Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Just a few Weatherbys

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Rifles

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
Der_Jaeger
.375 member

Reged: 09/10/08
Loc: SE Pennsylvania
Just a few Weatherbys
      #126837 - 13/02/09 06:17 AM

Many here are not fans of Weatherby or their calibers, but I've been captivated by them since youth. They've been used successfully on Whitetail, Mule Deer, Antelope, Elk, and Boar. Even a Mallard at about 150 yards! I recently sold my blonde .460 to my brother so I could purchase the .blonde .416.

Here are a few of them that I've stripped and refinished in oil, added length and pads, and recheckered. The wood looks a bit darker in these photos and the flash has flattened out the true depth of the grain. In several of the rifles, the grain is even better on the other side. All scopes are mounted in Warne Maxima bases and rings.

From the left:

.257 Lasermark with Zeiss 4.5-14x40
.270 Euromark with Leupold VX-III 2.5-80x36
.300 Euromark with Swarovski 3-9x42
.300 Deluxe with Leupold VX-III 3.5-10x40
.340 Deluxe with Zeiss 3-9x40
.416 Deluxe with Leupold VX-III 1.75-6x32 HD

My other wood stocked rifle is a Mauser M03 in .375 H&H

--------------------

Edited by Der_Jaeger (13/02/09 06:21 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
GG375
.333 member

Reged: 27/02/04
Loc: Brisbane
Re: Just a few Weatherbys [Re: Der_Jaeger]
      #126839 - 13/02/09 07:03 AM

Weatherby's aren't my cup of tea - but that is a nice collection and in good nick too. Most look like they have been used and well cared for in the process. Thanks for sharing.

Cheers.

GG

tophet1
.400 member

Reged: 15/09/07
Loc: NSW, Australia
Re: Just a few Weatherbys [Re: GG375]
      #126841 - 13/02/09 07:13 AM

Are you taking any to Africa with you ?

Caprivi
.375 member

Reged: 30/09/08
Loc: America's Serengeti, Buffalo W...
Re: Just a few Weatherbys [Re: tophet1]
      #126852 - 13/02/09 11:02 AM

Very nice, I will have to get mine out and photo'ed as well. Thou they are painted different than your's are.
I am guessing, but know the guns, They are lined up left to right as .257 DeLuxe/Laser/Oil, .270 Euro/Oil, .300 Euro/Oil from me, .300 DeLuxe/Oil, .340 DeLuxe/Oil and then the .416.....????

I know of a nice .240 and a .22-250

--------------------
To live life as it is handed to me from God

Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
Re: Just a few Weatherbys [Re: Caprivi]
      #126855 - 13/02/09 12:25 PM

Nice collection---congrats...

While I am not a Weatherby gun guy, I do like some of their calibers and have had rifles built in their calibers--the one I like most is the .257 Weatherby as it works awesome where I live---very flat shooting and works great on anything from deer, bear, elk, antelope, etc....

Thx
Ripp

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

Caprivi
.375 member

Re: Just a few Weatherbys [Re: Ripp]
      #126858 - 13/02/09 01:03 PM

Just a question out to the general membership............Why don't you like Weatherby's.

I have 5 with a 6th on the way. I have had dozens. I have begun selling off some of my guns and have settled on Weatherby's and Westley's for rifles and Rugers for side arms.

--------------------

9.3x57
.450 member

Reged: 22/04/07
Loc: United States
      #126859 - 13/02/09 01:26 PM

Caprivi, that's a good question. The older I get, the less I "don't like" any gun. I may have an eye for this or that, but enjoy others's interests alot.

Some like Remingtons or Winchesters, or Rigbys, or Original Mausers {does anybody NOT like an original Mauser??} or whatever.

This rack of shootin irons shows the personal taste and interest of the owner. Very interesting stuff. I like the fact that they are personalized, too.

Der Jäger, you must be a pretty tall hombre!

Thanks for posting.

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

Caprivi
.375 member

Re: Just a few Weatherbys [Re: 9.3x57]
      #126861 - 13/02/09 01:29 PM

Quote:

Thanks for posting.

