Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: 460WM

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Rifles

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
grandveneur
.400 member

Reged: 21/09/08
Loc: France / Germany
460WM
      #130793 - 30/03/09 12:44 AM

In France we like the 460WM and we dont have problem's to shot it! What is your opinion about this cartridge?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Birdhunter50
.375 member

Reged: 03/06/07
Loc: Iowa,U.S.A.
Re: 460WM [Re: grandveneur]
      #130798 - 30/03/09 01:00 AM

grandveneur,
I feel that it is more gun than most people need or can handle well. What sort of game would you use it on? I have a friend who has guided people from the lower 48 states up in Alaska for BIG game, and he tells me that many guys showed up with a gun that kicked like a mule and scared them to death. He claimed that when it came time to shoot, very few of them could shoot the gun they brought with them well at all. Bob H.

peter
removed

Reged: 11/04/07
Loc: denmark
Re: 460WM [Re: Birdhunter50]
      #130802 - 30/03/09 01:06 AM

unnessary speed, unnessary noice, unnessary recoil.

well i find the cartg. unnessary.

to each his own, better your face than mine

best

peter

grandveneur
.400 member

Re: 460WM [Re: Birdhunter50]
      #130808 - 30/03/09 01:16 AM

We use this cartridge only in Africa and without problem's! I hunt one time each year in French West Africa and i meet a lot of hunters who shot this cartridge on buffalo's!

grandveneur
.400 member

Re: 460WM [Re: peter]
      #130809 - 30/03/09 01:20 AM

That is your opinion! The 460WM is a good cartridge of .458 caliber, easy to reload and to shot on big game!

xausa
.400 member

Reged: 07/03/07
Loc: Tennessee, USA
      #130813 - 30/03/09 01:39 AM

Experience has shown that a 480-510 grain bullet in .458-.475 caliber achieves ideal penetration at velocities of around 2150 fps (655 mps). The only advantage of cartridges such as the .460 WM is that they have that much residual velocity at over 100 yards distance. However, shooting dangerous game at longer distances is not recommended because (1) the chances of wounding the animal, rather than killing outright are greatly increased ("Get as close as you can, and then get ten feet closer") and (2) the vicious recoil generated by the cartridge makes precise aiming, even by the most hardened shooter, difficult, thus negating any advantage realized by a flatter trajectory. In other words, the shooter is punishing himself unnecessarily for no realizable gain.

From a personal standpoint, I have found that increasing the diameter of the bullet, while retaining the velocity in the 2150 range, is more effective against thick skinned game, for which the .460 was evidently designed. A 570 grain .510 bullet at 2150 or a 750 grain .577 bullet at 2050 fps. (625 mps) may not have the putative energy value of the .460, but it is far less likely to expend the energy uselessly by shooting completely through the animal. In addition, excessive penetration adds the problem of unintentional wounding another animal standing on the far side of the animal intentionally shot at, especially in the case of broadside shots.

The .460 Weatherby Magnum, in my opinion, is simply the Weatherby postulation that greater velocity is always better reduced to absurdity.

peter
removed

#130814 - 30/03/09 01:43 AM

Quote:

That is your opinion! The 460WM is a good cartridge of .458 caliber, easy to reload and to shot on big game!

opinion's is all anybody can offer, some are more valid than other's but they are all just oppinion's.

best

peter

grandveneur
.400 member

Re: 460WM [Re: xausa]
      #130817 - 30/03/09 01:48 AM

That's right! I use it only for buffalo hunting! For elefant i prefere the 500 Jeffery or 577NE!

grandveneur
.400 member

#130818 - 30/03/09 01:49 AM

I respect your opinion! The problem is, i like this cartridge!

WyoJoe
.300 member

Reged: 18/02/04
Loc: Cheyenne, WY USA
      #130900 - 30/03/09 05:19 PM

I think loaded to around 2400 fps it is a dynamite round. You would be getting good velocity & with that sized case the pressure would be relatively light.

