Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: 500 Jeffery 505 Gibbs

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Australia, NZ & the South Pacific

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Michael
.275 member

Reged: 28/07/05
Loc: Darwin, Northern Territory
Re: 500 Jeffery 505 Gibbs [Re: NitroX]
      #369404 - 20/09/22 04:15 PM

Gentlemen, congratulations on great pictures, excellent taste in rifles and a hunt done the right way. It inspires us all.

I was born and bred in Darwin and outside a 15 year window where I lived in Melbourne and chased Sambar and other (to me) “exotics, I have hunted everything that the NT has to offer outside of Coburg Banteng and Sambar.

The majority of my time was spent in swamps chasing pigs and geese; buff hunts were a distraction; mainly conducted for interstate friends who wanted the experience. Seldom did we target them as locals, we were more into the camaraderie of the team hunts chasing hogs with dogs, it was and is great fun.

A rifle was only used as a “break glass” option when the dogs chased or worse still, lugged a buff in a swamp or surrounding jungle. Not an uncommon occurrence and one we actively tried to avoid.

My boots of choice during all these years were the British Army pattern Jungle Boots the canvas and rubber type as they were tall and provided ankle support when running through ruts and they laced right up which meant they were not lost in the bog of a swamp.

My personal choice was not popular in my crew with most choosing old runners and dive boots but they worked for me (and my dicky ankles). Currently I am trialling the US Army Jungle Boot; the leather, canvas and rubber type to see if they are an improvement. The jury is still out as I just acquired these via Amazon.

What prompted this reply was the comment to choose stitch down boots as the heat will delaminate the glue from non-stitched boots. I must admit as all my hunting was coastal flood plain and surrounding swamps our feet and shoes didn’t get that hot although the weather is always extreme, with heat and humidity as a rule. Our boots/shoes failed because they were constantly wet.

As I get older the boys and I find it harder to coordinate a hunt with family, work and social commitments taking priority so am thinking of smaller or solo hunts without the dogs and targeting buff. Travel will be mainly via the quad but I would love to walk them up
as well; boots and hydration are key points made in your story that has been in my mind for some time. In our harsh environment you cannot afford to get this wrong.

I have a pair of Courtney boots acquired for a safari that has been delayed, and am looking seriously at the Green River African Rangers, which are an African import as well.

In your experience what did the boys wear, what was their experience after doing the serious kilometres every day and what would you choose next time.

I have loaded the 375 H&H with some 350 grain Woodleighs and need to try them out.

Thanks once again for one of the best posts I have seen on this forum in years.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Michael
.275 member

Re: 500 Jeffery 505 Gibbs [Re: Michael]
      #369406 - 20/09/22 07:18 PM

Slight correction to the above:

Green River African Rangers, which are an African import as well.

Should be Jim Green African Ranger boots.

.375 member

Reged: 15/02/11
Loc: NT Australia
      #369407 - 20/09/22 08:27 PM

haven't found any boots that can do the NT conditions . Run the cheap Merels or Keens, light weight and expendable. Bowhunted the swamps for years in booties or volleys.
Tried some of the expensive boots and ruined all of them so stuck with the cheaper options.
Just retired from the NT after doing 35 yrs up there. Darwin, and Jabiru mainly.
Great place and hunting. Im not missing the heat.
Cheers Mick

Michael
.275 member

Re: 500 Jeffery 505 Gibbs [Re: 264]
      #369417 - 21/09/22 09:27 AM

Your experience reflects my observations with my personal, and mates footwear choices.

Mud, swamp and heat are a poisonous combination for most boots and this is why the Jungle Boots with a liberal application of Shoo-Goo on the rubber / canvas seam-joint is the only thing that I have found survives long term. That said the underfoot comfort leaves a lot to be desired.

I will try the Jim Green African Rangers just because I like them anyway and my Courtney’s are maybe a tad too small, probably need to be broken in further.

