Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Remington 700 Police

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Rifles

Pages: 1
André
.333 member

Reged: 28/06/04
Loc: Brussels (Belgium)
Remington 700 Police
      #116681 - 11/10/08 10:05 PM

I'm thinking about buying an(other*) accurate .308 Win rifle for target shooting, playing, etc. I already own A 700 Sendero SS fluted bbl. in .300 Win which is quite acccurate, so I'm considering the Rem 700 Police (with HS, alu bedded, stock). Any experience, pro & contra ?

*A few days ago, my wife made a remark about the fact I hadn't bought a new rifle since last year. So, who am I to contradict such a brilliant woman

--------------------
André
---------------------------------
3 shots do not make a group, they show a point of aim or impact.
5 shots are a group.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
Re: Remington 700 Police [Re: André]
      #116693 - 12/10/08 02:18 AM

While I don't have experience with that exact model--I DO have probably 15 plus Remington's in the closet ranging in calbers from 223 to 416---don't have a dog in the bunch..have several with the HS precision stock in 22-250, 243 and 264, 270, 280 and 300 Winchester that shoot very small groups---would not be afraid to purchase one for the purpose you describe.

I read people hammering on Remington for one thing or another and just smile to myself..each to their own..look at the web sites and see how many custom shops are using the Remington action for their $3 to $6,000 guns they are selling...mmmmm....or how many have copied that design..no, its not perfect, but in todays world, show me one that is..with the excetion of the higher end customs...

There are other models and manufacturers that are similarily priced that shoot quite well also. I reload for several people and when they get a new rifle they ask me to work up some loads for them...two guns I have shot recently were very accurate with almost anything I shot in them..One was a Savage bull barrel and the other was a CZ that also shot very very well..for the price I was really impressed...both had very good triggers which helped --the Savage had the accutrigger and the CZ had a set trigger which, when set, tripped at 8 oz. ---

Take Care

Ripp

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

bwananelson
.400 member

Reged: 08/10/07
Loc: DELTONA FLORIDA
Re: Remington 700 Police [Re: Ripp]
      #116713 - 12/10/08 06:57 AM

i had a 308 in the model 700pss nice deadly accurate to further than most people can shoot.i coupled it to a shepard scope and hit targets from 800-100 yds if i doped the wind right.it is not a walk about rifle but it will shoot and will hang in there with the best custom babies for the money you cant go wrong.

--------------------
THERE ARE NO DO OVERS IN LIFE DONT LET A CHANCE AT A DREAM SLIP AWAY.

Woodbeef
.275 member

Reged: 30/12/06
Loc: Badlands of Alberta
      #116721 - 12/10/08 09:07 AM

Know a few guys with the Rems,most seem to like them. A couple of them switched to the Savages though,and say they are much better. Alot of the guys shooting the 6.5x284 seem to be using Savage/Stevens actions as a base these days instead of the Rems for some reason up here.

Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
Re: Remington 700 Police [Re: Woodbeef]
      #116729 - 12/10/08 11:57 AM

Quote:

Know a few guys with the Rems,most seem to like them. A couple of them switched to the Savages though,and say they are much better. Alot of the guys shooting the 6.5x284 seem to be using Savage/Stevens actions as a base these days instead of the Rems for some reason up here.

Savage is making factory guns in 6.5/284 with they long range comp. rifles...have looked at a few---they are supposedly set up for competition right from the factory..For the money. Savage is a very accurate rifle--in my experience..

Ripp

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

bigmaxx
.375 member

Reged: 13/06/07
Loc: Bowling Green KY U.S.A.
Re: Remington 700 Police [Re: Ripp]
      #116735 - 12/10/08 01:39 PM

I had a Savage Police model .308 with the oversixe bolt handle and a Choate Ultimate Sniper Stock, and I wish I had never sold it. Supremely accurate. I have a Model 12 Fluted Heavy Barrel .22-250 now. Savage is worth a look!

--------------------
One day at a time...

butchloc
.300 member

Reged: 18/12/04
Loc: faribault mn
Re: Remington 700 Police [Re: bigmaxx]
      #116955 - 15/10/08 07:47 AM

somewhere in the rack i have one. all it really is is the remmy varmiter with a 308 chamber. good accurate rifle, but nothing special

tinker
.416 member

Reged: 12/03/05
Loc: Nevada
      #116959 - 15/10/08 08:28 AM

André-

I own a m700P DM LTR .308 (mod5713)
I'd gotten this rifle years ago with the interest in running it in competition.

At this point it's a strong, stable, accurate rifle.
When it was delivered, it was not.

As-delivered, the chamber was cut eccentric to the bore (obviously visible looking through the breech of the rifle)
the barrel was touching the forend along nearly the full length of one side of the stock, and even with Gold Medal Match ammunition the best groups at 100 yards were over 2" C.T.C.

My first move was to send it back to Remington, who sent it back (dirty) with a letter noting that they did not offer an accuracy guarantee, and that they were comfortable with the rifle's performance (even in light of the eccentric chamber/bore relationship and wonky stock fit).

I called and contested, pleaded my case that this was an expensive rifle and that it should at least have a proper chamber job, but they refused to further service the rifle.

I then washed my hands to Remington and delivered the rifle to Jerry Rice at NorCal Precision for a new barrel and a full action/stock/barrel treatment and some additional enhancements to the action.

It now prints ragged-hole groups and has an amazingly stable cold-barrel zero.

I don't have any other personal experience owning/using the M700P series rifles.
Shortly previous to the initial build/purchase of my rifle, Remington quit exclusively building the line in the Custom Shop. My rifle (and all contemporary to current M700P models) was built on the production line, and doesn't enjoy the hand-made status and quality known to be associated with the old Remington Custom Shop rifle builders.

Shop wisely.
Don't buy a new one - make sure that what you're getting *shoots*, and from there good success to you.

Word has it that modern Savage rifles shoot the nuts off modern Remingtons.
If I were shopping with my money, I'd look at the S-Brand before considering the R-Brand.

--Tinker

--------------------
--Self-Appointed Colonel, DRSS--

"It IS a dangerous game, and so named for a reason, and you can't play from the keyboard. " --Some Old Texan...

Bestboss
.224 member

Reged: 21/10/08
Loc: Michigan, USA
Re: Remington 700 Police [Re: tinker]
      #117370 - 22/10/08 12:21 AM

I seldom sell a rifle, but I sold my Police. I'm sure given enough money, it could have been a shooter, but a Heavy barrel Savage Tactical came along and the switch was made. I must admit, that my experience with the 700's has been generally good, with this one exception.
BB

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 51 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2947

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com