I have got to stop reading these threads. I have a P-17 action (made by Winchester) that I haven't done anything with yet. I confess I like this cartridge also & it is tempting to send the P-17 off to a good gunsmith and say "DO IT".

--------------------
There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor polite, nor popular -- but one must ask, "Is it right?"

Martin Luther King, Jr.

grandveneur
.400 member

Re: 460WM [Re: WyoJoe]
      #130905 - 30/03/09 06:47 PM

Quote:

I think loaded to around 2400 fps it is a dynamite round. You would be getting good velocity & with that sized case the pressure would be relatively light.

I have got to stop reading these threads. I have a P-17 action (made by Winchester) that I haven't done anything with yet. I confess I like this cartridge also & it is tempting to send the P-17 off to a good gunsmith and say "DO IT".

I do that because i had big problem's with factory loads i very hot countries!

peter
removed

#130906 - 30/03/09 06:50 PM

but guys

then it is just a 416 rigby with a unnessary belt

peter

rigbymauser
.400 member

Reged: 15/05/05
Loc: Denmark
      #130908 - 30/03/09 07:17 PM

The .460 Weatherby??

What can one shot with that caliber, that couldn`t be done with a more sensible caliber...??
The weatherbys are ok rifles up to .270cal, but are right down lousy stocked/fitted from .300cal+..
The only sensible caliber weartherby ever offered for really biggame was the .375 WBY...anything from there on is obsession...

Edited by rigbymauser (30/03/09 07:18 PM)

thorshammer
.300 member

Reged: 27/12/08
Loc: USA
Re: 460WM [Re: rigbymauser]
      #130909 - 30/03/09 07:59 PM

the ability to push a 550 grainer faster then the lott but then again so can the 450 rigby just a question of personal preference

Der_Jaeger
.375 member

Reged: 09/10/08
Loc: SE Pennsylvania
Re: 460WM [Re: thorshammer]
      #130919 - 30/03/09 10:27 PM

The .460 Weatherby is a wonderful cartridge and devastatingly effective. If imitation is the sincerest for of flattery, then consider the venerable .460 flattered!! I've owned one for many years and always enjoyed shooting the rifle. I've mentioned before that my favorite targets were 16 pound bowling balls at 100 yards with a 500 grain solid! People who don't like it are scared of it or have never shot one..or both! There are much bigger and heavier recoiling rifles out there than the .460, as we all know. It certainly cannot be said by anyone that a velocity of 2700 fps is too fast as just about any non-magnum caliber out there beats that pretty handily.

I, too, really like this cartridge, as do many people. I have a couple great articles written specifically about the .460, if you're interested.

--------------------

Edited by Der_Jaeger (30/03/09 10:55 PM)

peter
removed

Re: 460WM [Re: Der_Jaeger]
      #130922 - 30/03/09 11:00 PM

Quote:

People who dodn't like it are scared of it or have never shot one.....or both!

and my daddy(insert whatever you will) is bigger than your's

jerry PLEASE!

Der_Jaeger
.375 member

Reged: 09/10/08
Loc: SE Pennsylvania
      #130923 - 30/03/09 11:31 PM

[quote

jerry PLEASE!

Yes, Peter?

Mr. Grandveneur, here's a great letter I have in archive in answer to a gent who posed the same question as you regarding the .460. Take it for what it's worth as one man's opinion to another. I wouldn't pass this along if I didn't have the same experience as is described here.

Interesting reading, nonetheless!

Now, Mr. Derekwest, when I read your origional post, I detected two things (1) you wish to hunt elephant, (2) you are concerned about recoil issues. Let me tell you a true story that I believe will help you out.

When I was in my early 20's, I bought a Weatherby Mark V Deluxe in .460 Weatherby. It weighed 10+ pounds and at the time the rating of the projectile was a 500 grain bullet at 2700 fps. I had looked at the figures on paper, and heard all the horror stories about it's vicious recoil.

