Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Venison is Venison...

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Australia, NZ & the South Pacific

Pages: 1
Marrakai
.416 member

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: Darwin, Top End of Australia
Venison is Venison...
      #352236 - 10/04/21 07:53 PM

After the covid year that never was, I was itching to get another crack at the Cressbrook Valley stags. My nephew had postponed his 2020 wedding for 12 months, so we were headed for SE Queensland in the first week of March anyway, but it would be a bit early for the red deer roar. I stopped short of asking the bride to postpone for another fortnight or so to fit in with my hunting plans! Nevertheless I was hoping for an early cold snap to get things moving, but unfortunately the warm weather persisted and the allotted week arrived too soon. As it was I ended up with only 3 days on my own while the good wife attended to other pressing family commitments.

Having driven up the evening before, dawn on the first morning saw me heading up the divide in misty rain, but the hills had been silent all night with not a single stag roaring. As I made my way slowly along a ridgeline a couple of hours later, I spotted movement on the opposite face and a good stag came into view. He was about 500 metres away across a steep lantana-choked ravine, with patchy rain drifting through, so I sat on a log to watch him for a while.

Unfortunately he seemed unable to get comfortable in the rain and did the gradual fade-away into the lantana below. I quickly realized that there were two other stags higher up the slope, one still in velvet but the other a respectable 4x4 with a very plump profile when he turned end-on. There was plenty of grass in the hills and that stag was fat as butter!

Righto, we need a plan!

The ravine was pretty-much non-negotiable from a stalking perspective, but there was a spur running off my ridge a few hundred metres back, so I waited for a rain-scud to come through and hurried back to see if it would place me close enough for a realistic chance. I soon found an opening that gave me an unrestricted view of the opposite face. Sitting at the base of a tree with elbows on knees and the back of my forward hand well-supported, I spent about another 15 minutes or so trying to talk myself into making the shot.

Eventually the rain cleared and the stag was standing side-on looking absolutely magnificent, so without further thought I held about 2 inches above the top his shoulders and squeezed the trigger. Not sure what I was expecting, but I clearly recall absolute astonishment as the stag went down as if pole-axed!

He kicked a few times on the ground, and then I watched in awe as he began to slide down the steep slope. Twice he hung up for a few seconds, then continued downwards into a narrow side-gully where I lost sight of him. A clatter of rocks followed, then silence. It would be more than half an hour, some of it spent trying to shelter from a particularly heavy downpour, before I eventually negotiated the ravine and climbed up the wet slippery hillside to his precarious position.

This is where he eventually hung up, antlers stuck in the wet ground!

After sliding some 35 metres he had come to rest on a small ledge in the steep gully, and I couldn't risk rolling him for the photo or he would certainly have slid a further 50 metres or more down the gully, likely taking me with him. Had to set up the camera with him lying on his back!

Removing the meat was rather difficult too, but eventually I was loaded up with both rumps and both back-straps plus the head, slipping and sliding on the wet grass and clay while contouring the steep hills to get back to the divide. Without doubt the most dangerous carry-out I've ever done! Absolutely smashed me!
Amazing just how good that venison tasted!
...and absolutely stoked to bag a hard-antler stag on my first morning, before the roar even got started.

Furthermore, I do believe that's the longest shot I've ever made on game in my entire life! The bullet was a 150gr Sierra Pro-Hunter driven at modest velocity, so the 14 or 15 inches of drop to centre of shoulder would put the distance a good bit over 300 metres.

Just ordered a range-finder on ebay!

--------------------
Marrakai
When the bull drops, the bullshit stops!
--------------------------------
www.marrakai-adventure.com.au

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Marrakai
.416 member

Re: Venison is Venison... [Re: Marrakai]
      #352238 - 10/04/21 07:55 PM

After bagging that good stag on the first morning of my hunt, I was itching to get back "up the hill" but the forecast for the next day was for heavy rain all day. When I awoke next morning, it was clear the met bureau had got it right! I just couldn't motivate myself to step out from camp into pouring rain so drove back down to Brizzy to cut up the venison and boil the head.

The following day was forecast for "scattered showers" however, so I took the plunge and drove back up that evening for an early start next day regardless of the weather. Luckily the gods were smiling and I managed to dodge most of the rain all morning, but had walked my butt off without seeing or hearing a thing. By mid-afternoon I was clambering up the furthest ridge on the neighbour's place when I heard a stag roar! The first one I had heard so far this year, and back towards camp from my position, so off I went at my best pace!

Cutting a fairly straight line through that steep hill country is virtually impossible, but luckily the stag kept roaring so eventually I found myself within about 150 metres of the randy red. In front of me was a lantana-choked gully with vertical banks, so I moved forward to an opening at its edge and sat down to glass for the stag. He was in a dense thicket and I could only get glimpses of his body and rack, a big dark animal with heavy 4x4 antlers. Nice!

