H. It will shoot as far as you'd ever want to shoot and it will scale up nicely to take the larger antelope. Kudu, gemsbok, zebra, and if course eland are pretty darn big and a bit of extra weight and diameter is a good thing in a premium bullet. I used my .375 H&H Kodiak to take a warthog and Impala using 300 grain TSX with great effect and not a lot of wasted meat which at least to me shows it scales down nicely as well. With the short stainless barrel and laminate stock, it is ideal to push through the tag alders in driving rain in the far north country of north America hunting moose if that type of miserable wet condition hunting turns your crank. Likewise, no issues with hunting the ultra humid jungles of the world. Ammo is widely available world wide. Versatile is the word!!

Edited by Postman (06/12/16 04:29 AM)

ducmarc
.400 member

Re: best african plains rifle [Re: Postman]
      #291483 - 05/12/16 11:53 PM

Reloading it seems a bargain compared most of the other cartages we mess with here also.looked last night for a barrel might go with a Shaw have one on my 6mm and shoots pretty good.

--------------------

ducmarc
.400 member

#291513 - 06/12/16 12:29 PM

So are the speeds on the net for real. Listing almost 3200 for a 200 trainer and close to 300 for a 235.

--------------------

Ripp
.577 member

#291517 - 06/12/16 01:44 PM

Quote:

So are the speeds on the net for real. Listing almost 3200 for a 200 trainer and close to 300 for a 235.

I have no experience loading the 375H&H with that light of bullets, however if you look at the Nosler reload manual it shows near or above 2800FPS for a 260-270 gr bullet...which would have a serious smack down on any plains game animal..

The 375H&H is an awesome caliber..one gun/caliber to hunt the world if you need to..

Ripp

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
      #291520 - 06/12/16 02:37 PM

Many guys take a .375 H&H out of nostalgia. However for plains game it isn't needed. Unless you want to take one. Plus as Ripp says if hunting DG sometimes it is good to have a rifle handling both.

I have used a .30-06 M98, a .375 H&H Mag M98, a 8x68S M98 and a 9.3x74R DR for plains game hunts or dual plains/DG hunts.

Something around a .30-06 or .300 Mag plus or minus is fine.

Take amoo with you. IF it gets lost you can try to buy replacement ammo if the cartridge is a readily available one.

Airline rules are usually you can take up to 5kg of ammo, packed separately in another bag from the rifle. Ammo should be in original cartrdige boxes or something like an MTM cartridge box. Individual cartridges should be separated from each other, ie by cardboard or plastic sections as in cartridge boxes or MTM boxes.

You will need to declare you are carrying a firearm and ammunition to the airline. They may want to inspect it. Some airlines require prior notice. You will need to declare you are carrying a firearm and ammunition on entering the African country. Some will want declared how many rounds you are carrying and inspect it. Rifle case and luggage with ammo in it needs to be locked when checked in. African hunting countries are used to all of this, but may be bureaucratic.

In Jo'burg the rifle case will be taken to a Police office where you retrieve it after getting paper work filled out. You will need the name of your outfitter and hunting property. Your outfitter can supply needed information for the forms.

If hunting in Namibia, if like me you need to stay overnight in Jo'burg, you may need to retrieve your rifle. I remember using a property name the South African based outfitter supplied to me to make it easier. Presumably some people do transit without having a South African property but not sure how they do it, or the SA Police just accept it.

Sometimes the Jo'bug airport police or porters ask for moeny (ie a bribe) for "beer money". I used to give them a US dollar or two. May not occur still or not, haven't been there recently.

The Afton Guest House used to be a good place to stay near the airport and had a lot of hunter who stay there. Louis, the owner, presuming he is still around, looked after his guests and would have someone meeting guests at the airport. Situated near to Jo'burg airport.

Out of the rifles you list, I would take the .30-06 and load it with good 200 or 180 gr projectiles.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

ducmarc
.400 member

Re: best african plains rifle [Re: NitroX]
      #291524 - 06/12/16 03:21 PM

Thanks for all the advice.are there airlines from the states that are more hunter frendly than others not that there's many flying to Africa.

--------------------

Ripp
.577 member

#291574 - 07/12/16 01:15 PM

Quote:

Thanks for all the advice.are there airlines from the states that are more hunter frendly than others not that there's many flying to Africa.