He is indeed.

--------------------

Huvius
.416 member

Reged: 04/11/07
Loc: Colorado
      #126872 - 13/02/09 02:24 PM

I think Weatherbys are just unusual rifles.
The cartridges are exactly what they were designed to be, Roy Weatherby was the "Viceroy of Velocity" after all, but the styling is what leaves so many people cold IMO.
I just never warmed up to the "California" styling - angled forend tips, flared grips, high cheekpieces, mother of plastic inlays and then the hard glossy finish. Goofy looking IMO.

I have also heared and read that the lock up of the little bolt lugs is simply not as positive as the Mauser system. Something to do with matching up all of the surfaces of the lugs evenly being very difficult resulting in few of them bearing the majority of the recoil. This may or may not be true and they may be designed differently now but I do remember looking at the uneven wear on the lugs of my father's 460 and wondering about it at the time. Maybe the more they are shot, the more even the mating becomes.

--------------------
He who lives in the past is doomed to enjoy it.

Der_Jaeger
.375 member

Re: Just a few Weatherbys [Re: Huvius]
      #126914 - 14/02/09 12:05 AM

Quote:

I have also heared and read that the lock up of the little bolt lugs is simply not as positive as the Mauser system. Something to do with matching up all of the surfaces of the lugs evenly being very difficult resulting in few of them bearing the majority of the recoil. This may or may not be true and they may be designed differently now but I do remember looking at the uneven wear on the lugs of my father's 460 and wondering about it at the time. Maybe the more they are shot, the more even the mating becomes.

Definitely not true; at least on my Weatherby's. All 9 lugs have even wear on them. I would argue that the Weatherby bolt action is the strongest bolt action on the market. Of course, cases can be argued on both sides, but that's my opinion. Even more dangerous are rifles with only two lugs that don't mate up perfectly, and very few over the counter two-lug bolts do.

--------------------

Edited by Der_Jaeger (14/02/09 12:06 AM)

Der_Jaeger
.375 member

Re: Just a few Weatherbys [Re: 9.3x57]
      #126915 - 14/02/09 12:09 AM

Quote:

Thanks for posting.

Well, it depends on what you mean by tall! I'm 6'4". When I played basketball in H.S., I was not considered tall at all. When I played QB in High School and College, I was considered tall enough where it would be a good advantage!

My shotgun length of pull is 15 1/2". My Length of pull for a scoped rifle is 14 3/4".

--------------------

John303
.300 member

Reged: 16/11/06
Loc: Canada
      #126919 - 14/02/09 12:48 AM

Nice "collection" the only one you need now is a Varmintmaster to fill it out. Even though most of my rifles are on the Mauser action, I do have one German Weatherby in 22-250, to me it was a matter of $ investment, Weatherby's always were a little pricey - at least to me. If I ever run across a good used .300 at the right $, it will come home for sure. Great guns to be sure. --- John303.

Der_Jaeger
.375 member

Re: Just a few Weatherbys [Re: John303]
      #126923 - 14/02/09 01:32 AM

Thanks, John! You're absolutely right in that I "need" a Varminmaster! A 26" barreled Varmintmaster in .224 Wby would be nice indeed. I would settle for a .22-250, though. Oh, such sacrifices

--------------------

grandveneur
.400 member

Reged: 21/09/08
Loc: France / Germany
      #126925 - 14/02/09 01:46 AM

A nice collection! I like Weatherby's cartridges but i prefere customs Mauser 98 rifles. I use a 340WM and a 460WM.

mickey
.416 member

Reged: 05/01/03
Loc: Pend Oreille Valley, Idaho
Re: Just a few Weatherbys [Re: grandveneur]
      #127011 - 14/02/09 07:26 PM

In 1984 I had a .378 that I used a couple of times in Africa. I didn't like the shiny stock as it reflected like a mirror. I took some 4 ought steel wool and buffed the shine off.

