Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Remington Acquires Dakota Arms

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Rifles

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
Yochanan
.375 member

Reged: 26/01/03
Loc: Volksdiktatur Schweden
Remington Acquires Dakota Arms
      #136992 - 09/06/09 02:25 AM

Remington® Acquires Dakota Arms

Madison, NC – Remington Arms Company, Inc. through its fully owned subsidiary DA Acquisitions LLC has entered into a purchase agreement to acquire certain assets of Dakota Arms, LLC including the Dakota, Miller Arms, Dan Walter and Nesika Bay Precision brands. The transaction closed on June 5, 2009.

Established in 1982 and headquartered in Sturgis, South Dakota, Dakota Arms is the leading manufacturer of custom and semi-custom rifles for the sporting markets. The Dakota product lines are universally recognized for outstanding quality, design, accuracy and aesthetic appeal. The Dakota brands include Nesika, Miller Arms and Dan Walter. Nesika Bay Precision actions and rifles renowned for their exceptional accuracy; Miller Arms is known for the reliability and performance of its single-shot actions and custom rifles; and Dan Walter Cases are regarded as the premier travel and display cases for shotguns and rifles. Dakota Arms is strongly anchored in the Black Hills of South Dakota and currently employs 35 people.
"I am pleased to announce that Dakota Arms is joining Remington and the Freedom Group of companies,” stated Ted Torbeck, CEO Remington Arms Company, Inc. and Freedom Group Inc. “Dakota Arms is an icon within the industry and its fine products exemplify quality, craftsmanship and attention to detail. Dakota is the perfect compliment to our industry leading family of brands. We look forward to continue to develop and expand the Dakota brand and thank all its employees for their continued dedication and success of Dakota Arms.”

http://www.remington.com/library/press/2009/corporate/2009-2.asp
http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2009/06/09/dakota-arms-acquired-by-remington/

--------------------
© "I have never been able to appreciate 'shock' as applied to killing big game. It seems to me that you cannot kill an elephant weighing six tons by ´shock´unless you advocate the use of a field gun." - W.D.M. Bell: Wanderings of an Elephant Hunter.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Der_Jaeger
.375 member

Reged: 09/10/08
Loc: SE Pennsylvania
Re: Remington Acquires Dakota Arms [Re: Yochanan]
      #136997 - 09/06/09 03:52 AM

What a shame. This is certainly not good for the quality of Dakota Arms, I suspect. Whenever a low volume, specialty shop gets purchased by a high volume, mass production shop, quality will suffer as they look for ways to leverage technology, increase efficiency, raise profits, and streamline resources. Will the model 76 fade away? Will the round action model 97 be made with Remington actions? We'll see.

--------------------

Edited by Der_Jaeger (09/06/09 04:20 AM)

SharpsNitro
.375 member

Reged: 12/08/08
Loc: Arizona, USA
Re: Remington Acquires Dakota Arms [Re: Yochanan]
      #137002 - 09/06/09 07:38 AM

So the rumor was true. I had heard word that they were presently shut down, the rumors ranged from another bankruptcy to the Remington acquisition. We will have to see what happens. I'm glad I picked up a Model 10 action earlier this year to salt away for a future project.

Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
Re: Remington Acquires Dakota Arms [Re: Der_Jaeger]
      #137009 - 09/06/09 12:13 PM

Quote:

What a shame. This is certainly not good for the quality of Dakota Arms, I suspect. Whenever a low volume, specialty shop gets purchased by a high volume, mass production shop, quality will suffer as they look for ways to leverage technology, increase efficiency, raise profits, and streamline resources. Will the model 76 fade away? Will the round action model 97 be made with Remington actions? We'll see.

From what I have read recently along with visiting with some who have purchased Dakota's lately, think their quality has already suffered a bit unfotunately...

Ripp

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

crkennedy1
.375 member

Reged: 05/12/08
Loc: Utah
Re: Remington Acquires Dakota Arms [Re: Ripp]
      #137012 - 09/06/09 02:51 PM

Don't dis too much on Remington - they have made owning firearms an affordable hobby for many of us, including two of my double rifles.

--------------------
DOUBLE or NOTHING

500Nitro
.450 member

Reged: 06/01/03
Loc: Victoria, Australia
Re: Remington Acquires Dakota Arms [Re: crkennedy1]
      #137014 - 09/06/09 02:53 PM

crkennedy

IMHO, BS.

They had nothing to do with making owning firearms affordable.

Why are they priced higher than other firearms ?

