Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Open sight rifle shooting distances?

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Rifles

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)
Claydog
.375 member

Reged: 17/08/12
Loc: Katherine, Northern Territory ...
Re: Open sight rifle shooting distances? [Re: DarylS]
      #248154 - 30/05/14 08:42 AM

Daryl
200% in agreement.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
tinker
.416 member

Reged: 12/03/05
Loc: Nevada
      #248156 - 30/05/14 10:19 AM

Here we practice with the pistols to (at) 100yds.
Rifle practice with iron sights to 300yds.

Scoped pistol out to and past 300 yds, scoped rifles (with hunting emphasis) to and past 500yds - practical practice to and past 1000yds.

It's pretty big open country here. 100 yards is for all purposes very close, with little to no hunting opportunities inside 200 yards.

--------------------
--Self-Appointed Colonel, DRSS--

"It IS a dangerous game, and so named for a reason, and you can't play from the keyboard. " --Some Old Texan...

Claydog
.375 member

Re: Open sight rifle shooting distances? [Re: tinker]
      #248157 - 30/05/14 10:42 AM

I usually use my express sighted rifles when hunting because I enjoy hunting this way. I think can use them fairly well and agree there are many other factors besides distance that come into it. Light and the cover the animal is in can make a difference. When you look along the sites you know whether you should take the shot or not. Sometimes you either have to try and get closer or pass up. For me thats what hunting is all about.

Cazadero
.375 member

Reged: 17/10/11
Loc: Texas
Re: Open sight rifle shooting distances? [Re: Claydog]
      #248162 - 30/05/14 11:25 AM

I learned to shoot as a kid with a scope. That was what you did. You could shoot with open sites but obviously your accuracy was greatly improved with a scope.

Time goes on. Graduate College. Earn more money. Buy nicer things, including accessories for hunting like scopes.

But when I first went to Africa in 2006 and I stood next to a herd of buffalo as the sun was going down I realized (partly) what I had been missing.

When I got back to Texas I found myself hunting that fall with my model 94 with a ghost ring. I got within 20 yards of a wild hog before he ran off.

We took it further when I went back for Buffalo in 2008 and from then on I vowed no more herds, we only hunted dugga boys, but the point remains the same, IMHO, if you really want to experience hunting, then you've got to work to get close.

I succumbed to the reading glasses at around 46. At 48 (this year) I bought a pair of Costas [sun glasses] with readers built in because I can't see anything up close anymore, (like my phone) but at a distance fortunately, I'm fine.

As long as I can, I'll hunt with open sites. When I can't do that, I'll stop.

Till then, the see-through site on my double remains my favorite. I like the ghost ring too, but I'm having a custom see-through "V" made for my Ruger No. 1.

To each his own.

Good Hunting all.

bonanza
.400 member

Reged: 17/05/04
Loc: South Carolina
      #248166 - 30/05/14 11:41 AM

With my 2006 vintage Merkel .375 H&H double rifle I could shoot a skeet clay with both bbls at 100 yards off hand. I can't do that with any other rifle.

My only guess is the heavy bbls damped out the shake.

--------------------

"Speak Precisely" G. Gordon Liddy.

"Life is absurd, chaotic and we must define its purpose with our actions" Abert Camus

"I''m the dude playing a dude disguised as another dude."

"Yo! Mr. White"

Claydog
.375 member

Re: Open sight rifle shooting distances? [Re: Cazadero]
      #248169 - 30/05/14 11:53 AM

Cazadero
You are a true poet.

Chasseur
.375 member

Reged: 18/11/03
Loc: Hunting classic Indian game!
      #248177 - 30/05/14 02:00 PM

Similar to most people I grew up shooting with a scope, except for a Savage O/U combo gun I had with terrible buckhorn sights.

Last year when I finally got my express rifle, I thought, "Well damn it, I've got to learn how to get good with irons if I want to use this gun." So I pulled the scope off my 22 mag that is my practice/plinking gun and dedicated time to learning to use irons. I found that if you practice a good deal with a 22 (or whatever your small bore plinker is), you can quickly get good with a big bore with open sights. I'm good out to 100-40 yards with my 500bpe. Unfortunately my range has now stopped shooting beyond 100 yards so I've not been able to practice beyond that point.

