Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Hunting the Himalayan Ibex

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Asia

Pages: 1
iqbal
resigned as a member

Reged: 05/02/03
Loc: Karachi,Pakistan
Hunting the Himalayan Ibex
      #2995 - 27/05/03 03:48 AM

Hunting the Himalayan Ibex.
In the land of the Himalayas dwells an animal so majestic with its curved knotted horns,so fleet footed it can stand on a small rock on all four feet and so tough it can brave the cold of minus 30* C.that even sighting it let alone hunting it , is a rare pleasure.

About 3 years ago the Wild life Dept for the first time issued a few hunting permits at a cost of US$25000 for foreigners but much less for the local citizens.I managed to get hold of one permit and immediately started preparations for the hunt which was to take place during Dec.& Jan During the winters due to heavy snowfall the animal comes down the mountains in search of food and thats the time it can be hunted.

I started my journey from the port city of Karachi ,flew to Islamabad and drove down to Gilgit a town at a height of 5000 ft..a 15 hr. drive.Here one can get the latest gear related to mountain climbing and camping legacy of various climbing expeditions, members of which,on their way back,dump all their gear at throwaway prices.

The next step was a journey of about 3 hrs.to Hunza,a pictureous little town at 8000 ft.surrounded by the majestic peaks of Nangaparbat,Rakaposhi and the mighty K2 (three of the highest peaks in the world). A stopover of 24 hrs. mainly to get acclimatized and then onto the Kunjareb Pass connecting China to Pakistan.

Milestone showing height of Kunjerab Pass i.e. 15072 ft.

The pass reaches heights of 15000 ft. and at a place called Sust at 14000ft.we stopped at a small resthouse to plan the assault.

Cockskill at height of 15072 ft. near Kunjerab Pass.

Our party consisting of 3 local guides,a game warden and a police guard set out the next day to the place where the animals had been sighted , a trek of 2 hrs. by Jeep and a 3 hr. walk thru valleys and ravines.The next night was spent at a small village at about 16000ft. with no basic amenities and just a fire to keep us warm.Even with my warm Alpine ski suit,layers of thermals,gloves and what not I could not keep the cold out and endured several bouts of shivering.

Valley and ravine, where we searched for the Ibex.

The next morning we again started walking and climbing and around noon spotted the first herd of Ibex at a distance of about 800 yds.There were three good heads in the herd of 9 animals.We started the stalk trying to get downwind and creeping up to within 250 yds. any further and we would have spooked them.My guide advised me to take a shot at the largest animal which according to him had 40 inch plus horns,a definite trophy.My first shot hit the animal in the hip about a foot to the right of where I had aimed but somehow I managed to plug in two more while it was on the run and dropped it It was a fine animal with 44 inch horns and in its prime.

The ugly one is me and handsome one the ibex

Later on I came to know that since my scope was zeroed at sea level it had to be re-zeroed as at very high altitudes it goes off.After the celeberations and handshakes we started back towards the village.It was 4:30 p.m. and starting to get dark& suddenly the wind picked up,the windchill factor dropped and it became freezingly cold.My guides advised me not to stop moving in fact they told me to hop & jump to keep the circulation going or else I would get hypothermia. We were to forced to take refuge in a cave around a fire & stayed up the whole night as sleep was not possible. In the morning we started back once again & on the way came across some snow pheasants, a rare and beautiful bird, two of which I dropped as they are very good eating.

The return journey to Karachi was ofcourse an anticlimax except for the euphoria and satisfaction of having hunted a majestic animal.

K-2, Height 28250ft., second highest mountain in the world

Iqbal - I have shifted your post to the new DVD "Hunting Story" competition from the Hunt Reports competition. Thanks for the interesting story. NitroX

Edited by NitroX (04/06/03 07:52 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
JackKnife
.224 member

Reged: 18/05/03
Loc: Melbourne, Dixieland
Re: Hunting the Himalayan Ibex [Re: iqbal]
      #3053 - 30/05/03 11:03 AM

iqbal

what sort of rifle and caliber were you using, and what brand of scope?

That hunt sounds fantastic. In the Himalayas no less. I bet getting the Ibex down off the mountain was a feat.

Why the police guard? Are there bandits up there or something?

--------------------
Jack Knife

AspenHill
Sponsor

Reged: 08/01/03
Loc: Vermont, USA
      #3063 - 30/05/03 11:14 PM

Excellent story, it must have been quite an adventure!

--------------------
~Ann

Everyday spent outdoors is the best day of my life.

Aspen Hill Adventures

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
      #3064 - 31/05/03 12:23 AM

Iqbal

That sounds like quite an adventure.

That night you spent outside sounds like murder. I have spent a night out in the bush in low temperatures - only about 4 deg C - and only in shorts and a thin short sleeved shirt. Luckily a mate had brought some matches so it wasn't as serious as it could be. Talk about being well prepared, we were not. But in the Himalayas !!!!! No way.

I would really reallly like to see some photos of your ibex and the countryside where you hunted if you have some.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

iqbal
resigned as a member

Reged: 05/02/03
Loc: Karachi,Pakistan
      #3066 - 31/05/03 12:57 AM

To answer all your questions i was using a 7mm.mag zeroed at 200 meters with a Zeiss 2.5x10x50 scope,150 grs.Nosler ballistic tips(hand loaded by me).The police guard was merely a precaution as the area is in the tribal belt and moreover the Dy.Inspector General of the police of that area is a personal friend.
NitroX,i do have all the pictures and after recieving instructions from you am tring to post them,however i am quite a novice when it comes to computers and it will take a little time.Getting the ibex down was no problem as the locals are used to it and believe me those mountain men are really tough.

Edited by iqbal (31/05/03 01:00 AM)

Miller
.275 member

Reged: 01/05/03
Loc: Sydney, NSW AUS
      #3073 - 31/05/03 08:56 AM

Iqbal;

What an experience! I can tell you that I would have been passed-out on the ground, The last time I was above 10,000ft I blacked out. Must be age catching up to me. I now live about 5 minutes from some of the worlds most renown beaches, but I can tell you that they pale in comparision to being at 12,000ft above the tree line in the alpine meadows. I drive 3 -4 hours every weekend to get out in the mountains, just to feel the rush of wind through my hair and smell the crisp clean mountain air.

Congratulation on your trophy. I am looking forward to seeing your photos.

Lynn Miller

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: Hunting the Himalayan Ibex [Re: Miller]
      #3190 - 04/06/03 07:06 PM

Stay tuned !!!!!

I will soon post Iqbal's magnifient photos of his Himalayan Hunt.

Thanks for sending them Iqbal. I really enjoyed seeing them and am sure everyone will as well.

Give me a bit of time to prepare them for the internet and upload them. They will be in Iqbal's story above.

You are a very lucky fellow to hunt in the Himalayas and must also have some very stout lungs.

(PS Like the ski suit as well )

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

AspenHill
Sponsor

Reged: 08/01/03
Loc: Vermont, USA
Re: Hunting the Himalayan Ibex [Re: NitroX]
      #3196 - 04/06/03 11:02 PM

Wow, those photos are absolutely awesome! Thanks for sharing them.

--------------------
~Ann

Everyday spent outdoors is the best day of my life.

Aspen Hill Adventures

WyoHunter
.224 member

Reged: 20/04/03
Loc: Central Wyoming, USA
      #3782 - 12/07/03 10:09 AM

An excellent story and beautiful Ibex! You earned your trophy and experienced a hunt many of us can only dream of doing!

--------------------
Hunting's a lifestyle and a passion not a competition!

NRA Life Member

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 7 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Topic views: 4264

You rated this topic a 5.
Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com