Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: The greatest rifle ever made???

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Rifles

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)
Mike_Bailey
.400 member

Reged: 26/02/07
Loc: GB
Re: The greatest rifle ever made??? [Re: lonewulf]
      #287607 - 09/09/16 05:42 PM

Hmm, 2 camps (double and magazine)

J. Hunter, over 1000 rhino and 800 elephant on control work...pair of Holland .500s
Alan Marsh and Richard Harland, over 2000 elephant between them on control work, both Mannlichers

Discuss ?
best

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
gryphon
.450 member

Reged: 01/01/03
Loc: Sambar ground/Victoria/Austral...
Re: The greatest rifle ever made??? [Re: Mike_Bailey]
      #287608 - 09/09/16 05:58 PM

And Mr Bells gear Mike?

--------------------
Get off the chair away from the desk and get out in the bush and enjoy life.

Postman
.375 member

Reged: 25/09/13
Loc: Canada
      #287612 - 09/09/16 07:52 PM

Quote:

Hmm, 2 camps (double and magazine)

J. Hunter, over 1000 rhino and 800 elephant on control work...pair of Holland .500s
Alan Marsh and Richard Harland, over 2000 elephant between them on control work, both Mannlichers

Discuss ?
best

I love it!! Lively discussion over push vs CRF, and now yet another controversy, double vs magazine!!!!!!!

I'll stick my neck out: I'll take the double. It negates my earlier comment where I was whining about the meagre mag capacity of the Weatherby MKV, but I'll take the two fast over the three slow any time. If it's really sticky, I'd expect things would be over pretty quick one way or the other anyway. I'm talking about hunting, not cropping.

If cropping, maybe I'd pull out a Mauser with CRF, but maybe I'd use a Remmy 700 if they could ever figure out how to drill the holes right and if that's what I had available to me..... Am I right in suggesting that even the Winchester model 70 was push feed from post '64 for some 40 years, until the most recent decade when the marketers rediscovered CRF? In truth, I'd probably choose a good Sako in appropriate caliber which in model 85 form is sort of a CRF.

xausa
.400 member

Reged: 07/03/07
Loc: Tennessee, USA
      #287615 - 09/09/16 09:25 PM

Quote:

Quote:

If you were stuck way out in the back of beyond in a nasty life or death situation and you had the option of a 98 or a Remington would you really take the latter with it's lack of CRF, its puny extractor and it's little spring activated button ejector - over a Mauser? Seriously?

One experience I had soured me permanently on Remingtons as serious, reliable hunting rifles. Their accuracy is beyond dispute, but if you have had, as I have, a Remington bolt handle come off in your hand during a dry firing exercise, you'll never trust one again. Then there's the question of the famous Remington safety breeching system, which controls escaping gas so well. What is never mentioned is the fact that a swelled cartridge case head can lock up the action so tightly that unscrewing the barrel is the only way of removing it. Then there is the question of the trigger and its propensity to allow the rifle to fire when the safety is released.

Taken all in all, no thank you!

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: The greatest rifle ever made??? [Re: xausa]
      #287619 - 10/09/16 01:51 AM

But xausa, Remington is supposed to have fixed the safety fault.

The others are minor if your ammo is good.

As to the great Accuracy, I'm not sure that holds much water. Back in the early 80's, a close friend of mine complained to Remington that his .338 M700 would barely do 3 1/2" with ANY factory ammo & his handloads would only get just under 2", but not 1 1/2".

He mailed it back to the Remington with that note, they sent it back with covering letter in separate mail and somewhere in route after crossing the border back into Canada - the rifle went missing. Friend I got his money back in insurance.

Remington's note said the rifle tested well under their maximum grouping capability of 5" at 100 yards & therefore there was noting wrong with it. Since my friend will not own a rifle that will not group an inch under for 5 shots with handloads, he will never own another Remmy.

