Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: About 300 Weatherby Magnum

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Rifles

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)
ovny
.375 member

Reged: 19/06/08
Loc: Spain
About 300 Weatherby Magnum
      #163008 - 29/06/10 07:19 PM

To move a little non-profit forum and bother anyone, today asked for a cartridge loved by some and hated by others and I am referring to the 300 Weatherby Magnum What is the your opinion on the 300 Weatherby Magnum?

Thanks,

Oscar.

PS: I probably ask other English-speaking forums, not be angry. Thanks again.

--------------------
I am Spanish

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
poprivit
.333 member

Reged: 09/04/07
Loc: Las Vegas, NV
Re: About 300 Weatherby Magnum [Re: ovny]
      #163038 - 30/06/10 05:02 AM

Any of the .300 cartridges that are called "Magnum" are great on animals up to what - 500 lb? There are.30 caliber bullets commonly available from 110g to 220 g. The gun is a masterpiece of a work of art. Like most Weatherby calibers, the.300 does kick harder than most other .300s. Rifle finish is a bit off-putting for some

However, I've solved that. My .257 Weatherby Mk V Deluxe has a stock that almost glows in the dark. A quick call to Hogue a few days ago and I've got an Overmold black synthetic on its way. I'll let you know how it looks.

ovny
.375 member

Re: About 300 Weatherby Magnum [Re: poprivit]
      #163041 - 30/06/10 05:35 AM

The 257 Weatherby Magnum is an excellent size, ideal for stalking mountain, but I'm looking for something more in diameter and the only thing I want the rifle Weatherby Vandguard and that is not manufactured in 270 Weatherby Magnum, but the caliber I would choose 270 Weatherby Magnum.

Oscar.

--------------------
I am Spanish

Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
      #163044 - 30/06/10 06:33 AM

Quote:

Any of the .300 cartridges that are called "Magnum" are great on animals up to what - 500 lb?

I have taken animals as small as duiker and up to eland and hippo...with a .300 RUM in an HS Precision rifle..using 200gr A-Frames..

Would not be afraid to hunt anything on the planet with it with the exception of elephant..and I am sure it would work just fine on them as well if it were legal...

Just read recently in a magazine the .300 magnums has actually grown in popularity in the last 10 years

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

Homer
.416 member

Reged: 07/04/09
Loc: Canberra, Australia
Re: About 300 Weatherby Magnum [Re: Ripp]
      #163073 - 30/06/10 05:56 PM

G'Day Fella's,

OVNY, the .300 Magnums, are all powerful, flat shooting cartridges!
The only down side (apart from Recoil) is that I have seen more Broken wooden stocks, scope bases, scope rings, scopes etc on .300 Mags, than all other calibers combined!!!

Because of this, when I have been given the job of setting up any hard recoiling firearm (especially .300's), there are a series of things that I do that should resolve any future problems arising.
So far, so good!

Further to the potent capacity of a .300 Win Mag in the right hands, a customer of mine, lets call him "Fred" booked some kind of self guided (or partially ?) hunt to Africa to shoot various plains game and a couple of Cape Buffalo. The PH was horrified when Fred told him, the only rifle he had with him was his .300!
Now Fred is a bloody good Rifle shot and of course the plains game were biting the dust Left, Right and Center!
Fred then went on to shoot two Cape Buff, both one shot each on running game!!!

From what I remember, he was using 180 grain Barnes X bullets and because this was maybe 10 years ago now, they would have been an earlier version, of the X bullet.

So don't try to tell Fred he was under gunned, as he has a wall full of critters to prove HE was capable of doing a very good job of it, with his .300 Magnum!

Hope this helps.

HooRoo
From
Hommer

--------------------
"Beware the Lolly Pop of Mediocrity,
Lick it Once and You Will Suck Forever"

ovny
.375 member

Re: About 300 Weatherby Magnum [Re: Homer]
      #163189 - 02/07/10 02:48 AM

Thank you Hommer.

Oscar.

--------------------
I am Spanish

szihn
.400 member

Reged: 24/06/07
Loc: Wind River Valley, Wyoming
      #163200 - 02/07/10 07:09 AM

Let me make something clear.
Cartridges don't kill. Bullets do!
As a former CEO of a bullet company (Cast Performance Company in Riverton Wyoming) I am well qualified to speak on this subject.
So what is the point?
Any cartridge can be very effective if the bullet it's loaded with is up to the task Any cartridge is not going to be very impressive if the bullet it's loaded with is not suitable for the animal it hits.
The 300 Weatherby mag is excellent if you don't use bullets with jackets that are too thin for it's impact velocity.
Slower cartridges are easier to load for and usually a lot less expensive to load for, but if correct bullets are used, the 300 Mags are very good.