I shot this chital doe last year at 140 or so. Going to try for stags this year.

--------------------
In regards to action he should devote himself to hunting...
-Machiavelli

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: Open sight rifle shooting distances? [Re: xausa]
      #248179 - 30/05/14 02:11 PM

Quote:

With a hunting rifle, shooting to the point of aim is of course essential.

True.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: Open sight rifle shooting distances? [Re: NitroX]
      #248180 - 30/05/14 02:14 PM

Hi People,

Great idea of Chasseur's, please also post photos of iron or open sight hunting and photos of different sorts of sights. Thanks.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Claydog
.375 member

#248184 - 30/05/14 02:30 PM

The most ambitious open sights I have, on a 303 Lee Speed

Nick_Adams
.300 member

Reged: 20/12/03
Loc: USA
      #248205 - 30/05/14 11:20 PM

Growing up, I started out with a .22 single shot that had an aperture, but also shot some of the old Remington "Teeners" (510s, 514s) with the buckhorn rear sight.

I still have a couple of centerfire hunting rifles that wear irons only, like my Granddad's 30-40 Krag.

It's got Lyman matching front & rear sights, and will never wear a scope.

Except for load development with a low-powered scope, I prefer shooting my .404Jeff with its express sights. The standing leaf on the rear sight has a bright-white vertical line that contrasts very sharply with a red fiber optic front bead - like "doting an 'i'".

Lasik surgery in 2006 more or less gave me back the eyesight I had in my 20s in college. No more trying to see game thru sweated-up coke-bottles when hunting - whether with irons or a scope.

The 404's express sights are zero-ed to POA at 50yds and are "on" at 100yds, which is about the farthest I'd want to shoot it. It's not intended for quick shots on running coyotes.

Edited by Nick_Adams (30/05/14 11:26 PM)

xausa
.400 member

Reged: 07/03/07
Loc: Tennessee, USA
      #248210 - 31/05/14 12:12 AM

You can just barely see my Lyman 48 next to the bolt handle on my .505. Kenya, 1971.

Chasseur
.375 member

Reged: 18/11/03
Loc: Hunting classic Indian game!
      #249869 - 03/07/14 04:02 AM

I thought this would be an excellent thread to post some scans from some old 19th century shooting and hunting books I have that discuss express sights and how to use them.

August Grimble's "Deer-Stalking" (1886), single best 19th century how to book on deer stalking. If you really want to see how 19th century hunters used their express/BPE rifles this is a great book. I know Africa gets all the attention, but the bulk of those 450 and 500 bpe double rifles were for stalking red stag in Scotland (and Indian game), not antelope in Africa.

I'll note my own Alex Henry rifle (1871) shoots just like the way he shows with the "Thick Sight".

From the living legend of 19th century shooting authors, Walsh "Stonehenge" and his classic tome, "Modern Sportsman's Gun and Rifle", (1882) a necessity in the library of double shooters in my view (better than Greener's book).

From the Philipps-Wolley's Badminton Library series on various sporting activities, from their volume on "Big Game Shooting II" (1894). This is from the chapter by H.W.H on "Notes on Rifles and Ammunition. Note, the Badminton library books are a wonderful intro to late 19th century British sporting activities.

--------------------
In regards to action he should devote himself to hunting...
-Machiavelli

Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
      #249872 - 03/07/14 06:04 AM

Quote:

The most ambitious open sights I have, on a 303 Lee Speed

I have a very similar sighting system on my .303..was the first center fire I owned..still have it to this day ..was quite accurate for what it was..literally shot dozens of whitetail through the years with it growing up...

Have also used scopes on all my dangerous games hunts..turned all the way down in the bush to 1.5 is not hard to aim with even at close distances..shot my last elephant at 16 yards..no problem. Have had several PH's tell me under most situations, would rather have clients use scopes versus not..1. most shoot better with a scope..2. most see better with a scope if you are trying to snake a shot into the kill zone without hitting a obstacle you might not see otherwise.