The letter really upset him - 5"? I know other fellows with Remington 700's of different calibres that shoot well - I have one in a .22-250 26" Varmint that is quite accurate and off bags runs in the 3/8" to .4" range for 5 shots. My bipod groups open to 1/2" for 5 (not sure why), and run 3/8" or smaller for 3 shot groups. I thought it should do better than that off the bipod but it does not.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

Mike_Bailey
.400 member

Reged: 26/02/07
Loc: GB
Re: The greatest rifle ever made??? [Re: DarylS]
      #287620 - 10/09/16 03:09 AM

Gryphon, he was there very early, elephants not used to rifles, hunting in open terrain. A very good marksman but Bell would not have used a 7x57 if in control work methinks otherwise i'm not sure he would have lived to write a book. Forgot Fletcher as well, pair of .577 's but he was a big bloke, best

gryphon
.450 member

Reged: 01/01/03
Loc: Sambar ground/Victoria/Austral...
      #287621 - 10/09/16 04:02 AM

I have Bells "wanderings" Mike..I was simply raising the fact that the bloke used the bolt rifles.

--------------------
Get off the chair away from the desk and get out in the bush and enjoy life.

Postman
.375 member

Re: The greatest rifle ever made??? [Re: xausa]
      #287623 - 10/09/16 06:25 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

If you were stuck way out in the back of beyond in a nasty life or death situation and you had the option of a 98 or a Remington would you really take the latter with it's lack of CRF, its puny extractor and it's little spring activated button ejector - over a Mauser? Seriously?

One experience I had soured me permanently on Remingtons as serious, reliable hunting rifles. Their accuracy is beyond dispute, but if you have had, as I have, a Remington bolt handle come off in your hand during a dry firing exercise, you'll never trust one again. Then there's the question of the famous Remington safety breeching system, which controls escaping gas so well. What is never mentioned is the fact that a swelled cartridge case head can lock up the action so tightly that unscrewing the barrel is the only way of removing it. Then there is the question of the trigger and its propensity to allow the rifle to fire when the safety is released.

Taken all in all, no thank you!

Yup. The design being a bastardized form of the M98 sans CRF is basically not a bad design at all, enabling modular mass production in staggering volumes. However and it's a big however, the care that goes into assembling these things is beyond dismal... I've literally experienced the scope base holes completely off centre and running diagonally across the top of the action. I have also experienced another whereby the bolt face machining was thoroughly buggered. The little spring steel circlip extractor was loose and flopping around in a lovely spacious groove that was supposed to be a precisely machined slot. That particular rifle would not extract rounds at all and had to go back for a total rifle replacement. Accuracy has been anywhere from astounding to mediocre in my experience. These things are built with no regard whatsoever to the engineering / design specs, and therefore do not grace my vault with the exception of an old 760 pump rifle that time has proven to be both accurate and utterly reliable...

I once loaded a VERY hot round in a 7mm Rem Mag mod 700 and froze the bolt closed - obviously my fault and in no way the fault of the rifle. I beat it with a piece of firewood to open it but the braised on handle stayed on just fine. That cheesy little extractor circlip made of hardened spring steel worked as intended and was effective enough to pull right through the brass rim of the stuck case, demonstrating how truly strong those little buggers are when properly constructed..... (I dare say, maybe even stronger than some of the claw extractors out there that have on some occasions broken off at the bend which I have personally experienced). That rifle had to go to a gun smith that used a stuck case extractor tool to fix up the rifle, and same smith gave me a proper beating for being such a reloading idiot in the first place ( side note : my hand loading skills have improved dramatically over the decades since that holy shit moment of foolishness)

So, I do believe that the Remington model 700 is truly a masterful and potentially highly accurate and reliable design, incorporating all manner of cost cutting measures and selling at a price point that brings a fine shooting rifle to the masses..... Now if they would actually take the proper time and due care in building them properly and as per design intent, we'd really be on to something. But I do agree that most all Remington products fall far short of the mark.... Even the ammo is crap. The only misfire I ever had from factory ammo in all the years I've been shooting was a .30-60 round that sort of popped and fizzled powder out of the end of the barrel instead of going bang like all good cartridges should.

So, I've now slagged Remington a good deal, but putting the quality issues aside, is CRF imperative if one knows how to operate the bolt properly? One should NEVER encounter a round in the chamber and be trying to jack one in behind it.... Operator error!!!!! I've jammed up a CRF rifle for that matter, failing to open up the bolt properly to throw the old casing clear and having the rifle partially clinging to a stovepiped case with another round commencing forward movement but unable to pop in behind the claw...... Lesson learned by me when I was a much younger man: operate the damn equipment properly whatever its operating parameters may be. As long as it's properly built, one should not have issues.