A bit later I dropped it and the stock straight down on the recoil pad and broke the butt. I sent it back to Weatherby and got a note back. It said they were sorry that they could not replace it with an oiled stock as they were out of them. They asked if I would accept a shiny one instead if they upgraded the wood.

I like the calibers, particularly the .340, but don't like the forend. I bought a glass stock that used the Weatherby butt and changed the forearm to a more American Classic design. I love it as the Weatherby butt is perfect for scope use. With a 3x9 Zeiss it weighs in at 8.5 lbs.

I have another friend who wanted to collect a rifle in every Weatherby Caliber. Luckily for him he changed his mind and started collecting Pre 64 Winnies instead.

I have heard the claim that all the lugs do not always make contact in the lug recesses. On my .340 I used Prussian Blue on the lugs. If I remember correctly one lug did not make contact and one other was only a partial. I had intended to have all of the lugs polished but decided that it wasn't that important.

As far as strength goes, have no worries. The same .378 was sold to a friend. He screwed up the powder scale and loaded in an additional 10 grains of powder. When he touched it off it blew out of his hands. He had to beat the bolt open with a 2x4. The shell base and about 1 inch of the shell came out attached to the bolt face. The rest of the case was stuck in the chamber. The chamber was expanded and the lugs were set back.

The owner sent the rifle back to Weatherby to get repaired. They sent him back the open sights I had put on it in a plastic baggie and the offer to replace it at their cost, which was, I believe, around $450US. Oh, and the new rifle had an oiled stock.

--------------------
Lovu Zdar
Mick

A Man of Pleasure, Enterprise, Wit and Spirit Rare Books, Big Game Hunting, English Rifles, Fishing, Explosives, Chauvinism, Insensitivity, Public Drunkenness and Sloth, Champion of Lost and Unpopular Causes.

dale
.333 member

Reged: 28/02/06
Loc: logan W.V.
Re: Just a few Weatherbys [Re: mickey]
      #127160 - 15/02/09 07:10 PM

I hope to someday have a 460wm. I tell ol hateful,stingy wife all the time. :^)

grandveneur
.400 member

Reged: 21/09/08
Loc: France / Germany
Re: Just a few Weatherbys [Re: dale]
      #127166 - 15/02/09 08:16 PM

A very good cartridge, but not in a Weatherby rifle. On the other side, the Weatherby rifle are accurate, no question, but i dont like the stock design.

mlg
.275 member

Reged: 19/03/05
Loc: Queensland, Australia
Re: Just a few Weatherbys [Re: grandveneur]
      #128535 - 02/03/09 09:14 PM

Der Jaeger

I can appreciate Weatherbies & love your collection.

I have 3 - a 7mm Ulrtalightweight, 300 Wby Sporter & a 378 Delux.

Love the oiled stocks and the Blond!

Der_Jaeger
.375 member

Re: Just a few Weatherbys [Re: mlg]
      #128536 - 02/03/09 09:46 PM

mlg,

Thank you The only thing that I don't really care for in factory Weatherby's with the wood stock is the poly finish. Granted, it's as tough as freakin' nails, but I prefer to strip them down, apply my best finish, and fit them accordingly to my dimensions. The other option is simply contacting the Weatherby Custom Shop and they'll build any rifle you want, traditional Weatherby style or Classic configurations, in any dimention, and with any other accroutremnets you wish. Turn around time is great, too.

You've got a nice caliber selection that will suit any hunting need!

--------------------

Bestboss
.224 member

Reged: 21/10/08
Loc: Michigan, USA
      #129906 - 18/03/09 08:21 AM

Maybe I missed something in the above posts, but one of the complaints of yesteryear and specifically in the hot, moist climates of African hunting, are the higher pressures often associated with Weatherby rounds. Given the needs of a tenderfoot on a two week jaunt, this might not be an issue. Put that same rifle in the hands of a PH or resident who throws the rifle in the back of the vehicle and forgets about it, there could be problems.
Many like the 375 (H&H) because it works so well and it's cartridges do not "hang up" in the rifle. Look at the long tapered design. Although a bit long, it is a match made in heaven for reliability.
Back to my thought, do I have problems with my Weatherbys hanging up? Only when I do not clean them on a regular basis and then it only requires a bit more of a tug on the handle thingy. Truth is, accuracy suffers noticably, long before function is affected. That is also a Weatherby characteristic.
Larry