I use Delta whenever I can ..United sucks..and have caused me more problems than all other airlines
combined...

As to gun cases and ammo..all airlines want them to be locked..buy/use TSA approved locks..that way once your guns are checked..when TSA opens the case you won't have to hand them the keys to the locks as there is a side key hole all TSA keys will fit to open..saves you that hassle.

I also always lock my ammo box as well and most require you to do so anyway..

Keep you expensive optics as in bino's in your carry on..I never leave my bino's anywhere other than with me..

For convenience and making the long flight more enjoyable, I picked up a set of Bose noise cancellation headphones..they sound way better than what the airlines give you and cancel a ton of the noise of the plane and people around you..make sleeping really nice as you will be in the plane from Atlanta to Jo-burg for 16 hours..give or take..

The last time I went through Jo-burg I hired a service to get me through with the guns and all..I arrived with about 8 others -handed my paperwork to the representive..was the first one out of there..was about $150 at the time ..well worth it IMHO...

--------------------

ducmarc
.400 member

#291581 - 07/12/16 01:42 PM

Thanks again for the direction.

--------------------

gryphon
.450 member

#291582 - 07/12/16 01:44 PM

Carry on binos x 2 especially as replacement here is $3500 AUD
Plus my exy camera/lenses are carried on as well but the downside is if I`m lucky i just have room for a t/brush, change of shirt and underpants with the important stuff where only I can access it when I get the Dubai over nighter.

--------------------

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#291586 - 07/12/16 01:59 PM

If your rifle has QD mounts consider carrying the scope as well in carry on luggage. Less to loose if checked luggage goes missing.

I did read though one crazy airline reported a person for carrying "firearm parts" or something, ie a scope, in carry on luggage once. Of course optics are permitted.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#291589 - 07/12/16 02:10 PM

Quote:

Plus my exy camera/lenses are carried on as well but the downside is if I`m lucky i just have room for a t/brush, change of shirt and underpants with the important stuff where only I can access it when I get the Dubai over nighter.

JG,

On my trip in October my carry on luggage weighed 12 kg, well over the 5 to 7 kg permitted. Due to camera, long lens, microphone, batteries, charger, small laptop, binoculars, and other stuff I have to carry ... luckily and fingers crossed, never weighed it, with some careful check in tactics employed ... one day I will fall afoul though ... but sometimes they allow stuff to be carried separately as long as the bags themselves are less than 5 to 7 kg ... it still all ends up in the overhead lockers though ...

Qantas stuffed us around with checked luggage. New rules, probably due to unionised naggage handlers not wanting to lift stufff. 23 kg allowance. Used to be not bag could be heavier than 30 kg. Not anymore. Now they don't accept anything over 23. Mine was say 27 kg and my wife's 13 kg. So combined not over. Not acceptable! Had to repack the bags at the counter to get my bag to under 23 kg. It weighed 23.1 kg and the bitch was going to make an issue over 100 gms .... before she a light bulk went on in her head and she decided it was OK ...

Annoying when part of the trip is in hot humid Amazonian jungle and light cool clothes and part is Andean mountains where it was supposed to be cold, so heavier warmer clothing also needed. In the end the mountains weren't that cold except at night when it got down to zero. Layering of course in cool places helps.

BTW our tickets allowed uss TWO bags at 23 kg each ... for the main flights but not some internal flights. Bought stuff over there and ended up with three bags around 20 kg each ...

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Rule303
.416 member

Reged: 05/07/09
Loc: Woodford Qld
      #291604 - 07/12/16 06:42 PM

I would use my 35Sambar, a 325WSM necked up to 358, very close to a358Norma magnum in performance. 225 or 250 grain Woodleigh Protected Point and 225 grain Hydros. The Woody 358 PP and RN projectiles I have found to be good for at least 200fps above their recommended impact velocity.

The 35 Whelen would certainly do the job, and a 358Norma even better.

Ripp
.577 member

#291618 - 08/12/16 01:43 AM

Quote:

Quote:

JG,

On my trip in October my carry on luggage weighed 12 kg, well over the 5 to 7 kg permitted. Due to camera, long lens, microphone, batteries, charger, small laptop, binoculars, and other stuff I have to carry ... luckily and fingers crossed, never weighed it, with some careful check in tactics employed ... one day I will fall afoul though ... but sometimes they allow stuff to be carried separately as long as the bags themselves are less than 5 to 7 kg ... it still all ends up in the overhead lockers though ...

