Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Expect pressure on our feral pigs

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Australia, NZ & the South Pacific

Pages: 1
NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Expect pressure on our feral pigs
      #334357 - 10/11/19 01:55 PM

Watching Landline today, and again hearing of the African Swine Fever disease spreading across the world, among domestic pigs almost everywhere especially China, and even wild boar in Belgium.

It is NOT in Australia. Closest is Bali.

Someone said it can not be stopped. ONLY in Australia if we accept incompetent border controls. Time to start gaoling the Chink arseholes trying to smuggle in suitcases of 'speciality' foods they can not get here.

BUT with the huge pork losses in China, I have no doubt at all, our feral pigs will become a source of pork to fed the human locusts of the world in China. There was a comment the entire Aussie beef sales in a year would be a small fraction of the Chinese losses.

Meat prices are forcasted to increase by a large amount.

I expect more professional culling of feral pigs for export chillers.

I expect properties to be closed off for sporting hunting.

I EXPECT CALLS FOR MASSIVE CULLING OF FERAL PIGS TO REMOVE THE RISK OF SPREADING THE DISEASE.

I reckon us Aussies might face the end perhaps temporarily, of the unlimited feral pig hunting, we have enjoyed for decades. And perhaps have to shoot a couple, not leave them to rot, and actually eat them!

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: Expect pressure on our feral pigs [Re: NitroX]
      #334358 - 10/11/19 01:58 PM

https://www.abc.net.au/news/rural/2019-09-30/african-swine-fever-outbreak-in-timor-leste/11559812

African swine fever on Australia's doorstep, with outbreaks confirmed in Timor-Leste pig farms

ABC Rural
By Matt Brann

Posted 30 September 2019 at 4:33 pm
Pigs in mud behind a wire fence.
Timor Leste is the 10th Asian country to confirm the presence of African swine fever. (ABC Rural: Jon Daly)
The pig-killing disease known as African swine fever (ASF) is now on Australia's doorstep, with confirmation of several outbreaks in Timor-Leste.

Key points:
African swine fever (ASF) has been found in Timor-Leste, around 650 kilometres from Australia
Despite being on 'Asia's doorstep', the Darwin Airport does not have a working detector dog
According to one analyst, the current spread of ASF could see the world's pig population halve by the middle of next year
It is estimated the disease has already wiped out 25 per cent of the world's pig population.

According to Timor-Leste's Ministry of Agriculture and Fisheries, there have been 100 reported outbreaks of African swine fever in smallholder pig farms in the Dili municipality, in which 405 pigs have died.

Meat and livestock analyst Simon Quilty, who has been researching the disease's spread throughout China and South-East Asia, said ASF was now 650 kilometres from Australia.

"The presence of African swine fever in Timor is alarming to say the least, having jumped 1,500 to 2,000 kilometres [from the Philippines and Vietnam] and puts the disease on Australia's doorstep," he said.

"The cause of contamination is still unknown but if other infected countries are a guide, then humans are the likely cause of migration via either contaminated food products or simply [from being] present on clothing and shoes and carried into Timor from an infected country."

Swine Fever Interview: Simon QuiltyPlaySpace to play or pause, M to mute, left and right arrows to seek, up and down arrows for volume.
WATCH

4m 29s
Swine Fever Interview: Simon Quilty ( Landline )
NT a 'hotspot' for possible incursion
Dr Peter Saville, manager of emergency animal disease preparedness in the Northern Territory, said while all states and territories had been preparing their responses to a possible incursion of ASF, the NT was an obvious concern for authorities.

"We've been identified as a hotspot because we have a lot of backyard pigs and we have a close association with South-East Asia," he said.

"We are working towards getting everyone registered who is keeping pigs, so we can contact them rapidly if we need to.

"We do have plans in place and exercised them recently and had really good responses from Police, Fire and Emergency Services, the NT Cattlemen's Association, and the Chief Minister's office among others, so the cooperation is building.

"And today, all of the practising veterinarians in the NT were notified of the outbreak in Timor and asked to report any significant cases."

Dr Guy Weerasinghe, a Darwin-based veterinary policy officer with the Department of Agriculture, has recently been training remote Indigenous rangers in how to identify the symptoms of African swine fever.