Edited by szihn (02/07/10 07:09 AM)

poprivit
.333 member

Reged: 09/04/07
Loc: Las Vegas, NV
Re: About 300 Weatherby Magnum [Re: szihn]
      #163204 - 02/07/10 08:49 AM

Szihn, seeing as how you're the bullet maven, what's your opinion on using .257 magnum 100-gr. Hornady Interbond spitzers on animals up to and including Kudu?

If the sun is bright, the air is clean, and I hold my mouth right, I can hit the right spot, so accuracy isn't a problem. I'm just curious if you think very high velocity and proper bullets (Barnes X included) will do the job on large mammals. I'm going to use the .257 on a leopard in August, and am kicking around the idea of leaving my Ruger .416 at home.

Most of my hunting has been with large boomers, so this .257 is a totally new experience.

Mike_Bailey
.400 member

Reged: 26/02/07
Loc: GB
      #163205 - 02/07/10 09:23 AM

won't a .30-06 do the same with right bullet out to 250 yds ? (as far as I would shoot anything) rgds, Mike

iqbal
resigned as a member

Reged: 05/02/03
Loc: Karachi,Pakistan
      #163256 - 03/07/10 02:47 AM

The 300 wby mag. is an excellent cartridge.I used it on all plains game animals including eland and had no problems.The recoil was not that bad and accuracy was very good.

Ripp
.577 member

#163257 - 03/07/10 02:58 AM

Quote:

Szihn, seeing as how you're the bullet maven, what's your opinion on using .257 magnum 100-gr. Hornady Interbond spitzers on animals up to and including Kudu?

If the sun is bright, the air is clean, and I hold my mouth right, I can hit the right spot, so accuracy isn't a problem. I'm just curious if you think very high velocity and proper bullets (Barnes X included) will do the job on large mammals. I'm going to use the .257 on a leopard in August, and am kicking around the idea of leaving my Ruger .416 at home.

Most of my hunting has been with large boomers, so this .257 is a totally new experience.

POPRIVIT

I have used the .257 Weatherby for quite a few years using that exact combo---100gr Barnes XXX in a custom built rifle..shooting the bullet anywhere depending on which powder I amusing from 3650 to 3725 fps..it has totally flatten every head of game I shot with it..and the barnes have held up very well..i have only ever recovered one bullet--bullet retained over 90% of hit weight...

As to leopard though..IMHO, is not he caliber I would use..as this will certainly kill past dead, lots of other factors come into play when looking at him in you scope..nerves, lighting, excitement, etc...I would use a larger caliber..plus in many countries you have to use a .375 or larger on dangerous game to be legal..

Ripp

--------------------

CptCurlAdministrator
.450 member

Reged: 01/05/04
Loc: Fincastle, Botetourt County, V...
      #163265 - 03/07/10 06:02 AM

I am a big fan of the .300 Magnums. I've never owned a Weatherby Mag., but I've had loads of .300 Win. Mag. rifles and love them. The recoil is insignificant.

I am also a fan of the .300 WSM. It's a great cartridge and ballistically equivalent to the .300 H&H. I have a M70 Winchester stainless synthetic topped with a Leu. 2.5-10 VarX III with holdover dots to 500 yards. It's good at that distance.

Curl

P.S. I have a lot of once-fired .300 Win. Mag. brass available.

--------------------
RoscoeStephenson.com

YOUR DOUBLE RIFLE IS YOUR BEST FRIEND.

Rolf
.333 member

Reged: 26/02/07
Loc: Germany, Bavaria
Re: About 300 Weatherby Magnum [Re: CptCurl]
      #163416 - 05/07/10 09:27 PM

Hello Onvy,

I own a Sauer Weatherby in 300 Weatherby, manufactured around 1970.
It is (due to the 1:12" twist) a precise rifle with 150grs and 165grs bullets.
The Rifle has a 6power Zeiss , reticle 4 and I can place three shots in ca. 3" at 200 meters.
The recoil is ugly, so I think the rifle could shoot better if the owner could...