Have to say however, would love to use the open sighted double .470 for the buff/ele hunt I am planning...think that along with a scoped 375 H&H would be an ideal combo in a DG area..

Ripp

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: Open sight rifle shooting distances? [Re: Ripp]
      #249893 - 03/07/14 01:35 PM

100, 150 and 200yards.

This is why a brass bead, slanted at 45 degrees to catch any light.

Copy of an 1850 S. Hawken rear sight & the blade front sight to go with it.

Sharps Carbine, 1868 in .50/70

A master with a brand new, unfinished iron sighted rifle, shooting the Wyoming Plank shoot. Since building that rifle, I don't think Dan has let anyone else win. The open iron sights have the allowed "shaders" to increase the contrast, eliminating sun's glare on the steel.

Here's an old "Wood Cut" of the same type of match, just in case you were wondering about the authenticity of a Plank Shoot.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

gatsby
.375 member

Reged: 05/09/05
Loc: inland valley CA USA
      #249896 - 03/07/14 03:01 PM

Quote:

100, 150 and 200yards.

This is why a brass bead, slanted at 45 degrees to catch any light.

Copy of an 1850 S. Hawken rear sight & the blade front sight to go with it.

Sharps Carbine, 1868 in .50/70

A master with a brand new, unfinished iron sighted rifle, shooting the Wyoming Plank shoot. Since building that rifle, I don't think Dan has let anyone else win. The open iron sights have the allowed "shaders" to increase the contrast, eliminating sun's glare on the steel.

Here's an old "Wood Cut" of the same type of match, just in case you were wondering about the authenticity of a Plank Shoot.

Winner takes all.

--------------------
"Recoil is insignificant when there is a tiger on the head of your elephant" The Maharaja of Cooch Behar

Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
      #249903 - 03/07/14 10:11 PM

Thanks for that Daryl,

Good to see..

Ripp

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

hunter_angler
.300 member

Reged: 24/03/10
Loc: Grand Marais, Michigan (home i...
      #249908 - 04/07/14 12:36 AM

A lot of great input here. I think Daryl's simple point "a lot depends on where you hunt" is important. To that I would add a lot depends on how you hunt, and when.

A lot of this discussion necessarily centers around marksmanship rather than hunting. However, the older I get (and maybe the worse my vision gets LOL) the more up close and personal I like encounters with game to be. I realize this is very difficult when working on open plains. I generally hunt in deep woods so it's feasible (and more necessary). Successfully positioning myself close to animals in their natural environment is the challenge and goal. I have always respected bow hunters for their ability to do this, although I don't feel arrows are always the most humane killers. To me shooting an animal at 300 yards that has little chance of being aware of my presence just isn't the experience I want to have (although I fully respect that for others it may be). I think a lot of the dangerous game hunters on this board similarly pass on the chance to target from long range to get the challenge and thrill of stalking in as close as possible.

I hunt only with iron sights (usually a peep) on leverguns, single shots and muzzleloaders. Most of my shots are inside of 75 yards (a lot inside of 50). A shot over 100 yards in the timber I am unlikely to get, and over 150 across a field I would be hesitant to take offhand. Light conditions are another factor. Deer in particular are likely to be spotted around dawn or dusk, which can make a longer shot more iffy even in the open or if you are in a stand or blind in the trees where you really know your shooting lanes. I have actually considered going to a scope for just this reason, in the context of achieving a one shot humane kill. Weather (rain, snow, wind) is also a factor, even when in open country. And, of course even in wilderness I like to be aware of what is behind and beyond my target. When in doubt I pass on the shot.

I guess the bottom line for me is I seldom need or want to worry about longer ranges, but the terrain, the conditions, and your goals are all important factors, along with your marksmanship.

--------------------
old school rimmy

Schauckis
.300 member

Reged: 17/07/07
Loc: Finland
      #250196 - 08/07/14 11:12 PM

John's "C" type comes closest to the old Winchester 1895s I've hunted with.
I've taken moose up to approx. 70 metres, the biggest one I shot I measured to be @ 50 metres.
Typically, Finnish moose hunting is close quarters job so a scope can be a hindrance due to the limited field of view. In the thick woods the open sight is useful, indeed.