The area dead pigs are being buried at a Chinese piggery.
China has culled millions of pigs since African swine fever was confirmed in August 2018. (Supplied: Da Yu Enterprise Co.)
Dr Weerasinghe said the NT's large feral pig population was at risk of infection.

"Feral pigs can enter into what we call a 'carrier status', so they can trot around and spread the disease around," Mr Weerasinghe said.

"We have a very large feral pig population across northern Australia, so they could spread it all across northern Australia and potentially down south.

"This virus is very hardy, so you could get [infected] feral pigs trotting around, then someone could walk through that and get contaminated shoes, then walk into a piggery and potentially affect our domestic pigs."

Hunters and pig owners in the NT been asked to report any unusual pig deaths to the Emergency Animal Disease Watch Hotline on 1800 675 888.
No detector dogs in Darwin
Earlier this month the Federal Government brought together an 'emergency roundtable of experts' to discuss ways of stopping ASF from entering the country.

Australian airports were identified as the mostly likely path for the disease to enter, and the lack of resources at airports was raised as a significant issue.

For example, the number of detector dogs protecting Australia's borders has been cut by more than half in recent years, going from 80 in 2012 to 36 in 2019.

The international airport at Darwin, which has nine inbound flights from Dili a week, is one airport where there are no sniffer dogs.

Authorities instead rely on "detection technologies such as x-ray to assist with screening of passengers".

Dr Saville said it would be better if Darwin Airport had a working detector dog.

"It would certainly increase our ability to detect food-stuffs that are being brought through," he said.

"We regard the introduction of contaminated food products as the major risk of entry for this disease."

In a statement, the Federal Department of Agriculture said it was monitoring the risk of ASF across the region.

"Additional briefings are being provided to biosecurity officers who risk assess and manage travellers arriving from Timor-Leste into Darwin," it said.

"The department is writing directly to airlines arriving from ASF countries so airline crew are appropriately briefed to support passengers in understanding biosecurity requirements and completing accurate declarations before entering Australia.

"The department has provided information in-country in Timor-Leste to high-risk cohorts, such as seasonal farm workers travelling to the Northern Territory, and is looking at further options for offshore messaging."

Mr Quilty said each year about 20 million travellers passed through Australia's international airports.

"The department screens about 6.3 million of those travellers per year of which 4 per cent are deemed as a high biosecurity risk," he said.

"Now that's a lot of people, that's 250,000 people going through our airports every year that are deemed as high risk."

World's pig population crashing
According to Mr Quilty, Timor-Leste is the 10th nation in Asia to have the disease.

The other nations are China, Vietnam, Laos, Myanmar, North Korea, South Korea, Mongolia, the Philippines and Cambodia, which along with Timor have a combined total of 522 million pigs out of an estimated global population of 770 million pigs.

"The recent accelerated rate of contamination in China could see an estimated 70 per cent of all pigs gone by the end of 2019," he said.

"But if using the same percentage of infection across all of Asia over a similar 16-month period, this would equate to 365 million head or 48 per cent of global pigs … [being] gone by mid-next year."

Let that sink in for a moment: nearly one in every two pigs dead by the middle of next year.

African swine fever facts:
The virus is a highly contagious disease that can affect domestic and wild pigs
It is usually fatal in infected pigs
There is no treatment or vaccine available
The most likely sources of infection are pork products, porcine genetic material and incursions by infected pigs
Source: Australian Pork

On Twitter, the new CEO of Australian Pork Limited, Margo Andrae, said when it came to biosecurity, everyone had a role to play.

"Just returned from global pork conference and heard every measure from fences, work on vaccines, through to military action on wild pigs," she wrote.

"Australian industry and Government working hard to stop entry, but also be prepared in case.

"Asking every Aussie to be aware and not bring any meat product in."

Related articles
One quarter of world's pigs killed by African swine fever, analysts estimate
WA pig farmers jailed over illegal semen racket that spawned more than 2,000 piglets
Deadly pig disease African swine fever tests found positive in the Philippines

https://www.abc.net.au/news/rural/2019-09-30/african-swine-fever-outbreak-in-timor-leste/11559812

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Rule303
.416 member

Reged: 05/07/09
Loc: Woodford Qld
      #334362 - 10/11/19 04:47 PM

The inherent problem for pig hunters in Aust will be our govt departments. Most likely knee jerk and put massive restrictions onto people(hunters) entering properties due to bioversity measures. Most likely will prevent people from taking any wild animal meant from the farm.