I like Keens and have their sandal type shoe for casual wear and they are comfortable probably as good as anything else; Hi-Tech deserve a mention as a cheap “disposable” boot alternative that will provide some comfort and support before they inevitably expire.

Good luck with your new life far, far away. The NT is certainly different but hunting opportunities are not as prevalent as some other states, particularly Victoria with the State Game Reserves, State Forest and National Park available for hunting with the relevant game licences and no booking system required. This is the Gold Standard.

The NT does have a freedom aspect to many things, certainly what we have experienced growing up and hunting in the 80’s, 90’s and a little beyond but I have found the place radically different on my return and miss many aspects of the hunting opportunities in Victoria. That said the hills are a bugger to hunt but the cool weather makes camping awesome!

Good luck with the retirement and thank you for taking the time to reply.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
      #369433 - 21/09/22 09:56 PM

I've never found the Top End exceptionally tough on boots. No tougher than many other places.

Hot? No hotter than SA or Central Australia in 40 deg C plus temps. Or Africa.

Soils? The soils of the Top End are soft. Hard baked in the Dry Season sure. Of course some areas particularly hilly or mountainous are stony or rocky.

Compare to say the Flinders or Gibber plains. In days gone by I wore out a newish pair of Rossi or Blundstone style slip on farm boot soles in a single day's hunting. Learned a lesson there. Some foreign parts there is nothing but masses of rocks underfoot.

Indeed even fallow hunting the constant large round rocks hidden in the grass is angle and boot stressing.

Swampy, wet muddy country? Exists everywhere. Funny experienced that in the Okavango. Quicksands here in SA. Yep it is a pain having to cross a kilometre of buffalo wallow mud pools, sucking mud, one gets wet and mucky. Seriously don't come buffalo hunting if one can't walk in muddy wet sucking mud. It's going to happen.

But good boots are fine.

I've had two pairs of Scarpas for a long time. One heavier and one supposedly lighter. No sole separation.

Courteney boots are more for show IMO. Or easy country. Never had a pair. They wouldn't sell them at the factory door for $25 anymore. And the Indian stores in Bulawayo wanted rip off US$300 a pair same as London. No bargaining. I just said Ffff off. In attitude anyway, not words.

Long walks in tropical country, dry season, I do choose a somewhat sturdier boot. Rather than a softer soled stalking boot. My somewhat lighter Scarpas work fine.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Marrakai
.416 member

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: Darwin, Top End of Australia
      #369437 - 21/09/22 10:19 PM

If Scarpas made a EE Wide they might sell a few more.

Boots in the Top End are certainly an endless stream of dissatisfaction. I usually manage 12 to 18 months out of the light-weights but the last 6 of those months are always hoping and praying. Have had to "roman-sandal" soles back on with para-cord and tape to get back to camp, more than once! ...trying to get just one more hunt out of a well-worn pair.

Almost all stitched-sole leather boots are just too heavy.

Remember too that no-one can match the miles of hard-country yomping that Mick and his crew thrive on!

--------------------
Marrakai
When the bull drops, the bullshit stops!
--------------------------------
www.marrakai-adventure.com.au

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: 500 Jeffery 505 Gibbs [Re: Marrakai]
      #369440 - 21/09/22 10:48 PM

Quote:

If Scarpas made a EE Wide they might sell a few more.

I need a high instep. Meindls just wouldn't fit. I didn't need them anyway. My Scarpas are old but fine still. I did buy the second "lighter" pair. Side by side not much difference, I needn't have bothered.

At home I just use the farm boots Rossis. Lighter. Elastic sides. Easy to take off and on at the farm. In winter I'm often soaked by the highish grass. So my Scarpas have lasted a long time.

Quote:

Almost all stitched-sole leather boots are just too heavy.

True. Never used to bother me. But as time goes on .... Pathetic!

Quote:

Remember too that no-one can match the miles of hard-country yomping that Mick and his crew thrive on!

True! Supermick!

It's good to read of their exploits.

PS and choices of rifles!