I can hit a 3" bull @ 150 metres on bench rest with my new Winchester. It has Recknagel sights whereby the V is ve-e-e-ry wide, it has a small dot at the bottom and the front sight is a small bead. Very accurate on the range but on game I always used the red dot sight, however.

If the game is moose size I'm easily comfortable up to 100 metres, maybe 150 (depending on whether I have support!).

As Marrakai said, it also depends a great deal on the type of the sight. Older rifles tend to have better open sights, as they were the norm and thus they had to be good. Today, they tend to be auxiliaries or meant for short distance driven hunt ("Battue" type sights).
I'd say that if the game is smaller than moose, the max is about 100 metres and for moose or bigger, up to 150 metres.
If the light is good and the user is familiar with the sights, then this can be upped.

I noticed that the red dot sight covers too much of a typical safari animal at 100 metres to be useful. It's close-quarters fast shooting sight for sure; despite being quite accurate in bench rest shooting.
This also applies to the open sights: if the front sight is a big bead or a wide post, it covers too much of the animal to be accurate. Smaller sights suit long distances and smaller game better.

- Lars/Finland

--------------------
A.k.a. Bwana One-Shot

Nick_Adams
.300 member

Reged: 20/12/03
Loc: USA
      #250209 - 09/07/14 05:44 AM

Thank you, Gatsby. Awesome post & photos.

Waidmannsheil
.400 member

Reged: 19/04/13
Loc: Melbourne Australia
Re: Open sight rifle shooting distances? [Re: Nick_Adams]
      #250210 - 09/07/14 06:51 AM

Hi Schauckis, I use an Aimpoint Hunter 30L for a lot of my hunting and find the red dot sight extremely good. It is supposed to be 2 MOA with a normal light setting, however if you turn the light intensity down, the MOA reduces and longer shots can easily be taken.

Waidmannsheil.

--------------------
There is nothing wrong with vegetarian food, so long as there is meat with it.

BWK375
.224 member

Reged: 13/07/14
Loc: U.S.A.
      #250615 - 18/07/14 07:19 AM

Since acquiring a 1903a3 I've come to like peep sights. I had a Winchester 444 lever gun with a 18" barrel that I installed XS ghost ring sights on and zeroed at 50 yards. Was quick to line up on whitetail and pigs. I would try to limit myself to 80-100 yards. Unfortunately that gun got stolen. Recently I picked up a NECG peep sight for a Ruger #1 but haven't had time to try it out.

CarlsenHighway
.300 member

Reged: 19/03/09
Loc: Port Chalmers, New Zealand
Re: Open sight rifle shooting distances? [Re: BWK375]
      #250897 - 23/07/14 01:18 AM

I hunt mostly red deer or fallow. It is often in thick bush. Sometimes in the open grassland type country. In the open country, then with open sights (or peep sights) its really not a big deal. 200 metres is as far as I have shot animals. I have not found these shots to be difficult at all. Have not needed to shoot further so far, but could probably go 250 metres, if I have a clear target, depends on the circumstances.

In the bush, at shorter ranges its actually a different story. The action is quicker, only a couple of steps and the deer is out of sight, and often the animals is half obscured by a bush, leaves, or a limb of a tree.
I used to use peep sighted rifles all the time, I have now gone to v rear sights with a bead foresight. I find it just as accurate. I have found that odd or inexplicable misses have dried up. Under pressure sometimes I am sure I was not centreing the bead properly. Despite what people say about it being automatic. But with a ghost ring, under pressure, I think I was actually ignoring the rear aperture completely sometimes, and probably unintended 'point' shooting. I think peep sights are good target sights. I am less convinced nowadays that they are the best iron rear sight for hunting.
I think there is a lot of rubbish talked about open and peep sights shooting.

