Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Maneaters of Kumaon by James Corbett - discussion thread

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Asia

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
eagle27
.400 member

Reged: 24/01/09
Loc: Nelson, New Zealand
Re: Maneaters of Kumaon by James Corbett - discussion thread [Re: NitroX]
      #368416 - 17/08/22 06:06 PM

Quote:

Where is the photograph of the presentation ceremony? I believe I have seen it many times.

Not saying a/the photo is not around, I've never seen it and it is definitely not in any of Jim's books. The whole thing seems quite puzzling. One would have thought that being presented with a Rigby Mauser .275 for his services in killing a man-eating tiger (tigress) would have been a highlight in young Jim's life and would have rated a mention somewhere in his books.

Likewise, other than the Westley Richards .275 he purchased himself and first using it to try and shoot the Temple Tiger, he never once mentions the 'brand' of the .275 rifle he used over the years during his hunting career, he just refers to a ".275 rifle" in general.

Would be good to get some definitive answers to clear this up. What happened to his Westley Richards, maybe he returned it to Mansons??

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: Maneaters of Kumaon by James Corbett - discussion thread [Re: eagle27]
      #368417 - 17/08/22 06:41 PM

The bloke was quite humble from my reading.

I didn't think the presented rifle was early in his career. But never thought about time lines.

Also maybe the presented rifle hung on the wall as a "trophy" with its engraved plague.

It would be interesting to know some of these questions.

The presentation Rigby having a two stage trigger or not should be easy to answer.

My question remains. I thought Corbett was using a .275 when shooting the tiger one handed at close range. Which rifle was that?

Because I thought Corbett was presented with the Rigby .275 for that tiger? And it was mentioned in that book? Been a while since I have read them all.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Edited by NitroX (17/08/22 10:25 PM)

eagle27
.400 member

#368419 - 17/08/22 07:22 PM

Quote:

The bloke was quite humble from my reading.

I didn't think the presented rifle was early in his career. But never thought about time lines.

Also maybe the presented rifle hung on the wall as a "trophy" with its engraved plague.

It would be interesting to know some of these questions.

The presentation Rigby having a two stage trigger or not should be easy to answer.

My question remains. I thought Corbett was using a .275 when shooting the tiger one handed at close range. Which rifle was that?

Because I thought Corbett was presented with the Rigby .275 for that tiger? And it was mentioned in that book? Been a while since I have read them all.

It was the Chowgarh man-eater tigress Corbett shot one handed with his .275 rifle - Chapter 3 in his book, Man-eaters of Kumaon.

This man-eater claimed 64 victims from 15 December 1925 to 21 March 1930 and Corbett started hunting it in April 1929. He did not manage to kill it after a month trying and resumed his hunt in February 1930 and after some missed shots at the tigress he finally bagged the Chowgarh man-eater on 11th April 1930 by slowly bringing his .275 rifle round and up in an arc using a one handed grip and arm extension until the sights aligned on the crouching tigress a few feet away, a single bullet to the spine and top of the heart finished once and for all the tigress' 5 year killing spree.

Again Corbett only mentions using a .275 rifle, no particular brand given. The killing of the Chowgarh man-eater was 23 years after the so called Rigby presentation 'durbar'.

Edited by NitroX (17/08/22 10:27 PM)

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#368421 - 17/08/22 10:29 PM

Corrected the android auto correct dribble in the quotation as well.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#368423 - 17/08/22 10:48 PM

Thanks for that Eagle. One day must read the stories in their correct time line.

Let's start a Corbett story time line.

Of course didn't he write them till later in life.

Some of the references written by others may refer to some of the questions and answers.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

eagle27
.400 member

#368429 - 18/08/22 08:49 AM

Quote:

Thanks for that Eagle. One day must read the stories in their correct time line.

Let's start a Corbett story time line.

Of course didn't he write them till later in life.

Some of the references written by others may refer to some of the questions and answers.

Unfortunately Jim didn't write his books in chronological order, his first Man-Eaters of Kumaon contains stories of his life over a period of time that he probably thought would be the most interesting to readers, then when this book and he become known and somewhat famous, he wrote subsequent books, again not keeping to any particular timeline. He wasn't always forthcoming with dates for many of his man-eater ventures either but often these dates can be deduced from asides he makes such as 'two years after such and such a man-eater hunt'.

I noted when reading through his books to try and provide insight to some of the questions in this discussion, that Corbett does mention in one of his stories that his .500 Modified Cordite rifle was an underlever hammer gun. Now that would be a good one to own.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#368436 - 18/08/22 07:37 PM

Quote:

The most famous of Rigby’s .275 users is undoubtedly Jim Corbett, who was presented with one in commemoration of his 1907 slaying of a man-eating tiger. He used the rifle to shoot the ‘Man-eating leopard of Rudraprayag’, as well as scores of other animals over the following three decades. Corbett’s rifle now resides in the Rigby collection.

https://www.johnrigbyandco.com/classic-calibres-and-chamberings/

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Hendo
.224 member

Reged: 23/05/18
Loc: South Australia
      #368528 - 22/08/22 05:56 PM

I have an American first edition (1946) given to me as a birthday present from one of my sons. It sits in the bookcase alongside The Man eaters of Tsavo by Patterson on one side and Capsticks Death in the Long grass. All wonderful reading. All worth the effort of tracking down. They made Hemingway appear rather tame.

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 5 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 4088

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com