Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: 26 Nosler---per Craig Boddington..

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Rifles

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Rule303
.416 member

Reged: 05/07/09
Loc: Woodford Qld
Re: 26 Nosler---per Craig Boddington.. [Re: Ripp]
      #251701 - 07/08/14 06:05 PM

I was thinking of necking the 26N up to 358 and puting it in a Rem M17 but as brass will be a long time coming to Aust I have decided to make a 338/35RUM.

In 358 and 416 Nosler would make a nice paired set.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
Re: 26 Nosler---per Craig Boddington.. [Re: Rule303]
      #251723 - 07/08/14 11:19 PM

Quote:

I was thinking of necking the 26N up to 358 and puting it in a Rem M17 but as brass will be a long time coming to Aust I have decided to make a 338/35RUM.

In 358 and 416 Nosler would make a nice paired set.

Rumor has it Nosler has an entire line they may come out with using the NOSLER name..think the combo you mentioned would be a great addition..

Shot the 26Nosler last weekend..shoots really well, working on reloads using 130gr Swift Scirroco's...
Feel with the velocity generated, that bullet is a better choice than the Acccubond...

Ripp

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

Ripp
.577 member

#251946 - 11/08/14 11:23 PM

Shot another series this weekend along with some other calibers..

Feel felt recoil is substantially less than say a 300RUM ..more along the lines of a 7mm Rem. Mag..
factory loads are shooting about 3/4" MOA with 129Gr Accubonds at 3422average fps chrono'd..no indication of excessive pressure at that speed...

My personal opinion and experience is the accubonds will NOT stand up to that velocity on larger game--such as a elk or big fat old muley buck..

Going to push the Scirrocc's (130gr)a bit more ..and settle back down to a accurate load for elk, mule deer, antelope and bear..using Magnum powder--fed 215 primers..

Ripp

--------------------

Edited by Ripp (12/08/14 05:20 AM)

Ripp
.577 member

#254291 - 30/09/14 12:23 AM

For those interested, picked up a copy of HANDLOADER MAGAZINE last week that has a test on the 26NOSLER done by Barsness..his results were similar to mine thus far as to accuracy and velocity, however he was using Nosler bullets while I have been using the Swift Scirocco. I feel the accubond will NOT withstand those velocities at close range--"under 150 yards"...further out yes, from 300 and on once the bullet has slowed a bit..

I tried similar velocities at one point while in Africa out of my 300RUM..bad results on numerous animals ..and that was shooting 180AB's at 3370 fps....the 26Nosler I have is putting them out with my current loads at 3400 and above ...Magnum powder seems to be the powder of choice at this point..

Ripp

https://www.riflemagazine.com/magazine/PDF/hl292partial.pdf

--------------------

albertan
.333 member

Reged: 13/06/06
Loc: Alberta, Canada
      #257849 - 14/12/14 04:49 PM

I have no doubt that a 7 mm Remington Ultra Magnum sired this 6.5 newbie magnum. As for performance, I believe that the Indian is of more importance than the arrow. Terry Wieland reported that his Nosler rifle, firing Nosler factory ammunition, was a good 200 fps less than he had hoped for. It was still moving, just not as fast as it was hyped.

Powder technology will allow this cartridge to do what it should do in the hands of hand loaders. If not now, very soon. Someone will find that one of the newest slow burning numbers is the stuff for this cartridge.

It will never be a best seller and I think that is the point of this cartridge. It is something different. Something that sets the owner apart from the pack. This means fewer troglodytes to make a mess of things like what happened with the 7 STW, and the original .264 Winchester.

If anyone doubts what happened with these small bore numbers, just ask yourself what happens when you shoot a large bull elk with a thinly jacketed projectile, that is a bit short on sectional density, and moving at a breath taking velocity. Now do this again and again. Many of these gun owners were caught up in the notion that the higher the ballistic coefficient, the better the bullet. Cost being a consideration for many for these shooters, they chose the cheapest bullets that shot the flattest.

The best thing that Winchester did with the .264, was to neck it up to .338. Only because in the 1950's, at .338 Winchester velocities, there were really not a lot of terrible bullets. Bullet technology has improved immensely since the 1950's, I hope that shooters have caught up.

