Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Progress Report - 303.35 No1 Mk3 Lithgow

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Rifles

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
9.3x57
.450 member

Reged: 22/04/07
Loc: United States
Re: Progress Report - 303.35 No1 Mk3 Lithgow [Re: GK]
      #173151 - 15/12/10 08:31 AM

Quote:

Thanks for the info, I'll add it to the long list of things I need. My barrel diameter is .358". So you are saying that you can reduce the bullet diameter .003" at a time, so maybe .363, .360 and .358 dies?
George

With simple Lee sizing dies, yes. About .003 with a good lube works fine. I bet you could get away with two; .362 and .358 with two passes thru the .358. You might get some springback and that might leave the final diameter .359 if there is.

A die that runs .001 under final is a bit safer.

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: Progress Report - 303.35 No1 Mk3 Lithgow [Re: 9.3x57]
      #173192 - 16/12/10 04:04 AM

Ponsness Warren's "STOS" is a GREAT high pressure lube & works well for reducing bullets, as does Imperial Die wax. I haven't tried the Lee case sizing wax, but it should also work. Let the Lee stuff dry first. BTW- the Lee wax helps reduce barrel fouling with varmint ctgs. if your bullets are tumbled in it before loading - iof intersted, you can ask about this at saubier.com, Jim Saubier's small bore forum.

I also use the STOS for case lube as it wipes off easily, the cases between two layers - rolling between your palms for degreasing - 10 at a time. Fastest method of preparing cases there is. I use a pad for the application part, 10 to 20 at a time - easier and cheaper than the sprays, I believe.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

9.3x57
.450 member

Reged: 22/04/07
Loc: United States
Re: Progress Report - 303.35 No1 Mk3 Lithgow [Re: DarylS]
      #173194 - 16/12/10 04:56 AM

For bullet reduction/resizing;

I've tried the brown Liquid Alox from Lee and it didn't work for me on jacketed bullets. I've tried their white water-soluble "handcream"-type stuff, too, and that also didn't work well tho it is a great case lube. Also, Hornady SPRAY case lube doesn't work well.

I've never tried Daryl's STOS or Imperial but have them jotted down in case I can't get the stuff I use.

I use Hornady case lube, the stuff that comes in the tub. Bullets just hop thru the dies with that stuff. I wipe it on my fingers and then basically, merely handling the bullets as I run them into the die does it. Quick roll and twist of the bullet in the fingers is all that's needed.

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

Perry
.275 member

Reged: 09/11/10
Loc: Qld Australia
Re: Progress Report - 303.35 No1 Mk3 Lithgow [Re: Brithunter]
      #173237 - 16/12/10 11:35 PM

Evening folks. Called into Pine Rivers Gunshop this morning for a further progress report on how my 303.35 is going.

2 weeks ago they had not started it, today the rifle is sitting in a job tray, with everything done except the barrel and action blued. Drilled and tapped for the Recknagel Sights, scope mount, barrel docked to 22", crowned and most importantly chambered. Its all been fitted together and checked out fine and the synthetic stock's barrel channel opened out. They will not be blue it for a few more weeks yet as they have a couple more jobs that will be ready for the Blueing tank soon. So with luck I'll have shortly after Christmas.

Alan was telling me this morning that he run a file over the base of the Lee RGB dies and it did not touch it. He said he is not willing to run a reamer into the dies but instead will use either a masonry bit sharpened to a specific angle to assist with reaming the die or a Titanium drill bit. He told me the neck / throat of my chamber is .385 and the reamer was .380. From memory my Dummy rounds where .378 / .379. A chap who has a 303.35 and given me some advice and loads warned me the only issue he has with his rifle is that the mob in SA that chambered his rifle have the neck / throat quite oversize and his fired cases are .388 / .389 so he has to work his brass more than he likes to neck size.

Still no photo's, when the Rifles finished. I remembered the barrels No 5 profile much larger than it actually is which is somewhat of a relief as I do like a little heft in my Rifles for Off hand shooting but not full on muzzle heavy which is what my hazy memeory had imagined in the dimness of time.

