Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Brownings Best Machine guns

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Rifles

Pages: 1
Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
Brownings Best Machine guns
      #239464 - 18/12/13 08:39 AM

http://www.gunsandammo.com/2013/12/16/br...ily+Newsletters

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
tophet1
.400 member

Reged: 15/09/07
Loc: NSW, Australia
Re: Brownings Best Machine guns [Re: Ripp]
      #239465 - 18/12/13 08:49 AM

We had the M1918 and M2 when I served as a regular soldier in the Royal Australian Armoured Corp.

I can remember when it came to range time, though we had to practise (and maintain) both designs, most soldiers lined up to fire the M2 and its 50 round belt. I much prefered the M1918 as it had a slower cyclic rate of fire, a belt of 250 rounds and was a much more 'civilised' weapon to have fun with.

The M2 was like banging a whore, the M1918 was an all-nighter with a lady.

500Nitro
.450 member

Reged: 06/01/03
Loc: Victoria, Australia
Re: Brownings Best Machine guns [Re: tophet1]
      #239467 - 18/12/13 09:03 AM

tophet

I have never heard that description before but it is apt !!!

gryphon
.450 member

Reged: 01/01/03
Loc: Sambar ground/Victoria/Austral...
Re: Brownings Best Machine guns [Re: 500Nitro]
      #239471 - 18/12/13 10:16 AM

my only live experience was to have been invited to an armoured reg day with live fire at Pucka as family was a Centurion driver.

Fully catered for day with food galore and with the tanks hammering up hill targets a mile away and then opening up on old cars with the incendiaries from the MG`s , actually shredding was more like it and it was a real eye opener to this bloke as a raw 18 year old watching as those twins hammered crackers.

--------------------
Get off the chair away from the desk and get out in the bush and enjoy life.

Homer
.416 member

Reged: 07/04/09
Loc: Canberra, Australia
Re: Brownings Best Machine guns [Re: gryphon]
      #239485 - 18/12/13 05:04 PM

G'Day Fella's,

Thanks for that link Ripp, that was a good watch!
Please don't forget one of my favorites, the original BAR in .30-06!!!

Merry Christmas
Homer

--------------------
"Beware the Lolly Pop of Mediocrity,
Lick it Once and You Will Suck Forever"

xausa
.400 member

Reged: 07/03/07
Loc: Tennessee, USA
Re: Brownings Best Machine guns [Re: Homer]
      #239515 - 19/12/13 07:01 AM

When I enlisted in the Marine Corps in 1959 we were still armed for the most part with M-1 rifles, BAR's and Browning air cooled machine guns. The air cooled Browning was John M.'s answer to the German 08/15 "light" machine gun and doing away with the water jacket and heavy tripod lightened the Browning considerably. However, it remained a converted water cooled gun, and had no capability of rapid barrel change. In fact, changing barrels with a Browning was a time consuming, frustrating task, involving setting headspace by a trial and error method. In that respect at least the M-60 machine gun was a big improvement.

On the other hand, the Browning, especially the big .50 caliber, was an ideal aircraft machine gun, where keeping the barrel cool was not a problem and flawless functioning was at a premium. Once the problem of belts getting kinked by drastic aerial maneuvers had been solved, the Brownings performed without a hitch. One carrier task force reported carrying out an entire mission without a single failure with the Browning guns.

When Browning first demonstrated the original water cooled gun to a congressional delegation, by linking belts together he was able to fire the gun continuously for over a half hour, without a single stoppage or broken part. In the course of firing 20,000 rounds were expended, but dissatisfied with the results, Browning proceded to fire an additional 20,000 rounds without a stoppage or breakage. In response to suspicions that the test had somehow been rigged, Browning used a second gun to fire continuously for 48 minutes and 12 seconds, at a rate of 600 rounds per minute. Presumably the committee's collective ears were ringing at the conclusion of the tests.

Homer
.416 member

Re: Brownings Best Machine guns [Re: xausa]
      #239539 - 19/12/13 04:59 PM

G'Day Fella's,

Xausa, Thank You for the insight into these firearms, much appreciated!
Also xausa, I hope I'm not putting you on the spot here but given your exposure to these Browning firearms (in particular I hope, the Browning M2-.50Cal), are you able to inform the other NE participants, of where the great saying "The Whole Nine Yards" came from?

Merry Christmas
Homer

--------------------

xausa
.400 member

Reged: 07/03/07
Loc: Tennessee, USA
Re: Brownings Best Machine guns [Re: Homer]
      #239545 - 19/12/13 10:02 PM

"The whole nine yards" is an expression I have often wondered about myself. The best explanation I could find occurred to me when I was engaged in a building project and discovered that a standard ready mix concrete truck in the US has a capacity of nine cubic yards of concrete. Thus, someone ordering a truck load of concrete delivered to his building site would be ordering "the whole nine yards," which would translate in other contexts to "the maximum amount available."

Other explanations can be found at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_whole_nine_yards.

One of the other explanations offered was that the length of the standard ammunition belt for the Browning .50 caliber aerial machine gun used in World War II was nine yards.

Homer
.416 member

#239548 - 19/12/13 10:35 PM

G'Day Fella's,

Xausa, as I understand it, your last explanation is the correct one.

From what I have been told, the machine gunners on the Boeing B17 "Flying Fortress" (among others), when asked how their mission went would reply, "I gave em, the whole nine yards!"

I reckon its an absolute cracker of a statement, that unfortunately, gets misused by so many these days!!!

Thank You xausa, for helping me out with that!
Very much appreciated!!!

Merry Christmas
Homer

--------------------

Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
      #239551 - 20/12/13 01:08 AM

Quote:

"The whole nine yards" is an expression I have often wondered about myself. The best explanation I could find occurred to me when I was engaged in a building project and discovered that a standard ready mix concrete truck in the US has a capacity of nine cubic yards of concrete. Thus, someone ordering a truck load of concrete delivered to his building site would be ordering "the whole nine yards," which would translate in other contexts to "the maximum amount available."

Other explanations can be found at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_whole_nine_yards.

One of the other explanations offered was that the length of the standard ammunition belt for the Browning .50 caliber aerial machine gun used in World War II was nine yards.

the internet is an amazing thing is it not??

I have a friend who is in our MMA class which is a bit weird as he is also a professor at the University here in town..he stated that soon the internet will talk to you while you are on it..typing will be a thing of the past..which is huge for someone like me..

Ripp

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 43 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3354

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com