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Waidmannsheil
.400 member

Reged: 19/04/13
Loc: Melbourne Australia
      #369600 - 27/09/22 09:42 PM

I have two pairs of Courtney boots and they are the most comfortable boot I have ever had, I know many people with them and everyone says the same. I wore a pair on the trip and they handled the terrain and heat perfectly with zero wear. I wear mine constantly other than at work, I wouldn't wear anything else. They are very long lasting and the soles take a very long time to wear even a bit.

I use Redback Air Cell inner soles.

If you have a wider foot like me you need to order a half size bigger which are the same length but wider, so I take 9.5's where I normally take a size 9 in all other shoes. Courtney give you that option.

Just about to order another pair but these will be the Patrol boots which are a taller version of the Selous.

Matt.

--------------------
There is nothing wrong with vegetarian food, so long as there is meat with it.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: 500 Jeffery 505 Gibbs [Re: Waidmannsheil]
      #369618 - 28/09/22 03:40 PM

I'd like a pair ... When I can afford them! Where do you get yours?

I don't like buying boots off the net, especially internationally. I like to try on for fit. If they don't fit more difficult and costly to return.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Edited by NitroX (28/09/22 03:41 PM)

Rod4861
.300 member

Reged: 12/06/07
Loc: Queensland, Australia
      #369621 - 28/09/22 05:35 PM

A great write up. Well done….thanks for making the effort to write it up. I really enjoyed it. Great photos too.

Rod

Waidmannsheil
.400 member

Reged: 19/04/13
Loc: Melbourne Australia
      #369625 - 28/09/22 11:22 PM

I buy mine from the Australian agent

https://www.courteneyboot.com.au/

Malcom Nott is the name of the agent and he is a very nice chap but stone deaf so you will need to really yell if you use the phone or else use email which he does anyway.

Buying off him is really easy and trouble free. I ordered a pair of Selous boots in size 9 which turned out to be too tight so I rang him and he asked if I had a wide foot which I do, so he sent me a pair of 9.5's and they fitted perfectly. Malcom paid for the freight of the second set of boots to be delivered and he paid for the freight to have the first pair returned.

Once you let him know what boots and pattern you after he will check what he has, and if he has stock off what you want he takes pictures of the boots outside in sunlight and emails them too you, so that you can see if you are happy with the colour of the boots on offer.

Matt.

--------------------
There is nothing wrong with vegetarian food, so long as there is meat with it.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: 500 Jeffery 505 Gibbs [Re: Waidmannsheil]
      #369642 - 29/09/22 05:39 PM

Thanks Matt. Can I impose on you what you expect as the price? On the thread or by pm? So I don't waste the guys time if it is too much for me at present.

Never mind. On the link!

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Edited by NitroX (29/09/22 05:40 PM)

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: 500 Jeffery 505 Gibbs [Re: 264]
      #370908 - 30/10/22 12:04 PM

Quote:

On Hydration. we manage our core temp by using iced water from 360 or yeti 1.5lt insulated bottles. As per DR Matt Brearlys studies on heat exhaustion (Google It.) Work uses his program for heat stress managment.
Usually carry 3 litres for the day , water load before leaving camp down a 600ml bottle , and carry another 600 ml bottle which is consumed at first stop/ 4-5km in. Route is planned around water availability from springs , creeks or known water sources. Topping up at every opportunity. Also cooling your head , nape of neck, which helps keep core temp down.
Usualy still have iced water for the trip out.
Chris M put me onto the iced bottles.

Purchased a couple of broad mouthed Yeti 1.3 L bottles to give a try this summer. The tractor cab used to be air conditioned cool but doesn't seem to work well now? Must fix! But a sweat hot box for 6 to 14 hours at a go. Iced Yeti water will be given a good test.

Trying it out with coffee today.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Edited by NitroX (30/10/22 12:05 PM)

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#375277 - 18/03/23 07:46 PM

Good hydration and boot comments on this thread.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 33 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 4818

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com