Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: About length of barrel

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Rifles

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
ovny
.375 member

Reged: 19/06/08
Loc: Spain
About length of barrel
      #249355 - 23/06/14 11:09 PM

Hello this is my new purchase a rifle in Santa Barbara 300 Winchester Magnum cartridge, which is 63 cm barrel and the question is with that barrel length performance advantage of this cartridge?

Thank you,

Ovny.

--------------------
I am Spanish

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
Re: About length of barrel [Re: ovny]
      #249357 - 23/06/14 11:17 PM

That barrel length will be fine with a 300 Win. mag...most barrels are 24" in that caliber here in the US...

Ripp

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

ovny
.375 member

Re: About length of barrel [Re: Ripp]
      #249364 - 24/06/14 12:51 AM

Ripp Hello, thank you very much've become those 63 centimeters to inches; and is 24.8 inches. Thank you very much, hopefully soon you can put a photo viewer and a place with some trophy even a doe. What matters is the act of hunting.

Ovny.

--------------------
I am Spanish

Ripp
.577 member

#249366 - 24/06/14 03:09 AM

Quote:

Ripp Hello, thank you very much've become those 63 centimeters to inches; and is 24.8 inches. Thank you very much, hopefully soon you can put a photo viewer and a place with some trophy even a doe. What matters is the act of hunting.

Ovny.

Yes, even though we are not on the metic system here, though I wish we were, I am fairly familiar with the conversions because of our close proximity to Canada which is on the metric system. Have spent a fair amount of time there...

You should enjoy that gun, that was the only caliber I used for about 12 years..great choice.

Ripp

--------------------

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
      #249374 - 24/06/14 05:33 AM

24.8" is VERY good - the longer the better in my book, to a limit of handiness, that is.

As to the advantage of a longer barrel, in most standard magnum ctgs. the ballistic improvement is usually between 35fps to 65fps per inch advantage.

I personally "like" 25" to 26" bls., especially on the belted magnums or any rounds that can benefit from the longer barrels.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

ovny
.375 member

Re: About length of barrel [Re: DarylS]
      #249375 - 24/06/14 05:40 AM

Thanks Ripp and Daryl, I stay calmer. I like my gun is able to make the most of the cartridge firing. It is an old rifle still want to know that the 300 Winchester Magnum will be able to deliver its full potential with the barrel that has the rifle. Elsewhere I read that theirs are minimum 26 inch guns and desirable 28 or 30 inches. I think hunting is not necessary as long guns perhaps to throw long distances (1000 yards) if you need it but not to hunt.

regards,

Ovny.

--------------------
I am Spanish

DarylS
.700 member

#249378 - 24/06/14 09:44 AM

Ovny don't worry about the barrel length. The normal .300 Magnum in North America, where the Winchester round was developed and firmly tested on all manner of game, is, as Ripp noted, 24".

--------------------
Daryl

Dumprat
.300 member

Reged: 20/02/14
Loc: Vancouver island bc.
      #249379 - 24/06/14 11:35 AM

So much of what is talked of barrel length is old news. Stabilizing the bullet, and optimized pressure and performance may not be achieved by adding barrel length.

I had a 338 win mag with a 21" barrel. It shot marvellously. The short barrel made it awefully loud but didn't adversely affect performance.

I prefer a barrel of 20-21 inches for hunting. Great in thick bush and in and out of vehicles and boats etc. the 24-26" was always in the way and hung up on something.

Dumprat
.300 member

Re: About length of barrel [Re: Dumprat]
      #249382 - 24/06/14 12:20 PM

Correct me if I am wrong but the old style long barrel was for early slow burning powder correct?

I remember reading an article where they cut a rifle barrel shorter and shorter and shoot it between cuts to watch muzzle velocity. Just don't remember where I read it....

Igorrock
.400 member

Reged: 01/03/07
Loc: Finland
      #249385 - 24/06/14 12:57 PM

I have noticed that when shooting factory loads many short barreled magnums give quite a big muzzle flash and I donīt like it. Other remarkable thing when talking about barrel lenght is balance. All of my 3 rifles have 65 cm barrel and their balance is good which makes them very handy to use.

--------------------
http://promaakari.wordpress.com/

eagle27
.400 member

Reged: 24/01/09
Loc: Nelson, New Zealand
      #249392 - 24/06/14 04:42 PM

Quote:

Correct me if I am wrong but the old style long barrel was for early slow burning powder correct?

I remember reading an article where they cut a rifle barrel shorter and shorter and shoot it between cuts to watch muzzle velocity. Just don't remember where I read it....

Jim Bell did it with a barrel on a 7mm-08 having been a long time user of the 7mm-308, the wildcat before Remington brought out the 7mm-08 as a factory cartridge. I recall Jim starting with a 29" barrel and cutting it back an 1" or so at a time. Even with the 7mm-08 using faster powders, the longer barrel lengths produced more velocity.

