Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: 20 tips for better hunting results

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Australia, NZ & the South Pacific

Pages: 1
NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
20 tips for better hunting results
      #375358 - 21/03/23 06:55 PM

https://sportingshooter.com.au/hunting-skills/20-hunting-tips-for-better-results/

20 tips for better hunting results

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: 20 tips for better hunting results [Re: NitroX]
      #375359 - 21/03/23 06:56 PM

20 hunting tips for better results
Marcus O'Dean by Marcus O'Dean7 months ago7 months ago
You’ll know a few of these crucial hunting skills but not all of them! Making a habit of them will ensure your hunts go better than ever.

1. If walking in flat to rolling terrain, before you start, work out the prevailing wind direction and plan your hunt walking into it, taking in likely spots for game on the way.

2. In hills in sunny weather, the prevailing wind will eddy around ridges and gullies, meaning you must change direction often. When you suddenly feel the wind on the back of your neck, re-evaluate.

3. In less windy weather, air currents will rise up hills in the morning and start to descend in the cool of the afternoon.

4. Walk slowly and pause every 50 metres or less to observe, glass and check the wind.

5. If you spot game and they haven’t seen you, stop dead still and wait a few seconds, then slowly crouch and evaluate.

6. Wear mitts to conceal pale, moving hands. Don’t wave your hands around.

7. Light rain is really good to do close-in stalks as the rain conceals your footfall and softens brittle leaves and twigs.

8. Still hunting and glassing can be a very effective, particularly from a high position at dawn.

9. Do not silhouette yourself by walking ridge tops. Select one side and contour around just below the ridge.

10. Although dawn and dusk are known as the magic hours, many good animals are shot in full daylight, so persist and go gently all day.

11. Animals will stay out longer after a frosty night or after rain. Hunt sunny spots in the morning, where they may be warming themselves.

12. If you are drawing a blank, think food, water and shelter, the three things animals seek. Let that guide your approach.

13. In rain, close your bolt on an empty chamber and carry muzzle down. Electrician’s tape over the muzzle keeps water and crap out of the bore.

14. Never close a de-cocked bolt on a live round, as the firing pin is in hard contact with the primer. Carry it bolt closed on an empty chamber or bolt open until in the final stages of your stalk.

15. When you have to take the shot on still or slowly walking game, remember that you will have a few seconds to take a shot, so take an extra second to position yourself better, settle and take the perfect shot.

16. When you plan your stalk, look at terrain features and stage your stalk, ending where you can adopt a well-concealed, rested position.

17. When stalking in a group, go in single file, as you only present one profile into the wind for visual detection. Moving side by side halves your chances.

18. If you are stalking goats, remember each mob always has a sharp-eyed nanny posted a sentry and you need to stay well concealed from it.

19. If you are stalking in on a pig, which has poor sight, walk quietly into the wind towards it while it has its head down, but freeze as soon as it lifts its head. When it resumes feeding, get going again.

20. You can mask your scent to a good degree with eucalyptus and/or tea tree oil spray. Don’t use deodorant or aftershave and wash in plain water with minimal soap.

23. You can mask your scent to a good degree with eucalyptus and/or tea tree oil spray. Don’t use deodorant or aftershave and wash in plain water with minimal soap.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: 20 tips for better hunting results [Re: NitroX]
      #375380 - 22/03/23 03:17 AM

I saw a 'joke' once of a couple bucks talking. One said to the other, there's 2 hunters over there stinking of stale doe urine. There's another in that tree, who smells like a skunk.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: 20 tips for better hunting results [Re: DarylS]
      #375393 - 22/03/23 05:49 PM

Pretty basic stuff. But good for newbies.

Carry a rifle with an empty chamber?

No I'm not a range shooter, I'm a hunter. I want my rifle ready if an animal suddenly appears in front of me.

I was on a rough walked up pheasant where the host insisted all shotguns be carried broken and then snapped shut force shit when a pheasant broke. Excessive risk adverse fuckwittery. Safeties should be used. Good safe gun handling. Repeat offenders, eject from your group. Or ask them specifically to be the ones carrying their gun open. The embarrassment of being singled out may cause attitude adjustment.

Don't close an unclocked bolt on a live round in the chamber. The firing pin will rest on the primer. ???

