Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: One favorite calibre for deer, antelope, bear, elk etc

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Rifles

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
alexbeer
.333 member

Reged: 10/04/08
Loc: Tasmania, Australia
One favorite calibre for deer, antelope, bear, elk etc
      #129742 - 16/03/09 10:39 PM

Hello all,

If (heaven forbid) you could have just one rifle to hunt deer, antelope, bear and elk, what calibre would you choose. I'm looking for some ideas on a calibre to build a spec rifle in. Would appreciate your input and your reasons why you choose that certain calibre.

Thanks for your time

ALEX

alexbeer.com

--------------------

Details matter!

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Mike_Bailey
.400 member

Reged: 26/02/07
Loc: GB
Re: One favorite calibre for deer, antelope, bear, elk etc [Re: alexbeer]
      #129745 - 16/03/09 10:58 PM

.375 H&H best, Mike

rscott
.333 member

Reged: 21/03/08
Loc: wyo., USA
Re: One favorite calibre for deer, antelope, bear, elk etc *DELETED* [Re: Mike_Bailey]
      #129750 - 17/03/09 01:21 AM

Post deleted by rscott

Edited by rscott (17/03/09 11:01 AM)

JabaliHunter
.400 member

Reged: 16/05/07
Loc: England
Re: One favorite calibre for deer, antelope, bear, elk etc [Re: rscott]
      #129756 - 17/03/09 01:58 AM

Ideally, I'd have a switch barrel rifle in something like .270Win or 6.5-06 shooting 130gr or 140gr which will more than adequately cover deer/antelope/sheep, etc. over all reasonable distances; and the second barrel in .338-06 or 9.3x62 for the heavier stuff like elk, moose and bears. Standard length action, not too heavy, mild recoil, easy to buy or make brass, great bullets, proven performance, etc...

If I wasn't going to have a switch barrel rifle, then I would go with a 30-06 to shoot 180gr to 220gr (or possibly an 8x68S) if I was going to have more opportunities on the deer/antelope/elk end of the spectrum or a 9.3x62 if the majority of hunting was for game at the larger end, or if I was going to be in grizzly country most of the time even when not hunting bears.

grandveneur
.400 member

Reged: 21/09/08
Loc: France / Germany
      #129761 - 17/03/09 03:14 AM

340WM and 250gr. SPBT bullet from Sierra. A lot of power and a superb trajectory for long range shooting at medium game, mountain game---- and bear's.

iqbal
resigned as a member

Reged: 05/02/03
Loc: Karachi,Pakistan
      #129762 - 17/03/09 03:24 AM

7mm.mag.should do the job.

bigmaxx
.375 member

Reged: 13/06/07
Loc: Bowling Green KY U.S.A.
Re: One favorite calibre for deer, antelope, bear, elk etc [Re: grandveneur]
      #129764 - 17/03/09 03:26 AM

I would go with .30-06 if you are talking black bear, or one of .375s for brown or grizzly bear. I have the .375 ruger. There are alot of options, most of the 30 caliber or 7mm calibers, even .45-70 could handle the task.

--------------------
One day at a time...

grandveneur
.400 member

Re: One favorite calibre for deer, antelope, bear, elk etc [Re: iqbal]
      #129770 - 17/03/09 03:40 AM

Not on big elk's and bear's! 7mm RM is not a allroud caliber, and we speak about a one rifle hunt!

Edited by grandveneur (17/03/09 03:46 AM)

André
.333 member

Reged: 28/06/04
Loc: Brussels (Belgium)
      #129773 - 17/03/09 03:49 AM

I believe my "travel kit" should cover these needs

OffRoad R93 + bbls. in .300 Win Mag / Swarovski 2,5-10x42 & 9,3x62 Mag-Na-Port / Swarovski 1,25-4x24 (illuminated reticle)

--------------------
André
---------------------------------
3 shots do not make a group, they show a point of aim or impact.
5 shots are a group.

gatsby
.375 member

Reged: 05/09/05
Loc: inland valley CA USA
      #129777 - 17/03/09 04:06 AM

If you had to have one gun (with one barrel) for the States, I'd go with the 270 Winchester. The 375 H&H is way over the top for most all our game animals with the exception of the big bears. The 270 is not the ideal big bear caliber but it would get the job done.

--------------------
"Recoil is insignificant when there is a tiger on the head of your elephant" The Maharaja of Cooch Behar

450_EXPRESS
.333 member

Reged: 04/01/09
Loc: S.C.Montana
Re: One favorite calibre for deer, antelope, bear, elk etc [Re: gatsby]
      #129781 - 17/03/09 04:55 AM

I used a 30-06 for years on the game you listed. Then a friend of mine who was sold on the 338 WM gave me one (M70 Win). First thing I did was restock it in a straight grain, dense, heavy piece of English and I have grown very fond of it. I think the '06 is a good caliber but if I could only have one the 338 would win. Not bad at all, with the right bullets of course, on meat and it hits with a bit more than the 06. If I didn't handload though, I'd go with the '06.

