Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: NitroExpress.com Big Bore Boar Hunt

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Australia, NZ & the South Pacific

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
NitroExpress.com Big Bore Boar Hunt
      #425 - 01/05/03 02:48 PM

Something I posted on previously and now that Africa is out of the way , I would like to see if we could organise something.

NitroExpress.com Big Bore Boar Hunt 2003

The Plan
Hunt pigs in NSW with calibres on .358 or larger. And with blades as well, I hope. Or with smaller calibres, but these persons need to supply all the beer (only joking).

Calibres
I'm hoping to have a .458 Win Mag to add to my .375 H&H by then. And a great big spear if mine arrives in time. But can I run fast enough?

Can we find a 577 Tyrannosaur or a 585 Nyati? What about a 500 Nitro?

The Place
Find a property in NSW. Perhaps use a property through a booking agency or if a member can supply a property contact - Fantastic.

The Date
Southern Hemisphere Winter. Perhaps June or July for about 5 to 7 days hunting.

Who
Any NE.com member that wants to. Depending on whether we get a stampede we will have to see how many can be accomodated. No idea on this at the moment. International members welcome. I will hunt alone if necessary and slay all the piggies myself. If the hunt is a goer for a group, a deposit may need to be payable to secure a place.

From where
I will start from near Adelaide, but we can see how anyone interested can get there.

Guided?
Nope. Self-guided. Do own cooking, gutting, cleaning, driving and shooting. Depending on properties, use tents or shearers quarters (if available).

Now is anyone interested? Then we can look at dates and also where to hunt.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
gryphon
.450 member

Reged: 01/01/03
Loc: Sambar ground/Victoria/Austral...
Re: NitroExpress.com Big Bore Boar Hunt [Re: NitroX]
      #556 - 06/01/03 01:05 PM

I like the idea but due to "the tyranny of distance" here in Oz it makes it hard to get together--unless the hunt is in Qld lol.For some of us members it could be a days drive to where ever the hunt is.

--------------------
Get off the chair away from the desk and get out in the bush and enjoy life.

Bigfive
Sponsor

Reged: 06/01/03
Loc: Freestate,South-Africa
      #591 - 07/01/03 12:11 AM

NitroX,

That sounds good as long as the costs is kept as low as possible.You know us guys here in Africa battle with the finances.But I'd love to join in on a hunt like that.Hope my 460 wil do ok.

--------------------
"Hunting is a way of life"
Bigfive,South Africa

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: NitroExpress.com Big Bore Boar Hunt [Re: Bigfive]
      #771 - 11/01/03 01:20 AM

BigFive

This trip will hopefully be in the winter months - June to Augiust, maybe September.

If you get over here in Sept or Oct for the Rugby, we'll see what we an organise.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

EXPRESS
.224 member

Reged: 03/02/03
Loc: Italy
      #1577 - 10/02/03 07:42 PM

NitroX I should be over around then, don't mind the travel and can most likely get access to a very good though smallish (15,000) acre place at Yantabulla, which is, back o' Bourke. Last time I was there with a friend we took 30 pigs, - left the little stuff and sows alone.

They are'nt big pigs, but they have nice tusks, and there are lots of them about.

Keep in touch,
Joe

Bigfive
Sponsor

Re: NitroExpress.com Big Bore Boar Hunt [Re: EXPRESS]
      #1582 - 10/02/03 10:36 PM

Hi NitroX,
I've got such a lot of things that I want to do.At this stage the boar hunt sounds like the best proposition for me.Even if I have to leave out the rugby,I'll do anything for a this boar hunt of yours.Come back to me on costs if you have worked out anything.

--------------------
Bigfive,South Africa

Bigfive
Sponsor

Re: NitroExpress.com Big Bore Boar Hunt [Re: Bigfive]
      #1600 - 12/02/03 12:20 AM

If I can go on this boar hunt I've already talked one of my hunting friends here to come with me.Also talked him into joining this website.He is an old Rhodesian living in South-Africa now.He is very keen on this idea.

--------------------
Bigfive,South Africa

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

NitroExpress.com Big Bore Boar Hunt [Re: Bigfive]
      #2578 - 01/05/03 02:48 PM

OK I had to let this slip over vintage as I had too many things going at once.