Qantas stuffed us around with checked luggage. New rules, probably due to unionised naggage handlers not wanting to lift stufff. 23 kg allowance. Used to be not bag could be heavier than 30 kg. Not anymore. Now they don't accept anything over 23. Mine was say 27 kg and my wife's 13 kg. So combined not over. Not acceptable! Had to repack the bags at the counter to get my bag to under 23 kg. It weighed 23.1 kg and the bitch was going to make an issue over 100 gms .... before she a light bulk went on in her head and she decided it was OK ...

Annoying when part of the trip is in hot humid Amazonian jungle and light cool clothes and part is Andean mountains where it was supposed to be cold, so heavier warmer clothing also needed. In the end the mountains weren't that cold except at night when it got down to zero. Layering of course in cool places helps.

BTW our tickets allowed uss TWO bags at 23 kg each ... for the main flights but not some internal flights. Bought stuff over there and ended up with three bags around 20 kg each ...

Its the same here..50LB max per bag...it also depends on who is helping you..if its some anti you can be in for an issue or two..others don't care and you fly right through...

I have enough FF miles built up now so get a few extra perks...One was when coming back last time from Kyrgyzstan we got into the airlines lounge in Istanbul to pass the time..6 big screen TV's, free food and drinks while in there and big comfy sofa's to relax on as well as places to fire up a lap top to get caught up on work..made the 8 hr layover go by much faster...

The other thing we have done for the past couple years is upgrade to a minimum of "Comfort Plus" seating..nicer seats, more leg room and better service...well worth the money for long flights..

Ripp

Ripp

--------------------

Postman
.375 member

#291619 - 08/12/16 02:05 AM

I would absolutely recommend using a meet and greet rifle permit service when going through Tembo airport in Joburg. Whether you hunt in SA or are simply transiting through with luggage checked through to another destination country, SA requires either a visitor permit or a transit permit. The $150 it cost me was well worth the money. I was smartly whisked through the airport by a representative of the service both coming and going on my way to/from Windhoek. My rifles made it through without a hitch.

The only slight sense of grief I encountered was on the way back through Zurich where a nasty old woman airport security check person snarled and smacked her fist down on the embroidered crest of my hunting vest while it passes by her on the X-ray conveyor belt. I suppose she didn't dig the fact that I was travelling to kill harmless creatures for fun and entertainment. My luggage was safely checked through Zurich by the airline (Air Canada and Partner airline Swiss Air), so the nazi airport security guard was simply a minor annoyance with no ill effect on me, although my ear to ear smile in response to her antics probably gave her a migraine for weeks afterwards.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#291621 - 08/12/16 02:18 AM

Quote:

although my ear to ear smile in response to her antics probably gave her a migraine for weeks afterwards.

Perfect.

Travelling out of Berlin once, I was paged by security to come and open my checked bag after check-in. An x-ray showed something they wanted to see. Was a video camera battery. One of the female security found my sheath hunting knife, and said "A knife!" holding it up as if she had found something. I turned to her and said "SO WHAT?!" y wife said quickly calm down. Her boss said it wasn't a problem. Bag zipped up and relocked and no more problems.

Stupid bitch. Are we all supposed to bum punching limp wristed liberal tranny panty wearing spineless metro trans 'tards nowadays as they grow them in Europe?

The world is definitely coming to another period of weeding out the gene pool soon.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#291622 - 08/12/16 02:32 AM

Quote:

Its the same here..50LB max per bag...it also depends on who is helping you..if its some anti you can be in for an issue or two..others don't care and you fly right through...

I have enough FF miles built up now so get a few extra perks...One was when coming back last time from Kyrgyzstan we got into the airlines lounge in Istanbul to pass the time..6 big screen TV's, free food and drinks while in there and big comfy sofa's to relax on as well as places to fire up a lap top to get caught up on work..made the 8 hr layover go by much faster...

The other thing we have done for the past couple years is upgrade to a minimum of "Comfort Plus" seating..nicer seats, more leg room and better service...well worth the money for long flights..