Is this true? Don't primers rebound! They're not loose sliding around and even protruding resting on a primer. Or are they? Any particular rifles at fault.

I know an undocked rifle may be capable of discharging, eg thump the rifle down on its butt.

I quite like rifles which can be uncocked. Break open gunscwith hammers. Modern double rifles like the Krieghof have decockers rather than safeties. My Mauser M03 also has a decocker rather than a safety.

The wind stuff is basic but useful for newbies.

The scent masking? Dogs can determine different scents from a "cocktail" of scents. I think a lot of animals can smell human scent irrespective of soap use or not. The use of soaps etc comes mainly from a humans scent ability eg scenting a Vietnamese diet sweating from human skins in the jungles of Vietnam. Same as scenting humans in the Guerilla wars of Africa. Special forces often will avoid soaps, and other stong scents which other humans might pick up.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

85lc
.375 member

Reged: 19/01/18
Loc: Georgia, USA
      #375477 - 24/03/23 05:12 AM

Quote:

I saw a 'joke' once of a couple bucks talking. One said to the other, there's 2 hunters over there stinking of stale doe urine. There's another in that tree, who smells like a skunk.

Giid ones, Daryl

--------------------
RB

DarylS
.700 member

Re: 20 tips for better hunting results [Re: 85lc]
      #375479 - 24/03/23 06:22 AM

"Don't close an unclocked bolt on a live round in the chamber. The firing pin will rest on the primer. ???

Is this true? Don't primers rebound! They're not loose sliding around and even protruding resting on a primer. Or are they? Any particular rifles at fault. "

I never do this with a bolt action, Mauser-type rifles, due to the hard pressure of the pin against the primer. Dropping the gun "could" cause a discharge.

SxS's with rebounding hammers do not share this event.

On bolt rifles, I always store them uncocked, with the pin sticking out of the bolt.

--------------------
Daryl

3DogMike
.400 member

Reged: 29/01/15
Loc: Western Slope, Colorado USA
      #375517 - 25/03/23 01:47 PM

Yes, I cannot figure out the:
“… 14. Never close a de-cocked bolt on a live round, as the firing pin is in hard contact with the primer. Carry it bolt closed on an empty chamber or bolt open until in the final stages of your stalk.….”

How is this a “thing”? On any cock on opening bolt gun (Mauser) I can’t figure out how one would chamber a round upon closing the bolt with the firing pin down. Plus, if the firing pin were protruding when closing the bolt, on a controlled feed rifle, would not the cartridge head hang up on the firing pin?
Single shot and Double Rifle, the same……

OK, I understand the “no round in the chamber” idea, but that falls apart when close to game or walking up birds with a shotgun.

Call me confused…. (now maybe my evening “wee Dram” has impacted my thinking?)
- Mike

--------------------
"Here's to killing people you don't like with people you do"

"Will Rogers never met a fighter pilot"
- Anon

“Always carry a flask of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore always carry a small snake."
-- W. C. Fields

DarylS
.700 member

Re: 20 tips for better hunting results [Re: 3DogMike]
      #375549 - 26/03/23 03:46 AM

I read somewhere of some holding the trigger back when chambering a ctg. so the rifle's bolt is uncocked, with a round in the chamber. To fire, simply raise the bolt then lock it down, aim and fire, sort of a double safety.
I assume that is what they are talking about & no, it is not a Canadian 'thing'. I read that in Guns and Ammo, or Shooting Times - one of those, maybe Guns.

--------------------
Daryl

3DogMike
.400 member

Reged: 29/01/15
Loc: Western Slope, Colorado USA
      #375552 - 26/03/23 05:16 AM

Hi Daryl,
Oh I never considered that #14 ”technique” a Canadian thing (well, maybe in Quebec soy boy coffee shops)
It does sound like some gun magazine writers great idea.

Yes, I had thought of the hold the trigger back while closing the bolt. Not sure I would be comfortable around just any one doing that in proximity to me? ……especially if they were in the habit of closing the bolt aggressively.

Guessing that writer never hunts with a hammerless like a Ruger No.1, Savage 99, Martini Henry, etc.?
- Mike

--------------------
"Here's to killing people you don't like with people you do"

"Will Rogers never met a fighter pilot"
- Anon

“Always carry a flask of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore always carry a small snake."
-- W. C. Fields

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 24 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 1008

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com