Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: The greatest rifle ever made???

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Rifles

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Postman
.375 member

Reged: 25/09/13
Loc: Canada
Re: The greatest rifle ever made??? [Re: lonewulf]
      #287935 - 16/09/16 11:46 PM

Quote:

Hey, guys, I'm not suggesting the 98 is the only rifle worth a damn. There are plenty of non-Mauser derived rifles out there and most of them are pretty good.

But if the question is: "which is the greatest [bolt action] ever made", I think it would be ridiculous, at least IMO, to suggest that rifle would be a Rem 700.

However, if you actually believe that is in fact the case, that the Rem is indeed the 'greatest', I'd then have to ask you to point out the features of that design that make it a better action than the 98.

So let's go back and review the entire thread and all the statements made therein. I think it was my initial comment designed to (successfully) instigate a riot that claimed CRF was marketing hype and even a Remmy 700 push feed will cycle upside down. Nobody EVER claimed a Remmy 700 was the best. The 700 took arguably the world's best design, the M98 Mauser and bastardized it to be modular, cost effective, and mass production friendly. At it's best, the 700 is an ingenious and reliable platform that works extremely well, one that offends the senses of the M98 purists, and the 700 is far too often plagued with build issues on the assembly line. The M98 itself is not without faults either though, and some of these are directly inherent in its design. It weakens one of the locking lugs by machining a slot through the middle of it for the ejector, and the gas handling capabilities from a ruptured primer are well short of perfect.

I have seen limited DG hunting, but I equipped myself with a double as my primary firearm, backup rifle being a Sako push feed in .375.... I am comfortable with the Sako and the caliber was a hedge on lost ammo courtesy of the airline.

Some context: professionally I am an IT guy specializing in infrastructure in general and networking in particular associated with the very large global banks and their high availability systems, an environment that is intolerant of outages or service interruption of any kind. What we know is that the basic question is not "if" hardware will fail, but "when" it will fail, so we design around this with diversity and redundancy. Another irrefutable given is that software is always buggy and as a general rule becomes more stable over time as fixes are applied.

Why the context? Well, the parallel is that the double rifle is the highly available fully diverse and redundant hardware and of course the hunter is the software. The bolt rifle is not a high av system but can be made very well indeed, whether it be push feed or CRF, of it can be made very poorly in either format. The software again, is the hunter. I can short stroke a push feed, and I can stove pipe a CRF if I am buggy. I can use either to great effect if I do my part.

The key here is to do your part and use a well maintained, tried and true rifle. That could be a properly built model 700. Make sure you don't let the circlip extractor clog up with rust and crud over many years of neglect, and it will serve you well, because as offensive as that design is to the Mauser 98 purist, it is pure evil genius and incredibly strong, reliable and effective. On the flip side, make sure your CRF extractor claw is also properly built, correctly tuned and timed, and well maintained, and not to forget, operate it properly, lest it bugger up into a colossal jam as well.

We can't fix stupid. If the software is really buggy, one can't hope to see either form of bolt rifle be dependable. In good hands, a well executed rifle of any M98 persuasion in either push feed or CRF format is a truly remarkable rifle. Surely from a pedigree perspective, the M98 is a peerless design in all of its many renditions and to me that includes a well executed push feed.

To say that a CRF is the only way, is at least to me, still driven by marketers wanting a new gimmick to push rifles out the door. I'd rather have in my hands a well executed push feed than a poorly done CRF any day of the week. I will not short stroke mine no matter how high the stress level. I've learned how to operate it properly.

Of note, I've not played with these relatively new generation Winchesters to pass judgement on them, however, back in the 70s when I was most close to them, they as I recall were of typical assembly line build, fit, and finish. Nothing to get excited about in the quality or accuracy dept, and they were at the time push feed. My uneducated thought is that Winchesters are still of average mediocre build quality and accuracy, but now they come with CRF, and according to the marketing hype, we should toss all of our push feeds and rush out and buy one of them lest we lose our life over it...... Really?

Winchester made a bunch of CRF noise, and it wasn't long before a bunch of other companies jumped on that bandwagon. "Heaven help us if we lose market share". OMG, a fate worse than death if we too don't come out with our own CRF..... Let's capitalize on the notion that folks will die if they don't have CRF...... Again, REALLY??