Ripp

Ripp

BTW my cabin bag is really heavy about 3 kgs plus or minus. A very high quality waterproof canvas camera bag by Billingham. Looks very classy and probably improves my image in airports. When sexy young gils admire it you must be doing something right.

Go on and brag about your luxury lounges. NOTHING compared to what I had in Auckland airport during the EIGHT FUCKING HOUR layover there because the useless airline arrived late.

Had a luxury bed to sleep in. Power for the laptop. A smoking lounge to smoke my cigar in ....... the real story. Found hidden corner of the airport where contruction was going on. One of theempty shops there had vinyl counches in it and numerous of us from the same ffffing airline, all lay out on them and slept for hours. Powerpoints on the walls. Dinner in a cafe where the Islander staff were surprisingly friendly and nice. I have always found South Pacific Islander women friendly and pleasant. The smoking lounge was provided for, for smokers, and going through an unpleasant corridor unstairs, exited into a caged area in a building site, with ashtrays provided and no chairs. But the air was fresh, the sky and sun were warm, much better than the sreary toxic airport lounge and mall atmosphere. Going to the smoking area actually meant fresher air!

The airline was LAM. Lam and Latam, crap South American airlines. LAM was always late leaving and always late arriving. Sometimes because staff did not turn up on time and were being paged on the speakers ...

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Ripp
.577 member

#291624 - 08/12/16 03:25 AM

Quote:

Quote:

although my ear to ear smile in response to her antics probably gave her a migraine for weeks afterwards.

Perfect.

Travelling out of Berlin once, I was paged by security to come and open my checked bag after check-in. An x-ray showed something they wanted to see. Was a video camera battery. One of the female security found my sheath hunting knife, and said "A knife!" holding it up as if she had found something. I turned to her and said "SO WHAT?!" y wife said quickly calm down. Her boss said it wasn't a problem. Bag zipped up and relocked and no more problems.

Stupid bitch. Are we all supposed to bum punching limp wristed liberal tranny panty wearing spineless metro trans 'tards nowadays as they grow them in Europe?

The world is definitely coming to another period of weeding out the gene pool soon.

Coming back from Asia we had to do overnight in Chicago..took the airport shuttle to hotel..a group from Great Britain go in with us.. we got out at the hotel grabbing our rifle cases, trophies, luggage, etc..One of the older tourist guys gave us a nasty look shaking his head...I glared back at him and said "Hey, could be worse, at least we're not shooting at you guys. As I remember it, it didn't work out so well for you guys the last time we did".. I turned and walked away..still makes me smile when I think of it...

What a arrogant prick. Really?? You come over to my country and try to judge me for hunting..F--k you and the horse you rode in on..Don't like it stay over there, we will be just fine without you... My hunting buddy was a little embarrassed of my remarks but got over it shortly..

Ripp

--------------------

Ripp
.577 member

#291626 - 08/12/16 03:36 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Ripp

Ripp

BTW my cabin bag is really heavy about 3 kgs plus or minus. A very high quality waterproof canvas camera bag by Billingham. Looks very classy and probably improves my image in airports. When sexy young gils admire it you must be doing something right.

Go on and brag about your luxury lounges. NOTHING compared to what I had in Auckland airport during the EIGHT FUCKING HOUR layover there because the useless airline arrived late.

Had a luxury bed to sleep in. Power for the laptop. A smoking lounge to smoke my cigar in ....... the real story. Found hidden corner of the airport where contruction was going on. One of theempty shops there had vinyl counches in it and numerous of us from the same ffffing airline, all lay out on them and slept for hours. Powerpoints on the walls. Dinner in a cafe where the Islander staff were surprisingly friendly and nice. I have always found South Pacific Islander women friendly and pleasant. The smoking lounge was provided for, for smokers, and going through an unpleasant corridor unstairs, exited into a caged area in a building site, with ashtrays provided and no chairs. But the air was fresh, the sky and sun were warm, much better than the sreary toxic airport lounge and mall atmosphere. Going to the smoking area actually meant fresher air!

The airline was LAM. Lam and Latam, crap South American airlines. LAM was always late leaving and always late arriving. Sometimes because staff did not turn up on time and were being paged on the speakers ...