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: Expect pressure on our feral pigs [Re: Rule303]
      #334373 - 11/11/19 04:08 AM

Nasty - haven't heard of it in Canada, however, have just heard the Chinese embargo on Canadian pork has been lifted. This now makes sense.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

9.3x57
.450 member

Reged: 22/04/07
Loc: United States
Re: Expect pressure on our feral pigs [Re: DarylS]
      #334395 - 12/11/19 12:54 AM

""We are working towards getting everyone registered who is keeping pigs, so we can contact them rapidly if we need to."

Naturally.

Very interesting.

I imagine some farmers and ranchers in the USA might consider it a boon.

The "Pig Bomb" in the USA has been considered unstoppable for many years and the expanding pig populations seemingly headed for representation in every state, here. Just read of some in Canada at the Montana border so fellows are discussing the future even here in Idaho. Hunters start drooling over the prospects of unlimited hunting of them {some day} but the downsides to uncontrollable pig populations are pretty well-known.

Then this...

Very interesting, Nitro. Thanks for posting.

Also stuff like this always makes one reflect a bit on a global pandemic affecting humans. Could such a thing start in pig populations and then make the leap to humans? Ah, I see yet another movie in the making.....

The 4-H kids are going to make bank next year if they can afford to buy a piglet in the first place. Piggy Bank!

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: Expect pressure on our feral pigs [Re: 9.3x57]
      #334412 - 12/11/19 11:49 AM

So African Swine Fever is not in North America?

Or people just have not hard about it?

So are the articles 'missing' to tell us it is NOT global "except for Australia"?

Is this another NWO BS propaganda campaign, perhaps to justify an increase in exports to China of meat? And higher domestic prices?

Or am I just paranoid?

We know 'they' keep on harping we have to eat less meat. Inventing continually different reasons why we should.

One comment we DID make sense was that as the Third World gets richer, they take on Western diet patterns such as more meat eating. The NWO believes this is not sustainable levels of meat consumption globally. ie I guess if China, India, SE Asia all starts to at a lot more meat, probably some 2.5 to 3 billion more people.

I do not understand the rationale and thinking behind the NWO's harping on about meat. What the true reasons are.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#334413 - 12/11/19 11:50 AM

PS Of course the African Swine Fever global epidemic might all be true.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#334414 - 12/11/19 11:52 AM

PPS Might be time to re-develop the old \farm home pig pens every farm once had. For personal production.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: Expect pressure on our feral pigs [Re: Rule303]
      #334415 - 12/11/19 11:54 AM

Quote:

The inherent problem for pig hunters in Aust will be our govt departments. Most likely knee jerk and put massive restrictions onto people(hunters) entering properties due to bioversity measures. Most likely will prevent people from taking any wild animal meant from the farm.

That's a good point. A likely kneejerk from the bureaucrats.

But only if ASF gets to Oz.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
      #334424 - 13/11/19 04:51 AM

Interesting hypothesis about 'staging' the pandemic. Entirely possible.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: Expect pressure on our feral pigs [Re: DarylS]
      #334434 - 13/11/19 12:58 PM

Daryl,

the Asian Bird Flu pandemic had somethings fishy about it as well.

Like it was a rehearsal.

Or cover for something else. Like a more serious disease which might cause a panic, a bio terrorist attack. Cover it with a "bird flu" and controls and restrictions needed. Less panic.

Or just more paranoia...

But as someone once said, just because you are paranoid does not make it untrue.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

lancaster
.470 member

Reged: 06/05/08
Loc: There's a lighthouse in the mi...
      #334593 - 19/11/19 04:51 AM

african swine fever comes closes,maybe 150-200 km east in poland they found a dead boar who had it,
we will see what the future brings.

denmark is building a fence on the boarder to germany to hold it out because they have probably the biggest pork industry in europe at all

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bbPG3r2LTWA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xWtJO-aCarM

--------------------
Norwegian hunter misses moose, shoots man on toilet
bringing civilisation to the barbarians

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 15 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3632

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com