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: 26 Nosler---per Craig Boddington.. [Re: albertan]
      #257873 - 15/12/14 06:17 AM

Totally agreed.
Prem. bullets and the best, most accurate loads - have at her.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

Ripp
.577 member

#272944 - 10/11/15 01:35 AM

FYI--
Went out shooting a FIERCE FIREARMS rifle yesterday chambered in 26Nosler..carbon fiber barrel, titanium action, carbon fiber stock..topped with Swarovski Z5 3-18 Scope..A friend picked it up a few weeks ago and had me work up some loads..

I tried factory ammo while breaking in the barrel..shot about 1" groups..shot 140 Berger VLD Hunting..using Retumbo powder--one groups was 1/2" the other was not so great..went to using 129Gr Nolser Accubond Long Range..very good group at about 1/4" 3 shot group at 100 yards..velocity was about 3228fps

Read an article in a magazine some time ago about using US869 Powder..tried it behind 130 Swift Scirroco..loaded to about 3300+fps...again, very good group..3/8" at 100yards..3 shot..thinking once a guy settles down and makes the small adjustments, will certainly have a 1/4" shooting hunting rig..nice shooting rifle, was impressed with the machining on the gun..fit and finish is really good..

The speeds shown above are NOT pushing this very hard..I tried some similar loads last year for another friend and was getting 3400fps+ with 130's and 3275-3300 with the 140's...but going more for accuracy this time around

Ripp

--------------------

Edited by Ripp (10/11/15 02:55 AM)

Ripp
.577 member

Re: 26 Nosler---per Craig Boddington.. [Re: albertan]
      #273817 - 23/11/15 03:15 AM

Quote:

I have no doubt that a 7 mm Remington Ultra Magnum sired this 6.5 newbie magnum. As for performance, I believe that the Indian is of more importance than the arrow. Terry Wieland reported that his Nosler rifle, firing Nosler factory ammunition, was a good 200 fps less than he had hoped for. It was still moving, just not as fast as it was hyped.

Powder technology will allow this cartridge to do what it should do in the hands of hand loaders. If not now, very soon. Someone will find that one of the newest slow burning numbers is the stuff for this cartridge.

It will never be a best seller and I think that is the point of this cartridge. It is something different. Something that sets the owner apart from the pack. This means fewer troglodytes to make a mess of things like what happened with the 7 STW, and the original .264 Winchester.

If anyone doubts what happened with these small bore numbers, just ask yourself what happens when you shoot a large bull elk with a thinly jacketed projectile, that is a bit short on sectional density, and moving at a breath taking velocity. Now do this again and again. Many of these gun owners were caught up in the notion that the higher the ballistic coefficient, the better the bullet. Cost being a consideration for many for these shooters, they chose the cheapest bullets that shot the flattest.

The best thing that Winchester did with the .264, was to neck it up to .338. Only because in the 1950's, at .338 Winchester velocities, there were really not a lot of terrible bullets. Bullet technology has improved immensely since the 1950's, I hope that shooters have caught up.

I read a article recently by John Barsness who chronographed factory loads as well as his own loads..in his case he actually was getting the advertised velocity. There is also a really good article in this years Hodgdon reloading manual on it--lots of loads and good info..as I previously mentioned it seems US869 is the powder of choice however I am also getting really good results with Retumbo..and betting H1000 would also work very well

Agree with you thoughts on bullets...premium bullets only for the high velocity rounds..especially when you start taking on deer and elk sized game.

Saw Weatherby is also going to come out this year with their own verison of a 6.5 HOTROD..based on the 300 Weatherby case..for me, the immediate disadvantage this offers over the 26 Nosler round is the new Weatherby round will have a belt..where the 26Nosler is not..having said that I experimented with a 7/300 Weatherby round back before the RUM's came out..actually took it on my first trip to Alaska..had it on a Remington action/Hart barrel combo..incredible accurate, very flat shooting and not that reasonable in the recoil department. Had 150gr Swift Scirocco's cruising just shy of the 3500fps range--absolutely stoned everything I shot with it..which was 2 caribou and a wolf on that trip. Used it on elk and deer here in Montana as well..

Ripp

Ripp

--------------------

Edited by Ripp (23/11/15 03:21 AM)

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
      #273825 - 23/11/15 05:11 AM

The high velocity rifles are fun, I guess. When speeds of 3,500fps are spoken of, my mind switches to 25gr. bullets and field rats.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 29 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 12783

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com