Sound quite luxurious..

Layovers of 7-9 hours are horrible..but have to be done unfortunately..

Saw now in Istanbul you can get a room there right in the airport. Found that our afterward..next time that is what I will do..can at least shower and get a bit of rest before the next 12 hr flight.. Flying and being in airports for 30-50 hours in a row gets old very quickly..

Ripp

--------------------

Ripp
.577 member

#291628 - 08/12/16 03:47 AM

Speaking of travel..check this out..in todays news here..

Ripp

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/news/us-airline-to-charge-passengers-to-use-overhead-bins/

--------------------

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#291631 - 08/12/16 03:59 AM

No apologies, US airlines are shit.

The layover in Auckland was supposed to be 2 hours. But when they already arrive 2 to 3 hours late ...

The construction area was to be done in future and so it was a quiet hidden corner. Found it while exploring. Then later looked for it again and had a lot of trouble finding it again. Around a hidden corner, and another whole section of a couple of empty shops and a shop wide corridor. Which airport staff had thoughtfully filled with counches and other chairs spare from elsewhere. Presumably for the LAM flights to Santiago which always were delayed ....

Some airports such as Kuala Lumpur and Singapore have day beds in places for the very long scheduled stopovers.

I always would now use an airport hotel if the stop over was say 6 or 7 hours or longer. Usually they aren't that expensive, around $90 and up.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

gryphon
.450 member

#291647 - 08/12/16 09:26 AM

I book a six hour room (max) at Singapore,shower,bed AND bath for $80 I think it is well worth it imo.
JH that lens I showed you weighs 3.8 kilos..8.5 pounds alone. I have never got through without being weighed at the gate. I wasnt allowed to take a bundle of hunt mags in my carry on case BUT I was allowed to put them in a fucking shopping bag and still take on board.

--------------------

Ripp
.577 member

#291661 - 08/12/16 01:35 PM

When you say this, could you be more direct please??? Perhaps you could tell us how you really feel..

LOL..

Ripp

--------------------

RobertM
.224 member

Reged: 17/06/16
Loc: South Africa
      #291672 - 08/12/16 10:44 PM

With regards to the original post,

375 H&H will work for all plains game here, otherwise for most 3006 is always a good option with 180 to 220gr bullets.

with regards to ammo, if you are coming to South africa, bring your own, as you cannot buy ammunition in South Africa without a valid firearms licence for that calibre, and most gunshops will not sell to you on your temporary import permit. Our firearms licencing is quite a process.

ducmarc
.400 member

Re: best african plains rifle [Re: RobertM]
      #291694 - 09/12/16 11:25 AM

Called ER Shaw they rebarrel one of my p17 Enfields in 375 h&h for 385$ with a four month lead time.figured 26" and a standard sporter contour.it's been interesting u guys talking about your travel,hunting experiences thanks.whats everyones thoughts on detachable scope mounts? I have one set besides a couple of rifles with Bausch and lomb balvar 8.and that's a German claw mount that works really good.

--------------------

DarylS
.700 member

#291695 - 09/12/16 11:52 AM

That's cheap - including contoured, threaded and chambering.

I know other hunters like shorter barrels, but I do like 26" of barrel. My new Browning .300 Win Mag.and old .375/06 IMP both have 26" bls. My 9.3x62 has only 21.5" and it just feels too stubby.

--------------------
Daryl

Ripp
.577 member

#291698 - 09/12/16 01:42 PM

Quote:

That's cheap - including contoured, threaded and chambering.

I know other hunters like shorter barrels, but I do like 26" of barrel. My new Browning .300 Win Mag.and old .375/06 IMP both have 26" bls. My 9.3x62 has only 21.5" and it just feels too stubby.

I like 26" on the ultra-mags or weatherby mags..but for me in the thicker stuff and what is normally shorter ranges, 200 yards or less, I like 24 or even 22....I know this is a very particular thing for each hunter..but that is what I personally like in 375H&H on up...

Whatever you chose, shoot it a lot and get very used to it..

As to mounts, I have both..detach on the Blaser...fixed on the others...have never had an issue with the fixed and my experience with them is much greater than the Blaser so hopefully others will weigh in on this..