My only hunting experience was a young fox for lasered 160 meters.
He was nervous and tried to escape after he smelled me.
I managed to position a 150grs Weatherby SP bullet in his right ham, aimed diagonally for the left front leg.
After I recoverd from the recoil, I did not see anything fleeing or lying in the ankle-high grass.
I was really astonished thinking where the fox might have gone!
After the waiting period I walked to the area where I calculated the animal should be, then I realized that this was a very flat fox, because his belly skin tore open and his intestines were spilled completely.

So I like the caliber and the rifle, but I restrict myself now to shooting the 150/165 Partitions, because I do not dare to use conventional softpoints for game.

best regards
Rolf

szihn
.400 member

Re: About 300 Weatherby Magnum [Re: Rolf]
      #163445 - 06/07/10 05:48 AM

Well Ovny, I can't say I have a qualified opinion on that bullet because back in the 1986-1999 years, (when i was doing this stuff every day) it didn't exist.
However I can say that if a 100 grain bullet holds together it will kill moose. I know because i know 5 men that have done it with 9 moose. However, such light bullets will not penetrate very well after hitting a LARGE bone. They will hold together (like the Barnes X ) just because the bone slows them done a lot. If you can shoot well, and if you are willing to turn down "iffy" shots, the bullet you talk about will work in all likelihood.

If it were me however, I would want something larger. Unless there is some reason you need to use the 257, I'd recommend a larger bullet, also of a good tuff construction.

If you go to most slaughter houses you'll find that 1300-1700 pound cattle are often killed with a 22 Long rifle. However there is no more "controlled shot" then in a slaughter house. Just because you CAN kill an animal with a small gun or bullet doesn't mean it's the right choice for such hunting. Several men have proven that African elephant can be killed with 22 long rifles. That only proves it can be done, but it didn't prove it's a good elephant round.

In all hunting the bottom line is that it's 98% the man and 2% what he's using. if you are man enough to turn down any shot that you don't KNOW is going to kill well and quickly, and if you can shoot well, then use the 257 or anything else you like.

If I were faced with the same opportunity, I'd take my 270 winchester loaded with Nosler 160 grain bullets, or Barnes 150 grain bullets, or a 30-06 with any good 180-or 200 grain hunting bullet.

In every case, I'd take a rifle and ammo that was good for the biggest animal on the list, and shoot smaller animals with it too.
That's why I have the belief that my 375H&H is still the best "all around" rifle i have ever owned, and I have owned a LOT of rifles.
If I knew that there was no possibility of buff on the list, and the kudu was the big one on that list, I'd probably go for my 270 over every other rifle I have.

Ripp
.577 member

Re: About 300 Weatherby Magnum [Re: Rolf]
      #163447 - 06/07/10 05:54 AM

Just read in SPORTSAFIELD--Cartridge corner page 36--july/august edition--the .300 magnums have accounted for more North American Trophies than any other caliber per info compiled from Boone and Crockett for entries taken from 2007-2009. -- 18% were taken by .300 magnum (there was NO distinction between .300 Winchester, Weathby., RUM, or .300 WSM)-- 16% were taken with Bow..12% by the .270-- with the .30-06 and 7mm Mag tied with 11% each. Also per the article, the .300 magnum was the top caliber used by hunters who took record-book pronghorn, wild sheep, mule deer, elk., moose and caribou.. among mtn. goat hunters, th .300 tied with the .270.

Ripp

--------------------

Paul
.400 member

Reged: 28/08/07
Loc: Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
      #163507 - 06/07/10 09:42 PM

I tried a Remington in 300 Weatherby once. It had a plastic stock and, despite the high velocity, I thought the recoil very mild. If they all have 12" twists, I'd be surprised if they shoot 220-grainers with much accuracy, though.

Using a 257 Weatherby Mag for kudu and leopard reminds me of Elmer Keith's analogy of driving a railroad spike with a tack hammer: you might be able to do it, but does it make sense?

JabaliHunter
.400 member

Reged: 16/05/07
Loc: England
Re: About 300 Weatherby Magnum [Re: Paul]
      #163516 - 07/07/10 12:49 AM

I think it would be the dog's whatsits for leopard from a blind, but not my cup of tea for kudu...

ovny
.375 member

Re: About 300 Weatherby Magnum [Re: JabaliHunter]
      #163553 - 07/07/10 06:56 AM

I am determined and finally buy a Weatherby Vanguard in 300 Weatherby Magnum, also in Spain, the importer has an offer that gives the rifle mounts and the viewer (the stack but at least to launch the weapon).

