Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: India and S.E. Asia

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Asia

Pages: 1
Taos
.300 member

Reged: 09/05/04
Loc: Nevada, U.S.A.
India and S.E. Asia
      #17688 - 08/08/04 04:28 AM

I have always had a facination with that part of the world when it comes to hunting.Reading about the big game hunting in the past from that area it sounds like it was great then. I hear that most of that part of the world is closed to hunting. Are any big game hunts happening in that part of the world? What a loss if it is all gone..

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
iqbal
resigned as a member

Reged: 05/02/03
Loc: Karachi,Pakistan
Re: India and S.E. Asia [Re: Taos]
      #17704 - 08/08/04 07:33 PM

Taos,there was a time when India and S.E.Asia were renown for big game hunting especially during the British Raj.Who can forget the days of the great Jim Corbett and others like him.Alas those days are now gone and hunting of all sorts is prohibited in India and some other countries.Perhaps it will open some time in the future but nothing is certain.The royal bengal tiger still thrives in the sunder bunds of Bangla Desh and the game reserves of Ranthambore in Rajhastan but it can only be shot with a camera.In Pakistan hunting is allowed but there is no big game available excepy for endangered species like the snow leopard,brown bear etc.
Hunting of other animals like the Marco Polo sheep,himalayan ibex,blue sheep markhor,nilghaiand urial is permitted on a limited scale and these are also great hunts.

Taos
.300 member

Re: India and S.E. Asia [Re: iqbal]
      #17713 - 09/08/04 01:52 AM

Do you get to hunt any of theses species?are there any hunting operations in existence? how would one go about checking out the opportunities there? Thanks for your reply!

470Rigby
.333 member

Reged: 23/02/04
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Re: India and S.E. Asia [Re: iqbal]
      #17723 - 09/08/04 09:33 AM

Iqbal

In reply to:

.The royal bengal tiger still thrives in the sunder bunds of Bangla Desh and the game reserves of Ranthambore in Rajhastan

I don't know about the Sunderbands, but the Tiger is under threat even in Ranthambhore. I spent five days there once (armed with a camera) and the closest I came to one were some "pug marks" just inside the front gate! Curious??

Some Indian students studying in Australia that had family interests in the Hotel Industry in Rajasthan later told me that some German hunters had bribed their way into the park to hunt. As I recall, about six Tigers were taken! They were apprehended with their trophies when leaving India, but I never saw anything reported in the media - but knowing India, I am inclined to believe it!

iqbal
resigned as a member

#17733 - 09/08/04 09:24 PM

Taos,i have hunted all the non dangerous species available in Pakistan except the snow leopard for which i spent two nights in freezing weather but the animal did not turn up.The hunting here is now well regulated and one can get permits for himalayan ibex,marco polo,urial and markhor.Permits are issued in Sept.at prices ranging from US$25000 and up.If you are interested i can get you the details.

iqbal
resigned as a member

Re: India and S.E. Asia [Re: 470Rigby]
      #17735 - 09/08/04 09:34 PM

470,the tiger in the Sunderbunds does exist and even though it is on the endangered list you can get permission to bag one but only through the prime minister of the country.My good friend Zulfi Effendi(late)presented a Merc.to one of the former rulers,Gen.Arshad, for permission to hunt a tiger in the bunds and was allowed but unfortunately before he could reach there the General was overthrown.What a waste of a Merc.
The moral of the story is "if you have the cash and are willing to spend it you can do almost anything".

mehulkamdar
.416 member

Reged: 09/01/04
Loc: State of Ill-Annoy USA.
      #18267 - 21/08/04 05:45 AM

Taos,

There is very liittle trophy hunting in India unless you count some of the monster wild boar that we are allowed to hunt on crop protection permits as trophies.