I drove my car out to a field by myself to where an old house had burned down leaving only an old thick brick chimney, which I used for a target. I had left a note in the car in case I was found unconscious or my mortal remains were found stating who my next of kin was. I seized the rifle with a tight "death grip" as tight as I could possibly hold it. I pushed it tightly against my shoulder hard as I could. I leaned forward. At the moment of truth, I grimmaced and grit my teeth, then jerked the trigger -------

There was a noise and my shoulder rolled back. And, it was over. NO PAIN! Just the sensation of like a big hand pushing my shoulder back. I was expecting something like being whacked in the shoulder by Barry Bond's bat, but no, -- a large painless pushing motion.

Then it was as if a light came on in my head with a message -- Roy Weatherby did not build a successful firearms manufacturing company, by producing unshootable rifles! Roy Weatherby, and now his son, produce rifles that mortal man or mortal woman CAN shoot!

I then shot another round, relaxed this time. No problem, just that big pushing sensation. Nothing to fear!

Since then, I have let many people shoot that rifle. This number includes 2 women, and one guy from New York City who had never discharged a firearm in his life. He didn't know he was supposed to be afraid of it, so he very successfully discharged the .460 Weatherby as the very first firearm he ever shot. I always gave the people who shot it, the bass from the round they had discharged as a souvenier of their accomplishment.

What I am saying is, if you already own a .416 -- go with all confidence, Mr. Derekwest.

But, if you are really considering Elephant or large pacaderms like hippo, PLEASE, go shoot a .460 Weatherby in this model. Shoot a Mark V Deluxe with a weight of 10 pounds and a muzzle break. You will be pleasantly surprised! I am no superman, if something hurts, I will 'hollar! But this rilfe doesn't hurt.

Now -- if you shoot any other rifle chambered in .460 Weatherby, all bets are off. I don't work for anyone in the firearms industry and have no interest in this other than telling you something you need to know. The Weatherby people know what rifle to "wrap around" the .460 cartridge. I am speaking of the Mark V Deluxe at 10 pounds (go for the one with the weight -- you need the weight -- but the rifle is so well balanced you won't feel like you are handling a 10 pound rilfe -- go and handle one and you will see what I mean).

The ammo currently available is listed at leaving the rifle at 2600 fps (that is supposedly less velocity than what I discharged). One other way of helping yourself is running at 2500 fps. I own a book by M.L. McPherson, "Metallic Cartridge Reloading". Mr. McPherson swears that 2500 fps at 500 grains is THE WAY TO GO with the .460 Weatherby. I don't know -- just an idea to bat around -- 2500 fps has got to be even more pleasant to shoot.

Now, one other suggestion. If you get any Weatherby for Dangerous Game purposes, BE SURE to purchase the extended magazine. You need at least three rounds in the magazine on ANY rifle that might see action against dangerous game. Craig Boddington once wrote (I am fairly certain I remember reading it in his book "African Safari Rifles") that he liked and had used Weatherby rifles on dangerous game. He had only one reservation. The 2 shot magazines in the large rifles. His habit was not to carry a chambered round (for safety reasons). This effectively cut him down to 2 rounds at "showtime". Now that has been overcome with the advent of the magazine extension.

I personally don't see why Mr. Weatherby doesn't make it standard equipment on the .460, 416, 378, and .375 -- but it is not a very expensive add on, so whichever you choose, .416 or 460, be sure to get the extended magazine.

As for muzzle breaks producing noise that damages hearing? All rifles produce loud noises when discharged that is potentially damaging to your hearing. Wear ear muffs at the range, and ear plugs in the field. The muzzle break that was on my Weatherby was not that loud. It was the Pendeldon permanently attached model. I can't speak about their current models, but the one I shot wasn't that much in noise over any other rifles I have shot. But when you shoot any rifle, do wear some ear plugs -- wearing ear plugs not only protects your hearing, they help your accuracy by cutting the advent of sudden unpleasant noise that also tends to effect accuracy in shooting.

Mr. Derekwest, my final thought -- go and try out a .460 Weatherby in a 10+ pound Mark V Deluxe -- I sense you want one, and I think you will be pleasantly surpised to realize that in this rifle model, YOU CAN EASILY SHOOT the one you really seem to want.