Try as I might, I just couldn't find a window through the scrub for my bullet. He was moving around quite a bit though, bashing-up any small trees in his way, so I was happy to sit there with the wind in my face awaiting an opportunity.

As I looked around through the binos I was suddenly shocked by the sudden appearance of another stag, just inside the thicket, and between me and the roaring stag! OK, so no chance of making it through the gully without detection. ...and I couldn't go around, because of wind direction. Hmm.

Well, I had come here for the roar, hoping to have a conversation with a rutting stag, so here was my chance to make something happen. I closed the bolt on the Ruger, pulled out my piece of poly-pipe and let rip!

Well the big fellow completely ignored my outburst. In retrospect I can only assume he thought it was the smaller deer roaring at him from my direction. The young fellow however nearly jumped out of his skin! He bolted straight out of the thicket towards my position and propped at about 40 metres, staring a hole straight through me! I was sitting completely in the open. The jig was up!

So I shot him instead. Venison is venison...

--------------------
Marrakai

Marrakai
.416 member

#352246 - 10/04/21 09:27 PM

Amongst my son-in-law's siblings are the owners of a number of pastoral holdings, one of which has a few chital hanging around the basalt springs and swamps. In the past we have not had time when travelling to drop in and check out the hunting opportunities, but this time a clear 14 days was required after leaving SE Queensland's "covid hot-spots" before entering the Northern Territory, so we elected to do our self-isolation on a cattle station!

After cracking two hard-antler red stags in two days of hunting in the Brisbane Valley a week earlier, I was on a bit of a high with optimistic visions of sitting on the station-house verandah and picking out a nice 30-inch chital stag for the shot. Little did I realize that it would be a serious challenge just to get the cross-hairs onto a patch of spotted hide!

Apparently the region had experienced two weeks of soaking rain a month or so before our arrival, and the deer were scattered to the four winds. The few that remained in the closer paddocks were either invisible in the waist-high grass, or inaccessible in the brim-full swamps. The expected deer tracks and little piles of pellets were entirely absent.

The first day of hard-walking in the basalt almost destroyed my ankles, but I did see one chital hind running flat-out after getting my wind, and was privileged to watch a young stag for quite a while but without opportunity for a shot. He was standing in a clump of tee-tree about 150 metres upwind of me, partially obscured by timber, but appeared to sense he was being watched. I was in heavy cover but with nothing but open ground between us. After about half an hour of hyper-vigilance he had had enough and faded back into the swamp.

The next morning I was skirting a heavily-grassed blacksoil plain when I saw the tips of a hind's ears above the grass, then a second set. A pair of hinds was feeding slowly across my wind, and only about 40 metres distant. Just as I made up my mind to try for some venison, they cut my scent and immediately tore off across the plain, pronking occasionally to look behind for the source of the dreaded man-smell. What a pretty sight!

By mid-afternoon I was weary and footsore so decided to head back to the homestead and call it a day. Cutting through the edge of a tee-tree swamp I was suddenly confronted by the sight of a spotted deer rump! By great good fortune I had approached from behind a heavy blow-down, and the animal's head had not yet come into view so he hadn't yet seen me. I had already decided that with so few chital present, the next available was going to receive a bullet. I could clearly see the black stripe down the animal's spine so knew it was a stag, but had no idea whether or not antlers were even present.

After silently closing the bolt, I carefully shouldered the rifle and moved ever-so-slowly to my left, gradually exposing more of the deer until his shoulder became visible in the cross-hairs.
Boom! Dropped him on the spot.

I was less than 3 kilometres from the homestead in a straight line, so had plenty of time to get the meat cooled properly in the shade and the hindquarters completely boned out. Even so, packing-out the backstraps and hindquarters around the swamp and across the blacksoil plain was not trivial. In the end I was glad to avoid rolling an ankle on the numerous basalt rocks invisible in the long grass.

That venison tasted pretty damn good too!

--------------------
Marrakai

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
      #352250 - 10/04/21 11:20 PM

Good stories and a fair amount of venison as well. I hope you kept the chital stag's skins for tanning. Some little skull caps for the wall. Well done.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
Re: Venison is Venison... [Re: NitroX]
      #352259 - 11/04/21 02:25 AM

Great stories to read.. some very fine hunting right there..

Interesting to read about different areas of the world to hunt.. Congrats on collecting nice venison

Glad you ordered a rangefinder..

Don't think I have hunted without one for the past 20 years...I used to shoot as you described in your story.. and was a lot of fun as well.. just a bit more precise with the rangefinder..