I made some enquiries yesterday and will report back soon.

I am looking at using a hunting property agency and organising a property preferably in NSW in June, July or even August.

I suppose the main thing is to set a date first, as long as a good property is available and then see who wants to and can attend.

Any particular preferences of what dates you have available - if you are interested - please let me know asap. I'm flexible myself as to dates.

I may even have a nice .450 double to play with on this trip .

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Miller
.275 member

Reged: 01/05/03
Loc: Sydney, NSW AUS
      #2793 - 13/05/03 06:19 PM

NitroX,

I would love to come, but I am just getting my shooter's application in the mail on Monday, the 19th of May, so if it takes the typical 10 weeks to process, that puts me at the end of July before I can even shoot. So if the date comes up in August, I will plan to be there.

As for a firearm, I may have a 7X57 that I am buying locally, but my .375 will still be on it ways from the US, so I will not have a big bore of my own to use, unfortunately, unless one sticks its head up between now and then and I cannot resist temptation.

So it is August for me, cause I am not just going to come along just to cook!!!

Lynn

Not to be difficult, but I cannot miss my daughters first birthday on the 6th of August, or I may as well stay in the bush.

ORION
.275 member

Reged: 25/01/03
Loc: SSouth Australia
Re: NitroExpress.com Big Bore Boar Hunt [Re: Miller]
      #2919 - 22/05/03 10:15 PM

Dear Nitrox,

I would be very interessted to come on your wild pig hunt.

Please keep me posted.I have a Blaser .375 H&H to bring
along.
Waidmansheil!
Martin

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: NitroExpress.com Big Bore Boar Hunt [Re: ORION]
      #2934 - 24/05/03 01:55 PM

Martin

You are certainly welcome. And I would love to have a look at your Blaser 375 as well one day. Is it a R93 switch barrel?

--------------------
John aka NitroX

NitroExpressComAdministrator
.275 member

Reged: 24/12/02
Loc: NitroExpress.com
      #3010 - 28/05/03 12:50 AM

OK some information.

I have been talking to Matt from Outdoor Hunting Adventures which is an agency that books out hunting properties on a per day per person basis.

The property he is suggesting is just over the Queensland border from NSW near Barringun/Cunnamulla on the Mitchell Hwy. The property is 120,000 acres and is level to unulating mainly black and red soil country with plenty of lignum and fronts the Warrego River. Game available includes pigs, fox, cats and rabbits. A goat or two for meat or a trophy may be available. The farmers there can sell goats for a decent price so if you want to shoot several expect to pay per animal (Goats are subject to confirmation).

The price is straight from OHA and is $50 per person per night (or $60 is you want to use accomodation - shearers quarters quality level). Personally I plan to camp away somewhere and suggest a camping setup is preferable. A deposit of $99 is payable for the booking and a minimum $299 total for a booking.

Note Matt mentioned the drought has affected pig numbers quite severely this year. The Warrego River has flowed for a while and there is waterholes along it. Occasional light rains have occurred but the area is still in drought. The last party at this property saw and took eleven pigs. So that gives you an idea on numbers to expect. He recommends this property as being the best available with the best chance at pigs in this year.

Dates and how long
So I am still proposing to go if there is sufficient interest. A booking on the property finishes on the 13th of June and Matt recommends a gap of a couple of weeks before the next one which sounds OK to me. I think about 5 days hunting and perhaps 6 nights would be a good idea starting around the 27th, 28th or 29th of June - say 5 to 7 days beginning Sunday 29 June to Saturday 5th of July. That leaves a day for travelling each side.

I'm fairly flexible (will need to check some dates myself) but if people interested can indicate -
  • are they still interested or not, and
  • if these dates are OK or prefer other dates.

If the dates are simply impossible but you want to go please indicate WHEN is better for you and the hunt MAY be postponed to a later date.

Firming up participants - I want to firm up numbers in the next two or three days - note a deposit will be required to secure your place. I suggest $50 per person. I will pay the OHA deposit (if you can not go and if that does not result in any loss to any other participant - your deposit will be returned). While I would like to have around three or four persons I may go myself if necessary. I want some time in the bush.

The balance of your share of the cost will need to be paid when we arrive at the property.

Alternative properties - if you have an alternative property, perhaps a free one , please let me know asap, but ensure it is actually available and has some chance of game being present.