Baikal did all the work on the Doubles, Remington just stuck it's nose in the trough between them and the consumer.

Weatherby, Howa et all have much more affordable firearms
than remington which made Remington drop down a level in
price to compete.

crkennedy1
.375 member

Reged: 05/12/08
Loc: Utah
Re: Remington Acquires Dakota Arms [Re: 500Nitro]
      #137015 - 09/06/09 03:32 PM

I'll bet you 90% of the guys on this forum own a Remington - you probably have a couple hidden in your closet (a closet Remington owner?)... hmmmm, time to come out of the closet 500Nitro. On the other hand, all Weatherby is, is an elitist odd-ball caliber shop from California... I'd never own one.

--------------------
DOUBLE or NOTHING

500Nitro
.450 member

#137016 - 09/06/09 03:53 PM

Yes, I own a Remmy, an old one in .222.

Weatherby's - or at least the Vanguard's - are made in Japan by Howa.

I don;t think much of the quality of Remmies ATM. They shoot but don't seem that well finished.

Der_Jaeger
.375 member

#137024 - 09/06/09 08:58 PM

[quote

From what I have read recently along with visiting with some who have purchased Dakota's lately, think their quality has already suffered a bit unfotunately...

Ripp

I think you're right, Ripp. I agree. Remington can make some pretty good products (like my 700 XCR in .338 Win Mag w/a McMillan stock!) and my only concern is that mass production techniques and ideas will result in Dakota slipping further away from the quality they exhibited 5+ years ago. I spoke with Caprivi about this last night and he had an intersting thought in that Dakota may have been purchased in order to bear the burden of corporate debt and then be sold off.

--------------------

Der_Jaeger
.375 member

#137027 - 09/06/09 09:03 PM

Quote:

On the other hand, all Weatherby is, is an elitist odd-ball caliber shop from California... I'd never own one.

Uh, oh....please, not too quick on the opinions That most certainly isn't true. No sense in bashing by taking that angle. We can all name elitist oddball cartridges from small makers because just about everyone on this forum has a closet full of them! There are some I would own and many more I would never own. The point is that it's usually not a good portent of things to come for a custom gunmaker to be purchased by a corporate giant.

--------------------

Edited by Der_Jaeger (09/06/09 09:47 PM)

Ripp
.577 member

#137036 - 09/06/09 11:14 PM

Quote:

Yes, I own a Remmy, an old one in .222.

Weatherby's - or at least the Vanguard's - are made in Japan by Howa.

I don;t think much of the quality of Remmies ATM. They shoot but don't seem that well finished.

Agree, think their quality that was once there disappeared about 10 years ago...some newer models actually seemed a bit better this past year..I probably own 20 plus Remingtons...but, can tell they were in financial straits for a while based on what they are putting out...

Hope they don't ruin Dakota...at one time, Dakota's were a pretty good firearm, IMHO....

Ripp

--------------------

9.3x57
.450 member

Reged: 22/04/07
Loc: United States
Re: Remington Acquires Dakota Arms [Re: Der_Jaeger]
      #137037 - 09/06/09 11:16 PM

Quote:

Quote:

On the other hand, all Weatherby is, is an elitist odd-ball caliber shop from California... I'd never own one.

Uh, oh....please, not too quick on the opinions That most certainly isn't true. No sense in bashing by taking that angle. We can all name elitist oddball cartridges from small makers because just about everyone on this forum has a closet full of them! There are some I would own and many more I would never own. The point is that it's usually not a good portent of things to come for a custom gunmaker to be purchased by a corporate giant.

I think 500N was joking.

There are no more elitist oddball cartridges than the two-barrel Brit stuff to-be-sure.

I do not own a single Remington of any breed or species.

As for Dakota, maybe the financial angle is correct, or maybe Remington sees a future in building a rifle with a "Win-70"-type action to compete with the Fabrique Confederate Winchesters?

As good as Remingtons are, they are and always have been bashed by many members of the Dangerous Game Club. Maybe Remington wants their own DG line...?

Of course, IMO they had one, the Model 30. They should drag out their old tooling from the company museum and dust it off and get cracking. I owned a very nice 30 in .30-06 a few years ago and in a decidedly un-sober moment sold it. GREAT action, great design, great safety, the works, a great rifle. A new CNC-built "30" would be an affordable peach!!

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

SharpsNitro
.375 member

Re: Remington Acquires Dakota Arms [Re: 9.3x57]
      #137047 - 10/06/09 01:16 AM

Quote:

I think 500N was joking.