However, if you are interested in hunting sheep and mountain goat, there are options in Nepal I have heard of Nepalese hunts being offered there by US based companies. That said, there is currently a bloody civil war on in Nepal with Communists fighting the Royal army and you may not be very safe in the more remote areas of Mustang etc where the hunting is lilely to be the best.

Good hunting!

--------------------
The Ark was made by amateurs. Experts built the Titanic.

Mehul Kamdar

Taos
.300 member

Re: India and S.E. Asia [Re: mehulkamdar]
      #18273 - 21/08/04 06:38 AM

Gentlemen,

Thanks for your informative posts. It has always been a dream of mine to go there and do some hunting. I never nreally expect it to come true but I sure like to think about it a bit. It sounds like if you have enough cash that it could be done.

I find it very sad that the whole area seems to have little concern for its once abundant game animals.

DPhillips
.375 member

Reged: 09/10/03
Loc: Alaska
Re: India and S.E. Asia [Re: mehulkamdar]
      #18317 - 22/08/04 02:03 PM

Is there hunting for black buck or Guar, anymore? A mature Guar bull is a very impressive looking animal.

Mario
.224 member

Reged: 10/09/03
      #18362 - 23/08/04 08:20 PM

Except the Tiger, Sheep and Goat, I think sholud be very interesting hunt the Sambar, Axis, Barasingha, and maybe the Buffalo, in the original habitat.
I dont. know if possible in Nepal, in Pakistan or in other countries.

shrike
.224 member

Reged: 16/07/04
      #22497 - 22/12/04 04:43 AM

The other day I read in one of the "Lonely planet books on Burma, that this country has the highest tiger population in S.E. Asia, as well as multitudes of other wildlife.
It could be true, since Burma has not seen any major wars since the second world war.m Wildlife had a chance to flourish there. There are some minor insurgencies in the border areas.
Have no idea about whether they allow hunting for foreigners. Could check that out with their embassy.
The country is now called MYANMAR.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: India and S.E. Asia [Re: shrike]
      #22504 - 22/12/04 09:25 AM

In reply to:

since Burma has not seen any major wars since the second world war.m Wildlife had a chance to flourish there. There are some minor insurgencies in the border areas.
Have no idea about whether they allow hunting for foreigners.

The Burmese highlands have been nothing BUT warfare for decades! At one time there were over 28 warlords with 28 armies controlling the highlands and all disputing each other and the central government. From the Karens to the UDA. Some warlords and armies were entirely drug trade based, others philosophical and looking for independence from Rangoon. The Central government had next to no control of the highlands at all.

I have known people to enter the highlands and have a battle going on on one hill while they were on another, on a tourist trek. No thanks!

When I entered Burma in 1996 in the Highlands of the Golden Triangle and visited a border market there were leopard skins and tiger pizzles for sale at numerous stalls. I have video footage of the stalls taken discretely. If any wildlife survives in these Asian countries where animal life is rated as just a sellable commoditity and no worth in itself it would be very lucky.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

mehulkamdar
.416 member

Reged: 09/01/04
Loc: State of Ill-Annoy USA.
Re: India and S.E. Asia [Re: DPhillips]
      #22649 - 25/12/04 11:49 AM

DPhillips,

India had an abundant Gaur population but it was almost wiped out by a rinderpest epidemic in the early 1980s. They have made a comeback of sorts but hunting them has been banned for mroe than 30 years now. As far as blackbuck are concerned, they are highly endangered in India though several US ranches have managed to breed them successfully enough in semi wilderness conditions and allow very good hunting.

Recently the state of Chhatisgarh sold boar permits to international hunters for the first time in many years at $ 50 a permit. I understand some states have huge Nilgai populations and are planning to allow hunts on pressure from farmers. The system in India is to classify an animal on a crop protection permit for hunting first and then allow non farmers to hunt it if the crop protection licenses don't work.

Best wishes,

Mehul Kamdar.

--------------------
The Ark was made by amateurs. Experts built the Titanic.

Mehul Kamdar

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 4 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2337

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com