Big Bores - if you can bring a big bore - say a .35 or above it would be great and fun, but if you do not have one, bringing your normal hunting rifle is fine for this first trip.

Transport
I will be setting off from South Australia - from near Adelaide and anyone from this area can share my vehicle if they wish. People leaving from other areas will need to have their own transport. I suggest we will have a meeting point somewhere - perhaps a pub the evening before and drive to the property together.

Future
While this year may not be ideal beause of the drought I am hoping to turn the NitroExpress.com Big Bore Boar Hunt into an annual event.

Any comments or ideas - please share.

Note - NitroExpress.com nor am I receiving any benefit from this hunt - other than some time in the bush. This is a hunt for fun only.

--------------------

NitroExpress.com

gryphon
.450 member

Re: NitroExpress.com Big Bore Boar Hunt [Re: NitroExpressCom]
      #3014 - 28/05/03 08:12 AM

Sounds bloody good to me Nitro but i have nodded my head to Ian from Boardogs.com to have a few days with him around the same time as your hunt--he was taking me into a private zone of 15000 acres at Inverell--no fee`s and it carries pigs and two deer species and i have a trip south to Melb just before so that takes care of my available hunting funds for now---back as a single man i would hunt both places lol.

--------------------

Miller
.275 member

Re: NitroExpress.com Big Bore Boar Hunt [Re: gryphon]
      #3046 - 29/05/03 05:35 PM

NitroX,

I wouild like to come, but I have just sent in my application and doing the math, there is no way I will have my license by the end of June(If only). So I am afraid I will have to bow out this time, although, if you are passing through Sydney, I would love to meet and spin a few yarns over a drink.

Next year...

Lynn Miller

JackKnife
.224 member

Reged: 18/05/03
Loc: Melbourne, Dixieland
Re: NitroExpress.com Big Bore Boar Hunt [Re: Miller]
      #3052 - 30/05/03 10:57 AM

Would love to come but cant make it this winter.

Could have brought my 375 or 458. Would be deadly on pigs don't you think?

--------------------
Jack Knife

gryphon
.450 member

Re: NitroExpress.com Big Bore Boar Hunt [Re: JackKnife]
      #3056 - 30/05/03 04:31 PM

only if you are one of the few that can hold `em steady

--------------------

ORION
.275 member

#3059 - 30/05/03 07:37 PM

Hi John,

yes,my Blaser has two barrels.One in 7mmRM the other
.375 H&H
Looks like its only you and me!!!!
Keep me posted.
Waidmannsheil! Martin

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#3060 - 30/05/03 08:21 PM

Martin - thanks for the comment. If it turns out to be just two of us, it will make it easy!

My .375 is in Victoria at the moment in several pieces. My new double will hopefully soon be in my hands, but needs some loads developed and my .577/.450 has no dies yet.

But one of them will be ready in time, I hope.

To everyone - I have sent an email to the original persons who expressed interest.

Some of you, especially those based overseas, may have made a comment in jest or may obviously find it difficult ot attend. Included all those who expressed just in case so as to not miss anyone out.

The date above was a suggestion just to get it started. End of July is attractive as well, but if anyone is interested and needs to discuss let us know asap.

Good hunting everyone.

PS Lynn Miller - if you have a foreign firearms licence, won't that do for the legalities? I think non-residents can still hunt. As for a rifle I have at least one spare . It won't be a big bore, but a 6.5 mm will kill pigs without any problem whatsoever.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Miller
.275 member

#3061 - 30/05/03 09:12 PM

NitroX,

Unfortunately, I have been here too long to be eligible for the "tourist" clause, plus, I am a permanent resident of Australia, so that option is not open to me. Also, there is no such thing as a shooters license in the US, just being a US citizen entitles you to own a gun, although in some states if you want to pack "iron", you need a concealed weapons permit.

Thanks for the offer of letting me use one of your rifles, it is much appreciated.

Lynn Miller

ORION
.275 member

Re: NitroExpress.com Big Bore Boar Hunt [Re: NitroExpressCom]
      #3077 - 31/05/03 09:17 PM

Hi John,

June or July is o.k. with me.i have a Toyota Troopie
and can take one person,just let me know.
Weidmannsheil!
Martin

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#3185 - 04/06/03 05:09 PM

OK I will phone the people that have expressed interest on the web or by email and we can have a quick look at the days and fix them between us and then the booking.