Thanks to all,

Oscar.

--------------------
I am Spanish

ovny
.375 member

#163554 - 07/07/10 06:59 AM

By the way I would greatly appreciate it if any of you articles on the Weatherby Vanguard Synthetic and the 300 Weatherby Magnum in computer files that can send me the command them to this email account:

oscar.vicaria@hotmail.com

Thank you very much for all,

Oscar.

--------------------
I am Spanish

JabaliHunter
.400 member

Reged: 16/05/07
Loc: England
      #163716 - 09/07/10 07:58 AM

You could also think about a used Ruger No 1 (or action) and re-barrel to .300 weatherby

ovny
.375 member

#163928 - 13/07/10 07:45 AM

A further consultation on this caliber and the rifle that shoots it. I have consulted Weatherby's website and noticed that the Weatherby Vanguard rifle has a twist rate for this cartridge of 1:10, and my question is, what bullet weight is more appropriate to pass such streak ?

Thanks,

Oscar.

--------------------
I am Spanish

ovny
.375 member

#163929 - 13/07/10 07:46 AM

Quote:

You could also think about a used Ruger No 1 (or action) and re-barrel to .300 weatherby

Hello, the Ruger No. 1 rifle I've always liked, but goes out of my budget. Thank you very much for your suggestion.

Oscar.

--------------------
I am Spanish

Yochanan
.375 member

Reged: 26/01/03
Loc: Volksdiktatur Schweden
      #163930 - 13/07/10 08:35 AM

Quote:

A further consultation on this caliber and the rifle that shoots it. I have consulted Weatherby's website and noticed that the Weatherby Vanguard rifle has a twist rate for this cartridge of 1:10, and my question is, what bullet weight is more appropriate to pass such streak ?

Thanks,

Oscar.

165 to 220 grain bullets.

--------------------
© "I have never been able to appreciate 'shock' as applied to killing big game. It seems to me that you cannot kill an elephant weighing six tons by ´shock´unless you advocate the use of a field gun." - W.D.M. Bell: Wanderings of an Elephant Hunter.

Grenadier
.375 member

Reged: 20/02/08
Loc: North of the Columbia, USA
      #163935 - 13/07/10 09:50 AM

Oscar,

My favorite .30 caliber cartridge is the 300H&H but I think the .300 Weatherby is a great round. For about six months I had a .300 Weatherby that had been made in Germany. The cartridge was fine but I didn't like the rifle. I thought the Mark-V action was just too big and heavy for the .300. To make things worse, the stock had a lot of useless wood that would have been better trimmed off. I don't like the Weatherby style.

To me there is a noticable difference in recoil between the Weatherby and the H&H or Winchester 300s. But the Weatherby recoil is not severe and is nothing to worry about.

The Vanguard is a nice sized platform for that cartridge, though it might be a little light for a lot of target shooting. If you want to try some mild loads all you have to do is shoot 300H&H in the 300 Weatherby. I have heard mixed reports on the reloadability of H&H cases shot in the Weatherby.

The most common loads in factory ammo use 180gr bullets. There must be a reason for that.

--------------------
~

szihn
.400 member

Re: About 300 Weatherby Magnum [Re: Yochanan]
      #163936 - 13/07/10 09:51 AM

Yes I agree. 165 to 220.
Bullet construction is FAR more important then bullet weight.

If you go as light as 165 please do yourself the service of using a Barnes or Swift bullet, or perhaps one of the bonded core bullets available these days. Standard construction of 165 gr 30 cal bullets is NOT up to the task with the 300 Weatherby.
But a 300 Weatherby with a good 165gr bullet is an outstanding long range arm. Good to any range you are capable of making hits.
(It's still 98% the hunter and 2% what he uses in all cases)

There are a lot of good 180s to choose from. The 200 and 220s are great killers on big animals.

I am a believer in exit wounds all the time. I have been a hunter and a guide for many many years, and I reject the idea that a bullet should stay in the animal. I want an exit every time.

With that said, and throwing my personal "bent" into the mix, I'd go for a Nosler, Swift or Barnes bullet in the 200-220 grain range if i were doing what you are going to do.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 59 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 17788

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com