Ripp

--------------------

Charls
.275 member

Reged: 05/05/05
Loc: South Africa
      #291703 - 09/12/16 03:57 PM

For tough skinned animals like wildebeest, zebra etc at longer distances the best would probably be 300 win mag or 7mm rem mag. It is only when you hunt something that can bite scratch or claw that you that you need a 375. I (being South African) hunt here regularly and my most used rifle is a 7mm rem mag. If you hunt at shorter distances in the bushveldt, the 375 is good (not so much deflection through the bushes).
Which area do you plan on hunting in?
Charls

ducmarc
.400 member

Re: best african plains rifle [Re: Charls]
      #291742 - 10/12/16 12:19 PM

Was thinking of central nambia.

--------------------

ducmarc
.400 member

#291743 - 10/12/16 12:24 PM

Anyone about ozondjahe hunting safaris? They seem to pop up .seems there's a pile of PHs with roughly same song and dance.

--------------------

Postman
.375 member

#291744 - 10/12/16 12:52 PM

Quote:

Was thinking of central nambia.

My Sako Kodiak, 20" barrel, sighted 1" high at 200 yards will shoot point blank aim out to around 275 yards using full loads of H4350 and Barnes 300 grain TSX..... Namibia is my absolute 1st choice in African hunting destination. They really have it figured out wrt to game management, and conservation all wrapped up in a hunter friendly and relatively safe African destination at reasonable prices. The shots can get a little long in the mountainous dry conditions around Windhoek where most plains game are hunted, but certainly still within reasonable reach of a .375 H&H. North east in the Caprivi, the shots are not so long with the swamps and thorn bush islands. There are many others with a great deal more experience here than myself, but I think you'll do very very well for yourself going to central Namibia. You may wish to look at one of the .338 calibers..... Either Winchester, Weatherby, Lapua, all will be wonderful. Lots of snap, lots of distance, flat shooting, and horsepower to close the deal way out there on even the larger plains game. Still, I wouldn't feel hard done by with my short barrel .375 in hand. If you do lose your ammo due to the airline ineptitude we all fear, the .375 will be easier to get replacement ammo for in Windhoek than will the more exotic flavours of the .338.... I am getting rather exited at the mere thought of you planning your trip.... I wish it were me planning for the adventure... For now I will simply be excited for you!!!! My time will come again.

Edited by Postman (10/12/16 12:53 PM)

Ripp
.577 member

#291748 - 10/12/16 01:52 PM

Saw this article and thought of this post...so here you go..may or may not be helpful to you..

Ripp

https://www.americanhunter.org/articles/2016/12/9/behind-the-bullet-375-hh-magnum/

--------------------

Kiwi_bloke
.333 member

Reged: 03/09/09
Loc: New Zealand
      #291811 - 11/12/16 09:14 PM

A 9,3x62mm will save you a pound of carry weight and has a standard length action besides. It is a quite common calibre in Africa and is usually OK even where the .375 is the legal minimum for dangerous game. It was made for Africa!

For a bit more reach, the 8x68S is in the .338 Winchester Magnum class but is also lighter than a .375 H&H. One writer thought that the 8x68S was the best antelope cartridge ever invented. I wouldn't argue with him. The A-Square reloading manual states that in old German territories, such as Namibia, "it is the yard-stick,or meter-stick, by which all other cartridges are measured".

When I have been hunting sambar for 2 days, dawn to dusk, the 8x68S is much more pleasant to carry than the .375 H&H. It's a Mauser 66 which means that it has a telescoping action. Coupled with a barrel band, this means the muzzle sits quite a bit lower on the shoulder than a Mauser 98 style rifle with the same length barrel. That could be handy in some places too.

Postman
.375 member

Re: best african plains rifle [Re: Kiwi_bloke]
      #291814 - 11/12/16 10:25 PM

Kiwi makes a wonderful point!!! In the Americas, our minds don't naturally gravitate to the 9.3x62, but should!!!! Yes!!! Standard length action!!! Yes!!! Common cartridge on the African continent!!! And, YES!!! Lots of horsepower!!! And of course, there's no sense in carrying a brick when one need only carry a feather!!!