There are no more elitist oddball cartridges than the two-barrel Brit stuff to-be-sure.

As for Dakota, maybe the financial angle is correct, or maybe Remington sees a future in building a rifle with a "Win-70"-type action to compete with the Fabrique Confederate Winchesters?

As good as Remingtons are, they are and always have been bashed by many members of the Dangerous Game Club. Maybe Remington wants their own DG line...?

Of course, IMO they had one, the Model 30. They should drag out their old tooling from the company museum and dust it off and get cracking. I owned a very nice 30 in .30-06 a few years ago and in a decidedly un-sober moment sold it. GREAT action, great design, great safety, the works, a great rifle. A new CNC-built "30" would be an affordable peach!!

Didn't Remington already try this recently with the Mausers they were selling? Anyway, from my understanding Dakota isn't healthy enough for them to saddle them with debt and flip them.

9.3x57
.450 member

Re: Remington Acquires Dakota Arms [Re: SharpsNitro]
      #137048 - 10/06/09 01:36 AM

Quote:

Quote:

I think 500N was joking.

Didn't Remington already try this recently with the Mausers they were selling? Anyway, from my understanding Dakota isn't healthy enough for them to saddle them with debt and flip them.

I have nothing against the 700 action, but the treatment Remington gave the 98's was hilariously pathetic.

I mean, they gave them no respect as an action, and saddled them with chunks of plywood {stocks?} best used for boiler fuel.

True enough, they were 98's, and if given half a chance could be built into very nice classic sporters, but Remington never gave them that half-chance.

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

500Nitro
.450 member

#137050 - 10/06/09 02:08 AM

I wasn't joking in what I said.

I just totally disagreed with with was written about Remington making guns affordable.

And as to quality, I've taken a few apart in the last year
and the quality really is lacking in some parts. I was dissapointed.

However I will say that it seems to be getting better.

9.3x57
.450 member

#137065 - 10/06/09 09:17 AM

Well that's the last time I speak for 'nother!

--------------------

500Nitro
.450 member

#137066 - 10/06/09 09:19 AM

Quote:

Well that's the last time I speak or 'nother!

LMAO

Caprivi
.375 member

Reged: 30/09/08
Loc: America's Serengeti, Buffalo W...
      #137080 - 10/06/09 02:02 PM

Indeed Der Jeager and I spoke of this sad situation. It is not exactly correct in what the media is originally stated. Remington didn't buy anything. Remington is broke. There parent company, Cerbrus, has bought Dakota. I live down the street (in western terms) from Dakota and have a few contacts/friends in the business. Rumor has it that they bought it for 1.5million in cash and assume all debt. Perfect for a killing.

Cerebrus Capital owns soley or partially;
Chrysler Corp.
GMAC
United Rentals
Talecris Pharm.
NewPage
BlueLinx
NetCo Foods
National Car
Alamo Car
BlueBird Bus
Remington
Bushmaster
DPMS
Marlin
H&R 1871
....................blah, blah, blah BLAH..............

Any of those company names sound like ones that have been in the news lately, maybe having some finacial trouble, real or imagined ?????

Back to the rumor mill, Bruce Engel is a major participant in the company. He was at one time a Timber Tycoon from the rainy Horthwest and bought a little struggling company called Kimber of Oregon. He bought it for pennies and assumed the debt......sound similar.........then amassed a very large chuck of corp. debt on the Kimber name, then flushed them in Bankruptcy court. Happens all the time.

As for Remington's, there is not one in my home, nor will there be. I have more than a few Weatherby's thou.

--------------------
To live life as it is handed to me from God

Ripp
.577 member

#137094 - 10/06/09 10:57 PM

Quote:

Quote:

(quote)...As for Remington's, there is not one in my home, nor will there be. I have more than a few Weatherby's thou.
+++++++++++++

IMHO, their (Remington) latest attempt with the mauser style action was/is a POS..sights are laughable and overall workmanship sucks..actions feel like they were pulled 10 miles down a gravel road..

As to the other statement, personally feel the same about weatherby's as you apparenlty do about remingtons..when weatherby's lightweight versions come out a few years back I tried 4 NEW out of the box rifles in .257..not one would shoot consistantly under 2" at 100 yards and a couple was much greater than that..withe their factory ammo...tried one more in a .280 --same thing...

Love the .257 Weatherby caliber...but as to quality, think they are no different than a new Howa of today..