DuggaBoy
.300 member

Reged: 03/03/09
Loc: Tx
Re: One favorite calibre for deer, antelope, bear, elk etc [Re: 450_EXPRESS]
      #129784 - 17/03/09 05:08 AM

Hmmmm, when you throw antelope into the mix the complexity changes a bit,as few hunters can routinely shoot reliably around 350 to 400 yds and beyond.

While,I'm typically not a fan of the newer overbore magnums. I have one that until recently I would not have consider a favorite. It is a 300RUM custom with a kevlar stock and a recoil reduction unit in the butt,that groups several projectile weights from 140 to 250 remarkably well, almost all MOA with several Sub-MOA.

With the availability of solids, homogeneous copper and premium bonded bullets expanding in .308, accompanied by its flatter trajectory, high energy and light weight it is a consideration.

A major caveat could be ammunition availability as compared to "standard" calibres in the boonies.

We all know that all game animals have been taken with .270, .30-06 and .303, and one could make an argument for some classic favorites, 35 Whelen or 375 H&H, however, their more arcing trajectory increases the skill level needed on the longer shots.
The larger frontal diameters and the heavier bullets of these two latter choices may give an advantage on the closer heavier and/or more dangerous game.

On a sentimental level, I'd like to give my .256 Newton a go at the " one rifle" hunt for all the above mentioned game, when do we start?

thorshammer
.300 member

Reged: 27/12/08
Loc: USA
Re: One favorite calibre for deer, antelope, bear, elk etc [Re: DuggaBoy]
      #129786 - 17/03/09 05:40 AM

338 lapua should do the trick its reported it can reach out to 1000 yards and beyond

DuggaBoy
.300 member

Reged: 03/03/09
Loc: Tx
Re: One favorite calibre for deer, antelope, bear, elk etc [Re: thorshammer]
      #129787 - 17/03/09 05:54 AM

Funny you should mention the .338LM,I thought about mentioning it; I have been working on load development in a Blaser TAC-2. While I have enjoyed this aspect of the LM. I would hate to carry it on long stalks and deal with the muzzle blast with the break in place or the recoil prone without it.

--------------------
DuggaBoy
NRA-Life
Whittington-Life
TSRA-Life
DSC

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
      #129812 - 17/03/09 10:38 AM

Quote:

Hello all,

If (heaven forbid) you could have just one rifle to hunt deer, antelope, bear and elk, what calibre would you choose. I'm looking for some ideas on a calibre to build a spec rifle in. Would appreciate your input and your reasons why you choose that certain calibre.

Thanks for your time

ALEX

Alex,

Completely from my armchair, but I would choose a 8x68S.

Enough reach for antelope. Load 220 gr or heavier bullets for bear, moose etc.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

9.3x57
.450 member

Reged: 22/04/07
Loc: United States
Re: One favorite calibre for deer, antelope, bear, elk etc [Re: NitroX]
      #129816 - 17/03/09 11:12 AM

Somewhat off-topic, I think it would be pretty interesting if I could convince the membership to arrange all their American travels to veer off-course a bit to swing by my place.

I'd set a target of my own choosing {same for all of course} at a distance of my own choosing {"something-over-295-yards" and same for all of course} and then ask for One Shot to be fired after we jog to the rifle range from the front gate. Then I'd be able to say what I think about long-range calibers in-general, for others.

Knowing my own personal field distance limitations {...read; One-Shot-Under-Pressure-Group-Shooting-Ability}, I'd be well-served with a .338-06, 9.3x62, .375-06 or .35 Whelen.

Forced to pick one, I'd go with 9.3x62, since I already own one.

Having said that, if we erase big bear off the list, I'd be happy with the 6.5x55. I admit the caliber would give me no excuse for one single lost animal.

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
Re: One favorite calibre for deer, antelope, bear, elk etc [Re: DuggaBoy]
      #129823 - 17/03/09 11:47 AM

Quote:

Hmmmm, when you throw antelope into the mix the complexity changes a bit,as few hunters can routinely shoot reliably around 350 to 400 yds and beyond.

While,I'm typically not a fan of the newer overbore magnums. I have one that until recently I would not have consider a favorite. It is a 300RUM custom with a kevlar stock and a recoil reduction unit in the butt,that groups several projectile weights from 140 to 250 remarkably well, almost all MOA with several Sub-MOA.

Have hunted all those mentioned and would have no problem using my 300RUM ...Have a HS that will shoot one holers at 100 yards on a regular basis..have shot antelope 400 plus with it as well as shot bears, elk, caribou, deer and all things in between...stoke it with 200 grainers or 220's for the bigger stuff and 165 or 180's for the smaller ones..or just stick with the 200's..getting 3170 fps about, with it which is plenty to shoot as far as your heart desires...

As to the 7mm not being big enough for big bears....baloney....have a friend, Troy, who has hunted around the world more than anyone I know---has shot every type of bear you can, along with probably 70 different species in Africa---all with a 7mm Remington Mag..Browning rifle..is it ideal, NO...will it work..YES..again, depends greatly on who is shooting it...

Ripp

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

Edited by Ripp (17/03/09 09:53 PM)

Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
Re: One favorite calibre for deer, antelope, bear, elk etc [Re: 9.3x57]
      #129832 - 17/03/09 12:31 PM

Quote:

Somewhat off-topic, I think it would be pretty interesting if I could convince the membership to arrange all their American travels to veer off-course a bit to swing by my place.