I personally feel that there is not much point in using a magnum cartridge unless you are going to wring out the best ballistics you can. Take the 7mm Remington Magnum, many decry the fact that they struggle to better a 7mm-06 or 280 Rem (the same cartridges really) or even better the 7mm-08 by much, and struggle to get to 3000fps with the 160gr bullet. Problem is that as a poster here has said, the Americans pretty well standardise on a 24" for everything. The magnums burn slow powder and a 26" barrel gives the best between handiness and a tube that will burn the slower powders giving top velocity.

I could easily get an honest 3000fps with a 160gr projectile from my 26" barreled Schultz and Larsen 7x61 (belted 7mm magnum)and the factory rounds with the same weight of bullet went close to their advertised 3100fps. I could get 2900fps out of my 24" barreled 7mm-08 but only with a 140gr and I can hit the 3000fps mark with my 6.5-06 in a 24" barrel but again only with a 140gr.
The 7x61 and its 26" tube ruled supreme with any combination.

For long range shooting at game where the magnums can shine, a 26" barrel is definitely an advantage. For those that say only a 24" is needed then why not go 22", 20" 18", there will always be someone who defends a shorter and shorter barrel and maybe for other reasons such as lightness, handiness in vehicles or the bush, but when it comes to velocity in any given barrel with the best powder for that cartridge, longer barrel length does count.

ovny
.375 member

Re: About length of barrel [Re: eagle27]
      #249410 - 24/06/14 08:24 PM

I guess the longer the better burnt gunpowder barrel, but my concern was whether to 24.8 inches could expect maximum performance 300 Winchester Magnum cartridge.

Ovny.

--------------------
I am Spanish

eagle27
.400 member

#249421 - 24/06/14 09:13 PM

Quote:

I guess the longer the better burnt gunpowder barrel, but my concern was whether to 24.8 inches could expect maximum performance 300 Winchester Magnum cartridge.

Ovny.

Ovny, the 300 Win Mag with a 25" barrel will give you close to maximum performance and may even be better performance than another rifle with a 26" barrel. Other things such as free bore, twist, and how smooth or polished the barrel is can make more difference than another cm or two.

A 26" barreled rifle still looks nice and in proportion and is still handy enough in bush or in vehicles, I know because I have used one for much of my hunting years. In any rifle and barrel combination, the longer the barrel the more performance you will get especially with the slower burning powders, you just have to choose what suits your hunting.

ovny
.375 member

#249423 - 24/06/14 10:10 PM

Hi Eagle, I really want the rifle for use in stalking mode, but is rare in Spain shoot higher than 350-400 meters (382-437 yards) so I think that with the distances barrel length has I have this rifle well enough to get the cartridge firing.

Ovny.

--------------------
I am Spanish

Ripp
.577 member

#249425 - 24/06/14 10:52 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Jim Bell did it with a barrel on a 7mm-08 having been a long time user of the 7mm-308, the wildcat before Remington brought out the 7mm-08 as a factory cartridge. I recall Jim starting with a 29" barrel and cutting it back an 1" or so at a time. Even with the 7mm-08 using faster powders, the longer barrel lengths produced more velocity.

I personally feel that there is not much point in using a magnum cartridge unless you are going to wring out the best ballistics you can. Take the 7mm Remington Magnum, many decry the fact that they struggle to better a 7mm-06 or 280 Rem (the same cartridges really) or even better the 7mm-08 by much, and struggle to get to 3000fps with the 160gr bullet. Problem is that as a poster here has said, the Americans pretty well standardise on a 24" for everything. The magnums burn slow powder and a 26" barrel gives the best between handiness and a tube that will burn the slower powders giving top velocity.

I could easily get an honest 3000fps with a 160gr projectile from my 26" barreled Schultz and Larsen 7x61 (belted 7mm magnum)and the factory rounds with the same weight of bullet went close to their advertised 3100fps. I could get 2900fps out of my 24" barreled 7mm-08 but only with a 140gr and I can hit the 3000fps mark with my 6.5-06 in a 24" barrel but again only with a 140gr.
The 7x61 and its 26" tube ruled supreme with any combination.

For long range shooting at game where the magnums can shine, a 26" barrel is definitely an advantage. For those that say only a 24" is needed then why not go 22", 20" 18", there will always be someone who defends a shorter and shorter barrel and maybe for other reasons such as lightness, handiness in vehicles or the bush, but when it comes to velocity in any given barrel with the best powder for that cartridge, longer barrel length does count.

Remember reading in a mag once when the 7STW first come out..they tested it by also cutting the barrel back 1" at a time starting with I believe a 30" barrel..at that time they stated the ideal length would have been around 28"..but in my opinion, that it too long to be stalking the mtns with..I personally like a 26" as you stated on magnums...and 24 or even shorter on non-mag. stalking rifles..have a 416 Rem with a 22" for closer work in Africa..its a heavier contour and really handles well..

Ripp

--------------------

DarylS
.700 member

#249433 - 25/06/14 01:14 AM

As to barrel lengths, I've no trouble hunting or moving through the bush with any of my rifles - the longest of which has a 42" bl.
It is the best "holding" rifle I have for offhand shooting.

