Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Is a 6.5x54mm adequate for Water Buffalo?

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Australia, NZ & the South Pacific

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
mickey
.416 member

Reged: 05/01/03
Loc: Pend Oreille Valley, Idaho
Re: Is a 6.5x54mm adequate for Water Buffalo? [Re: rgp]
      #41916 - 19/11/05 11:09 AM

In reply to:

This is interesting. Does anyone know if he was using the 6.5 to shoot any cape buffalo he felt like shooting, or was he intentionally selecting younger/smaller animals for better tasting meat?

Richard, does it matter? He did shoot a number of Elephants with the 6.5 and he was picking them out for the size of the Ivory.

--------------------
Lovu Zdar
Mick

A Man of Pleasure, Enterprise, Wit and Spirit Rare Books, Big Game Hunting, English Rifles, Fishing, Explosives, Chauvinism, Insensitivity, Public Drunkenness and Sloth, Champion of Lost and Unpopular Causes.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
rgp
.333 member

Reged: 17/06/04
Loc: TX & VIC
Re: Is a 6.5x54mm adequate for Water Buffalo? [Re: mickey]
      #41917 - 19/11/05 11:20 AM

Mickey,

Considering what you just mentioned, I suspect he was probably comfortable using his 6.5 on anything that moves...

Richard

mlg
.275 member

Reged: 19/03/05
Loc: Queensland, Australia
Re: Is a 6.5x54mm adequate for Water Buffalo? [Re: rgp]
      #41922 - 19/11/05 12:56 PM

I have read somewhere that the reason he used small calibers was becuase he disliked recoil of big bores.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: Is a 6.5x54mm adequate for Water Buffalo? [Re: mlg]
      #42057 - 21/11/05 01:30 PM

If I remember whom the author was and I think it was Bell (I may be wrong, if needed I will check), he once recommended the .318 Westley Richards as a good choice for penetration and a .450 double as an elephant rifle. Though he took only a .318 WR and a lighter rifle.

His "Karamojo" hunting was influenced in my opinion by a number of factors (IMO):

1. He was hunting fairly undisturbed game. The game was not familiar with modern firearms and a rifle report, especially from a smaller rifle did not scare them much. Allowing more elephants (and presumably buffalo) to be taken.

2. He was hunting in high grass. He tried shooting big bores off a tripod or a black's shoulders but the recoil knocked him off.

3. The bullets he used had high sectional densities and great penetration abilities.

4. He studied the anatomy of the game and the precise angle of shot needed to reach the brain or vitals.

5. If an elephant (or buffalo) ran away he lost the ivory (or meat) and it did NOT cost him an expensive trophy fee like it would be us today.

So the historical irony I feel is very apt. Using an appropriate bullet with good penetrating ability, a very careful and closely stalked shot, the buffalo will die.

The 6.5x54 mm M-S can be MADE to be adequate IMO. Except in the 1-5% of occasions when a buffalo might get "touchy" and come for you. Then the 6.5mm shooter had better hope for a good brain shot, he would probably only get one chance.

My opinion is the 6.5 mm (.264) calibre is the absolute minimum anyone would even comtemplate using, but there are always exceptions.

Would I recommend it? NO! My recomendation is always "Most PHs and Guides recommend a client brings a .375 H&H Magnum or similar or larger calibre, one that they are comfortable with shooting."

Especially if NOT hunting with a guide who may have a larger rifle (ie in the .375 to .458 class).

Also many clients main objective is to hunt a good buffalo bull, perhaps a very nice trophy. The hunting is the main objective.

Occasionally a client or hunter has a different main objective. Like Orion he has a new 'vintage' rifle and wanted to use it. Some guys (or girls) think a stick, some string and a twig with feathers on it is "adequate". And would rather bow hunt than use a more certain method. I'm still waiting for some guys to carry through with their bragging and spear hunt a water buffalo. Still waiting!

Good luck to everyone with their buffalo hunting. Myself I will probably stick to my 9.3mm and .450.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

ORION
.275 member

Reged: 25/01/03
Loc: SSouth Australia
Re: Is a 6.5x54mm adequate for Water Buffalo? [Re: NitroX]
      #42081 - 21/11/05 10:14 PM

DARYL S

I THANK YOU

WEI HEI

ORION

lapua
.333 member

Reged: 15/05/05
Loc: Australia
hello Alan [Re: ALAN_MCKENZIE]
      #58318 - 05/06/06 10:21 AM

Hi mate I meet you a couple times down in Pinjarra shoot

You brought in 2 .500 Jeffery from SA could you email me your contact no. mate, some Q's about those rifles.

Cheers

laupa ex 10th LH

--------------------
Cheers

lapua

ADF VETERAN ARMY

Lest We Forget

ORION
.275 member

Reged: 25/01/03
Loc: SSouth Australia
Re: hello Alan [Re: lapua]
      #59504 - 01/07/06 11:58 PM

Hi,
just come back from a camel hunt and im happy to report
that the 6.5x54 MS was
BIG ENOUGH
WiHi
Orion

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: hello Alan [Re: ORION]
      #59515 - 02/07/06 04:26 AM

Orion

As if there would be any doubt.

Another trip to the Simpson?

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 5 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Topic views: 18757

You rated this topic a 5.
Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com