Ripp

--------------------

9.3x57
.450 member

#137097 - 10/06/09 11:16 PM

I do not own any Remingtons. Their style doesn't really appeal to me. For that matter, I do not own any Weatherby's.

Having said that, I really do not understand the constant banging away at Remington that goes on {with Weatherby attackers nipping at the heals of the Anti-Remmy crowd for a close second place}. Personal appeal aside, I know lots of people that own Remington 700's and to a man they find them extremely accurate and have little problem with them.

Sure, Remingtons have warts. So does every other sporting arm.

I am fully aware of the problems Remingtons have and have been criticised for and have seen some of those problems close up. I am also aware of the problems exhibited by every single other manufacturer of sporting firearms as well!

Not relating to a Remington, but I remember the fun I used to have when the Jap Browning levergun series came out and I had a bunch of them in stock. I also had an original Winchester 71 or two in the place. When some fellow came in the shop trashing the Jap Brownings I'd open the action of a Browning 71, ditto the Winchester original and lay them both on the counter and ask the fellow to please examine each one closely. My experiences at the range matched the quality of internals, which was to say that the Jap made the Winny look really bad.

We sold alot of Jap Brownings by allowing the masses to peek inside of an "original"!

--------------------

Ripp
.577 member

#137100 - 11/06/09 12:24 AM

Quote:

I do not own any Remingtons. Their style doesn't really appeal to me. For that matter, I do not own any Weatherby's.

Having said that, I really do not understand the constant banging away at Remington that goes on {with Weatherby attackers nipping at the heals of the Anti-Remmy crowd for a close second place}. Personal appeal aside, I know lots of people that own Remington 700's and to a man they find them extremely accurate and have little problem with them.

We sold alot of Jap Brownings by allowing the masses to peek inside of an "original"!

Not really sure either, but honestly, I am old enough right now, don't really care either..I know what has and has not worked for me for the past 40 plus years of shooting...

Remington's quality, IMHO, as I stated above, has really sucked...but as 500Nitro stated, think it picked up a notch or two last year...picked up a 5R in .223 that is shooting 1/4" groups with several loads I have tried...but also as mentioned., they are no longer "cheap" in my opinion for what you get..you can almost get a much better Cooper or similar for not that much more...which is the way I personally have gone...or just taking actions and having my own built with custom barrels of one sort or another...

Ripp

--------------------

SharpsNitro
.375 member

#137101 - 11/06/09 12:42 AM

Quote:

IMHO, their (Remington) latest attempt with the mauser style action was/is a POS..sights are laughable and overall workmanship sucks..actions feel like they were pulled 10 miles down a gravel road..

Ripp

I guess I left my comment too vague but you filled it out pretty well. I don't think I would expect to see this acquisition turn out well but who knows? We will know for sure when people start advertising used Dakotas as "Pre-Remington". The real question is how soon the "Read instruction manual before using" statement shows up on Dakotas.

500Nitro
.450 member

#137107 - 11/06/09 02:16 AM

FYI, I'm not saying that they (Remington's) don't shoot - they do and I know a lot are sold.

The problem is with the build quality. A couple of guns I took apart had rust in the magazine well - spring etc. These were brand new guns straight out of the box.

The stocks on some of the current Remington's are crap.

And the price paid for them hasn't come down (that much) but the quality has.

Tikka T3 is a very good, value for money rifle.

500Boswell
.400 member

Reged: 21/07/06
Loc: Queensland
      #137130 - 11/06/09 09:18 AM

I would hardly call Weatherbys an ''Elitist'' rifle[try a new Purdy or other English gun] ,i own three and there is nothing elite about me
,havent even got a weeks wage in the bank at the moment ,Dakota will exist for a couple of years ,then they will CAN them .Later Obumhead will be offering to buy out Gun manufacturers with ridiculous amounts of taxpayers money [an amount too tempting to refuse]in order to eliminate guns from America

bwananelson
.400 member

Reged: 08/10/07
Loc: DELTONA FLORIDA
Re: Remington Acquires Dakota Arms [Re: 500Boswell]
      #137134 - 11/06/09 11:00 AM

so there are millions of guns out there already,do you need another gun.no,you may want another one.but if the big boys close little mom and pop shops will pop up everywhere.we are a country who loves guns and short of another bloody civil war we will always have them.will you give up yours hell no.and remington has beeen a good gun for most of us for awhile.i bet you only fly fish to.i cant buy anymore guns for now my safe wont shut.and i cant sell the ones i want to sell so i can buy more.so remington is a plain jane working mans walmart gun so what it has put many deer,fowl and predator to sleep just fine.its usually not the gun that cant shoot its the jerk behind the trigger.i doubt if there is one american shoooter who has not used at least one remington product

--------------------
THERE ARE NO DO OVERS IN LIFE DONT LET A CHANCE AT A DREAM SLIP AWAY.