I have been thinking about attempting to make my own Timber stock from Queensland Maple as a link to the Rifles past, perhaps join the local woodworking club etc so I have access to quaity tools. I would try to replicate a Lee Speed stock. In the mean while I will reshape and refinish the military stockset and see if I'm happy with this instead of the Synthetic stock as a stopgap.

A mate has stepped in and attempted to motivate my in next project - he gave me 50 rounds of loaded 45.70 ammo , 90 odd once fired cases, a red bullet lube and a hundred or so 500 gr cast projectiles. AAAAAGGGGGHHHHH - The paints not even dry on this one.

After less than 12 hours my memory is fading, should have written the details down at the time so if something does not ring true it's my lack of knowledge and my memory.

A chap from another forum thats lives about 100 miles from me has offered I spend some time with him and he'll teach me the ins and outs of bullet casting. He say's he has a .359 230 gr mould which sounds about right for this rifle. He also has offered me the use of some of his other moulds for my .357 mag and .44 mag Lever rifles.

There is so much to learn about these old skills and the rifles they are used around, I'm really enjoying the learning curve and the generous offers and skill sharing I've received by posting on this forum and others.

regards Jacko

--------------------
"To my deep mortification my father once said to me, 'You care for nothing but shooting, dogs and rat catching, and you will be a disgrace to yourself and all your family.' " -Charles Darwin

Edited by Perry (16/12/10 11:44 PM)

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: Progress Report - 303.35 No1 Mk3 Lithgow [Re: Perry]
      #173247 - 17/12/10 04:25 AM

Jacko - I am delighted the chap from the other forum has offered to mentor you in casting & loading for this rifle.

I prefer not to have even .005" over loaded ammo diameter, but that is normal. Many factory guns are larger than this- even up to .008" to .010" over. WAYYYY too big - but that's a factory gun for you. Then, the dies squeeze it way smaller then need be, then the expander bullet opens it up - a LOT o brass working.

Search around and find the .303 brass with the thickest necks you can. Then, modify the die to a 'button' style sizer for the neck area, that merely neck sizes to the correct size - no expander used.

The die will have to be annealed for any work to be done to it - they are TOO hard as they come to you. It this sounds complicated, then perhaps you could mention it to your new friend - he might know I'm referring to.

Is the chamber the .35/303IMP or standard, merely necked up version?

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

Perry
.275 member

Reged: 09/11/10
Loc: Qld Australia
Re: Progress Report - 303.35 No1 Mk3 Lithgow [Re: DarylS]
      #173272 - 17/12/10 08:35 AM

Morning Daryl, this is the necked up version, not improved. The Highland brass has the thickest necks, why Winchester and Remington brass which is the only brass sold here has been made so thin is a mystery when I compare it to Military and the Highland brass, why redesign - probably costs cutting. I have somewhere between 40 and 50 once fired Highland cases and I've just about convinced my self it is worth the money to buy a few boxes of Ammo and shoot it off in my old Lithgow that I sold to a mate.

I have meet with varying opinions on neck clearence since I started this project. There seems little common ground, some say tight, target spec, others say it's a hunting rifle, thats too tight8 thou is fine. It seems I have middle ground with .385.

I will look into a ball expander but also have looked at Bushing Bump dies and similar products. http://www.forsterproducts.com/store.asp?pid=30223&catid=19938. I have not made any decisions re this. Will wait until I see what the Gunsmith comes up with the dies I've presented. He's a cluey bloke and won't BS me or do work that will let me down.

Since I started this project I have become aware of the 306 Confederate Sabre which uses shortened 30.06 dies, you run your .303 British case through this and you have the 30.06 neck and shoulder. Apparently you rechamber buy running a 30.06 reamer in short. Fireform from there for reduced taper which from what I've read still allows reliable feeding from the Lee Enfield magazine. The same principal can be applied to 25.06 and 35 Whelen. This option would give greater case capacity and longer case life from what little I know of Wildcat cartridge design. I'm happy with what I've commisioned as I've wanted this Rifle and Calibre for 20 odd years but the Confederate Sabre is intriguing option for another day.

regards Jacko

--------------------
"To my deep mortification my father once said to me, 'You care for nothing but shooting, dogs and rat catching, and you will be a disgrace to yourself and all your family.' " -Charles Darwin

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 30 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 19241

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com