I'd set a target of my own choosing {same for all of course} at a distance of my own choosing {"something-over-295-yards" and same for all of course} and then ask for One Shot to be fired after we jog to the rifle range from the front gate. Then I'd be able to say what I think about long-range calibers in-general, for others.

I'd be up for that---how far is that dang range from the gate???

And Wagers..???

Ripp

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

Der_Jaeger
.375 member

Reged: 09/10/08
Loc: SE Pennsylvania
Re: One favorite calibre for deer, antelope, bear, elk etc [Re: Ripp]
      #129837 - 17/03/09 01:52 PM

One caliber to hunt all the species you mentioned? Probably the .300 Weatherby. If it was mostly the larger species you mentioned, probably the .338 Win. Mag or the .340 Weatherby.

--------------------

grandveneur
.400 member

Re: One favorite calibre for deer, antelope, bear, elk etc [Re: thorshammer]
      #129848 - 17/03/09 05:18 PM

Quote:

338 lapua should do the trick its reported it can reach out to 1000 yards and beyond

In a tactical long range shooting rifle, barrel of 29", no suitable for hunting!

rscott
.333 member

Reged: 21/03/08
Loc: wyo., USA
Re: One favorite calibre for deer, antelope, bear, elk etc [Re: grandveneur]
      #129862 - 17/03/09 10:15 PM

well, as you've included the big, brown fuzzy things, 9.3X64. but also think the 8X68S is a great choice.
both standard length action and in the case of the 9.3 Brenneke, possibly the most efficient cartridge ever devised.

i guess if i was absolutely limited to owning only one rifle, period, it would be my FN/FAL.

Birdhunter50
.375 member

Reged: 03/06/07
Loc: Iowa,U.S.A.
Re: One favorite calibre for deer, antelope, bear, elk etc [Re: rscott]
      #129864 - 17/03/09 11:09 PM

I would vote for the 300 Win. Mag., it might not be as good as some others on big bears, but you really didn't say what kind of bears. I'm sure it would handle black bears without any problem. By using the different bullets available in .308 caliber, you can tailor your loads for different game. If I could not handload for this "One Rifle", I would choose the 338 Win Mag.

Tatume
.400 member

Reged: 09/06/07
Loc: Gloucester, Va USA
Re: One favorite calibre for deer, antelope, bear, elk etc [Re: Birdhunter50]
      #129866 - 17/03/09 11:25 PM

Quote:

Some years ago, the Virginia Shooting Sports Association set up a life-sized target of a deer at 500 yards. All attendees at the annual meeting were invited to bring a hunting rifle and take one offhand shot at the target. There was a $500 prize for a killing shot. The object was to demonstrate the folly of taking excessively long shots at game. I used an M1 Garand. I used the money to buy a hunting rifle. :-)

I still set my personal limit at 250 yards for animals, no limit on targets.

And, for an all-around big game rifle for North America, my vote goes for the 30-06.

--------------------
Take care, Tom
NRA Life Member

9.3x57
.450 member

Reged: 22/04/07
Loc: United States
Re: One favorite calibre for deer, antelope, bear, elk etc [Re: Ripp]
      #129869 - 18/03/09 12:06 AM

Quote:

I'd be up for that---how far is that dang range from the gate???

Not far, about 1/2 mile.

The point I'm making is it would be interesting to see what the One-Shot Groups would be for a fairly large number of hunters. My range is a gully where the shooting points are either set-ups or the sort-of uncomfortable spots that seem to drive a guy crazy in the field.

As you know, trigger squeeze is always easiest when the trigger is a keyboard or the shot that hits the killzone is number 4 of a five-shot group. Lots of fellows can shoot very well indeed, lots more are willing to take shots that are outside their shooting limitations.

And the biggest group of all from what I've seen at public ranges are those who have no idea what their limitations are but are willing to shoot anyway.

This is what bugs me about American gun magazines. The gun writers drone on and on about the performance capabilities of rifles when the tools are not at all the limiting factors in the field or at least rarely are. Wind estimation, conditioning, familiarization with field positions and pure shooting skill are. A 500-yard rifle doesn't make a 500-yard shooter. I have no problem with 500-yard rifles.

I can't really make a recommendation of what caliber is best for somebody else. Ballisitcally-speaking, every caliber named so far in this thread will do the job asked. Whether we hunters can is another story entirely.

We are really awash in superb calibers and rifles these days. Amazingly so. It is actually hard to pick a BAD caliber for the critters listed!

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

Edited by 9.3x57 (18/03/09 01:28 AM)

WyoJoe
.300 member

Reged: 18/02/04
Loc: Cheyenne, WY USA
Re: One favorite calibre for deer, antelope, bear, elk etc [Re: Mike_Bailey]
      #129871 - 18/03/09 12:35 AM

Quote:

.375 H&H best, Mike

You beat me to it. I use mine for everything.

--------------------
There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor polite, nor popular -- but one must ask, "Is it right?"

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 66 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 12563

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com