Not looking to offend anyone here, but I am genuinely interested in the rich dialogue. I've recently spent an obscene amount of money ordering up a beautiful shiny new .416 Rigby, in, yes, you guessed it, a CRF design.

Edited by Postman (10/09/16 06:50 AM)

Postman
.375 member

Re: The greatest rifle ever made??? [Re: Postman]
      #287624 - 10/09/16 06:43 AM

So here's a question: is the discussion here that push feed is bad, or is it that the Remmy circlip extractor is bad?

Curiosity seriously took hold of me and after a brief trip to my vault, I have observed that both my Sako mod 75 as well as my one remaining Weatherby MK V are both full on push feeds, but both have a claw extractor, substantially more significant looking than the near invisible Remington circlip extractor. Both these rifles feed like butter and give me great confidence and I have no fear of piling a second cartridge into an already occupied chamber. My Sako mod 85 did accompany me on a DG hunt as my backup rifle and it's merely an "almost" CRF with a claw extractor. (I hunted with a rimmed cartridge double rifle)

DarylS
.700 member

#287635 - 10/09/16 10:20 AM

Just thought I should mention this at this stage of the event.

Last spring (May) I bought a 35 year old box of .330 Win. Mag. 180gr. Core Lokt Sp's from a friend - $20.00 - dollar each - good deal for me.

A couple days ago I got round to testing them as I was already zero'd 1 1/2" high at 100 meters and zero'd at 200 with the Winchester 180-gr. Bonded bullet.

The RP's put up 3 that almost touched, 3" high, giving me a zero of 265 approximately. I was surprised by the accuracy, but this push feed Browning "A" bolt with 26" pipe has shown to shoot fairly well and with a variety of ammo.

--------------------
Daryl

Postman
.375 member

Re: The greatest rifle ever made??? [Re: DarylS]
      #287638 - 10/09/16 11:10 AM

That's great accuracy out of both rifle and ammo. Maybe that '06 fizzle round that I experienced was a bad luck fluke, but it sure frustrated me and when combined with some rifle QC issues I was also in the midst of experiencing at the time has driven me to condemn the lot. Yes. I admit I am being both unfair and highly prejudicial which Daryls experience would point out is wrong minded......

DarylS
.700 member

#287643 - 10/09/16 11:56 AM

Then one looks at the Marlins that came out directly after Remington bought out Marlin and fired all the old Marlin staff - having their 'other' workers' make the lever actioned Marlins.

They were horrid - ill fitted, with many failing to function properly. They are better now, a couple years later, but still not up to snuff with what was coming out of the original Marlin Plant - in my honest opinion.

--------------------
Daryl

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
      #287672 - 11/09/16 07:30 AM

Quote:

So here's a question: is the discussion here that push feed is bad, or is it that the Remmy circlip extractor is bad?

That is another point, I do strongly prefer the large reliable extractor of the M98.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
      #287673 - 11/09/16 07:32 AM

Quote:

Gryphon, he was there very early, elephants not used to rifles, hunting in open terrain. A very good marksman but Bell would not have used a 7x57 if in control work methinks otherwise i'm not sure he would have lived to write a book. Forgot Fletcher as well, pair of .577 's but he was a big bloke, best

Bell actually used the .318 WR M98 later in life for most of his elephant hunting.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Waidmannsheil
.400 member

Reged: 19/04/13
Loc: Melbourne Australia
Re: The greatest rifle ever made??? [Re: NitroX]
      #287888 - 15/09/16 09:21 PM

Maybe something like this should be the greatest rifle ever made. I have often thought that a Double Square bridge Mauser action and bolt together with a Schoenauer rotary spool and a Winchester Model 70 trigger and safety would be the ultimate bolt action rifle. Interesting article anyway.

http://www.classicarmsjournal.com/the-mauserlicher-rifle/

Waidmannsheil.

--------------------
There is nothing wrong with vegetarian food, so long as there is meat with it.

Waidmannsheil
.400 member

Reged: 19/04/13
Loc: Melbourne Australia
Re: The greatest rifle ever made??? [Re: Waidmannsheil]
      #287892 - 15/09/16 10:17 PM

I would also include a Oberndorf type floor plate and a Model 70 post 67 type anti-bind rail.

Waidmannsheil.

--------------------
There is nothing wrong with vegetarian food, so long as there is meat with it.

Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
Re: The greatest rifle ever made??? [Re: NitroX]
      #287894 - 15/09/16 10:59 PM

Quote:

Quote:

That is another point, I do strongly prefer the large reliable extractor of the M98.

Ironically I just read an article in the latest issue of GUNS AND AMMO regarding push vs controlled round feed. The article suggested several advantages and disadvantages for both. Some are as follows. It did suggest that the controlled round does not feed the newer shorter fatter cases as well as a push feed..states by design the mauser was designed initially for longer thinner cases..it stated that if there is an issue with a push feed as to doubling up when you slam another round into the chamber that 99% of the time this is more an issue of the magazine holding the rounds instead of the action itself. One should not fault a type of action for a poorly done or tuned magazine. Stated that one shear example of reliability is that nearly 100% of the sniper rifles used in the military are push feed vs controlled round feed stating this is truly hunting "dangerous game" that can shoot back..Finally stated that to remedy the situation as to feeding both types are adopting the detachable clip which allows only 1 round to move forward therefore allowing a more direct approach to the chamber and impossible to double feed..

I may or may not have gotten this all correct as its from memory..which mine is not that great, unless you owe me money.. As stated earlier, I have no dog in this fight as I have both. I DO think the 98 action is amazing and probably the best ever designed. I will admit however 90% of my hunting has been with push feed and have never had an issue after shooting literally thousands of rounds..one day it may..hopefully not while I am hunting dangerous game..

Ripp

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

Edited by Ripp (16/09/16 12:55 AM)

Postman
.375 member

Re: The greatest rifle ever made??? [Re: Ripp]
      #287896 - 16/09/16 02:36 AM

Interesting commentary on the military's almost exclusive use of controlled round feed. Maybe someone forgot to tell the US military about that. Many conflicts saw the issuance of Remington model 700s to the American sniper teams if I have my facts right and my memory is not too terribly flawed.

I too have no dog in this fight. I use 'em both and I've personally not experienced screw ups with either once I figured out how to operate each of them properly. Funny. The Sako TRG is a common choice for both military and police of many nations. It's got a great looking extractor but I'll be damned if I even know if it's push or CRF!! It never much occurred to me to look close enough to make that determination. Mine functions well and has yet to jam on me after much use. I guess i just don't care either way as long as a given rifle works reliably for me. The marketers (again those damn pushy loud slippery marketers) would have me believe that if it isn't CRF, my life is in imminent danger so I better dump my Weattherby DG rifles and all my other push feed rifles and go buy their newfangled rifle that by golly has CRF. Best trash all those push feed Winchester model 70s sold for about four decades after 1964 while we're at it.

Now, I'm going back to the bar and continue my wait for my Heym (with CRF) to be built and delivered 😀

Edited by Postman (16/09/16 04:49 AM)

Ripp
.577 member

#287899 - 16/09/16 04:14 AM

Quote:

Interesting commentary on the military's almost exclusive use of controlled round feed. Maybe someone forgot to tell the US military about that. Many conflicts saw the issuance of Remington model 700s to the American sniper teams if I have my facts right and my memory is not too terribly flawed.

I too have no dog in this fight. I use 'em both and I've personally not experienced screw ups with either once I figured out how to operate each of them properly. Funny. The Sako TRG is a common choice for both military and police of many nations. It's got a great looking extractor but I'll be damned if I even know if it's push or CRF!! It never much occurred to me to look close enough to make that determination. Mine functions well and has yet to jam on me after much use. I guess i just don't care either way as long as a given rifle works reliably for me. The marketers (again those damn pushy loud slippery marketers) would have me believe that if it isn't CRF, my life is in imminent danger so I better dump my Weattherby DG rifles and all my other push feed rifles and go buy their newfangled rifle that by golly has CRF. Best trash all those Winchester model 70s sold for about four decades after 1964 while we're at it.

Now, I'm going back to the bar and continue my wait for my Heym (with CRF) to be built and delivered 😀

I as well have a TRG-42 in 338 Lapua..great weapon..as to push or controlled see info shown below..

http://www.sako.fi/rifles/sako-trg/trg-42

BTW--congrats on the new Heym..great choice..

