Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Just a few Weatherbys

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Rifles

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
DM
.300 member

Reged: 12/02/07
Loc: mid west USA
Re: Just a few Weatherbys [Re: DuggaBoy]
      #130431 - 25/03/09 11:11 AM

I've seen two failures of rifles in the Alaskan bush, both were Wby's...

First was on a winter hunt and moisture (ice crystals) got into those little locking lugs, and the action froze shut... Perhaps fireing it would have jarred it loose, but i didn't think much of the design after i got back to town and my friend (who was a guide) said he had seen it happen too...

Second time, i had bought a 340 as i was doing a LOT of brown bear hunting, and thought i'd give one a try... Anyway, one day shortly after i bought it, i took it out for a day hunt to see if i could find a moose for the freezer. Sure enough, i did find a bull and stalked close for the shot... When i fired, i opened the bolt, pulled it back to eject the cartridge, and the bolt came out, with me almost loosing it behind me... It rather shocked me, but i fumbled around and got it back into the gun!

The bolt stop had broken off, and after examineing it, i could see it had a little lathe cut in it, and that's where it had broken... I bought a new bolt stop, (that didn't have the lathe cut) put it in and sold the rifle! I'm damn glad it didn't happen when i was following up someones wounded bear!

I've also seen those actions where all of the locking lugs didn't touch, but after fireing numerous rounds through the action they will wear in... I use to know a guy that would lap the lugs in every new Wby. he bought so all the lugs would mate properly...

DM

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 21 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 11540

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com