All my comments apply to the Mark V Deluxe Weatherby -- I am telling you the honest truth as I know it in this caliber -- my comments about the .460 Weatherby apply to no other models or makes. If I can shoot it, anybody can!

--------------------

JabaliHunter
.400 member

Reged: 16/05/07
Loc: England
Re: 460WM [Re: Der_Jaeger]
      #130988 - 31/03/09 09:42 PM

Quote:

But, if you are really considering Elephant or large pacaderms like hippo, PLEASE, go shoot a .460 Weatherby in this model. Shoot a Mark V Deluxe with a weight of 10 pounds and a muzzle break. You will be pleasantly surprised! I am no superman, if something hurts, I will 'hollar!

Holler all you like - I doubt he'll hear you with his ears bleeding!

peter
removed

Re: 460WM [Re: JabaliHunter]
      #131014 - 01/04/09 01:26 AM

Quote:

Quote:

But, if you are really considering Elephant or large pacaderms like hippo, PLEASE, go shoot a .460 Weatherby in this model. Shoot a Mark V Deluxe with a weight of 10 pounds and a muzzle break. You will be pleasantly surprised! I am no superman, if something hurts, I will 'hollar!

Holler all you like - I doubt he'll hear you with his ears bleeding!

peter

grandveneur
.400 member

#131020 - 01/04/09 01:59 AM

Nobody like the 460 Weatherby Magnum ! I am very unhappy !

peter
removed

#131029 - 01/04/09 02:54 AM

dont be mate

if you like it and you shoot it well then thats all that matters.

peter

JabaliHunter
.400 member

Reged: 16/05/07
Loc: England
      #131043 - 01/04/09 04:43 AM

Sorry - my comment was about the muzzle break.
I will admit that I don't have any interest in the .460 for 2 reasons:
I want controlled round feed, or a rimmed cartridge in a double rifle; and
I can't see the advantage of putting so much stress on even a monolithic solid that might give it any more reason to deform on contact with elephant bones than is already inherently possible.
Other than at ranges beyond 200 yards, I really can't see the point of exceeding 2400fps. I NEVER intend to shoot at an animal that would require a 500 grain bullet at anything like that kind of range.

Having said all that, show me a CRF .460 Weatherby with a suitable barrel twist for 600 grain monolithics at 2150fps and you'll get my attention! Briefly.

At the end of the day, i agree with Peter - enjoy what you shoot, but for God's sake shoot it well

Edited by JabaliHunter (01/04/09 05:00 AM)

thorshammer
.300 member

Reged: 27/12/08
Loc: USA
      #131045 - 01/04/09 06:30 AM

all i can say is its survived all these years for a reason has a purpose and has a following great caliber im more partial for the 416 weatherby but they all are great rifles

congomike
.224 member

Reged: 20/04/03
Re: 460WM [Re: thorshammer]
      #134819 - 08/05/09 01:37 PM

I really like mine. Lets see now, a 458 Lott has to be loaded to full case capacity, sometimes compressed loads to reach the 2300fps mark with a 500 gr. bullet. My 460 is loaded on the mild side to reach that velocity. Case life, when loaded to the 2300fps range, is quite good, better than my 458 Win.
As for the factory loads, they are worthless. You do not need that much velocity. I always see the comments that the 460 is loaded way too hot, fast, whatever, and that recoil is vicious. At 2300 it is less recoil than, IMHO, the Lott.
Remember, just because you own a Ferrari that can do over 200mph, does not mean that you have to drive it at 200mph all the time....do the same with the 460...load it down a bit and it solves all the perceived problems. As for the belt, well think 375 H&H...nuff said.

ovny
.375 member

Reged: 19/06/08
Loc: Spain
      #135524 - 17/05/09 05:08 AM

Quote:

In France we like the 460WM and we dont have problem's to shot it! What is your opinion about this cartridge?

I see you like powerful weapons. Caliber is a very powerful and he says people very uncomfortable to shoot. I imagine that the reload will "soften".

Oscar.

--------------------
I am Spanish

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 21 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 9494

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com