One is about speed. The open sights or peep sight is much quicker than a scope. I know, I know, people are going to disagree with me and point to different tests done by various gun writers about how scopes are faster because of using the one focal plane and so forth....but they are wrong and I will tell you why.
If you put a scoped shooter up against an open sight shooter at a target. They will be the same, or the scoped shooter might well be a little bit quicker. This is target shooting where both shooters already know where the target is. It doesn't mean much. IF you have to aquire a new target each time - or if a single target is unexpected - the open sights guy will beat him.
Put them in a cluttered enviroment, with unexpected targets - never the same one over - at different ranges, and the open sights shooter will win every time, because if the shooter has to aquire a new target every time, the scope shooter will take more time finding each target in his tube. This is more like hunting, particularly hunting in bush, or 'thick or dark timber' as they say in the US.

I learned this shooting deer in thick bush at short ranges with scoped bolt actions, and with open sighted Winchester .30/30's.

The advantage of the scope, is precision in shot placement, because of the magnification of the target. This is offset though, particularly with offhand shooting, because of the wobbling of the sight, which causes shooters to snatch at the trigger. This is a distict definate thing, with open sights I am convinced people make a smoother trigger pull. Once again this relates to offhand shooting, which is my main stock in trade in bush hunting.
A real advantage of the scope is the ability to see 'through' the bush because of the single focal plane. This is important, a significant advantage.

Shoot through the bead. The point of impact should be in the centre of the bead. A six o'clock hold is for target shooting. When I sight rifles in I use a six o'clock hold - but I adjust the POI for the centre of the bead. Then when shooting on game it is instinctive to used the centre of the bead when under pressure, or I do, at least. Use a bead like a red dot sight. You shoot with both eyes open.

Springfield 1903 with wide open rear 'express 'sight and front bead - supposedly the most inaccurate type of open sight there is, or so we are told over and over again.
The three shots at right were at 50 metres, half an inch. The three shots at left were shot immediately after at 100 metres. Slightly over an inch. (White bull on black background is best for white or silver bead front sights. MAkes a big difference if your bead isn't bleeding into the white of the target paper...)

Fallow deer, open rear notch sight and front bead (Brno 600 in .270) 90 metre shot offhand.

Red stag, open buckhorn rear sight and front bead. (Winchester 94 .30/30) 85 metres shot offhand

You need to do a lot of dry firing and get used to the notion. It takes imagination to shoot well with open sights if you grew up with a scope. Dry firing a lot helps, I am convinced.

I prefer smaller beads - like those on the Brno 600 - 601 rifles, or about what the old Winchester .30/30 would have. I file them backwards on a 45 degree angle so they catch light from above.
Large beads such as a those put on some modern rifles apparently so they are better in low light - are useless. Dayglow, or firesights or coloured plastic beads are abominations.

I use iron sights a lot because they work for what I do, because the rifles are lighter and easier to carry and I have to travel long distances in rough country, and because I enjoy it, and because I know I am not really giving up much.
But if I was mostly shooting my deer in twilight from a stand, then I would have only scopes on my rifles.

--------------------
If you carry a cat home by the tail you will receive information valuable to you for the rest of your life.
Mark Twain

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: Open sight rifle shooting distances? [Re: CarlsenHighway]
      #250902 - 23/07/14 02:18 AM

CarlsenHighway - good post.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

gwh
.333 member

Reged: 28/01/08
Loc: Cairns Australia
      #250955 - 23/07/14 10:12 PM

Have owned and used plenty of rifles with open sights both through work and for hunting. Currently on my 470NE I'll happily take a shot on pig sized game out to around 80m with express sights. My longest shot with this outfit so far is around 100m. I also subscribe to the 9 inch kill zone accuracy theory and use cardboard box plates as my practice targets. I have recently acquired a 404 Jeffrey with open sights and will be carrying that on a fairly frequent basis chasing game. I've got plenty of scoped rifles but the challenge/ fun factor isn't there when walking them up on foot.

--------------------
Hunt hard, shoot straight

"I speak of Africa and golden joys; the joy of wandering through lonely lands; the joy of hunting the mighty and terrible lords of the wilderness, the cunning, the wary and the grim"

Theodore Roosevelt, Khartoum, 1910

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 26 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 17552

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com