Ripp

--------------------

Edited by Ripp (16/09/16 04:16 AM)

Postman
.375 member

#287900 - 16/09/16 04:46 AM

My current TRG is in .308 with ragged one hole group capability at 100 metres. My first was a .338 Lapua. My current range only offers 300 metres and the Lapua was so accurate with so much reach, it became boring spending time with it. Seriously. They both accurately shoot far beyond my personal shooting capabilities.

Anyhow, yes, I ordered the Heym Express rifle in .416 Rigby I guess it's been a couple of months ago now. Up until now I've NEVER spent this kind of money on a bolt gun of all things, nor would I have ever even remotely considered it, but after some considerable exposure to their doubles, something snapped inside me and I just had to have one. I pray the thing is accurate. It will be utterly heartbreaking if it turns out to disappoint in the accuracy department. I suppose time will tell, but it's too late now. The money's been spent. It's kind of like the heart stressing trepidation I felt ordering a bespoke double and hoping beyond all hope that it was well regulated.... Once that money is out the door, it's a used gun depreciated considerably from the moment is was sold new. I've had a couple of doubles that I relinquished after experiencing less than impressive regulation, and that is an expensive game to play indeed. The Heyms have been great though, I must say.

Edited by Postman (16/09/16 04:52 AM)

lonewulf
.300 member

Reged: 06/08/12
Loc: South-East Otago, New Zealand
      #287912 - 16/09/16 10:27 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Ironically I just read an article in the latest issue of GUNS AND AMMO regarding push vs controlled round feed. The article suggested several advantages and disadvantages for both. Some are as follows. It did suggest that the controlled round does not feed the newer shorter fatter cases as well as a push feed..states by design the mauser was designed initially for longer thinner cases..it stated that if there is an issue with a push feed as to doubling up when you slam another round into the chamber that 99% of the time this is more an issue of the magazine holding the rounds instead of the action itself. One should not fault a type of action for a poorly done or tuned magazine. Stated that one shear example of reliability is that nearly 100% of the sniper rifles used in the military are push feed vs controlled round feed stating this is truly hunting "dangerous game" that can shoot back..Finally stated that to remedy the situation as to feeding both types are adopting the detachable clip which allows only 1 round to move forward therefore allowing a more direct approach to the chamber and impossible to double feed..

I may or may not have gotten this all correct as its from memory..which mine is not that great, unless you owe me money.. As stated earlier, I have no dog in this fight as I have both. I DO think the 98 action is amazing and probably the best ever designed. I will admit however 90% of my hunting has been with push feed and have never had an issue after shooting literally thousands of rounds..one day it may..hopefully not while I am hunting dangerous game..

Ripp

As previously stated, I believe a PRF bolt action is suitable or at least, adequate, for most hunting situations. However, at the point where it's being suggested that a 'pushy' is no better or worse than a Mauser for the hunting of DG, then we are potentially endangering lives.

Sniping at someone hundreds or even a thousand or more meters distant isn't the same thing as facing DG at 20-30 meters in scrub jungle. The immediacy of the threat is entirely different. In the second scenarios you simply cannot afford to have a malfunction, whether that happens to be caused by a mechanical problem or human error. A PRF action has all the potential for a giant cock-up in such circumstances. If the stress of the situation gets to the hunter and he short-strokes a round into the action and then inadvertently attempts to chamber another he's in very serious trouble. If, at this point, he doesn't have a reliable individual to back him up, he may well be dead. Anyone who claims with any degree of certainty that this situation couldn't happen to them is just a fool.

There are few real certainties in life but one of them just happens to be that the Mauser 98 is the best bolt action ever made.

Postman
.375 member

#287916 - 16/09/16 12:12 PM

Hi Lonewulf:

Your passion is both admirable and noteworthy...... Agreed that under stress, people do strange things, whether it be short stroking a push feed or cycling a CRF bolt 5 times, forgetting to pull the trigger and having 5 unfired cartridges hurled in the mud. Ultimately, if it takes CRF to save people from themselves then so be it but I do believe that you can't truly save people from themselves, and you can't fix stupid. People will do all manner of weird things under pressure no matter how much technology or design work one throws at it. I think the statistics would be in your favour suggesting more people would have a higher tendency to short stroke as a human design fault, so we need to design our DG rifles, i.e. Mauser for the lowest common human denominator, no matter how pitiful that may be. In any event, I don't think there is a better all time rifle design than the Mauser. Most modern bolt guns as has been previously noted share that fundamental lineage.