Edited by Postman (17/09/16 12:50 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
lonewulf
.300 member

Reged: 06/08/12
Loc: South-East Otago, New Zealand
Re: The greatest rifle ever made??? [Re: Postman]
      #287948 - 17/09/16 09:30 AM

I've never hunted DG and probably never will. There are a number of reasons for that but typically these fall into one of two categories, financial and ethical. I simply mention this because others have commented on there own personal experience of which I have none.

If I were to engage in DG hunting I'd want to carry either a double or a Mauser. When I say Mauser I mean an action incorporating all the safety features found in the 98, rather than something necessarily built by the Company. So a Brno, for example, in an appropriate caliber would do just fine - assuming it functioned correctly of course.

If it were a double it would have to be what I would describe as a 'proper double' and by that I means two separate ejectors, separate locks etc. Essentially two complete rifles joined together and sharing a common stock.

So basically I'd want a firearm that, should the shit hit the fan, gave me as much of a safety buffer as possible without detracting from the classical nature of the hunt.

One the subject of supposed Mauser system failings, yes, the split lug probably isn't as good as a solid one but as far as I'm aware this is mostly theoretical. The gas issue again is, as far as I know, theoretical. Although some other actions may handle gas better (?), the Mauser 98 does it better than most and certainly as well or better than any of its contemporaries.

The Rem 700 may well, as you say, cycle successfully in an inverted state BUT, is that actually a relevant consideration? A Mauser may well function perfectly while submerged in heavy crude but again, is that relevant? And if your Mauser system rifle is 'stove piping' as you say, I'd suggest it's malfunctioning (as all mechanical things tend to do sooner or later) and in need of some urgent remedial action. Properly functioning Mauser action rifles don't stove pipe in my experience.

As an IT guy I'm sure you'd agree that, as mentioned above, mechanical systems will usually fail sooner or later. And as a spring operated button ejector is inherently more prone to failure (on a number of grounds) than a non-mechanical fixed blade, why would you knowingly put your life on the line and elect to take the former over the latter. Similarly, we know that short-stroking can leave you with a completely inoperable firearm, often at the most inopportune moment. So again, why would you knowingly take that risk when you don't have too? The problem of short stroking was solved for the most part with the development of the non-rotating claw extractor so why not take advantage of the development and potentially save your own life? Sure, you can hunt DG with a flintlock if you want and you may well get away with it too, if you keep the thing well maintained etc, BUT, the potential for system failure is even higher than the potential cock-ups that could happen with a push feed action [although perhaps only marginally so ]

And finally, as you allude in your comment, the push feed action has one major advantage and that is cost. I don't know what Remington spend to produce their push feed actions but I'd guess something less than a third of what it costs to produce a Mauser clone. That, if I'm correct, is a significant difference, if you're just using the rifle to shoot vermin but probably worth every penny when hunting DG under conditions of great emotional stress. But as you say, you can't fix stupid.

gryphon
.450 member

Reged: 01/01/03
Loc: Sambar ground/Victoria/Austral...
      #287949 - 17/09/16 09:47 AM

Ah we must stop and ponder the men that walked before us..they just grabbed a rifle went out and "did it" without the hoo haa!

--------------------
Get off the chair away from the desk and get out in the bush and enjoy life.

Rule303
.416 member

Reged: 05/07/09
Loc: Woodford Qld
Re: The greatest rifle ever made??? [Re: gryphon]
      #287951 - 17/09/16 04:04 PM

Gryph, spot on. Plenty of DG shot using push feed as well as CRF.

Lonewolf the reference to a 700 cycling inverted was brought about by a few M98 one eyed supports claiming CRF would cycle upside down and PF would not. Buggered if I know why you would want to do it.

So far Rem make the claim not to have had a 700 action fail, yes barrels have gone down range but the action has held, bolt has not come back at the shooter even with massive overloads. Action might be stuffed but it has not failed. Not so with M98.

Gas handling, I am no expert in this area. However those who do or should know claim the Savage 110 based actions and the 700 are designed to handle escaping gas and do it well. Apparently none of the other US designed rifles are as well designed for this. This includes the Ruger 77 and Win M70. Take the Rem extractor out of a 700 and replace it with a Sako style extractor and you have just nutted the 700. Gas handling goes out the door and pieces of bolt can and have come back at the shooter. The Sako style extractor is weaker than the 700's all things being in top order.

You can short stroke a M98 and have a foul up. This includes rechambering the empty and trying to fire what the person believes is a live round. Produces some very entertaining moments on a range. This is actually less likely with a PF.

Also the 700 is a descendant of the P14/M17 action, yes this was close to the M98.