This forum is spectacular because it gives one a very practical global view to global questions!!!

szihn
.400 member

#291816 - 12/12/16 02:46 AM

I agree with postman.
I think the 9.3X62 is an excellent rifle, better in many ways than our 35 Whelen mostly for the reason of bullets available for it. I wish .366 barrels were more available in the USA for a lower price. Wishing doesn't usually produce much progress for me however.

I have a Mauser in 300 H&H, a 9.3X74R Ruger #1, and a Mauser 375H&H. I really have no need for anything else in between the 300 and the 375, but I have toyed with the idea of making a 9.3X62 on a Mauser with an 18" barrel and a full stock with German side paneled. My 375 is a 9.5 pound rifle with a 25 inch barrel, and my 300 is a 10.5 pound rifle with a 27 inch barrel. So have a powerful rifle in a carbine length might be nice. I made this 8X57 in that style and I think a 9.3 may be a good match for it.

We have lots of Grizzly Bears in the mountains where I hunt elk and such a rifle might be nice for hunting elk in steep country where repelling borders may be necessary.

Edited by szihn (12/12/16 03:10 AM)

DarylS
.700 member

Re: best african plains rifle [Re: szihn]
      #291818 - 12/12/16 05:47 AM

Rod has a 20" 9.3x62 which he likes for 'convenience'.

One of the best ways the 9.3x62 is better than the .35 Whelen, is that it has the same capacity as an Improved '06case. The 9.3x62's I measured, from 2 different factory 9.3x62, was 78gr. water capacity.

--------------------
Daryl

szihn
.400 member

#291824 - 12/12/16 07:32 AM

I am keeping my ears open for a 9.3MM barrel blank rifled 1 turn in 12" or faster. I would love to make a rifle that can handle the 320 grain bullets well. I think 1-12" is ok, but I'd bet 1-11" or 1-10" would be perfect.

I have everything else I need to make the rifle including the reamer, but no barrel (yet)

Edited by szihn (12/12/16 07:43 AM)

coll416
.275 member

Reged: 19/02/12
Loc: Central Queensland
      #291831 - 12/12/16 09:42 AM

My '98 9.3x62 has a 24" barrel & weighs 7'10oz without scope. This is the reason the 9.3x62 is a better choice than .375H&H in almost all situations. The lighter rifle swings & points more readily helping the shooter to get off the aimed shot more quickly. The .375H&H is a great & popular cartridge however its design leads to much heavier & longer firearms restricting its flexibility. The 9.3 does not give away much to the .375 in terms of power when reloaded. My Walther barrel shoots the 320gn WoodleighRN at almost 2400fps for the tough stuff & there are many great choices for the plains from 232gn-286gn.

Ripp
.577 member

Re: best african plains rifle [Re: coll416]
      #291839 - 12/12/16 01:28 PM

Quote:

My '98 9.3x62 has a 24" barrel & weighs 7'10oz without scope. This is the reason the 9.3x62 is a better choice than .375H&H in almost all situations. The lighter rifle swings & points more readily helping the shooter to get off the aimed shot more quickly. The .375H&H is a great & popular cartridge however its design leads to much heavier & longer firearms restricting its flexibility. The 9.3 does not give away much to the .375 in terms of power when reloaded. My Walther barrel shoots the 320gn WoodleighRN at almost 2400fps for the tough stuff & there are many great choices for the plains from 232gn-286gn.

Curious reading this..do you have a scope on this rifle ? and if so, what is the weight with scope and mounts??

Thank you

Ripp

--------------------

coll416
.275 member

Reged: 19/02/12
Loc: Central Queensland
      #292083 - 15/12/16 07:03 PM

Hi Ripp

My rifle weighs 8'10oz with Leupold VX3 1.75-6x32 in Talley QD mounts. I opted for a slightly heavier barrel profile because I like a little weight for holding steady in offhand situations.

Ripp
.577 member

Re: best african plains rifle [Re: coll416]
      #292089 - 16/12/16 12:41 AM

Quote:

Hi Ripp

My rifle weighs 8'10oz with Leupold VX3 1.75-6x32 in Talley QD mounts. I opted for a slightly heavier barrel profile because I like a little weight for holding steady in offhand situations.

That is a nice weight --thank you for the reply..

My 416 has a heavier barrel on it as well, which like you, I like...also is very accurate...

Ripp

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 26 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 7808

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com