Respectfully,

Postman

Edited by Postman (16/09/16 12:29 PM)

Ripp
.577 member

#287920 - 16/09/16 12:50 PM

Quote:

Hi Lonewulf:

Your passion is both admirable and noteworthy...... Agreed that under stress, people do strange things, whether it be short stroking a push feed or cycling a CRF bolt 5 times, forgetting to pull the trigger and having 5 unfired cartridges hurled in the mud. Ultimately, if it takes CRF to save people from themselves then so be it but I do believe that you can't truly save people from themselves, and you can't fix stupid. People will do all manner of weird things under pressure no matter how much technology or design work one throws at it. I think the statistics would be in your favour suggesting more people would have a higher tendency to short stroke as a human design fault, so we need to design our DG rifles, i.e. Mauser for the lowest common human denominator, no matter how pitiful that may be. In any event, I don't think there is a better all time rifle design than the Mauser. Most modern bolt guns as has been previously noted share that fundamental lineage.

Respectfully,

Postman

Agree--and as I have both seen and talked to those who have had issues, controlled round is far from fool proof. One of the most infamous incidents I can think of is a local booking agent in this area who is known worldwide for both their business and hunting exploits. He and his wife were hunting buffalo in Zim..wife wounded a bull..they went in the following morning..wife shot, tried to get another round in the chamber, rifle jammed, buff hit wife..wife spent 6 months in hospitals both in Africa, Europe and US..one issue pointed out in the article is, especially with the short fat cases, you need to pull the bolt all the way to the rear to get the empty case ejected which is causing some jamming issues..the other is on my Mauser type action I can't just go ahead and drop a live round in the chamber and slam it shut..has to first go in the magazine..again probably based on what I have used the most. but I am much quicker doing in with a push feed..

Each to their own but I have hunted lion, leopard, elephant, hippo, buffalo and an entire host of other not so dangerous species with a good old Remington custom shop .416..no issues and frankly even though I have 3 controlled round feeds in the safe, will probably keep using it ..if you feel safer using a controlled, by all means go ahead..have to use what you are comfortable with ..after all its still kind of a free world..

Ripp

--------------------

lonewulf
.300 member

Reged: 06/08/12
Loc: South-East Otago, New Zealand
      #287921 - 16/09/16 01:18 PM

Hey, guys, I'm not suggesting the 98 is the only rifle worth a damn. There are plenty of non-Mauser derived rifles out there and most of them are pretty good.

But if the question is: "which is the greatest [bolt action] ever made", I think it would be ridiculous, at least IMO, to suggest that rifle would be a Rem 700.

However, if you actually believe that is in fact the case, that the Rem is indeed the 'greatest', I'd then have to ask you to point out the features of that design that make it a better action than the 98.

Rule303
.416 member

Reged: 05/07/09
Loc: Woodford Qld
      #287929 - 16/09/16 07:13 PM

Quote:

Hey, guys, I'm not suggesting the 98 is the only rifle worth a damn. There are plenty of non-Mauser derived rifles out there and most of them are pretty good.

But if the question is: "which is the greatest [bolt action] ever made", I think it would be ridiculous, at least IMO, to suggest that rifle would be a Rem 700.

However, if you actually believe that is in fact the case, that the Rem is indeed the 'greatest', I'd then have to ask you to point out the features of that design that make it a better action than the 98.

Well what you ask is very open. What one person thinks/believes is good another may not.

For years I would not have a CRF, other than a Lee Enfield. I my younger years I saw or was involved with several CRF, mainly M98's, that failed. Double feeds, dropping the fired case back into the action before it got to the ejectors among other issues. I seriously questioned the sanity of those who said you needed CRF for DG.

In later years I started using CRF, the Ruger M77 Mk2 etc left me less then impressed, Winchester M70 still leaves me cold. I do like the CZ550, P14/M17 and an old VZ24. They work like a bolt action should work. All this is subjective so it would be hard give a definitive answer IMHO.

I have 3, what I would call DG Calibres. 416 Rigby, 375H&H, 358RUM-I did say what I would call . 2 are CRF and one is PF. I would feel confident taking any after DG.

So each to their own and enjoy what ever you chose to use.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 33 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 10186

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com