Der_Jaeger
.375 member

Re: Just a few Weatherbys [Re: Bestboss]
      #129914 - 18/03/09 10:40 AM

All of my rifles in the photo above shoot at least MOA and, on most days, sub-MOA, with factory loads and with no accuracy enhancement other than how it came from the factory. As for the heat and pressure nonsense, I've hunted out West where the temperature got downright HOT, along with the ammo and rifle, and have never had an issue. Maybe I'm lucky

--------------------

Bestboss
.224 member

Reged: 21/10/08
Loc: Michigan, USA
      #130009 - 19/03/09 02:01 PM

Der Jaeger,
I guess I never really took a position in my post above. I am in agreement with you on the reliability of the Weatherby rifles. They are right up there with my best Mauser actions.
And to be prefectly honest, I was never a fan of guns that demanded a substantial premium over similar less expensive shooters. The decision came hard for me to buy my first MKV. The second was a few weeks later. I will not discuss numbers beyond that, in case my wife is listening. LOL!
As far as the shine, I have some of the old Jap made MKV's and have noticed a bit of mottleing in the shiney finish. I checked out the problem and it seems to be the use of gun oil on the stocks. I was told to use some non-abrasive liquid car wax on them and sure enough, it brought the finish right back up to snuff. What beautiful wood they have!
Larry

DuggaBoy
.300 member

Reged: 03/03/09
Loc: Tx
      #130038 - 20/03/09 01:14 AM

Nice collection.
Always liked them.

Bought my first in 1968, a Mark XXII my father thought I was insane :"$99.00for a .22!!!!"
Still have it ,is and always was a delight.
In the early 80's bought a .300 , very accurate, gave it to a good friend.(miss them both)

About the same time a .460 ,a rare lightweight with no muzzle break ; found out immediately why they were rare!!
Sold it quickly.
Recently had one of the ultra-lights in .270, accurate for 1 maybe two shots then barrel would heat up and move dramatically.(but ,it was designed as a 1 shot or two shot mountain rifle)

Besides the XXII my only current is actually not a"real" one. It is a custom double square bridge Bauska action in .378, accurate and easy too shoot due to proportions and stock design.

--------------------
DuggaBoy
NRA-Life
Whittington-Life
TSRA-Life
DSC

Der_Jaeger
.375 member

Re: Just a few Weatherbys [Re: DuggaBoy]
      #130119 - 21/03/09 01:32 AM

DuggaBoy,

A lightweight .460 w/ no brake doesn't sound very fun! My .460 had a built in Pendleton brake that blended perfectly w/ the barrel and was difficult to see. Even though it was a stern taskmaster for poor shooting form, I never minded shooting it off an upright bench even w approx. 85ft/lbs of recoil energy. Shooting 16lb bowling balls at a 100 yards with a 500 grain solid was pure joy!

Regarding your .378, sounds awesome! Even the name, ".378 Weatherby", invokes awe.......and makes weak men wet their pants!

--------------------

DuggaBoy
.300 member

Reged: 03/03/09
Loc: Tx
      #130121 - 21/03/09 01:52 AM

Jerry,
As to the 460, it was definitely no fun.

You hear stories you don't belive of guns that "punch" you and you see stars--this one was in that category.
Never thought I was recoil sensitive until then, but I had a headache after three shots.

Will try to post a pic of the Sterling Davenport built .378, tis a beaut.

BTW, if you are a collector of early Weatherby's there is a 30-06 with a Norman Ford Texan scope, probably about a 1948 to 1951 Gun in prime comdition.

--------------------
DuggaBoy
NRA-Life
Whittington-Life
TSRA-Life
DSC

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 44 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 11539

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com