9.3x57
.450 member

Re: Remington Acquires Dakota Arms [Re: 500Boswell]
      #137136 - 11/06/09 11:07 AM

Quote:

Later Obumhead will be offering to buy out Gun manufacturers with ridiculous amounts of taxpayers money [an amount too tempting to refuse]in order to eliminate guns from America

I actually think this could occur.

Sporting firearms manufacturers are relatively small companies for the most part, and wouldn't be too much of a burden on the taxpayers to buy out and liquidate for the benefit of the nation.

This last sentence is an attempt to dive into the cesspool of Barney Frank's and Chris Dodd's minds, a literary masterpiece of brevity and clarity {if I do say so myself} that any Democrat Party Committeeman should copy and paste and save for a future fundraiser.

--------------------

Ripp
.577 member

#137148 - 11/06/09 01:05 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Later Obumhead will be offering to buy out Gun manufacturers with ridiculous amounts of taxpayers money [an amount too tempting to refuse]in order to eliminate guns from America

I actually think this could occur.

Sporting firearms manufacturers are relatively small companies for the most part, and wouldn't be too much of a burden on the taxpayers to buy out and liquidate for the benefit of the nation.

This last sentence is an attempt to dive into the cesspool of Barney Frank's and Chris Dodd's minds, a literary masterpiece of brevity and clarity {if I do say so myself} that any Democrat Party Committeeman should copy and paste and save for a future fundraiser.

Based on how Barry was given the clear go ahead for the screw job on the preferred bond holders in the Chrysler deal..there is nothing the POS won't try to go for..and until this country pulls its head out of its ass and wakes up..it will continue..period. Barry is steam rolling right over the constitution and no one really seems to care...amazing...

Next you will have the ACLU who are nothing more than a bunch of left wing extremists, continue to attempt to push their ultra-liberal bullshit..how these treasonist bastards have the power they do I will never know...one of the best things that could ever happen is if they where put out of business, IMO..

Ripp

--------------------

Homer
.416 member

Reged: 07/04/09
Loc: Canberra, Australia
      #137159 - 11/06/09 06:38 PM

G'Day Fella's,

Just to the Remington 798 (M98) type rifles of 2008 production.

Apparently these rifle were manufactured for Remington by Zastava (Mk10) in Serbia I think or Croatia (some part of what used to be, Yugoslavia), or where ever the factory is.

They have always been functional but a bit rough around the edges. Made for a price, a cheap price!

HooRoo
From
Hommer

--------------------
"Beware the Lolly Pop of Mediocrity,
Lick it Once and You Will Suck Forever"

Peterb
.333 member

Reged: 07/07/04
Re: Remington Acquires Dakota Arms [Re: Homer]
      #138601 - 07/07/09 02:12 PM

The Mk10 was much higher quality than the Rem or Chas Daly 98s which are pieces of sheeot. Not that the 700 has been much better. In 7 months, I had 7 700 bolts simply fall out of the action when I was putting them together and opening them for new owners at our big box store. Worse yet were 6 overpressure RUM calibers which with factory ammo shot too hot to even eject. Remington would never fess up to what was wrong, they just replaced the entire gun. I own a 788 in 222 but will never own a 700.

I own and like Weatherby's but was an expert witness against them when they used a horribly grained piece of wood in the wrist with the wrist pin hole drilled but sans pin. It also had a splitting mall designed into the triggerguard/floorplate. The gun came apart at the wrist and gave the owner brain damage. Now I open them all up if I buy one and check to see if the pin is installed.

I was hoping the Japs would be the ones making the Model 70. I would have bought one, but not now.

Ripp
.577 member

Re: Remington Acquires Dakota Arms [Re: Peterb]
      #138633 - 08/07/09 04:23 AM

Quote:

I was hoping the Japs would be the ones making the Model 70. I would have bought one, but not now.

that would have been great--then you would have had a matching set with your earlier model weatherby's..

Ripp

--------------------

Peterb
.333 member

Reged: 07/07/04
      #138643 - 08/07/09 10:19 AM

My early model W'bys are Southgate and German.

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 42 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 10664

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com