People having expressed interest are:

NitroX
Orion
BwanaBob
Friend of Bwana

Four is a good round number if everything works out.

More importantly we may between us be taking 3 x .375 H&H Mags, 2 x .450s, a .500 Jeffrey and a .585 Nyati !!!

This will be great if all of these turn up (with their owners too of course).

--------------------
John aka NitroX

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: NitroExpress.com Big Bore Boar Hunt-Orion? [Re: NitroX]
      #3295 - 11/06/03 09:31 PM

Orion

I am trying to contact you to organise the hunt - tried your email but the messages bounced back.

Can you email me your telephone number or give me a call - from the video emails - you should have my phone number.

Thanks

--------------------
John aka NitroX

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#3422 - 23/06/03 11:18 PM

Just an update. After speaking on the phone to the persons interested the hunt will take place at the end of July. Final dates and bookings are being organised.

Three to four persons looking at attending which is a nice manageable number.

Should be fun.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

ORION
.275 member

#3432 - 24/06/03 06:10 PM

Hi Nitro,
have you finalized a date for the hunt?
Let me know as I have to tie up a few loose ends.
Please give me a ring.
Waidmansheil! Orion

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

NitroExpress.com Big Bore Boar Hunt FINALLY SET [Re: ORION]
      #3442 - 26/06/03 07:15 PM

The 2003 NitroExpress.com Big Bore Boar Hunt has finally been set

Orion
BwanaBob
and a friend
plus myself

Possibly with a 9.3 mm, several .375's, a couple of .450, a .470, and maybe even a .500 and .585 (if ready in time). Or some combination of the above

Will be setting off from Adelaide and Sydney and meeting at the Walgett area of New South Wales for up to a week to blast a few porkers with big bore cannons.

9th of August to the 15th of August.

(PS Miller - these new dates may work in with you now (?), please email me if you are interested in attending)

--------------------
John aka NitroX

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: NitroExpress.com Big Bore Boar Hunt IS GO [Re: NitroX]
      #3987 - 05/08/03 10:34 AM

Less than a week away.

Orion and I will be off on Thursday to make the long drive over to the Walgett area in NSW.

BwanaBob and a friend will be setting off from Sydney.

A variety of big bores and other firearms look to be used. Not the .450 NE unfortunately due to reloading die problems. But that will leave that cannon to be used for a more suitable purpose next year .

A report and photos will be posted when we return.

Good Hunting everyone in the meantime.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

ORION
.275 member

Re: NitroExpress.com Big Bore Boar Hunt IS GO [Re: NitroX]
      #4068 - 26/08/03 08:27 PM

To the hunters who couldnt come to the bore hunt

You missed out on a terrific exiting trip!!!!

Nitro brought same excellent wine along,to celebrate our

success .Let me tell you Nitro really can shoot his .375

He is one of the best off hand shooter I have ever seen.

Im sure he will post some pictures very soon.

Waidmannsheil! Orion

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: NitroExpress.com Big Bore Boar Hunt IS GO [Re: ORION]
      #4074 - 28/08/03 07:54 PM

Orion

Thanks for your kind comments.

I know you are eager for the photos to be posted but it has been a very busy two weeks, In fact I'm out for several more hours tonight having come in to warm up and eat something. Looks like a cold night tonight - down to 3 deg C or less - but have to get something down before the weather changes. Hopefully tommorrow will be free (plus some sleep).

Next week - the "lovely" jury service - if I have not got out of it before or when I arrive.

Will have to bring the laptop. Perhaps instead of watching soap operas on the TV while waiting, I can write up some stories

Will get some photos up for you very soon.

See this thread

Story and photos - thread

PS Regarding the off hand shooting - got to be lucky sometime - also the reason I will be using the .375 (and .450) on pigs. As meat damage is not an issue, great practice. Next I want to find some roos on permit for running practice.

PPS Orion - I thought you did pretty well with the 7mm STW dropping the pigs when I missed or wounded them too.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Edited by NitroX (01/09/03 12:07 AM)

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 10 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Topic views: 4858

You rated this topic a 5.
Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com