Thanks for posting

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: Venison is Venison... [Re: Ripp]
      #352265 - 11/04/21 04:54 AM

Well done Marrakai, well done.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

93x64mm
.416 member

Reged: 07/12/11
Loc: Nth QLD Australia
Re: Venison is Venison... [Re: DarylS]
      #352270 - 11/04/21 06:51 AM

Glad your quarantine was productive Marrakai!
Good stag there mate, he'll be tasty & tender, not stirred up at all!
Certainly hope you got the hide, they make lovely rugs those ones.
Well done indeed

.375 member

Reged: 15/02/11
Loc: NT Australia
Re: Venison is Venison... [Re: 93x64mm]
      #352274 - 11/04/21 09:52 AM

Nice, well done. Cheers Mick

Louis
.375 member

Reged: 13/05/15
Loc: France
Re: Venison is Venison... [Re: 264]
      #352284 - 11/04/21 07:01 PM

Thank you for this excellent hunt report Marrakai and congratulations on your stalking skills as well as on your impressive harvest; which rifle, calibre and optics did you use? Acquiring a rangefinder is a really common sense decision that will make your hunter's life more simple and effective.
Louis

--------------------
"Everything that doesn't kill me makes me stronger"

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: Venison is Venison... [Re: 264]
      #352286 - 11/04/21 07:26 PM

BTW Tony you've added that "lockdown" look with the nice beard and moustache!

I can't talk, I look like an old bushie and last year had a five month beard and hair "style" with no haircuts or beard trimming. The true bushie hermit look!

Actually going for the "colonial" look like my G-G Grandpa.

Good to see the beard brother!

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

tinker
.416 member

Reged: 12/03/05
Loc: Nevada
      #352302 - 11/04/21 10:56 PM

Quote:

That venison tasted pretty damn good too!

It looks like you did well with all of these.
You'll be fat and happy!

Congratulations on the nice haul.

--------------------
--Self-Appointed Colonel, DRSS--

"It IS a dangerous game, and so named for a reason, and you can't play from the keyboard. " --Some Old Texan...

Marrakai
.416 member

Re: Venison is Venison... [Re: tinker]
      #352325 - 12/04/21 11:32 AM

Thanks for your kind comments gentlemen.

Quote:

which rifle, calibre and optics did you use?

Louis: The rifle I seem to end up with in my hands on these interstate trips where hunting in the rain is inevitable, is my everyday culling rifle. Its a Ruger M77 Mk.II RSI in .308, with a 2-7x28 VX2 Leupold Ultralight. The good points are modern build, so not worried about dings in the stock, or surface rust on the metal (although I have to say, despite being chrome-moly it just doesn't rust!). The short barrel makes it safe to carry muzzle-down in steep country with plenty of ground clearance, and I can carry it one-handed like a pistol with the bolt-handle in the web of my thumb and forefinger. That ability to carry it safely with a round in the chamber and bolt-handle 'locked' in the open position when approaching game is a big advantage over a Mauser. Closing the bolt to make the shot is absolutely silent.

Every year though, I contemplate taking my .275 Rigby, Kurz Mauser, or a 6.5 Mannlicher from the collection, but they would definitely be subjected to a bit of wear and tear, and possibly even damage, so my tardiness in prepping those classics for the hills is not necessarily a bad thing!

Quote:

You'll be fat and happy!

Tinker: the little fridge in our camper-van was absolutely chockers with venison when we headed home!
Barely enough room to chill a bottle of shiraz!
(yes, I know... but the inside of a fridge is room-temperature in wine country! )

--------------------
Marrakai

tinker
.416 member

Reged: 12/03/05
Loc: Nevada
      #352328 - 12/04/21 12:27 PM

Quote:

the little fridge in our camper-van was absolutely chockers with venison when we headed home!

Very good to hear.

Nice rifle too - we've had quite a few of the full stock Ruger bolt rifles through the shop lately for all sorts of things, from sights to rebarreling, to stock wood upgrades.
Really cool and handy rifles.
Those light 2-7 Leupold scopes are perfect for that slim and light look.

--------------------
--Self-Appointed Colonel, DRSS--

"It IS a dangerous game, and so named for a reason, and you can't play from the keyboard. " --Some Old Texan...

Louis
.375 member

Reged: 13/05/15
Loc: France
Re: Venison is Venison... [Re: tinker]
      #352387 - 13/04/21 05:39 PM

Thank you Marrakai; this little Ruger seems very practical to use indeed in such rough circumstances and the .308 is a much versatile caliber.
Louis

--------------------
"Everything that doesn't kill me makes me stronger"

paradox_
.375 member

Reged: 12/05/07
Loc: Australia
Re: Venison is Venison... [Re: Louis]
      #352389 - 13/04/21 06:41 PM

Well done again Tony
Best
Eric

--------------------
Walk softly and carry a big stick

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 45 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2012

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com