No to be sacrilegious. Double Rifles are not bee all of DG armaments. They can and do fail. From an old African hand. Open and close one in long grass covered in dust/dirt. Unless you cover it there is chances are you won't be able to get it closed. Dust will have entered the action to prevent it closing properly. Same if for what ever reason you manage to drop it while reloading.

There is a saying that some of the graves in the Nairobi cemetery wouldn't be there if the person was using a double rifle, probably true. Also it is said there are graves there that wouldn't be if the person had been using a bolt gun instead of a double.

Like I said. Choose the system/rifle you wont, go use it.

Postman
.375 member

Reged: 25/09/13
Loc: Canada
Re: The greatest rifle ever made??? [Re: Rule303]
      #287956 - 17/09/16 11:22 PM

Rule & Gryph:

Spot on!!!! Run what cha brung!!!!! Be comfy with it. Know how to use it. Technical discussions are interesting theory but it's the practical application of anything that separates the men from the boys. I love my double, but I cry bullshit if one thinks it is "the" answer. I don't give it mud baths but if I did, I am painfully aware that it wouldn't close and it would be no more useful than a caveman's club......

Lonewulf: you are spot on as well. Give one's self every advantage that one can. Use the technology in the form you are most comfortable with. Avoid outright design faults and shortcomings where possible yet appreciating some features are mutually exclusive and most things in life are a compromise of one sort or another. And take care of your gear and maintain it properly so it will function when needed.

When was the last time anyone ever shot a push feed upside down anyway even though it will indeed work that way? My colt .45 will actually shoot underwater as per the US Army field trials pre WWI but who would ever do it????

This is absolutely the greatest forum and participant members on the Web by a wide margin and I am absolutely honoured to be able to engage with everyone in such a respectful and intruiging way.

Edited by Postman (17/09/16 11:33 PM)

Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
      #287963 - 18/09/16 05:41 AM

Quote:

Hey, guys, I'm not suggesting the 98 is the only rifle worth a damn. There are plenty of non-Mauser derived rifles out there and most of them are pretty good.

But if the question is: "which is the greatest [bolt action] ever made", I think it would be ridiculous, at least IMO, to suggest that rifle would be a Rem 700.

However, if you actually believe that is in fact the case, that the Rem is indeed the 'greatest', I'd then have to ask you to point out the features of that design that make it a better action than the 98.

Sorry if I was not clear in my post. The LAST thing I am suggesting is that the Remington is as good or even in the class of the 98..NO it is not..All I am saying is NO action is perfect IMHO. They all have good and bad issues..just that the Mauser probably has the least number of bad attributes.. and is probably as close to perfection we will ever see.

I do think as to actions, the design of the Remington has lended itself to be a very inherently accurate action type and as such, one of the reasons so many custom shops in the past had used it in custom rifles..I have several rifles made years ago where the only thing Remington of it is the action..everything else about the rifle is non-remington..but man do they shoot...

Ripp

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

gryphon
.450 member

Reged: 01/01/03
Loc: Sambar ground/Victoria/Austral...
Re: The greatest rifle ever made??? [Re: Ripp]
      #287964 - 18/09/16 06:01 AM

Why is it after so many years since the `98 was born that there hasnt been another action made/invented that is 'perfect' is it because there isnt such a thing to be made?
If so then it simply points to the `98 as the GOAT to be had.
I pondered this thread yesterday as I carried my 358 NM `98 up a ferny gully to check a wallow cam and looked down at it thinking "you`ll never fail me"

She doesn't shine,is taped up,wears a second class synthetic stock,she`s scratched and outside is worn and has a fair bit of bark off her but she shoots so well and wont fail!

Long live the King! King `98!

--------------------
Get off the chair away from the desk and get out in the bush and enjoy life.

Rule303
.416 member

Reged: 05/07/09
Loc: Woodford Qld
Re: The greatest rifle ever made??? [Re: gryphon]
      #287989 - 18/09/16 07:03 PM

Gryph, well said and I can say the same for my N05 Jungle carbine and Win M94. Your 358NM I like. Hard worn rifles that speak of age and use have what I call character.

Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
Re: The greatest rifle ever made??? [Re: Rule303]
      #287995 - 19/09/16 01:29 AM

Quote:

Gryph, well said and I can say the same for my N05 Jungle carbine and Win M94. Your 358NM I like. Hard worn rifles that speak of age and use have what I call character.

Agreed--and the stories that come with the hard worn use..

If only at times you could sit along the fire, drink in hand and let them talk...

Ripp

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 24 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 10134

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com