I preferred the shorter barreled guns when guiding - ie: 22" in both .458 and 9.3X62, however my favourite hunting rifles have longer barrels.

--------------------
Daryl

Dumprat
.300 member

#249456 - 25/06/14 10:11 AM

42" that would be one long bolt action!

Perhaps Daryl could you explain to these fellows why you used the short barrels when guiding?

eagle27
.400 member

#249471 - 25/06/14 05:21 PM

Quote:

Hi Eagle, I really want the rifle for use in stalking mode, but is rare in Spain shoot higher than 350-400 meters (382-437 yards) so I think that with the distances barrel length has I have this rifle well enough to get the cartridge firing.

Ovny.

Ovny, your 300WM will serve you well. It will be important to develop a good accurate load for your rifle. For deer and chamois a good 165gr bullet seems to be very popular in this cartridge.

ovny
.375 member

#249482 - 25/06/14 07:44 PM

True, for such parts are good tips but 165 grains to hunt wild boar beset by dogs and dirty mount Spanish hunters often opt for the tips of 180 grains. The hunted animal flees with all senses alert and the adrenaline pumping and is more resistant to the impacts of the tips so more forcefulness needed, although in Spain the boar misses sizes and weights in Central Europe; for example where it is not uncommon to find 200 kg boars and some exceed these weights.

Ovny.

--------------------
I am Spanish

DarylS
.700 member

#249515 - 26/06/14 01:52 AM

Quote:

42" that would be one long bolt action!

Perhaps Daryl could you explain to these fellows why you used the short barrels when guiding?

The 42" was on my flinter. Subtract 8" and that would be about equivalent for a bolt gun - ie: bolt gun with 34" bl. would be same length as my flinter with a 42" bl. Long, yes - too long, for a modern rifle - yes - HA!. Hawkeye didn't have any trouble with a 42" bl. and neither did I, even though I wasn't raised by Mohicans.

At the ranges I needed to shoot while guiding, I did not need the real or perceived advantage of a long barrel.

For hunting, I still prefer the 25" or 26" bls. on bolt guns. They please me.

--------------------
Daryl

Dumprat
.300 member

#249525 - 26/06/14 05:15 AM

Sorry Daryl I was just being a smart ass, I figured the 42 was on a muzzle loader.

I understand about longer barrels for long range shooting but too much is made of that fad in mags and online today. My point was merely that a short barrel will perform fine out to the ranges 99% people shoot at. It has more to do with knowing your rifle than all the bs about rifle performance . And the old adage still applies "if you can get closer get closer, if you can get steadier get steadier"

ovny
.375 member

What do you think about Nikon Prostaff. [Re: Dumprat]
      #250048 - 06/07/14 01:25 PM

As you know I bought a rifle 300 Winchester Magnum, and now want to put a visor that is not too expensive because I have to save again and I do not want to throw me a lifetime saving to tackle, but I have already save for hunting . I thought in the viewer of the renowned brand Nikon Prostaff model with a range of increases in 3-9x40 or 3-9x50. I just want to know what you think of this Nikon model viewer because I like the Monarch 3, but costs twice.

Thank you very much,

Ovny.

--------------------
I am Spanish

tinker
.416 member

Reged: 12/03/05
Loc: Nevada
Re: What do you think about Nikon Prostaff. [Re: ovny]
      #250059 - 06/07/14 06:02 PM

The most recent Nikon scope I've had my hands on was at a local shop.
It was the display model.
It literally fell apart in my hands.

I'd avoid the late-model Nikon scopes.

ovny
.375 member

Re: What do you think about Nikon Prostaff. [Re: tinker]
      #250060 - 06/07/14 06:17 PM

I also like the Bushnell Trophy in a range of aumetos same. I can not afford to spend more money than they cost these viewers. I would want a Swarosky, Khales and similar but ... is what I can buy, something good, nice and cheap.

Thank you,

Ovny.

--------------------
I am Spanish

Waidmannsheil
.400 member

Reged: 19/04/13
Loc: Melbourne Australia
Re: What do you think about Nikon Prostaff. [Re: ovny]
      #250063 - 06/07/14 07:36 PM

Apart from Aimpoint, all my scopes are Meopta Meostar with illuminated reticule. They are well made, have fantastic clarity and are priced at half or less than the other big name European optic makers. They have just brought out a new R2 range which is top of the line. My business partner bought their new 1-6 x 24 illuminated reticule and it is a beauty. The only problem is that here in Australia it is Winchester who are the importers and they are a bunch of lazy cretins, however they will get any scope in for you that they don't normally keep here in Australia. Waiting times are generally not to bad either. I was at a Steiner trade night recently and I asked one of the German guys from Steiner what he thought of Meopta and he said quite openly that they are without doubt one of the very best, they are just not as expensive as the others.

Waidmannsheil.

--------------------
There is nothing wrong with vegetarian food, so long as there is meat with it.

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 55 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 8127

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com